Karoq cam belt change - start saving now !

DBSurrey

I have a 2018 Karoq 1.5 petrol, DSG, SE L. 15k miles. DADA engine code.

Dealer rang to me to book in service and phrased it "Service, MOT, cam belt and brake fluid change" Shall we book it all in?

I instantly didn't like that approach. Bundled all together as though it's some package, no mention of cost. Was £1100 for the cambelt change when I queried.

Doesn't seem worth it to me.

• Like 2

Ethereum, this approach was exactly our experience as well. I do not know what our engine code is, but it is a 1.5 petrol with ACT and DSG transmission. Again we were quoted £1100, as we had a free service due this must (surely) have been just for the belt change. It was at this point we challenged and negotiated with the dealer. The outcome, although I’m not suggesting everyone will reach it, was a written quote of £550 give or take, along with a courtesy car for duration of job, probably 3 days because we live a fair distance from dealer doing the work.  Challenge, hunt around see what you can get, I just don’t want to worrying about snapping belts, dropped valves, all you’re basic nightmares…. Good luck. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, T-O-C said:

Ethereum, this approach was exactly our experience as well. I do not know what our engine code is, but it is a 1.5 petrol with ACT and DSG transmission. Again we were quoted £1100, as we had a free service due this must (surely) have been just for the belt change. It was at this point we challenged and negotiated with the dealer. The outcome, although I’m not suggesting everyone will reach it, was a written quote of £550 give or take, along with a courtesy car for duration of job, probably 3 days because we live a fair distance from dealer doing the work.  Challenge, hunt around see what you can get, I just don’t want to worrying about snapping belts, dropped valves, all you’re basic nightmares…. Good luck. 

I asked myself - if I traded in my Karoq tomorrow, would the dealer fit a new cambelt before putting it on the forecourt? And I am very doubtful that would be the case.

If a cam belt needs replacing after 15k miles, it's not a very good car really IMO. So even £550 seems an excessive price.

11 minutes ago, sussamb said:

As I understand from previous comments here the DADA engine doesn't require a cambelt change until well over 100000 miles 

I vaguely read something about that from @varooom and the screenshot of the manual he posted. But not sure where the DADA lifetime thing came from?

Just had a quote today from local Skoda dealers for Cam Belt change on the Karoq (Petrol 1.5) - £1018.66. The recommended time for change is 50k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

1 minute ago, Skodasav said:

Just had a quote today from local Skoda dealers for Cam Belt change on the Karoq (Petrol 1.5) - £1018.66. The recommended time for change is 50k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Another weird motoring thing "5 years or 50k miles whichever comes first."

But those two things are not the same thing.  

I think £1k  for a cam belt is a bit of a joke really.

• Groan 1

2 hours ago, ethereum said:

Another weird motoring thing "5 years or 50k miles whichever comes first."

But those two things are not the same thing.

Well ok it does assume you do an average annual mileage across 5 years of 10_000 miles per year. I think you need to explain your logic further though.

• Like 1

Simples.

It is not 'the belt / kit' that costs £1,000 it is that and 6 hours or more labour and VAT that you are paying for. 

Then the knowledge and equipment the person your paying the labour charge to.

If you think you do not need to have it done then do not, or you could do it yourself if you have all the gear and more than an idea. 

If someplace is doing it for £550 than wunderba.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 18.20.53.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-19 18.20.32.jpg

22190367_575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c(1).jpg.0b06f1d5d5d159b07d3d237fd672b0c1.jpg

Edited by toot

• 4 weeks later...

Fascinating read and joined up purely to respond! My Karoq had its 5 year service yesterday (inc. £300 to replace the electric handbrake switch!) and as part of leaving package was told “recommended” to have cam belt changed now…..c.£800 I think (main dealer). From reading this thread:

1. Skoda’s manual for the vehicle does not recommend replace after five years but specifies replacement after X miles.

2. Skoda Germany follows the Skoda manual. 
It seems unlikely (but is possible?) that UK cars fitted with lower grade cam belts….

Did Which? ever look into the point? Someone was asking them I think?

I’m planning to keep the car long term so will probably take the cost hit at next service - I’m very low mileage - but something doesn’t smell right about this - maybe VAG’s insurers involved and looking to head off any potential liability at huge and unnecessary cost to owners? Or maybe there is a real looming problem which Skoda aren’t yet ready to acknowledge? Just hope my engine doesn’t blow up over the next 12 months. 

@karoqandrollWelcome to the forum.

Is it a 1.5 TSI ACT that you have?

The 5 years that Skoda Main Dealetship staff or Customer Services or the Guidelines, recommendations or schedule on Uk websites is what they show for any engines with cam belts and what they have done for years now. 

As to Karoq with 1.0TSI engines.

This thread from the Mk3 Fabia section might interest some.  Be sure that those doing the Cam Belt have the Gear. (locking) and more than ideas.

Actual know how to do the job correctly.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/511272-engine-vivrations-after-cambelt-change-10-tsi-110-3-cylinder-dsg-2018-fabia-mk3

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, toot said:

@karoqandrollWelcome to the forum.

Is it a 1.5 TSI ACT that you have?

The 5 years that Skoda Main Dealetship staff or Customer Services or the Guidelines, recommendations or schedule on Uk websites is what they show for any engines with cam belts and what they have done for years now. 

As to Karoq with 1.0TSI engines.

This thread from the Mk3 Fabia section might interest some.  Be sure that those doing the Cam Belt have the Gear. (locking) and more than ideas.

Actual know how to do the job correctly.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/511272-engine-vivrations-after-cambelt-change-10-tsi-110-3-cylinder-dsg-2018-fabia-mk3

I did wonder about this when they tried to book mine in. Probably more things likely to go wrong from a cam belt change rather than the cam belt, that was fitted at the factory, going wrong itself.

• Like 2
  • Groan 1

27 minutes ago, ethereum said:

I did wonder about this when they tried to book mine in. Probably more things likely to go wrong from a cam belt change rather than the cam belt, that was fitted at the factory, going wrong itself.

My concern as well.
According to Skoda Workshop manual, current cambelt replacement requires very careful handling of the new belt and a dedicated device for tuning the new installation.

• Like 2

thanks. i’d be inclined to use a main dealer for cam replacement - mainly because they’re big enough to after if they fvck it up. going to a main dealer means less likelihood of a fvck up but still a complicated job and main dealers run very lean so that they can extract as much profit as possible….. i.e. a risk of an incentive to cut corners. 

• Like 1

Just as a little aside to this thread...

I have a 1995 MX5 and last had the cambelt replaced on that car in 2004 - that's 19 years ago.  It's still fine  despite being given a pretty hard life.  I'm not too concerned about it failing as it's a non-interference engine so it'll get left until it does fail.

I know it's not comparable to the new VW engines but it does give you an idea of the durability of belts.

Personally I think there is more risk in changing a belt than leaving it given modern belt durability (and I know mine is a 1.4TSi but it has similar information in it's workshop manual to the 1.5TSi - ie an inspection / potential change based on mileage only) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skomaz said:

Personally I think there is more risk in changing a belt than leaving it given modern belt durability...

You hit the nail on the head, it all comes down to the individuals perception of risk.

If we look at this realistically, out of all the VW group ICE cars that require(d) a belt change at 4yr/40k and now 5yr/50k, such a tiny percentage of cars have suffered issues as a result of the belt breaking. ( I've never heard of anyone I know who's owned a VW Group car having issues ). And you can bet your last dollar that many, many cars will not have had the belt changed whether it be for financial or reasons such as skomaz mentions. So the risk factor of something going wrong because the belt wasn't changed has to be very small indeed.

What bothers me tho, and I may have mentioned this in the past, is that there people here who agree, the risk factor is very small, yet when you read a post where someone says they're interested in a used car - what do Briskoda members think? the replies are always the same  "make sure the cambelt has been changed".

So when deciding on whether or not to change a cambelt at 5yr/50k as recommended in the UK, what about people asking themselves this...   would they be happy to buy a 6 year old Skoda didn't have it's cambelt changed?  

I agree with the argument that changing the belt may cause more issues than if it were left alone, but isn't that theory thrown upside down when we advise others  "make sure the car has had it's cambelt changed"  or  " a lack of cambelt change shows how the previous owner has neglected their car so best walk away" etc? 

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 2

'Lifetime cam belt'.   that could be a very long life, a decade or more.

All that is needed now are 'Lifetime' tensioners.  A decade or more will be perfect. 

Maybe even a 7 year warranty on them would satisfy many. 

Edited by toot

• 4 weeks later...

@toot @varooom just out of interest would you get the Cam Belt changed at 5 years or 50,000?

If no when if ever would you replace?

My 5 years will be in August and car has done at moment around 45k I will no doubt be having the conversation with the dealer then.

🙂

2 minutes ago, MJ1 said:

@toot @varooom just out of interest would you get the Cam Belt changed at 5 years or 50,000?

If no when if ever would you replace?

My 5 years will be in August and car has done at moment around 45k I will no doubt be having the conversation with the dealer then.

🙂

Personally I wouldn't change it, but there's no exact definition of a "lifetime" so it boils down to you weighing up the risk, or perceived risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MJ1I would have a cambelt replaced @ 5 years or maybe before if i had owned one from new and knew how it was driven and where kept because i would have driven it.

(I lease cars from Motability that do lots of miles and cars i own do not do many miles and get serviced accordingly and cost little over the many years i have them.)

In my Electric Corsa from Motability i have done 55,000 miles in 34 months & it is a shame but someone will end up buying it once it is at auction in the next 3 months.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/513911-kodiaq-cam-belt-replacement-required-or-advisory

• Thanks 1

On 06/06/2023 at 22:14, varooom said:

Personally I wouldn't change it, but there's no exact definition of a "lifetime" so it boils down to you weighing up the risk, or perceived risk.

Thanks for the response and yes Lifetime is really open to interpretation. I think I am leaning towards your view at least this year when my warranty runs out. although I can renew at over £200 a year....

• Like 1