Octavia RS 4 vs Superb Sportline 3

Hi!

I currently have a 2019 MK3 superb Sportline 2.0 tdi, 150bhp. It's a fantastic car, but my contract is up so it's due for changing. Currently, the only extra in it is the virtual cockpit. Sunroof, electric driver seat came as standard as did the Alcantara interior. I had initially planned on another MK3 (FL) Sportline, but something popped up that put a halt to that plan last year. 

I have a MK4 RS Octavia 2.0tdi DSG on order. I didn't really bother with extras tbh as it has all I need, with the exception of wireless charging and the front and rear sensors. I know I'll miss my sunroof and electric seat, but I am gaining my lane assist, matrix LED, auto rear trunk, sat nav and DSG! I had a MK3 2017 RS before my superb so know what I'm getting myself in for 🤗

I'm just wondering if anyone else has made a switch from the superb to the Octavia? How did you find it? Did you miss the cabin space? Did you regret it? 

52 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

I think you mean "having Lane Enforce inflicted on me".

Ah once you indicate on the motorway it's fine 😉😉 I know what you mean though! Most people turn it off!

2 hours ago, Adaminski said:

once you indicate on the motorway it's fine

Fine as far as it goes; I'm one of those people who straight-lines and off-sides twisty single carriageways where safe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Adaminski said:

I'm just wondering if anyone else has made a switch from the superb to the Octavia? How did you find it? Did you miss the cabin space? Did you regret it?

Switched from Superb Mk2 hatch/twindoor to Octavia Mk4 Estate last year - not Sportline to VRS however. It was a 1.4TSI 125 'S' spec to 1.5TSI 150 'SE L 1st Edition', both manual.

I gained a huge bunch of 'tech' on changeover, which was bit of a steep learning curve at first but I love it. Probably not fair/appropriate to comment on performance and suspension 'cos the cars are quite different to the Sportline/VRS but in terms of space, I do miss the cabin space and overall size of the Superb - having said that, I don't need the space other than on the odd occasion I carry a rear seat passenger behind me (at best part of 2m tall the seat is a long way back).

Fuel economy is at least 10% better in the Octavia, but I found the 1.4 engine in the Superb to be more drivable; it has more low-rev torque than the 1.5.

Boot space is fantastic in the Octavia estate, slightly bigger, more useable, and I prefer the shape to that of the Superb, seems a bit deeper (tall) and not so long front to back.

Do I regret it? Nope - but if I could have got a Superb with the same spec/tech and efficiency I'd probably have gone for it.

Like I say, my Superb to Octavia journey wasn't quite the same as you're considering, but hopefully some useful info.

Switched from a Superb SE L Estate 150 to a vRS estate 245, and have some regrets. Mainly, the poor tech on the new car which has never worked properly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Fine as far as it goes; I'm one of those people who straight-lines and off-sides twisty single carriageways where safe.

And I only indicate if there's somebody there to need it. An aid for the lazy driver. Mine gets switched off every time.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

And I only indicate if there's somebody there to need it. An aid for the lazy driver. Mine gets switched off every time.

i know what you mean to indicate when you need to.yet is this not a safety device?we have all done it  over taking and not putting indicators on.i have loan car with this system on it and i hated it when i first got it but now used to it and dont find any problems with it apart from roadworks.

• Like 1

When my MK4 was in for a service I had a Sportline Superb estate courtesy car. 

For me the interior and info system in the Superb was a huge step backwards. Felt like a 20 year old car, rubbish info screen, sat Nov,etc. There is additional space for sure but it's not significant and the hatch vRS is more than big enough for four adults to go away on holiday for a couple of weeks very comfortably.

When I looked up the list price of the Superb over the vRS I couldn't believe it was nearly 10k more for the superb. 

I appreciated some people have had issues with the info system in the mk4 (I haven't) but not withstanding this there is no comparison, get the MK4 it's a huge step forward imo and cheaper too.

• Like 2

On 19/04/2022 at 13:25, Adaminski said:

Hi!

I currently have a 2019 MK3 superb Sportline 2.0 tdi, 150bhp. It's a fantastic car, but my contract is up so it's due for changing. Currently, the only extra in it is the virtual cockpit. Sunroof, electric driver seat came as standard as did the Alcantara interior. I had initially planned on another MK3 (FL) Sportline, but something popped up that put a halt to that plan last year. 

I have a MK4 RS Octavia 2.0tdi DSG on order. I didn't really bother with extras tbh as it has all I need, with the exception of wireless charging and the front and rear sensors. I know I'll miss my sunroof and electric seat, but I am gaining my lane assist, matrix LED, auto rear trunk, sat nav and DSG! I had a MK3 2017 RS before my superb so know what I'm getting myself in for 🤗

I went the other way, was getting so annoyed with the Octavia so went back to a Superb and don't regret it.

At least EVERYTHING works as it should in the Superb, I also disagree that the Superb is a huge step backwards. The infotainment system in the Superb is better, faster and easier to use.

I went from a 67 plate Superb S/L 190 DSG to the VRS. The VRS is soo much quieter , smoother and really not that much smaller. So much so i never ever really thought about it. Its really nimble. I thought the Superb was Superb but the Octy felt ( NOW IM ONLY TALKING MECHANICALLY ) much better.

Electronically on my version it was a disaster , fault after fault , freezing screens , forgetting users , changing settings at a whim. The list goes on an on ( dealer has 85 faults registered on the car) and well detailed in this forum. As i said many times , if i had bought a TV from Currys and it exhibited one fault , it would have been back in the showroom same day. Having to pay full price to beta test their software really stuck in my throat.

I know some newer cars have maybe ironed out all the probs and it maybe a good call to go for one now but on my S/W version of 1803 , no fix has been made available after multiple attempts. A fix that was promised by Skoda UK 31st March 2022, the fix never came.

So after 15 months , 40 days total off road at the dealer , i formally rejected and it was approved by VWFS. I really regret doing this as there is nothing out there in that price segment that looks as good and drives.

So finally today signed paperwork for a Hyundia Hybrid Tucson N line. 23 week wait they say.

Again , im soo annoyed at Skoda for serving their customers a pile of ****e car , a car that could have been the best car i ever owned.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

my previous car superb 2020 and new one octy rs. so i can say  a lot . am i missing my super b - yes ... thats all. You cant compare this 2 vehicles. One is 2.0 tdi 150 ps other 245 ps TSI , both DSG but diferent in any ways . It's depends what u searching for . bigger space , small costs , stronger car , super b is 3rd genration , no sickness , no problems at all, smooth display activities, no problems in one word. NX RS - looking nice :)

IMG_20201125_175148.jpg

20211002_182551.jpg

As for cabin space, there is a lot more equipment in there nowadays, so different people will see the roominess of each differently.

Always remember a mk1 Octavia (which no one ever seemed to call cramped) was 4511mm long.  Even a mk1 Superb was only 4789mm long.

A mk4 Octavia has grown about 7 inches to 4689mm

A mk3 Superb is 4861mm, but lot of that extra is in back seats and boot, not in the front seats of the cabin.

The mk4 Octavia is a far better car to drive and ride in than current Superb, but (and it’s a big but) a lot of the controls and equipment are painful to use, or are simply unreliable especially in higher spec versions.

As for engines the tsi engines work brilliantly with DSG gearboxes.  Manual versions are rather compromised.   Not much can be said about the diesel apart from it has seen better days and has gone downhill as more emissions equipment has been tacked on.   Not really surprising only 5% of UK cars now sold with non-hybrid Diesel engine and most of those are big SUVs not cars.

From my point of view - if you are really tall and someone is behind you on the backseat (and also tall), than you probably not find better car than Superb. But all other way is for me O4 better in almost every aspect... Also the dashboard looks in Superb a little bit outdated in compare to clean interior of Octavia. Yea, the infotainment needs a little bit more time to used to it, but I would have very hard time to go back to classic clima and others controls in Superb or O3Fl... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

As for cabin space, there is a lot more equipment in there nowadays, so different people will see the roominess of each differently.

Always remember a mk1 Octavia (which no one ever seemed to call cramped) was 4511mm long.  Even a mk1 Superb was only 4789mm long.

A mk3 Superb is 4861mm, but lot of that extra is in back seats and boot, not in the front seats of the cabin.

The mk4 Octavia is a far better car to drive and ride in than current Superb, but (and it’s a big but) a lot of the controls and equipment are painful to use, or are simply unreliable especially in higher spec versions.

As for engines the tsi engines work brilliantly with DSG gearboxes.  Manual versions are rather compromised.   Not much can be said about the diesel apart from it has seen better days and has gone downhill as more emissions equipment has been tacked on.   Not really surprising only 5% of UK cars now sold with non-hybrid Diesel engine and most of those are big SUVs not cars.

Not sure I agree with the diesel part, I have the 150 and have had the vRS TDi, both great engines that work well with the DSG, I routinely get over 70mpg on reasonable (70 ish mph) runs. Engine is smooth pulls well and is easy to live with. AdBlue is not an issue if you drive decent length journeys, I hardly ever fill up as its not needed if the car runs at a decent speed for a reasonable journey. I agree I would not have a diesel for a town car that would be where it does not work, but I wouldn't get a petrol either, I would go electric.  IMO If you do decent mileage or like the torque of diesels they are still a fantastic choice.  Having just come from a Golf R DSG back to diesel it is definitely a more relaxing drive and saves some money, although the Golf R was not exciting in any way, rather dull to drive, even with 306bhp. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, matrix2020 said:

Not sure I agree with the diesel part, I have the 150 and have had the vRS TDi, both great engines that work well with the DSG, I routinely get over 70mpg on reasonable (70 ish mph) runs. Engine is smooth pulls well and is easy to live with. AdBlue is not an issue if you drive decent length journeys, I hardly ever fill up as its not needed if the car runs at a decent speed for a reasonable journey. I agree I would not have a diesel for a town car that would be where it does not work, but I wouldn't get a petrol either, I would go electric.  IMO If you do decent mileage or like the torque of diesels they are still a fantastic choice.  Having just come from a Golf R DSG back to diesel it is definitely a more relaxing drive and saves some money, although the Golf R was not exciting in any way, rather dull to drive, even with 306bhp. 

i've had vw tdi's  for the last 30 years or so and the 150 tdi in my 2022 superb is the best engine i've had,  i thought the 150 tdi i had in a 2018 arteon was good, but this latest engine is even better.

i'm not sure what vag have done internally to the engine but it's quieter and pulls better from a standstill,  i know the torque has been increased to 360nm and they call it an evo engine.

TDI  engines in the past always needed around 8000 - 10,000 miles before they loosened off  but this latest engine feels like it is already run in  straight out the box.

As for town driving in a diesel, i dont find it a problem as long as you allow regens to complete, my tdi caddy only does 5000 miles a year and virtually all town driving . i use the vag dpf app to monitor things.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

you need to get a test drive in the latest tdi engine, you might get a surprise, definetly not gone downhill,  in fact it's the opposite

i agree they are more complex than before though, so more can go wrong,  but so are petrol engines

it's only 5% new diesel  car sales because people are falling for all the government bull$hit

• Like 1

On 26/05/2022 at 08:46, 310golfr said:

you need to get a test drive in the latest tdi engine, you might get a surprise, definetly not gone downhill,  in fact it's the opposite

i agree they are more complex than before though, so more can go wrong,  but so are petrol engines

it's only 5% new diesel  car sales because people are falling for all the government bull$hit

Your previous point about where and what type of driving the car would be subjected to was the more important point on whether someone should even begin to look at a diesel.

DPF and even PPF requirements are a problem if you are only into local urban shopping trips and school runs.

Unfortunately EVs are relatively expensive, have long wait lists and/or just not available in Australia.

On 25/05/2022 at 09:19, matrix2020 said:

I now need to fill mine up with adblue again. It recommends 5-10 litres or the car won't start within the next 400 miles! 

It's on 12000 miles in around 7 months. That's way more than average and 80% is motorway. It had 5 litres at 8k. Not really sure what to make of it. Adblue is definitely an issue. My old MK3 didn't need any of this rubbish.

2 hours ago, pokerking01 said:

I now need to fill mine up with adblue again. It recommends 5-10 litres or the car won't start within the next 400 miles! 

It's on 12000 miles in around 7 months. That's way more than average and 80% is motorway. It had 5 litres at 8k. Not really sure what to make of it. Adblue is definitely an issue. My old MK3 didn't need any of this rubbish.

the biggest problem with adblue systems, is the reliability not the cost of the adblue it's self,

i know adblue has doubled in price but at around £2 per litre it is still relatively cheap

As an example, most adblue systems have 2 nox sensors, on my caddy van one of the sensors failed at 15,000 miles  but luckily just before the 3 year warranty was up, 

cost at vw for supply and fit of nox sensor £600

if you google adblue problems most manufacturers are having reliability issues and with the high costs to fix if out of warranty,  it's no wonder that people  take the cheaper option of deleting the lot 😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 310golfr said:

the biggest problem with adblue systems, is the reliability not the cost of the adblue it's self,

i know adblue has doubled in price but at around £2 per litre it is still relatively cheap

As an example, most adblue systems have 2 nox sensors, on my caddy van one of the sensors failed at 15,000 miles  but luckily just before the 3 year warranty was up, 

cost at vw for supply and fit of nox sensor £600

if you google adblue problems most manufacturers are having reliability issues and with the high costs to fix if out of warranty,  it's no wonder that people  take the cheaper option of deleting the lot 😃

Yeah it's not that it's expensive it's just an inconvenience, the stuff stinks and is a mess filling the stuff using the crap nozzles you get! I mean the car states engine starting is impossible when it runs out? I really wonder what would happen ?? 🙃

• 2 months later...

Hey! I'm back again. It's crunch time. My RS 4 has arrived at last. I was bowled over when I say it in the metal. 

Still apprehensive about the switch from the 2019 Sportline. It is manual 150bhp so it will be a step up in engine. 

Space wise it doesn't seem that bad of a difference. 

The problem is, I've heard horror stories of the Mk4 and some fairy tales......

17 hours ago, Adaminski said:

Hey! I'm back again. It's crunch time. My RS 4 has arrived at last. I was bowled over when I say it in the metal. 

Still apprehensive about the switch from the 2019 Sportline. It is manual 150bhp so it will be a step up in engine. 

Space wise it doesn't seem that bad of a difference. 

The problem is, I've heard horror stories of the Mk4 and some fairy tales......

I have 2022 RS, software 1889 and then updated to 1896, and from start havent had any issue’s whatsoever. Only thing that didn’t work from the factory was the wireless android auto/carplay, wich i had to enable at the dealer. Thats it. Great car. 

Edited by TomTom88
  • Like 3