Infotainment System Restarting endlessly

A good question would be: are these reboots still happening with the newly delivered cars? And do the recent delivered ones have the same hardware? Also, in the end, are these reboots happening more in UK due to some right hand driving strange behavior of the software? I seemed to notice that the reboots tend to happen more often in UK, but maybe it is just because we have more inputs on the forum from the UK side.. don't know. 

I have already visited them 8 times during the year. The last time (in May) they said that they had updated something, but even at the dealership's service, when I started the car, the multimedia restart happened immediately.

I started a new test today.

I connected the phone to multimedia with a cable, turning off the phone's wifi and bluetooth connection. And as a result, there was no restart during the 15-minute drive.

I should mention that I use Android Auto with a Samsung phone.

2 minutes ago, Ctflr said:

A good question would be: are these reboots still happening with the newly delivered cars? And do the recent delivered ones have the same hardware? Also, in the end, are these reboots happening more in UK due to some right hand driving strange behavior of the software? I seemed to notice that the reboots tend to happen more often in UK, but maybe it is just because we have more inputs on the forum from the UK side.. don't know. 

I am in the EU(LHD), and have all the issues that were mentioned here(in all the threads), i think that a lot of people here drive Octavia's as company cars and don't bother to look up something. 
afc there is also a lot more people in UK or Germany that will report that issue. Even on FB groups those issues are mentioned light, if there is any.. 

OT - I called now the servise, and they have not recevied any other reports about the rebooting multimedia 😕, hope the reboots will not drain the battery..

6 minutes ago, Ctflr said:

it's not just a UK problem!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Combi_NX5 said:

I connected the phone to multimedia with a cable, turning off the phone's wifi and bluetooth connection. And as a result, there was no restart during the 15-minute drive.

will try that on my trip back from work :) disable all the connections on the MIB... [I use carplay]

• Like 1

Mine too has begun to reboot soon after starting up, usually with the Parking Distance error message. Yesterday I had three reboots on one of the journeys, one on another, and none on the other two.

Inconsistency like that makes diagnosis much more difficult, especially combined with differing versions of system s/ware; though I guess it’s all a service oriented architecture with many components running their own s/ware interlinked with service calls each of which will have their own version control & testing headaches. I’m not making excuses for Škoda/VAG as they should be fixing all the issues for the paying customer, but I acknowledge it’s a big job (of their own making).

Makes me so pleased I switched from software development to IT Infrastructure (or as I called it, Tin and String 😉) - and perhaps fortunately retired a few years back as a lot of software defined infrastructure services were coming in.

4 hours ago, SebastianHR said:

Mine started also to restart after the last update, but I have one more to add. It does it also when the car is locked. So the whole night it was rebooting or the radio was working. very strange.

Made videos, will send them to the service.

You can not even drive in quiet, it restarts all the time.(starts up, radio works for 2-5secs, then reboot again, shows the main user, starts the radio and then again reboots....)

Tried fuse 19. Fuse 19 and 30. nothing helps.

The feeling is like someone is always clicking on the on\off button on the radio\multimedia. 

Hope the update will come ASAP,

Welcome to the club!

What you describe I had last year. After 'updates' didn't solve the issue, they changed media control unit. It helped for about half a year. This year again they were sending me off with 'updates' and when they understood it doesn't help, they changed media control unit again. Issues continued the very next day! This thing drains my 12V battery to such extent that I already had to call roadside assistance once just to jump start me in the morning.

I noticed that in my case this behavior starts or intensifies when it is becoming hot outside (25+). So I blame those touchless buttons or gesture recognition (seriously, who even needs that in a car?). But issue may be wherever else.

And I won't hope for a fast fix. It took Skoda 3 years to come up with new configuration of the camera to fix TA failures. What can we expect from them?

• Sad 1

This issue is widespread. We rock at least 30 Škoda Octavias where I work and everybody occasionally experiences spontaneous reboots of the infotainment system. Keep in mind that our fleet includes mostly newer cars made 2021 or later. 

I drive 2023 Octavia with (H58, SW 1898) and had two spontaneous reboots just today immediately after I had started the car. Bummer!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Edela said:

Welcome to the club!

What you describe I had last year. After 'updates' didn't solve the issue, they changed media control unit. It helped for about half a year. This year again they were sending me off with 'updates' and when they understood it doesn't help, they changed media control unit again. Issues continued the very next day! This thing drains my 12V battery to such extent that I already had to call roadside assistance once just to jump start me in the morning.

I noticed that in my case this behavior starts or intensifies when it is becoming hot outside (25+). So I blame those touchless buttons or gesture recognition (seriously, who even needs that in a car?). But issue may be wherever else.

And I won't hope for a fast fix. It took Skoda 3 years to come up with new configuration of the camera to fix TA failures. What can we expect from them?

They changed mine(control unit) last year for other issues I had. This is now new for me :) if it will start to annoy me even more I will take the fuse completely out. :)

Tomorrow I am writing an email to the distributor, just to give them a heads up if I will need a new battery for the car that they can pay for it.

Did they give you some tips n trick how to keep the radio shutdown, at least over the night? Mine starts in like 3-5sec if I shut it down manually. 

39 minutes ago, SebastianHR said:

Did they give you some tips n trick how to keep the radio shutdown, at least over the night? Mine starts in like 3-5sec if I shut it down manually. 

Nope. I mean, reception guys in workshops are pretty useless, they just receive and give out cars. Hadn't had opportunity to speak to technicians, but given that I wen to 3 different workshops in total already 8 times, I wouldn't trust them either. When I try to speak to importer I could only reach customer support, which is not that bad because they kick my dealer to do smth, but can't do much apart of that.

So I figured myself I can either remove charging schedules and leave the car on constant charge, since it is PHEV and it is charging 12V battery while connected to the grid, either pull fuse 30. The problem with pulling fuse is that I'm not sure that is infotainment alone drains my 12V battery. If I lock the car and stay inside, I hear some sounds from every few minutes, the same clicks and movements as if I'm approaching the car for the first time in the morning and it wakes up.

5 hours ago, Ctflr said:

Got mine in January 2023. It had some daft errors on the dash like stop start, acc and lane assist not working. But the radio unit rarely crashed. It then went to Skoda for various work and since then it’s been crashing every day, every drive. Its software version is 1896 (I think) this was installed when the car pinged a notification for update availability last Thursday, which has only increased the frequency of software crashes. 

• Groan 1

5 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

Mine too has begun to reboot soon after starting up, usually with the Parking Distance error message. Yesterday I had three reboots on one of the journeys, one on another, and none on the other two.

Inconsistency like that makes diagnosis much more difficult, especially combined with differing versions of system s/ware; though I guess it’s all a service oriented architecture with many components running their own s/ware interlinked with service calls each of which will have their own version control & testing headaches. I’m not making excuses for Škoda/VAG as they should be fixing all the issues for the paying customer, but I acknowledge it’s a big job (of their own making).

Makes me so pleased I switched from software development to IT Infrastructure (or as I called it, Tin and String 😉) - and perhaps fortunately retired a few years back as a lot of software defined infrastructure services were coming in.

I'm still wrangling bits for a living and if this many people are having the same problem then I hope it should be pretty straightforward for the development team to reproduce it on whatever test hardware they have.

They have test hardware... right?!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark Hiscock said:

They have test hardware... right?!

I assume so - but for the kph/mph issue I reckon it was my car! The dealer had it for five months 🙄

• Groan 1

21 hours ago, Combi_NX5 said:

I have already visited them 8 times during the year. The last time (in May) they said that they had updated something, but even at the dealership's service, when I started the car, the multimedia restart happened immediately.

I started a new test today.

I should mention that I use Android Auto with a Samsung phone.

just wanted to say, I disabled esim, wifi and bluetooth on MIB and it was better, no restarts for 20mins.

it was damp and wet the last 2-3 days so I think it is not connected to the heat.

also, currenty I have the 1896 SW on the MIB.

What I additionaly noticed, over the night no additional restarts when the car is locked. the screen was dark almost whole night but at 4AM(cca) it booted and is now still on, rebooting :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy585 said:

Drove 8 miles 4 reboots in that short journey that’s the version I am on 

IMG_5778.jpeg

As you are on a VW SW Train, you should be able to go to 1941 in theory.

I should add to this, you really shouldn't be on a VW SW Train of course.

Edited by varooom
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, varooom said:

As you are on a VW SW Train, you should be able to go to 1941 in theory.

I should add to this, you really shouldn't be on a VW SW Train of course.

Picked the car up from dealers start of April must have been them who have done it during PDI

Edited by Andy585

3 minutes ago, Andy585 said:

Picked the car up from dealers start of April must have been them who have done it during DPI 

I think I would be asking them why your car is on a VW SW Train, they won't know... but they can push this off to technical to find out.

• Groan 1