TMC not Working

I’ve rarely used this but today had a long drive on the M25/M1/A45 so pressed traffic to check the TMC situation and got precisely

nothing; no data, no records - ziltch. TMC flag has a redline through it. Anyone have any idea what’s going on? I’ve looked in settings and I can’t find anything as the system says it’s automatic and cannot be switched off. 

• Like 1

Likewise, at least I'm not alone then. I updated 2022/2023 maps last week and it stopped working roughly at the same time. I wonder if it's connected?

Yeah noticed this as well as mentioned in the thread mentioned previously. I did try rolling back the maps just in case but that didn't fix the issue so far. Probably just a temporary glitch. That or VAG forget to pay for the service. 😜

1 hour ago, Jonboy984 said:

Likewise, at least I'm not alone then. I updated 2022/2023 maps last week and it stopped working roughly at the same time. I wonder if it's connected?

Mines pre update and no TMC either currently.

that being said I normally use Waze and carplay anyway 

2 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Mines pre update and no TMC either currently.

that being said I normally use Waze and carplay anyway 

Possibly not connected then. I do like Waze / Google maps with Android Auto but sometimes forget to plug it in.

Thanks everyone for the confirmations. I really like Waze but it’s rubbish on the MIB1 Columbus, inasmuch as it doesn’t allow a 3D view; it’s like going back to the double DIN 4:3 in the Superb MKI!  

• Like 1

Is this a bigger issue -  I thought "Radio Data Systems Traffic Message Channel"  was transmitted over Classic FM in the UK?

I can't tell with my car as I use Tomtom technology - which was working fine today - saved me from a big problem today as the A66 was closed due to a big accident!

Saying that I was listening to Classic FM ok today?

Edited by bigjohn

I've mentioned in the thread about the map updates but my traffic info started working again during the commute back from work. Didn't do anything different. Guess it was just a signal issue?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, numskull said:

Interesting. I’m out at 6am, I’ll see if it’s back on. I’m amazed there isn’t anything about this elsewhere.

TMC seems to be working again for me today

• Like 1

Hi,

I found this on a french Golf forum, but I don't know f this applies to UK too:

"Due to the success of connected systems, car manufacturers (Stellantis, Ford, VW, Suzuki groups, etc.) and equipment manufacturers (Pioneer, etc.) did not wish to renew the equipment used for traffic information broadcasting thru RDS-TMC technology.

Michelin Travel Partner, the main operator  for traffic information broadcasting by RDS-TMC in France, has therefore decided to cease this transmission as of December 31, 2021, midnight.

As a result, all vehicles and GPS equipped with the MICHELIN Trafic service and marketed in Europe since 2005 will cease to receive this information and alerts on their terminals, throughout France.

On the other hand, a traffic information service will continue to be integrated free of charge in the Mobile ViaMichelin application, available on the Apple App Store (iOS) and on Google Play (Android)."

This decision may be now applied to other countries...  😕

Another update. In a bizarre twist, TMC stopped receiving messages on the infotainment system when I checked it just there. At this point I am inclined to chalk it down to patchy reception in my area. Your mileage may vary, as they say 

And today it finally began working again! Yippeee!

Thanks everyone once again for your experiences. It put my mind at rest that I was not going nuts or that the MIB was! 👍🏻

• Like 1