What is your favourite thing about your Kamiq?

Stoker

@Stoker

That wasn't me, it was MarineBoy. As for coasting and dabbing brakes, I prefer as I suggested to use manual mode so engine braking holds the car at the correct speed.

Edited by sussamb
  • Like 1

I've found with the DSG that about town it sometimes tends to hold onto lower gears longer than necessary.  To deal with this, I switch to manual, although sometimes just switching to manual and then back to drive causes the DSG to hold the higher gear.

As regards using D, I've found that you can "coast" on the level, down hill and up hill.  Indeed, on occasions I've had to brake the car when going up hill in a stream of traffic at a steady speed when the engine has switched to D.

Going downhill, I tend to switch to manual and use the brakes to control speed rather than braking while using DSG and causing it to select far lower gears than necessary, it improves economy no end.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My 2019 Kamiq is my first car that has had blind spot detection and I don't think that I would have another car that did not have that safety feature.  Whilst it is not a feature that I particularly like, I am amazed at the negative comments on Lane Assist.  Both my wife and I feel that it is a useful safety function that we never turn off,  when it does give a nudge that we have crossed a centre line or the system fails to recognise the lack of a centre line, the nudge that Line Assist gives is such that any sensible driver should expect and cope with, during normal driving.

Whilst not a like, my biggest gripe is the fixed, very low passenger seat.  I have raised this by 30mm but my wife still uses a 100mm seat cushion which she also uses when driving the car.

My other like is the car's utter reliability, it has never had any fault over the 4 years of ownership. 

• Like 1

Do you not have a height adjustment for the seat? Maybe it was introduced on later models as my nearly one year old car has it.

As for these so called driver aids I've already made my views known on some, lane assist for example is turned off the moment I get in. Yes I can cope when it's on but can't really see its usefulness. My car doesn't have blind spot detection but again I don't see its usefulness. I wouldn't 100% trust it so would always need to do a shoulder check, so if doing that anyway why the need for a driver aid that may or may not be accurate.

• Haha 1

You do not rely on it, but if you happen to not spot something / someone there might be an alert.

Amazing those that think they see everything and are in full control.  Because they miss things they do not know they missed seeing something.

All these that are never in an accident but cause them. 

• Like 1

I think the height adjustable passenger seat is on the options list these days for most models. I tried to get it on my SE Drive but it wasn't an option then reading deeper it appears to be standard on the SE Drive so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

@sussambNever rely or count on anything working, or take for granted, you just use your observations and skills.

If ever you need the ABS it might not work or the tyres might still get no grip or traction so be ready to do your modulation braking.

The Air bag might not deploy, especially those in VW Group vehicles but thats how things go. There were all those decades in the last century when there were no air bags.

• Like 2

On 16/11/2023 at 11:34, wooly4228 said:

You are WAY too serious it's a joke comment 

Then an emoticon would have been appropriate, I too read it at face value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Then an emoticon would have been appropriate, I too read it at face value.

Me too.  I wasn't happy with Lane Assist initially but either I have adjusted to it or it has adjusted to me or both.  Certainly, I find that if you are gripping the wheel, then the tug is harder, but then you shouldn't be gripping the wheel.  I found, too, that when I had a wheel alignment check done after clouting a kerb to avoid a heavy lorry that had decided to drive on my side of the road and the wheel aligner (not a Skoda dealer) actually misaligned the wheels, then Lane Assist became more violent.

I love the DSG gearbox, the big wheels, it handles well enough for me. The fuel economy is very satisfactory, 

The seats are amazingly comfortable (Monte Carlo) my only concern was the lack of boot space for tool kit ,

tyre inflator etc. BUT with the seats down I got 2x 290 litre bags of pruned shrubbery in the back plus a

couple of rubble bags. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sussamb said:

Strange as mine has no rattles etc. Otherwise I agree ... fantastic car.

Ditto until recently when a faint light metallicy rattle/vibration appeared from the steering wheel console area.  Some days there, some days not and always disappears in a few minutes, so for the moment just waiting to see if it goes away.

• Like 1

Mine has had no odd noises that I can think of.  The Lioness loves the car and can trace most noises,

squeaks especially, often only need a tiny squirt or wipe of silicone polish or similar in dashboard joints.. 

Edited by gumdrop
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention, I acquired some "boot nets" that hold a lot of my boot junk.

These lift out in minutes, should I need the boot space, and are just as quickly restored.

*Problems? 

Leaves settle in the scuttle area (where the wipers hide) this needs to be kept clear.

Green "moss" along the window seals. No matter what I do bearing in mind that any

chemicals used wind up inside the doors and may cause corrosion.

On 26/11/2023 at 09:35, gumdrop said:

*Problems? 

Leaves settle in the scuttle area (where the wipers hide) this needs to be kept clear.

Green "moss" along the window seals. No matter what I do bearing in mind that any

chemicals used wind up inside the doors and may cause corrosion.

Happens pretty much in every car, I do what @marineboydoes 

• Like 1

On 24/11/2023 at 08:58, gumdrop said:

Mine has had no odd noises that I can think of.  The Lioness loves the car and can trace most noises,

squeaks especially, often only need a tiny squirt or wipe of silicone polish or similar in dashboard joints.. 

I keep reading about these squeaks in the Kamiq but I honestly can’t  relate.  My MC is literally the quietest, most solidly built car ive ever had.  I’ve had 2 x Audi’s (both new) a horrendous BMW (again new) and various other brands over the years but the Kamiq is hands down better than the lot.

Maybe mine is the exception 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3