Pop pop,SOS

After 18 months of trouble free driving I started getting a double popping noise followed by the SOS emergency call warning. Took the car to the dealer but the software update has made no difference - the problem persists.

I know that this issue has been covered before but I cannot find any explanation of what is causing this problem and how it can be resolved.  Does anyone out there have any definitive answers or indeed recent experience of this problem?

Yes it's like the noise you get from a plastic bottle popping in hot weather. The first few times It happened there were no other issues but now It is immediately followed by activation of the emergency sod call warning. It isn't location specific for me.

Mine never did it until a few weeks ago and that's with the new 1896 software. Skoda are aware of the problem and mine is going in tomorrow for another software fix and potentially a module replacement.

Will update you afterwards. 

John

Thanks for confirmation.

Mine did that sometimes on older firmware (1804), and at that time i had constant error of emergency call.

After upgrade to 1896 error is gone, but sound i still there every now and than, although i think it less frequent.

I'm already on the 1896 software. I have just driven 14 miles and have had the double pop 4 times; the SOS emergency call came on the 4th time. Car is going back into the garage next week but currently I am not feeling confident about it being resolved.

Just got mine back from the stealership and the report says... 

Confirmed customer complaint of SOS warning and click noise from speaker and Infotainment loading profile, carried out guided fault finding and found U178500 control module for emergency call module and communication software error. TPI requires software update carrying out to rectify fault, carried out software update to S/W version 0140 as per TPI faults cleared customer to monitor. 

We'll see what happens next and I'll update you. 

John 

17 minutes ago, weehappypixie said:

Just got mine back from the stealership and the report says... 

Confirmed customer complaint of SOS warning and click noise from speaker and Infotainment loading profile, carried out guided fault finding and found U178500 control module for emergency call module and communication software error. TPI requires software update carrying out to rectify fault, carried out software update to S/W version 0140 as per TPI faults cleared customer to monitor. 

We'll see what happens next and I'll update you. 

John 

I did post this over here for someone else, and if you check the very large list of modules, you should see that "OCU" get's updated with the SW1896 upgrade AFAIK.

Just remember this information is from Golf Mk8 platform, but appreciate that they share parts.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/505794-epb-auto-hold-not-releasing-issue-again/?do=findComment&comment=5679205

The post might indeed be O/T or possible red herring, it would be nice to actually have someone post the TPI for the Skoda infotainment update.

Did your car update to SW1896 on it's own, or was it a dealer update for your car?

Just now, weehappypixie said:

My car was updated to 1896 by the stealership and again today with the additional updates. 

Skoda Octavia iV VRS. 

John

Thanks John,

I am wondering if when the dealers are updating the SW1896, they are not following the whole TPI to the letter, or there's one for Skoda and one for the Golf Mk8's with different protocols.

Just seeing the 2 threads here with a tentative link and my brain is wiring the two possibly together, when there maybe no link.

The likelihood is you'll solve this only to find another annoying feature . Every day mine says "changing user profile ok or cancel" Or turns on with auto Clim after i "F-IN" told it not to". My POP POP has been known to contact the emergency services on its own. Also the annoying multiple alerts , do you want to fund the nearest fuel station , your user profile is set to xxx.  The auto hold not letting go , the ACC braking for cars in left lane ,, the list goes on and on. 

I have only 2 more months of this **** before its returned as rejected. 

If you had one fault ( even minor) on a TV from Currys , you would have it back in the shop in jig time for a refund.

Ive sat in this infuriating mess for 18 months , 40 days plus off road for the dealer to "NO IDEA OF FIX".

I wrote to the dealer last week and said , guys on the forum peeps are talking about 1896 , can i get that to see what the car should have been like from the start.

Dealer ,,, " hmm not heard of that update ,but our tech guy would like to test the vehicle for 3 days"  They have already had it and tested it for umpteen days to come back and say theres 85 faults that we cant fix.

In true Glaswegian "Ah cannay wait tay see the back oh this c#nt"

If you have a newer version say an H unit plus , your probably ok and enjoying what i should have had

My Octavia had a ‘major’ update from 1668 to 1896 about 10 weeks ago and everything is now working to my satisfaction. I also get the loud “Pop-Pop” sound but have no accompanying issues. The only other regular issue I experience is that, especially on first start-up of the day, I occasionally get a notification ‘SOS Call Unavailable’ but this corrects itself after a restart with the notification ‘SOS Call Available’.  I optimistically (?) put this down to the eSIM connecting which is never instantaneous. 

Interesting about the references to ‘on-line’ updates. These do occur in my car but only for minor tweaks. I was under the impression that eSIM updates for all software upgrades were initially planned but never rolled out, hence the frustration of lost days to dealership-updates.  Can anyone confirm if major on-line updates are now also becoming available via e-SIM as opposed to dealership only?

@PoloPaul I am in the process of getting my hands on the TPI from a friend with access to try and dig into the situation a little deeper.  As you can see from my linked in thread to the image from a Golf Mk8 they seem to update a fair few control units, I am wondering if the list if same or different for Skoda.

I am forming a possible picture that there is a different list of updates for Skoda compared to VW (though they share a lot of the same hardware) or that some dealers are simply scanning the TPI and cherry picking their way to the fastest way to load SW1896.

As for future SW updates, once you are on 18xx or the 1896, you should be able to get the online updates yourself, as you know if you are on 16xx you cannot simply go to 18xx as there will most likely be some hardware changes to accomodate the update physically.  So unless they find yet another major issue, you should be getting online updates from now on, if the car is set correctly (registered and security levels are correct)

• Love it! 1

Extremely welcome good news varoom!  As we know small tweaks have been coming through on eSIM for a while.  Guess its just a case of wait-and-see to know if every future update now happens this way. Neither my Service-Partner nor SkodaUK who prompted them on my behalf have mentioned this. 

If it does as you mention and incorporate all future updates I will be delighted. My local Service-Partner always seemed to view their role in software updates with reluctance and as an unwelcome chore. Hopefully now I wont need them when my warranty expires. 

Thanks once again for the ‘heads-up’ on this. 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2022 at 14:35, weehappypixie said:

My car was updated to 1896 by the stealership and again today with the additional updates. 

Skoda Octavia iV VRS. 

John

pleased your car was updated ,i got my new car on wednesday and it still has old software on it and it is starting to act up.it baffles me you get a new car and it has not got up to date soft ware on it.it stood in the garage for 10/124 days due to a balls up in paper work at there side.so why the car was not updated then i do not know.in anycase enjoy your car and hope you have no more problems.

I notice the problem with pop pop noise sometimes followed by SOS call fail alert only happens when driving in the UK, never happened in 2 weeks driving in France,  maybe SOS call is only programmed to work in your home country? I have sent the details posted by Weehappypixie to my Skoda dealership to see if that is the confirmed fix. In the UK I get the double pop noise regularly and every couple of days the SOS fail alert comes up until the car is restarted 

2 hours ago, Joss1733 said:

pleased your car was updated ,i got my new car on wednesday and it still has old software on it and it is starting to act up.it baffles me you get a new car and it has not got up to date soft ware on it.it stood in the garage for 10/124 days due to a balls up in paper work at there side.so why the car was not updated then i do not know.in anycase enjoy your car and hope you have no more problems.

Joss1733 - are you saying that despite being on 1896 - you continue to have to take your car into your Dealership for further updates? Meaning that further updates do not happen automatically through the eSIM? Please confirm

Thanks

On 28/07/2022 at 14:35, weehappypixie said:

Skoda Octavia iV VRS. 

John

Sorry Joss 1733 I see you were quoting above.

my problems are starting to stack up,just popped down the road and the noise off the radio is terrible or i think it is like a dull but loud heavy drum beat.you cant hear yourself thinking with it.

Got the same issue and noticed that the info and globe icon disappears from the display for a while after the pop pop. Mine has had a few over the air software updates but none for the dealers. Also after a minute or so the dash panel pops a message up saying SOS activated.

Edited by Alan7690

22 minutes ago, Alan7690 said:

Got the same issue and noticed that the info and globe icon disappears from the display for a while after the pop pop. Mine has had a few over the air software updates but none for the dealers. Also after a minute or so the dash panel pops a message up saying SOS activated.

Hi Allan7690

Yes I have precisely these same issues as you have. My car DID have a major upgrade to 1896 in May. All the very many  previously existing faults were corrected by the 1896 upgrade but now I also get ‘Pop-Pop’ then “SOS not available call your service partner”…….which resets next time I stop and start the car. I will ‘accept’ this (for now🤷‍♂️) because it is so nice of Skoda to at last give me ‘most’ of what I paid for in good faith 18 months ago - and my first extended service is due soon so I’ll raise that with the garage at the same time. Disappointed isn’t it?

• Like 1

Did anyone notice a connection between pop pop sound and bad mobile network coverage? I experience that annoying sound only in areas where my phone coverage is poor. And it’s always accompanied with an info on VC that SOS system has been activated (after a few seconds), so I assume it’s been deactivated earlier with no info provided.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bradecline said:

Did anyone notice a connection between pop pop sound and bad mobile network coverage? I experience that annoying sound only in areas where my phone coverage is poor. And it’s always accompanied with an info on VC that SOS system has been activated (after a few seconds), so I assume it’s been deactivated earlier with no info provided.

I have precisely the same issue. I also wonder if it is due to the internal eSIM making network contact. I didn’t ever have this until my SW was updated to 1896 2 months ago. I had a mass of other issues that were completely addressed by 1896 but now I have the same issue as you 🤷‍♂️

This list is for the Golf Mk8 platform, same software version that is applied to Skoda (with some tweaks of course)

If you look at the amount of modules that should be updated as part of the recall, it gives you some insight as to how tied in the MMI is.

Pay attention to "OCU" this is the part that is giving you issues.  My theory I am working on, is that some dealers doing the update are not applying all of the updates they should be, this causes headaches as the SW1896 is expecting to be talking to OCU and other modules for information it seeks.

I wish I had this document for Skoda (I am looking!)

512679413_CU91CU.thumb.jpg.e94970d7a730ae96da499c0adc495a38.jpg