Infotainment System Restarting endlessly

Mid-way through a holiday in France and the Infotainment gremlins are back…

SOS call fail, parking distance fail and manoeuvre assist  fail, coupled with infotainment system booting, lasting about 30s, freezing and rebooting.

SOS light on red and multiple warnings on dash.

Car is coming up to 2 years old and has had repeated software issues.

Could really use some help from someone who has had this issue and can stop the endless reboots !!!

Navigation by phone is not so easy and nowadays is costly too !!!!

Gonna drop in to French dealer on Monday to see if they can sort it, but do not hold much hope !!!

Car is leased and is being rejected upon my return to UK, sense of humour failure now. Seems issues widespread with the system, software and/or hardware across the whole range and simply not fit for purpose.

Gutted as was hoping to get a vRS in a year’s time, but my confidence in the car/brand shaken.

• Sad 1

Exactly the same happened to me in France 2 weeks ago. SOS fail, red light by SOS button and reboot of whole system every 30 seconds.

As soon as I got back to the UK the car was back to normal. Very annoying. Too busy to get the car to the dealership yet but I’ll have to get it booked in soon to see what they say. I really feel your pain as we ended up with a long drive with a phone perched on the dash for sat nav. The last software update improved the car massively but these things do really knock my confidence.

Had the same issue in my Kodiaq (MY2019) this summer when in Italy. Sorted itself out though after a few days but could use the SatNav all the time. The SIM in my car did not have connection during the issue. There are no messages displayed anylonger which makes it a bit difficult to see what the error actuallly said.

3 hours ago, Andywar said:

Exactly the same happened to me in France 2 weeks ago. SOS fail, red light by SOS button and reboot of whole system every 30 seconds.

As soon as I got back to the UK the car was back to normal. Very annoying. Too busy to get the car to the dealership yet but I’ll have to get it booked in soon to see what they say. I really feel your pain as we ended up with a long drive with a phone perched on the dash for sat nav. The last software update improved the car massively but these things do really knock my confidence.

That’s really interesting, I e we infer if it tried to do a SW update or something…

mibe now all back to normal and in France still, but I want answers from Skoda now. My dealer is mortified !!

Just now, ScottS said:

That’s really interesting, I e we infer if it tried to do a SW update or something…

mibe now all back to normal and in France still, but I want answers from Skoda now. My dealer is mortified !!

I wonder if, even…. Predictive text !!

1 hour ago, sneeks said:

I’ve been considering buying a 2021 SE L First Edition but I’ve read a worrying number of reports regarding this issue which are causing me to reconsider.

It is fundamentally a brilliant car, but the SW is rubbish, so many problems and often repetitions many months apart.

Can’t help but think they have poor quality chips and software and so it acts up all over the place.

Not just the Octavia, it’s a VAG issue on all their vehicles it seems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MatsR said:

Had the same issue in my Kodiaq (MY2019) this summer when in Italy. Sorted itself out though after a few days but could use the SatNav all the time. The SIM in my car did not have connection during the issue. There are no messages displayed anylonger which makes it a bit difficult to see what the error actuallly said.

From forum chats, it seems that there are rogue SOS modules out there which cause this exact issue. My Octavia is one of the very first ones, 70 plate, so not to different to your Kodiaq….

it’s sorted itself out now, but I have no confidence with it now !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Well, it happened to me also, in Romania. Mine is VRS version manufactured around Christmas 2020. 

In my case (1 week ago) it started with a reboot all the time of the run then for the next one it was completely off, no alive sign.  It happened once like 1 year ago not to start the infotainment but i got recovered by pulling out/in the corresponding fuse. This time this solution doesn`t work.  So i made appointment for a local dealer here in Bucharest and surprise: they told me they have no idea how to solve it so they have asked directly on Skoda how to deal with it. 

So i was driving for 1 week with AC ON all the time (i think is set to lowest temp as i pressed "MAX" button) but temperatures started to decrease here and is sometimes it`s really cold inside (hope i don`t have to take winter jacket with me all the time :)) ) 

Anyone knows how to turn off AC with OBD11, if it`s possible to do it ?

Thank you

36 minutes ago, R0Mario said:

Hi, 

Well, it happened to me also, in Romania. Mine is VRS version manufactured around Christmas 2020. 

In my case (1 week ago) it started with a reboot all the time of the run then for the next one it was completely off, no alive sign.  It happened once like 1 year ago not to start the infotainment but i got recovered by pulling out/in the corresponding fuse. This time this solution doesn`t work.  So i made appointment for a local dealer here in Bucharest and surprise: they told me they have no idea how to solve it so they have asked directly on Skoda how to deal with it. 

So i was driving for 1 week with AC ON all the time (i think is set to lowest temp as i pressed "MAX" button) but temperatures started to decrease here and is sometimes it`s really cold inside (hope i don`t have to take winter jacket with me all the time :)) ) 

Anyone knows how to turn off AC with OBD11, if it`s possible to do it ?

Thank you

Sorry to hear this, I know the feeling of being trapped with the air con at the last setting. The infotainment controls too much !!

Hopefully a software update at the dealer will fix it.

9 hours ago, ScottS said:

Sorry to hear this, I know the feeling of being trapped with the air con at the last setting. The infotainment controls too much !!

Hopefully a software update at the dealer will fix it.

Software update would be the easiest solution.  I`m getting so disappointed of such things.. I just hope is not needed a replacement of the infotainment, the spare part for sure won`t come in couple of weeks. 

And one more thing, i believe each of us have to make a complain at dealer, if they get isolated complains most probably won't do too much. It's so embarassing, when I was on the decision to buy this car i was thinking if the infotaiment will survive to -10 or -20 as sometimes we have during winter time, but now crashing because of the software?!?!

Keep in touch.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. Today , finally all the errors are gone. After visiting a shop dealer in Bucharest 3 guys spent like 1 hour on my car asking each other what could be. As nobody knew what to do they decided to pack everything i`ve told them and results of their check in a nice email to Skoda. Later on (after 1 week) they received the message that the infotainment need to be physically replaced. Ok, if you say so, replace it. Today when they gave me the car i saw that actually it was the same display over there and on my questions for clarification on what they did they said it was replaced the module the controls the infotainment.  Now i`m not convinced if this is what was replaced, i`ve seen  some similar stories  where it was replaced the SOS module. 

Anyway, it was an eternity for me to drive daily over a month without controls you have on infotainment. 

2 hours ago, R0Mario said:

Update. Today , finally all the errors are gone. After visiting a shop dealer in Bucharest 3 guys spent like 1 hour on my car asking each other what could be. As nobody knew what to do they decided to pack everything i`ve told them and results of their check in a nice email to Skoda. Later on (after 1 week) they received the message that the infotainment need to be physically replaced. Ok, if you say so, replace it. Today when they gave me the car i saw that actually it was the same display over there and on my questions for clarification on what they did they said it was replaced the module the controls the infotainment.  Now i`m not convinced if this is what was replaced, i`ve seen  some similar stories  where it was replaced the SOS module. 

Anyway, it was an eternity for me to drive daily over a month without controls you have on infotainment. 

The screen is often seperate to the infortainment system, though I cannot say yours is 100% this is normally the case for many systems.

Glad you have got it sorted out now.

Example image

5F.png.f54e8a97cbd422ef71e7c268bcf27f15.png

Edited by varooom

• 5 months later...

It looks like my Octavia has just started doing this. I've contated the garrage to book the car in but the earliest slot is three weeks away, so I've picked up an OBDeleven to see if I can figure out what is going on in the meantime.

Does anyone know if there are any specific codes I should be looking for?

This is a super annoying issue because when the ICE reboots it kills a bunch of the other driver assists. 😫

• 3 weeks later...

To update on my issue: Finally had the car into the garage today. As with @R0Mario I’ve been told that the media control unit also needs replacing on mine. So that’s now on back order with no clear ETA. To be fair to the garage though they agreed Skoda corporate really need to pull their finger out on these sorts of issues.

I have the same issue. At least, each 48 hours, the system reboots itself.

I put out all the usb sticks few days ago and I had no reboot in last 4 days...will test it at least 7...

So usb sticks with mp3 mught be a problem?

Initially I wondered if something like that might be my issue too, @micko83 but disconnecting all my USB devices and doing a factory reset of the headset made no difference.

How often does it reboot when you’ve had the issue?

For me it’s a continuous reboot, every 3-5mins and then after 3-4 reboots it just crashes out entirely and I’m stuck with a black screen on the touch screen until I force a reset via holding down the power button for several seconds.

In my case, I’ve found nothing makes any difference.

Maybe there can be a few different things which can cause this behaviour?

Are your Online Services working? The little globe icon at the bottom of the screen - is it white or grey?
I'm not sure it would have anything to do with your system rebooting endlessly, but you could try to remove fuse 19 for a couple of minutes and see if that changes the behavior of your HU. If that doesn't help, I would also try removing fuse 30 for several minutes to see if that changes anything....

https://car-fuse.blogspot.com/2021/02/2020-skoda-octavia-fuse-panel-diagram.html

• Like 1

On 31/03/2023 at 14:55, picoutputcls said:

Initially I wondered if something like that might be my issue too, @micko83 but disconnecting all my USB devices and doing a factory reset of the headset made no difference.

How often does it reboot when you’ve had the issue?

For me it’s a continuous reboot, every 3-5mins and then after 3-4 reboots it just crashes out entirely and I’m stuck with a black screen on the touch screen until I force a reset via holding down the power button for several seconds.

In my case, I’ve found nothing makes any difference.

Maybe there can be a few different things which can cause this behaviour?

MY reboots every 24 -  48 hours. just reboot during the ride, turned on after few seconds. Each reboot deleted my favorited contacts.

I had one USB stick with music disconnected and no problem since then. so it has to be something with reading the USB after turning on the car. No problem since 5 days...so I will format the USB and put back the mp3 and try again...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had the re-boot associated with an Orange PDC warning? Mine is starting to system reboot (media) every few days, always in the first 5 mins of a journey and recently it has been preceded by a PDC warning... It seems to be happening more and more, now it recently re-booted twice before it worked properly. Compared with the issues I have had in the past this is just annoying, but if it keeps getting worse.... and the warranty runs out in November, so keen to chase this one down. I am on the latest software. 

39 minutes ago, matrix2020 said:

Has anyone had the re-boot associated with an Orange PDC warning? Mine is starting to system reboot (media) every few days, always in the first 5 mins of a journey and recently it has been preceded by a PDC warning... It seems to be happening more and more, now it recently re-booted twice before it worked properly. Compared with the issues I have had in the past this is just annoying, but if it keeps getting worse.... and the warranty runs out in November, so keen to chase this one down. I am on the latest software. 

Yes! Mine has started doing this randomly in the last month or so and it always occurs in the first few minutes of the journey.

I tried to get a video of it but, typically, it doesn't happen when I'm pointing a camera at it 😁.

Interestingly it happened the other day when I turned on the ignition (but not the engine) and was sat on the drive waiting for everyone to get in the car.

I had a front parking sensor replaced recently so I was wondering if it was related to that?

• Like 1

Same here, for a couple weeks ago, it started to reboot in the first 10 minutes in car. Occasionally with an error from parking assistant as well. After one or two reboots, its stable. 

But today the car was completely dead so its in the workshop now. 

• Like 2