Superb III Sportline - Mission Impossible Spec

ApertureS

I was more intrigued by the sneaking views of your Georgian (I think) house, nice to see that it is generally original and unmolested 👍

I bet the Superb would not pass through those garage doors, maybe a Morris 8 would!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I was more intrigued by the sneaking views of your Georgian (I think) house, nice to see that it is generally original and unmolested 👍

I bet the Superb would not pass through those garage doors, maybe a Morris 8 would!

The last car that I managed to fit in that garage was a 1986 VW Polo Coupe.... Granted it had no wheels and it was turned on its side!

• Haha 3

This part of the thread is for whats up next, including photos, whats involved and a fair bit more

We are now moving into the wider territory (with some of the below) of very broad 'factory' retrofits and some of these youll see arent even options for the superb either for that model or that age.

Heated washer jets

Not a big retrofit and will probably make next to no difference, but this retrofit is as simple as 2 washer jet nozzles, 2 plugs, 4 terminals, a ground and a power wire to the BCM and only 1 adaptation change.

Heated steering wheel

I managed to source a steering wheel from sweden at a bargain price that matched the spec I wanted, After importing that and changing the airbag and clockspring assembly out, we then had to rewire the plug that goes into the clockspring, all well documented on other forums so no need to go into it too much. Most of the photos are above already but when the wiring is done, ill post more photos.

Ventilated front Sportline seats

Now this is where things start to get interesting, Ventilated seats were an option, but never ventilated sportline seats, and with the perforated fabric it looks perfect for the job. First it was near impossible to actually find a set of any ventilated seats for sale, let alone a set of stripped seats to see the internal workings. This means im working completely blind so i began doing some research to find out exactly how these work and what would be required. So the first part is the fan itself, you'd think these blow into the seat, but they actually suck out of the seat. 

So the fabric itself is perforated, below this is the heating element with all excess fabric removed, then the sponge has a lot of holes through it, below this is the spacer mesh which looks like a rigid spiders web, the last part is a sealed layer, the fan then pulls a vacuum through the entire seat.

This is controlled by a LIN channel to the BCM which is the easy part. The hard part will be modifying the seats. I now have all the required parts, now its just finding time to strip the seat down.

IMG_8967.thumb.JPEG.a48c423d368046afe71e61f648e22b45.JPEGCC2F9E9D-9137-480D-8260-1A4365F577D1.thumb.jpg.f59c9d76ded9dce1d13a1fef001939fc.jpgIMG_8968.thumb.JPEG.1b62e73e201c84a1ba68ca9b8473d0cc.JPEG

Door pocket ambient lights

Another fairly easy and straight forward retrofit, 4x lights 4K0919390A/B/E/F and 4x plugs 8K0973754, these simply link into the ambient door light strips and need a few adaptation changes to turn them on.

4pcs Genuine Led Door Light Illumination Lamp For Audi A6 C8 A7 Rs6 Rs7  2019-2022 4k0919390b 4k0919390f 4k0919390a 4k0919390e - Signal Lamp -  AliExpress

Wireless phone charger/booster

Most would call this a fairly pointless retrofit but my plan is to add the USB hub, fit wireless carplay to the centre console, then the front pocket will be free to charge my phone. Lots of people complain about overheating from inductive charging so a small idea I had was to T off the glovebox cold air feed, run a small 3mm silicone pipe to the back of the phonebox and connect it to a 180 degree irrigation nozzle to blow a very small amount of cold air into the cubby area. 

Now the actually charger and booster, although it looks fairly straightforward, the entire front cubby area gets changed, then a fakra cable is ran to the NSR corner of the car where the signal booster is, another fakra is then ran to the roof antenna which also needs changing. This all links into the infotainment system and the kessy system even.

IMG_8964.thumb.JPEG.0c63934d5ca7b526cd8e99f5ac2e6f41.JPEGIMG_8966.thumb.JPEG.5fdcc2c159399f3a6e48f04fdc65dcdd.JPEGimage.thumb.jpeg.942edcf2eb4d51767186f155773670c4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7a07cd7499df3f65fe090acd13f274ca.jpeg

USB Hub

The photos above and below show this quite well but this basically transforms your single front USB port into a USB port at the front, and in the centre glovebox - both Apple and android compatible too!

All thats needed is the USB hub and 2 low level USB ports (DONT use high spec ports) A very good guide is located here 

image.thumb.jpeg.7996c2fc668a90876f4f3056b435bd3d.jpeg

TV Tuner

Another fairly pointless retrofit, but having spent a lot of hours sitting in my car, the TV would be lovely! 

This is quite the retrofit and the process varies a fair bit between estate/hatchback.

The parts required are the tv tuner, 3 new antenna boosters, the trim panels and then the fun part of the wiring. Fakra cables need to be ran to both rear quarters and into the tailgate for all the new antennas, the new antennas dont always have wires to connect to the glass so this often needs to be soldered to the glass carefully! You also need a MOST cable but luckily I have the virtual cockpit so I can loop off of that.

IMG_8961.thumb.JPEG.1703f74b61cbf63e92da1fca713e2e00.JPEGIMG_8960.thumb.JPEG.89ae85f14dd1331f0151740bb58c94f1.JPEG

Webasto Parking Heater

I wish I had this one ready for winter already, but sadly not - this would serve 2 purposes - the cold winter mornings going to work, and also when we sleep in the car on long road trips to keep it warm without the engine running.

The parts involved in this are: External fuel pump, Fuel lines to front of car, Webasto unit, A whole bunch of coolant pipes, Remote control module, Remote control and then a whole bunch of wiring and plugs running all across the car!

This allows you to either set a timer or use the fob remote to turn on the heater from a fair distance away! It also allows the ability to ventilate the car on very hot days to drop the internal temperature. (I even went to the added detail of ordering the 2 stickers that the car would have left the factory with.)

IMG_8975.thumb.JPEG.b7946cd88424648ebc89bb50614a2cbf.JPEGIMG_8974.thumb.JPEG.75b7cbabf12573433ca2f6dfba61ca3f.JPEGIMG_8973.thumb.JPEG.1cab9262eff1f72704673d03cabd9b14.JPEGIMG_8972.thumb.JPEG.91ae1f6f675385814bb97e4f6ecf38bc.JPEGIMG_8979.thumb.JPEG.0042e0c50d0f0cda22f2db3c3b3377eb.JPEGIMG_8977.thumb.JPEG.88455ff86b92c326ea14ce795a2a2fc0.JPEGIMG_8976.thumb.JPEG.8bdd0208c1cf20cceb21c2714822db07.JPEG

Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC)

With two of my shock absorbers leaking - the smart thing to do would be to replace them at £100 each. But no, I decided to spend a huge sum of money on brand new genuine DCC shock absorbers. This isnt an easy task and the wiring required is absolutely massive! 4x new arch looms, 2x level sensors, 3x accelerometers, 1x control unit and all the wiring to go with it. Not to mention custom datasets for a few modules. Custom twisted pairs were required for this to match all the factory wiring perfectly.

As you can see from the photos - A LOT OF WIRING

IMG_8970.thumb.JPEG.dc0f335f4d8ccf19c26fc97d128b924b.JPEGIMG_8963.thumb.JPEG.397e1e409e71112ca32be1026c890aa3.JPEGIMG_8962.thumb.JPEG.463d552a80015606e8c21d988ca32a7a.JPEGIMG_8788.thumb.JPEG.e8dcac7a6ed8cddb02a2facc7ce4fef1.JPEGIMG_8787.thumb.JPEG.83c7e901b92377e445508d9d4acde9c8.JPEGIMG_8785.thumb.JPEG.2e3528bf7760b7b067127ea2cda2d793.JPEGIMG_8258.thumb.JPEG.06460cbf1450a14bb23e6b7c329097c9.JPEG

Areaview/Panoramic View/360

This one I think will ***** a lot of peoples ears up - Areaview was never an option for the pre facelift superb so a lot of parts dont fit, this means a fair bit of creativity is required.

4 cameras are added to the car, the rear camera is for 2019 onwards tailgates but luckily as I fitted the FL trim, I can fit the rear camera with no issues. 

The front camera on the facelift is in the grill, this is a problem on the pre-FL as we have a large radar there and it would interfere. After looking at how a lot of other cars do this, It seems that the pre-FL passat had theirs in the lower front grill, So with a bit of 3D modeling I am creating a bracket to secure the camera in the same place as a passat.

The next issue is the wing mirrors - a brand new mirror is £700 each side and there are no used parts available. So the next best thing, LHD versions. These are yet to turn up and i'm sure ill be bitten in the ass when the LHD cant be used in some way on RHD cars (I believe the unit sits at different angles) so may have to get creative.

Next is getting the HSD wires through the door into the car, many people just turn them into pins and use spare pin holes, but this isnt OE enough for me. So I purchased the correct door connectors and wiring from the FL which have a cut out for the HSD connector - these connectors are not standard so sadly I had no choice but to buy from Skoda. 

After I've made all the custom HSD cables and ran them into the car, next is where to mount the control unit, on the factory cars it is under the drivers seat (where my TV tuner lives) and even if not, it is only held in with a ugly piece of polystyrene, I plan to mount it under the TV tuner in a cut out, directly against the car body and held down by the TV tuner bracket. 

As more parts turn up, ill update this further.

IMG_8949.thumb.JPEG.f216621f7577125f10ee18de096a2e25.JPEGIMG_8948.thumb.JPEG.dd520a082f683e0effbeaa4b15743bff.JPEGIMG_8947.thumb.JPEG.0e193671b88825dff22c1293739d2040.JPEGIMG_8899.thumb.JPEG.202605fbb1be936313e0a347ad5aee05.JPEGIMG_8780.thumb.PNG.de5112eb2f9cb9204a96c0b5fa6fb093.PNG

Edited by ApertureS
  • Like 3

Amazing and inspiring.

Having spent several hours again tinkering with my Chinese diesel heater that original Webasto unit looks really really well engineered and is worth a lot of money I would bet.

thanks for the write-up and sharing the amazing mission impossible work u've done to ur Superb!!!

the Area-360 has my attention, but the complexity of all is not something i'm keen on tackling myself, so i'll just leave that on my "ur dreaming" list.

i have however keen on how u go with the additional USB ports retrofit.  i've researched on this a few years back, and i think i have a good understanding - i just haven't prioritised this retrofit as its not critical.

if u do get around to doing it, i'd like to know the details, so i can then pull my finger out and actually do it.

good luck with the rest of the stuff.

• Like 1

Amazing amount of work and love gone into your car. Keep up the good work. 

just a question. What rear discs are these?  And any reason why you didn’t put black discs on the fronts also?

I do like the look of the black. But I’m biased as I have a red Sportline with black rims. 

1 hour ago, Donweather said:

Amazing amount of work and love gone into your car. Keep up the good work. 

just a question. What rear discs are these?  And any reason why you didn’t put black discs on the fronts also?

I do like the look of the black. But I’m biased as I have a red Sportline with black rims. 

The black is just a coating and it wears off, they are mtec discs :) 

6 hours ago, Danoid said:

I have to ask, would it have been cheaper just to sell your car and get a new one fully loaded? 😁

At this point probably, but I’m well underway now!

the only thing I wish I started with was a sportline 280 estate with a sunroof - as retrofitting the pano roof and 4wd system is a pain in the ass (but not impossible)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, coppertop said:

Waiting for the Webasto Parking Heater chapter, if you can sort this before the end of January it would be appreciated 😀

Wont be going in before January, gonna wait for the weather to warm slightly!

What questions did you have and I’ll do my best to answer them for you?

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

No questions in particular, just interested as I have always thought it would be an excellent addition to my car. Are you going to prepare a ‘How to” guide? Only issue is the cost!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

Step by step for non competents like me would be amazing

11 hours ago, coppertop said:

No questions in particular, just interested as I have always thought it would be an excellent addition to my car. Are you going to prepare a ‘How to” guide? Only issue is the cost!

11 hours ago, Danoid said:

Step by step for non competents like me would be amazing

I will do my best!

im sure people will want step by step guides for webasto, areaview and DCC.

Although for all 3 of these retrofits even with second hand parts, you’ll be spending £1000 or more on parts alone.

Not the lightest retrofit to carry out 😛 

It's a real pity that Skoda don't offer the Webasto auxiliary heater as an option in UK. I wanted one when I was ordering the Octavia, but was advised only available on Scandinavian orders. 😒

That is some amazing amount of work, fair play 🙂 Of all the upgrades so far, are there any that aren’t worth it? And which are must haves if you change car? 

13 hours ago, ShaneCo said:

That is some amazing amount of work, fair play 🙂 Of all the upgrades so far, are there any that aren’t worth it? And which are must haves if you change car? 

I personally love the lane assist and adaptive cruise control.

i also really enjoy the canton sound system as I really like my music.

Electric tailgate with easy open comes in handy all the time when my hands are full too.

and the heated windscreen and seats is used so much in the winter! No need to scrape anything, just sit in the warm car.

Edited by ApertureS

2 hours ago, ApertureS said:

the heated windscreen and seats is used so much in the winter! No need to scrape anything, just sit in the warm car.

How does a heated windscreen clear side glasses?