Hitting the big seven-oh---

Paul52

Not specifically Yeti related but I wasn't sure where to put this post and I'm sure a moderator will move it as necessary (thank you in advance).

Born in July 1952 my driving licence will in a few weeks need to be renewed. Looking on the government web-site it tells me I'll be notified 10 weeks before the due date by the DfT or DVLA, can't remember which. The problem is with nine weeks left to go I've still not heard from them. I can get the form from the Post Office (when I remember - a whole different problem) but it got me wondering whether because of exemplary driving or more likely rather good luck I've never had to send my licence away to have it "updated" with points so I still have the old paper licence rather than a photocard. As an aside as I don't have a passport this gives me another first world problem when someone insists on photo ID - you know who you are John Lewis.

I'm sure there are other forum members who have reached, or are about to reach, 70 still with a paper licence, and I'm wondering if the powers that be have a system that doesn't pick up us old uns with the old style licence or am I just an anomaly (probably be blamed on Brexit or Covid). I'm posting  just to make others aware so they don't get caught out.

Been there and done that. You will have to go plastic then return the paper licence once you have the 21st century version.

Say you've lost the paper one and request a replacement. I think the cost is roughly the same, and you'll be left with something you can frame and hang in the spare loo.

Maybe a slight tangent, but hopefully germane, renewing online at/for age 70 means you will lose groups C1,  ie vans/camper/towing more than 3500 Kgs MAM, and also D1, minibuses with >8 seats.  To keep these you must apply by post, with medical evidence.

• Like 3

I had to renew my licence when I was 70 3 years ago. At that time the DVLA contacted me to ask me if I still wanted to keep the licence and sent the appropriate form. I had also just had a pacemaker fitted so had to declare that and get the ok from my cardiologist. It all went ok and I got a new photocard licence, free of charge, without restrictions for 3 years. I also had the old paper licence and asked if they could return it for me to keep for posterity which they did no problem. My 3 years will be up in September this year so as far as I know they will contact me to ask if I want to renew it. It's been well publicised that the DVLA have an enormous backlog of applications so there will be delays and hold ups. Hope it all goes well for you.

I'm heartened to hear that I am not the only one to be concerned with getting his moneysworth from a license that when I paid for it was supposed to last 57 years.

Out of principal I would never willingly change to a photocard and pay for something that I hav already paid for and to keep paying again every 10 years.

My license is getting very tatty though despite it being 30 + years since I have been asked by Plod to remove it from its sleeve.

Anyone on here old enough to have a license but that never took a driving test? My late father just went into a Post Office and bought his.

I was lucky, as my one needed sorting out just before the start of restrictions for Covid, I acted quickly, have a passport so it all went smoothly, but an exwork friend who was 6 months younger and did not have a passport had a hard time getting his one sorted out.  My paper one was a bit of a mess, it was only 22 years old as it got replaced when we bought another house, kept in a wallet at all times wrecked it and its sleeve!

Reminding us about losing C1, makes me wonder if the husband of a friend of my wife is legal when he drives his big motorhome - I'll need to ask him!

Group C1? Just checked my licence and I have groups A, D and E. At the time my licence was issued group C was "Any motor tricycle other than an invalid carriage weighing not more than 425kg unladen. So I'm guessing a Reliant Robin/Regal, Bond bug, Isetta or Messerschmitt. Group A covers any vehicle except group D (motorcycle), group E (moped), road roller, tracked vehicles and group J (invalid carriage). So a strict interpretation would mean at least for the next few weeks I can drive a Hummer but not a mobility scooter? Actually around here the mobility scooter riders are probably a bigger danger than the Hummers but that's a whole new thread.

As an aside my father many years ago (probably late sixties) picked up his only driving offence when stopped whilst riding a friends moped. He held a motorcycle licence and his own (and only) vehicle was a 650cc motorcycle with a double adult sidecar. Apparently at that time  although you could ride a moped on a car licence this didn't extend to riding one on a motorcycle licence. Clearly someone drafting the legislation didn't think that one through.

Thanks everyone for the various advice about the routes to getting the licence renewed.

Motability scooters are a whole different Kettle of fish baskets and classes by speed and no UK driving licence needed or test taken to use ones for the road or pavement / paths.  They can be registered with the DVLA and have a free VED.    Some car ljcence holders can still ride mopeds on their car licence.   And some disabled different weight of trikes and quads without the same test/ licence held that an able bodied person needs.    There are exclusions and terms on adaptions / conversions. The DVLA fire at Swansea in the 1980,s was blamed on many no longer have motor bike entitlement on their licence now or on renewal.  You had to fight for the ride to party or ride the dream. 

Edited by roottoot

5 minutes ago, roottoot said:

no UK driving licence needed or test taken to use ones for the road or pavement / paths

I've often wondered about the legal (i.e. insurance) ramifications of a mobility scooter involved in an accident. Same as a push-bike I suppose ...

Read the DVLA site.  Speed of Motability scooter. 4 mph, or 8 mph or above.    The. Age restriction 14 year old I think.  Registered disabled.    Full if grey areas.    Later I can put up my licence.  Leg amputee, bike lincense holder but restricted on what adaptions, also trikes. Linked braking, auto box etc. 

Edited by roottoot

8 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Motability scooters are a whole different Kettle of fish baskets and classes by speed and no UK driving licence needed or test taken to use ones for the road or pavement / paths.  They can be registered with the DVLA and have a free VED. 

I am hopping that Grant Shapps will announce liberalisation of e-scooter next week so I can legal ride my zipper.

Just have to hide the wattage if the limit comes in at 500 watts as suspected as I think mine is rated at 800W though I have not got better than 15 mph out of it so far.  Here is it with the seat fitted as well.   I have got the weight down from 40 kgs to about 30 kgs by going to Li-ion from lead acid batteries.  It fun and hopefully legal from next week, sort of.

Zipper 800W electric scooter with suspension

Just now, lol-lol said:

I am hopping that Grant Shapps will announce liberalisation of e-scooter next week so I can legal ride my zipper.

Just have to hide the wattage if the limit comes in at 500 watts as suspected as I think mine is rated at 800W though I have not got better than 15 mph out of it so far.  Here is it with the seat fitted as well.   I have got the weight down from 40 kgs to about 30 kgs by going to Li-ion from lead acid batteries.  It fun and hopefully legal from next week, sort of.

Zipper 800W electric scooter with suspension

Too many idiots ride these, so hope they ban them.

That said, perhaps introduce some kind of CBT to teach road safety, then plate them up so people can be held liable for their stupid actions as there can be a place for those on todays world of drive sensibly. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Lots legislation needed in the UK before they should be legal.  Grant Shapps will get ripped to shreads. 

Last week a woman got a 12 month driving ban after she was seen weaving all over the road on an e-scooter, she was breathalysed found to be over the limit, claimed didn't know drink driving also applied to e-scooters  

2 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

Last week a woman got a 12 month driving ban after she was seen weaving all over the road on an e-scooter, she was breathalysed found to be over the limit, claimed didn't know drink driving also applied to e-scooters  

I read this also. Made me chuckle TBH. I thought it was common knowledge that the DD rules applies to these and push bikes?

This week a 60 year old musician had a brick dropped on his helmeted head by 4 yobs wanting to steal his e-scooter.  Luckily not badly hurt.  Lots of coverage on the radio.   Not one person except me asked if police confiscated the e-scooter he was riding illegally on a public path. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jars said:

Too many idiots ride these, so hope they ban them.

That said, perhaps introduce some kind of CBT to teach road safety, then plate them up so people can be held liable for their stupid actions as there can be a place for those on todays world of drive sensibly. 

I am all for registration, insurance and even a test, I have my bike licences for two wheels and insurance and happy to add my scooter on this.

I think the rental scheme has many idiots using it so a proper registration for e-scooters could improve things and the benefits for air quality in cities is good.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Maybe a slight tangent, but hopefully germane, renewing online at/for age 70 means you will lose groups C1,  ie vans/camper/towing more than 3500 Kgs MAM, and also D1, minibuses with >8 seats.  To keep these you must apply by post, with medical evidence.

My Uncle had this issue when he turned 70, being the only driver for the minibus at the care home he worked in. He's now retired as he couldn't be bothered going through getting medical evidence etc etc.

4 hours ago, roottoot said:

Not one person except me asked if police confiscated the e-scooter he was riding illegally on a public path.

That's a fair and valid question.