the truth about electric cars

310golfr

@Winston_Woof I grew up in houses with White Meter and storage heaters and know all about 'off peak' / 'Economy'. 

You know when the hours are to have on the oven, washing, heating, charging the vehicle. 

It will be just an extension of that but with any control of that no longer in your hands.  

But really until they get a grip of Smart Meter reliability they are stuffed. 

As for China and Cyber Security that is just a laugh. 

You do not need to search.  You just needed to watch one i linked or others did.

Oliver Dowden and Iain Duncan Smith and David Camerons former friends know what you are doing. 

(I am glad the Chinese are watching them, someone needs to.) 

• Love it! 1

How about this video blog of car delivery driver, delivering a Citroen C4E from St Ives, Cornwall to Northampton, 320 miles and it took over 10 hours and multiple charging stops to make the delivery, which also included an overnight stopover.

This is his text from the video which is not visible if viewed through this forum, only visible if viewed on YT directly.

Drive a car from Cornwall to Northampton. Nice and easy. Not when it’s a milk float, the charging network is a disaster, it’s Easter holidays and the services are busy, and you’ve got a milk float with a crap range to start off with. Started out nice and turned into an epic of Gone with the Wind proportions. Mental. And reality. And definitely not progress.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

How about this video blog of car delivery driver, delivering a Citroen C4E from St Ives, Cornwall to Northampton, 320 miles and it took over 10 hours and multiple charging stops to make the delivery, which also included an overnight stopover.

This is his text from the video which is not visible if viewed through this forum, only visible if viewed on YT directly.

Drive a car from Cornwall to Northampton. Nice and easy. Not when it’s a milk float, the charging network is a disaster, it’s Easter holidays and the services are busy, and you’ve got a milk float with a crap range to start off with. Started out nice and turned into an epic of Gone with the Wind proportions. Mental. And reality. And definitely not progress.

Bloke is an idiot.

He is speeding (indicated 74 mph) clearly has now knowledge of the cubic relationship speed and energy usage.  

If he just cruised a bit slower he should have only needed one stop and if he done even the modicum of research he could have gone to a place where there is multiple charger where there are nearly always at least one or more pretty vacant to use.

Stellantis cars have not been good for range with the 50 kWh battery pack,  actual useable power only just 45 kWh on many of them and it is quite a big car.

That pack is better in the Corsa or the B segment cars rather than C segment where you really need around the 60 kwh packs and above. 

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

Take that in people.   He has plugged into a 22 kW charger and the car has an onboard 11 kW AC charger, hence 26 mph showing.  

A 'Fast charger is 7 kW' maybe you can call it 11 kW.  A Rapid is 43 kW AC / 50 kW DC, then above the you get 100, 100+, 125, 150, 250, 350 kW etc.

The Citroen has a Max charge of 100 kW.  On a 100 kW charger or a higher kW one.

Reality, it could have been in Cruise Control and then put in ECO, or Drive rather than Sport, it would have used less electric and you do not need to worry about it feeling like a slug.  If you need to accelerate you can, or just switch to Sport then back to ECO.

Edited by Rooted
  • Groan 1

24 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Take that in people.   He has plugged into a 22 kW charger and the car has an onboard 11 kW AC charger, hence 26 mph showing.  

A 'Fast charger is 7 kW' maybe you can call it 11 kW.  A Rapid is 43 kW AC / 50 kW DC, then above the you get 100, 100+, 125, 150, 250, 350 kW etc.

The Citroen has a Max charge of 100 kW.  On a 100 kW charger or a higher kW one.

Reality, it could have been in Cruise Control and then put in ECO, or Drive rather than Sport, it would have used less electric and you do not need to worry about it feeling like a slug.  If you need to accelerate you can, or just switch to Sport then back to ECO.

Have It in eco for part of the journey chillout at around 65 mph, can use kickdown even in eco, get to 90 mph in around 5 seconds, do your overtake then settle back to cruising.

There is a new hub round Chipenham, half a dozen ionity chargers and a nice cafe, don't stop at leigh dmD until it is upgraded in a few months time, dozens of chargers around Cribbs causeway Bristol.

Fail to prepare then prepare to fail.

• Like 1

The Vauxhall van must have been a 50 kW battery one and not a 75 kW.

I do wish that people would use the correct language.  The van could 'Roll' as it was being winched with the wheels turning and not like my Corsa electric that had to have Sliders because the Drive Wheels were locked when it broke down.

?

It just drove up to the charger did it not??  Or is it winched to the charger.   They can not normally drive with the drivers door open. 

Was it not run off the truck having been winched on some time ago on the motorway.

They say not to, But they can be towed to put power into the battery, just like when you 'Coast' down a hill and regen.  

Edited by Rooted

Geez, you guys are such harsh critics, do you not understand that this is NOT his own car, nor is it one that he has any access to normally, he is just a driver who gets to pick up a car from a dealer and drive it to the new customer where ever. They often just get told to report to a dealer at X location, and they will have a vehicle that needs to driven to Y location, and they might not even know what the vehicle is until they get to X and handed the keys by the dealer. 

When would he have had the opportunity to do any research on the car and its settings, or plan his route to take in the best chargers, etc. He was using an app which showed him where the chargers were supposed to be, some were, some weren't. Where there was plenty, as he clearly showed, they were all busy, and he had to use whatever was available and also wait in a queue. Likewise, he would not have known anything about what size of battery pack the car had, or even if it had an onboard charger etc.

He could have been picking up any type of vehicle, even a Hydrogen powered one and he just has to get on with the job of driving from X to Y and take off the trade plates, tuck them under his arm and find a way back home again, thats it.

You guys have had your respective electric cars for a while, and you also researched them before getting them, you were/are in a privileged position compared to these people who are not given the time to swot up on their vehicles. 😠

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

That’s why I suggested delivery on the back of a lorry lol

I got that, but these are just drivers who carry their own trade plates to drive on. The dealer could have placed it onto a diesel lorry and delivered it themselves but elected to take the lowest cost option. 

All of which is a clear demonstration of the pitfalls of buying a car from a dealer miles away and having it delivered, rather than collecting personally. When I purchased my car, I went from Chelmsford upto Mansfield and drove it back myself.

Edited by Graham Butcher

@Graham Butcher  I just do not expect him to be talking mince. He is another one like the MacMaster, stuff is for the banter. 

They deliver the Vans / Minibuses on transporters quite often because the range is so poor.

As for the delivery drivers i spent 1 hour with one taking a MINI from Aberdeen to London and even paid for his charge in Forfar by using my account.

He was in Aberdeen delivering a Tesla and was taking one back & then was landed with a MINI electric.  

I felt sorry for him. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Geez, you guys are such harsh critics, do you not understand that this is NOT his own car, nor is it one that he has any access to normally, he is just a driver who gets to pick up a car from a dealer and drive it to the new customer where ever. They often just get told to report to a dealer at X location, and they will have a vehicle that needs to driven to Y location, and they might not even know what the vehicle is until they get to X and handed the keys by the dealer. 

When would he have had the opportunity to do any research on the car and its settings, or plan his route to take in the best chargers, etc. He was using an app which showed him where the chargers were supposed to be, some were, some weren't. Where there was plenty, as he clearly showed, they were all busy, and he had to use whatever was available and also wait in a queue. Likewise, he would not have known anything about what size of battery pack the car had, or even if it had an onboard charger etc.

He could have been picking up any type of vehicle, even a Hydrogen powered one and he just has to get on with the job of driving from X to Y and take off the trade plates, tuck them under his arm and find a way back home again, thats it.

You guys have had your respective electric cars for a while, and you also researched them before getting them, you were/are in a privileged position compared to these people who are not given the time to swot up on their vehicles. 😠

Guy has not even got common sense. He could have 5 or ten minutes research and saved himself 5 hours but he bragged about charging waiting for charging also.

Did he never have the hare and the tortoise read to him as a child, or do physics as a subject at cse I wonder.

I did 205 miles yesterday in my EV. Similar battery size, arrived with 20 miles to spare and really zoomed at some stages.

image.png.3b783c694f19c15fdd94de5209aa9a40.png

Edited by lol-lol
  • Sad 1

When I was having company cars, one company used to source cars from all over the UK and get the best deal they could and the dealers would hire these drivers to drive the cars across the UK to my home and then I'd give them a lift to somewhere they wanted to go in order to catch a train home or hitch a ride on a motorway etc. It was the least I could for them after their long trip.

It might be going to get a little bit easier for folk who don't have the capability of home charging with the government's new scheme with on street parking and charging via kerbside chargers. However these are not likely to be be outside the owners houses, I doubt.

Government grant for home EV charging expanded to include on-street parking | Regit

Has anybody ever heard of a car brand called ElectraMeccanica? Then ever heard of their car called Solos?

More of a covered 3 wheeled motorcycles than cars but hey, they are a bona fide 100% electric vehicle, single seat with 2 doors.

EDIT: Extra

This video is not the original one I posted as that turned out to be private, not quite sure as to how I was able to see it in the first place but hey ho. This particular model is a newer one then those in the private video which were basic models selling around the $10,000 mark, these ones are twice that, wtf.

Edited by Graham Butcher

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

Has anybody ever heard of a car brand called ElectraMeccanica? Then ever heard of their car called Solos?

More of a covered 3 wheeled motorcycles than cars but hey, they are a bona fide 100% electric vehicle, single seat with 2 doors.

I didn't know the name, but I've seen advertising pictures on YouTube.

6 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

I didn't know the name, but I've seen advertising pictures on YouTube.

OK, thanks, they are quirky to say the least but apparently sell or sold for $10,000 each.

@olddog True and he also a few 2 cylinder air cooled models to chose from as well. That F4 model however, although it only has the one bench seat, is in fact designed to seat 2 people.