1.5TSI or 2.0TSI?

ItalianJob

Looking at a new Karoq Sportline DSG as my next car, sorry if this has been done before and if it has can someone point me to the posts/threads?

Not sure of any major pros/cons other than the 2.0 is significantly faster, but obviously thirstier. In terms of standard kit , from what I can see, they are identical?

Would I be happy with the 1.5?? or would I be craving more ooomph having had a Superb 2.0TSI 190.

I previously had a 2.0 Tsi 180 4x4 Kodiaq and went through the same dilemma when choosing my second Kodiaq.

The things that swayed my decision were, the price of the 2.0 Tsi with options I wanted would take the price over £40k which would incur the £500 annual VED, and it looks like the Karoq Sportline could be the same.

Secondly I put great thought into do I really need 4x4 having suffered Haldex failure in my previous Kodiaq, the cost of extra maintenance and the extra fuel required to hump around the extra weight of the bigger engine and 4x4 system ( which is equivalent to carrying two people around), and as I already used winter wheels/ tyres during the winter, I decided to go for the 1.5 Tsi 2WD option.

All I can say I’ve not been disappointed, the 1.5 copes admirably even when loaded with grandkids and all their paraphernalia, and regularly achieves 40+ mpg using Tesco momentum 99 E5.

• Like 1

We’re having to trade in our Land Rover this afternoon (big thanks to the ULEZ compliant Mayor Khan) for a 1.5 Tsi DSG Sportline petrol and having test driven that and a 2.0 litre diesel wouldn’t say there was a discernible difference between the two although I suppose in the long run the diesel would give more mpg although given the fuel price differential there’s probably no saving. Not aware of any cosmetic differences

1 hour ago, BTandSid said:

We’re having to trade in our Land Rover this afternoon (big thanks to the ULEZ compliant Mayor Khan) for a 1.5 Tsi DSG Sportline petrol and having test driven that and a 2.0 litre diesel wouldn’t say there was a discernible difference between the two although I suppose in the long run the diesel would give more mpg although given the fuel price differential there’s probably no saving. Not aware of any cosmetic differences

The diesel will probably be much better up hill. I have had diesel and now have two petrol cars, and this is where I notice the difference most.

I went for the 2.0 TSI 4x4, on the basis that I only drive less than 10,000 miles a year now, so the extra fuel consumption wouldn't be too disastrous. In practice I get around 35 mpg on shopping trips and 40+ on longer journeys. I don't off-road, but the 4x4 prevents wheelspin on icy or damp roads and feels very reassuring. It also seems to be balancing out the tyre wear for me as all wheels are being down at the same rate. 

Mine squeaked under the £40k boundary as I bought it back in 2020 (despite the many visits to the option list!). 

My 3 week old 2.0 petrol Kodiaq is loosening up nicely.

After 2 diesels in a row I’m enjoying the silence of the petrol and - the responsiveness.

I’ve given it a few bursts up my favourite slip roads and am looking forward to finding out the maximum revs before it automatically changes up.

I know the 1.5 would disappoint me.

We all have to make our own choice as we all have different criteria/priorities.

11 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

My 3 week old 2.0 petrol Kodiaq is loosening up nicely.

After 2 diesels in a row I’m enjoying the silence of the petrol and - the responsiveness.

I’ve given it a few bursts up my favourite slip roads and am looking forward to finding out the maximum revs before it automatically changes up.

I know the 1.5 would disappoint me.

We all have to make our own choice as we all have different criteria/priorities.

You do realise this is the Karoq forum?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, sussamb said:

I imagine the 1.5 in the Kodiaq is a totally different 'beast' to the Karoq in terms of economy and performance,

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ItalianJob said:

I imagine the 1.5 in the Kodiaq is a totally different 'beast' to the Karoq in terms of economy and performance,

Exactly, if it’s fine in the bigger Kodiaq, it’s going to be more than fine in a Karoq. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Exactly, if it’s fine in the bigger Kodiaq, it’s going to be more than fine in a Karoq. 

He has the 2 litre and suggested 1.5 wouldn't be good enough. In the smaller Karoq the 1.5 is fine.

On 12/04/2023 at 09:49, ItalianJob said:

Would I be happy with the 1.5?? or would I be craving more ooomph having had a Superb 2.0TSI 190.

How much ooomph do you need to be happy?

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

14 minutes ago, EnterName said:

How much ooomph do you need to be happy?

Very true. I test drove the 1.5 and it had more than enough for me, even though it was around 40bhp less than my previous car.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sussamb said:

Very true. I test drove the 1.5 and it had more than enough for me, even though it was around 40bhp less than my previous car.

We're all different. I came from a diesel, so I wanted an engine that would give me lots of low down grunt, as I don't tend to hoon about much most of the time.

Lots of low-down grunt tends to mean a big engine.

In my Octavia, for 90% of my driving, the 1.5TSI would be a better choice than my 2.0TSI, given my love of economy and my tendency to potter around like an old man. (Actually I am an old man now, so even if I raced around, I'd still be driving like an old man, but YKWIM.)

Here is some ooomph data. (Source https://www.automobile-catalog.com) which uses manufacturer's data. I pulled the data off the site myself to bung it into Excel so I could have a look at the power curves and help me choose an engine.

Speaking of curves, I've also included the Ooomph curves for both engines from the data. (Edit: The highlighted portions of the data are peak Oomph zones.)

image.thumb.png.c214dad223b5079226e52045c0ba60e2.pngimage.thumb.png.d29c86c38848d8c335f22b50e3eed18b.png

Edited by EnterName
Editing
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sussamb said:

Yes.

Just suggesting a 2 litre petrol in a Karoq would be a lot more more fun than a 1.5.

Just as it is in a Kodiaq.

While some get a kick out of a 1.5 in either car.

12 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

Just suggesting a 2 litre petrol in a Karoq would be a lot more more fun than a 1.5.

Just as it is in a Kodiaq.

While some get a kick out of a 1.5 in either car.

Depends on how you drive, most of the extra power is nearer top of rev range, so if you're the kind of person who rarely does more than say 4000 revs not really going to notice it very often.

But UK spec means to get 2 litre get the 4x4 system which adds dead weight (think of it like carrying few sacks of cement around) which wouldn't do if you wanted to drive a sports car.

Also now need to watch the £40k extra Vehicle excise duty threshold, so unless you voluntarily like paying extra tax for 5 years, might not be best option.

Anyone worried about grip would be better buying a set of rims and winter tyres, about half the price of upgrading to 4x4 system, and lot more effective.

Lots of wheels to choose from

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/639a0118-4da5-446b-a786-86e1f789b57b

• Like 2

On 14/04/2023 at 11:01, EnterName said:

We're all different. I came from a diesel, so I wanted an engine that would give me lots of low down grunt, as I don't tend to hoon about much most of the time.

Lots of low-down grunt tends to mean a big engine.

In my Octavia, for 90% of my driving, the 1.5TSI would be a better choice than my 2.0TSI, given my love of economy and my tendency to potter around like an old man. (Actually I am an old man now, so even if I raced around, I'd still be driving like an old man, but YKWIM.)

Here is some ooomph data. (Source https://www.automobile-catalog.com) which uses manufacturer's data. I pulled the data off the site myself to bung it into Excel so I could have a look at the power curves and help me choose an engine.

Speaking of curves, I've also included the Ooomph curves for both engines from the data. (Edit: The highlighted portions of the data are peak Oomph zones.)

image.thumb.png.c214dad223b5079226e52045c0ba60e2.pngimage.thumb.png.d29c86c38848d8c335f22b50e3eed18b.png

Thanks for providing this 👍

I'm around two and a half thousand miles in on our 1.5 TSi (manual) Karoq and I remain a little underwhelmed by the engine. 

Whilst it's certainly quiet enough at a motorway cruise (seems to be geared at 35 mph / 1k revs in 6th) it is a little gutless at motorway speeds and requires a down change more often than I expected on faster A roads.

I initially dismissed the 2.0 TSi as it was DSG only, put on reflection suspect this may have been a more engaging option.

First and second gear also seem rather short - now the car has a few miles on the clock I took it towards the red line in second and see it's only reaching around 45 mph.

My last experience of a reasonable capacity Skoda petrol was either a 1.8 TSi (160 bhp) Octavia II estate or a 1.8T 20v Octavia I estate, both of which were considerably more tractable than the current Evo II 1.5 TSi.

The major advantage of the newer engine seems to be considerably improved fuel economy though - which I guess is progress of sorts🤔

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

Thanks for providing this 👍

I'm around two and a half thousand miles in on our 1.5 TSi (manual) Karoq and I remain a little underwhelmed by the engine. 

Whilst it's certainly quiet enough at a motorway cruise (seems to be geared at 35 mph / 1k revs in 6th) it is a little gutless at motorway speeds and requires a down change more often than I expected on faster A roads.

I initially dismissed the 2.0 TSi as it was DSG only, put on reflection suspect this may have been a more engaging option.

First and second gear also seem rather short - now the car has a few miles on the clock I took it towards the red line in second and see it's only reaching around 45 mph.

My last experience of a reasonable capacity Skoda petrol was either a 1.8 TSi (160 bhp) Octavia II estate or a 1.8T 20v Octavia I estate, both of which were considerably more tractable than the current Evo II 1.5 TSi.

The major advantage of the newer engine seems to be considerably improved fuel economy though - which I guess is progress of sorts🤔

The data from the website would suggest a maximum of 60 mph in second gear and gearing of 29.1 mph/1k revs in 6th, although I'm  definitely seeing 2k revs at a genuine 70 mpg (in sixth)

Screenshot_20230415_223651_com.android.chrome_edit_594607557249892.jpg

8 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

🤔

All tsi engines work well with DSG gearboxes,

but they can be hard work as they rev freely but don't pull well from very low revs, so have to change down yourself quite often if you opt for manual. 

You can no longer buy a UK Superb or Kodiaq with a manual gearbox, perhaps they should have discontinued manual on Karoq too.

17 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

I had a real bee in my bonnet about the DSG and was convinced that getting one would be a bad idea, but my tuner convinced me that the DSG was actually a more robust option if I intended to remap the TDI.

Eventually when I drove the DSG, I found a lot of the negative characteristics about the DSG (problems reversing uphill being one I tested for) simply didn't manifest themselves when I drove the car.

I found the kickdown a bit slow, and actually rejected a car because it kickeddown a bit slower than I'd have liked, but on reflection, I could have downshifted easily with the paddles. But as it was my first test drive of the DSG, I was unfamiliar with the controls.

Now I've got a petrol car without DSG but paddles, which is a shame as they'd be quite handy, but I've got used to it.

9 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

All tsi engines work well with DSG gearboxes,

but they can be hard work as they rev freely but don't pull well from very low revs, so have to change down yourself quite often if you opt for manual. 

You can no longer buy a UK Superb or Kodiaq with a manual gearbox, perhaps they should have discontinued manual on Karoq too.

Of course it all comes down to personal preference, but I've driven a number of DSG / S-tronic and simply never got on with the driving dynamics, although I seem to be in an ever decreasing minority, as even the guy who sold me the Karoq strongly advised going for DSG!

Whilst it's certainly a step up from CVT, I'm ultimately happier in a torque converter auto. My 2 older cars have ZF 6 & 7 speed torque converter autos which work incredibly well, despite being 20 and 17 years old (strongly suspect there won't be many DSG gearboxes which prove to be similarly robust, although admittedly the car will no doubt be scrap long before😁).

If Skoda move to solely DSG for ICE vehicles I guess I'll need to consider who still uses conventional automatic transmissions.

In the meantime the Karoq is a pretty decent car and, as I bought the extended warranty, will be with me for at least five years!!

3 hours ago, EnterName said:

I had a real bee in my bonnet about the DSG and was convinced that getting one would be a bad idea, but my tuner convinced me that the DSG was actually a more robust option if I intended to remap the TDI.

Eventually when I drove the DSG, I found a lot of the negative characteristics about the DSG (problems reversing uphill being one I tested for) simply didn't manifest themselves when I drove the car.

I found the kickdown a bit slow, and actually rejected a car because it kickeddown a bit slower than I'd have liked, but on reflection, I could have downshifted easily with the paddles. But as it was my first test drive of the DSG, I was unfamiliar with the controls.

Now I've got a petrol car without DSG but paddles, which is a shame as they'd be quite handy, but I've got used to it.

+1 re the paddles.  My chosen country road overtake is to drop two gears using the left paddle and then when I am done just hold the right paddle for a second and it goes back to the previous driving mode.

tom

• Like 2