Drive mode : bug or feature?

Hi,

My Superb mk3 my2019 is equipped with drive mode selector (no active suspensions, just "eco-normal-sport"), essentially modifying the responsiveness of the DSG. I prefer the E mode since it seems to me more efficient in terms of fuel economy (car often coasts in neutral). The problem is that after restarting the car, E mode is still active...but the DSG is in "D" mode (while all the other settings are in E mode).

Indeed, if I switch again the E mode button, also the DSG goes in E mode...

Is this a bug or is it perfectly normal the DSG "restarts" in D mode instead of E ?

Thanks

I can only assume it's intentional at this point. VW Passat is the same... Annoying as I use it to make it more comfortable for passengers. It helps with the nodding effect that comes with sudden accelerator lifts which helps with car sickness (for me anyway)

16 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Perfectly normal, it can be modified to stay on by way of custom datasets but it is a lot of work.

you mean using the custom mode (setting each option separately)?

Anyway, if that's normal I don't understand the underlying logic

13 minutes ago, plutus said:

you mean using the custom mode (setting each option separately)?

Anyway, if that's normal I don't understand the underlying logic

No i mean you can hack the gateway module to stay in E after ignition cycle, its a lot of work though.

The underlying logic on this is an odd one but basically after about MY16 they didnt stay in E after ignition cycle.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, numskull said:

I use individual mode and all settings stay in whatever mode I had set prior to switch-off. 

That'll be because your car is 2016 and therefore pre WLTP.  Our 2019 Karoq defaults to Normal every time.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Schtum said:

WLTP

So the WLTP tests dictate that vehicles, which have the ability for the driver to change engine / gearbox programmes and do so, must revert those changes to “standard” or “normal” when the engine is switched-off? 

Essentially yes. I know it's a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, but disabling start stop and selecting 'individual' EVERY time the car is started does get annoying, especially when the menus are feeling a bit sleepy. First world problems 😂

• Like 1

Essentially? Are all manufacturers vehicles now made that way? If so, I wonder how MarkyG2’s 2018 Passat doesn’t have that “feature” I wonder? Perhaps it’s a Skoda implementation. 

folks need to remember there is a distinction between Driving Mode and Drive Mode.

Driving mode refers to the driving profile characteristics.  this includes a number of things, such as steering, drive, suspension, air-con etc. etc.  see image below.

Options r can b Eco/Normal/Sport, or if u have DCC Eco/Comfort/Normal/Sport/Individial.

This does not reset each time the car is restarted.

Drive mode refers to the engine + transmission behaviour/mapping ONLY.  Options r Eco/Normal/Sport.  The Drive mode is just one of many Driving mode characteristics.  It is set when u select a driving mode profile. 

This resets to Normal each time the car is restarted.  Not the Driving Mode - just the Drive mode is reset.  This is to do with the emissions control mentioned already in an earlier post above.

My Superb MY17 will remain in watever Driving Mode Selection (Eco/Comfort/Normal/Sport/Individual), but regardless of wat the driving mode selected, the Drive mode will always revert to "Normal" when the car is started.

Hence it will show D1,D2,D3 etc etc upon restart, despite the driving mode still being set to Eco/Sport/Individual.

u need to re-select the driving mode for it the engine drive mode to matching the driving profile. 

IMAG1273.thumb.jpg.764447796a3f8b14563cffff032a2180.jpg

397917781_DCCdrivingmodes.jpg.05b722e7e92b31abf142f4dabcc7cfef.jpg

Edited by JR RS

JR may have found the nuance. My Passat being a phev has much different drive modes compared to ice cars so it would make more sense to revert back to E mode each time. My individual setting does stay put in the way JR describes but you don't notice the sport bit dropping (I have sport steering in individual).

2 questions/requests from me:

1, Those with the mode defaulting to normal can you pay attention to what mode the car thinks it in on screen and if it looks like it is in fact reverting or just dropping S gearbox like JR suggests.

2, Those who like eco mode, can you see if a simple pull back twice on the stick enables the coasting ability of the gearbox.

I think this would clear up the confusion and what is actually happening.

3 hours ago, Legion said:

In drive mode isn't eco actually drive.

I thought it was drive/sport/manual?

No, Eco is its own Drive mode, i.e. E1, E2, E3, E4 etc. etc.

There r only 3 Drive modes for engine/transmission - Eco, Normal & Sport.

Eco = E1, E2, E3, E4, E5, E6

Normal = D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6

Sport = S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6

U can put the car into Manual in any of those.

PXL_20220502_072700626.thumb.jpg.cad2a89304909fe3f1c7077e43ceab2c.jpg

Edited by JR RS

3 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

My individual setting does stay put in the way JR describes but you don't notice the sport bit dropping (I have sport steering in individual).

Same here.

In my Individual mode - everything, except Engine and Air-conditioning, is set to "Sport".

Everything else is retained on ignition.

Another thing changed with facelift. 

MY21 always reverts to Normal upon startup. That’s everything. Lighting is white, gearbox in D, straight road indicator on digital dash - Normal profile.

Even if I’ve started driving before the infotainment has finished loading me as user (which has taken 30mins before) - when it does, it resets everything to normal.

On 30/04/2022 at 12:16, ApertureS said:

Perfectly normal, it can be modified to stay on by way of custom datasets but it is a lot of work.

It's not really a lot of work.

It's quite well documented, you just need the right tools for it.

And to be honest it's the thing I just had to do on my car - becauses I hated pressing that mode button each start 😀