New VRS TDi

Arrrghhh, (as it's international speak like a pirate day) here be my gutless petrol mk2 vRS, she be in 3rd gear on a private spit o' land and she be floored from 30mph to 6k rpm afore ye road was to run out .....

avast ye swabs clicky here

It's all very well playing Red Hot Chili Peppers at full volume but I'd be more concerned about the traction control being lit up throughout that acceleration demonstration.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all very well playing Red Hot Chili Peppers at full volume but I'd be more concerned about the traction control being lit up throughout that acceleration demonstration.

Too right - don't wanna wear out the bulb by switching the ESP off ;)

Chris

Auto express ran a test between a 170 diesel and a 200bhp TFSI. The petrol car had the edge on acceleration throughout the test (particularly between 50-70mph) which was surprising. The petrol car was more progressive and averaged a reasonable 30mpg. In the test the diesel only managed 35mpg IIRC. Add the fact that the petrol car is cheaper and it's a no brainer imo.

I couldn't have held out for the lauch of the 170vRS and went for the 140 but to be honest i'm glad as all the reports say that 'in gear' there's very little between the 140 & 170. From a driveability point of view the 140 does better too because although it's peaky, the 170 is apparently a lot worse. That means you need to concentrate more to get the best out of it and it's harder to keep fuel economy up.

That being said the 170 uses quieter injectors and if i'm honest I wouldn't say no to one.

Auto express ran a test between a 170 diesel and a 200bhp TFSI. The petrol car had the edge on acceleration throughout the test (particularly between 50-70mph) which was surprising. The petrol car was more progressive and averaged a reasonable 30mpg. In the test the diesel only managed 35mpg IIRC. Add the fact that the petrol car is cheaper and it's a no brainer imo.

I couldn't have held out for the lauch of the 170vRS and went for the 140 but to be honest i'm glad as all the reports say that 'in gear' there's very little between the 140 & 170. From a driveability point of view the 140 does better too because although it's peaky, the 170 is apparently a lot worse. That means you need to concentrate more to get the best out of it and it's harder to keep fuel economy up.

That being said the 170 uses quieter injectors and if i'm honest I wouldn't say no to one.

Is it just me or when people drive the Petrol (who aren't buying one) sound not impressed...but when they test drive the diesel is wow, surely the figures speak for themselves ? To be honest I have a Petrol and the mines quicker than yours doen't really bother me, as those who know me will agree with (std Mk1 & mk2).

I'm not starting an arguement but just making an "observation".

Btw I haven't drove the diesel yet and could well be saying wow then but can there really be that much of a difference ?:)

his TC light was on because he had turned it off :rolleyes:

At least two of the old sweat's spotted that. ESP is off all the time unless there is bad weather tbh. Just seems a bit to sensitive in the Octy at times.

Is it just me or when people drive the Petrol (who aren't buying one) sound not impressed...but when they test drive the diesel is wow, surely the figures speak for themselves ? To be honest I have a Petrol and the mines quicker than yours doen't really bother me, as those who know me will agree with (std Mk1 & mk2).

I'm not starting an arguement but just making an "observation".

Btw I haven't drove the diesel yet and could well be saying wow then but can there really be that much of a difference ?:)

From experience of my old remapped Furby, the initial grunt may well make the Diesel "feel" faster, but the fact that you can run an extra 2 - 3k RPM in the petrol and the power will be coming on stronger and stronger.

Like some have said, the company car market is where the D-vRS (see what I did there?) may well find it's niche, I dabbled with diesel with the furby and it was not for me, what would concern me about the D-vRS is the quoted MPG figures being banded about. If someone did the maths, it may not seem like such a good deal to anyone other than company car drivers, or the hardcore diesel heads.

Each to their own, life would be boring if we all liked the same things though eh?

The diesel feels faster due to a ridiculous power spike. My mapped Fabia drives better, is more fun, and is better on fuel. It would also leave the new octy vrs oil burner for dead, in any scenario, except maybe 4 adults and luggage to the airport. Might struggle with that.

Another comparison for you to mull over.

Standard octavia feels slow, because it's quiter, and smooth, very very smooth power delivery. I own the petrol one, and have driven the diesel one. I love diesels, so I'm not biased toward petrol in any way, but I fail to see any enjoyment in a Diesel VRS Octavia, whatsoever. Looking exactly like a 200bhp petrol wont help either, not when Saxo boy smokes you from the lights. Even 2.0 Fabia man would kick its big noisy heavy ***.

Just my opinion of course, but based closely on facts.

Guest Fabia 12v
How would the 2.0 Fabia, with a 0-60 time of 9.9 seconds, beat the PD VRS with a 0-60 time of 8.5?

because its a 2.0 fabia.. ask no more questions ;)

The diesel feels faster due to a ridiculous power spike. My mapped Fabia drives better, is more fun, and is better on fuel. It would also leave the new octy vrs oil burner for dead, in any scenario, except maybe 4 adults and luggage to the airport. Might struggle with that.

Another comparison for you to mull over.

Standard octavia feels slow, because it's quiter, and smooth, very very smooth power delivery. I own the petrol one, and have driven the diesel one. I love diesels, so I'm not biased toward petrol in any way, but I fail to see any enjoyment in a Diesel VRS Octavia, whatsoever. Looking exactly like a 200bhp petrol wont help either, not when Saxo boy smokes you from the lights. Even 2.0 Fabia man would kick its big noisy heavy ***.

Just my opinion of course, but based closely on facts.

I agree with most of this except the Saxo boy comment. My 140 TDI when driven correctly is quicker than the official 9.6sec 0-60 suggests. I've timed it in numerous ways and 8.5sec 0-60 is definately closer to the mark. Even at that I was getting more wheelspin at take off than I would have liked. ESP is quick to kick in but not quick enough sometimes. A bit more practice required I think. IMO the acceleration is so good because the 16v engine is very free reving so it gets up into the maximum torque range a lot quicker than the older 8v lumps.

I think i'll be booking a test drive of the new TDI vRS all the same just to see what all the fuss is about.

I agree with most of this except the Saxo boy comment. My 140 TDI when driven correctly is quicker than the official 9.6sec 0-60 suggests.

A standard Saxo VTS is booked at 7.5 seconds to 60. that will leave yours, and a Diesel vrs quite firmly behind I believe. ;)

A standard Saxo VTS is booked at 7.5 seconds to 60. that will leave yours, and a Diesel vrs quite firmly behind I believe. ;)

Fair point. Should have done my homework but I doubt Saxo boy can afford to ensure a VTS. More like Saxo man. :rofl: Isn't the VTS the 120bhp biscuit tin with wheels though? The 2.0TFSI reaches 60 only 0.2 secs faster than that. Ok ok the vRS is officially 0-62 in 7.3 secs but you get what i mean. It's very close.

Fair point. Should have done my homework but I doubt Saxo boy can afford to ensure a VTS. More like Saxo man. :rofl: Isn't the VTS the 120bhp biscuit tin with wheels though? The 2.0TFSI reaches 60 only 0.2 secs faster than that. Ok ok the vRS is officially 0-62 in 7.3 secs but you get what i mean. It's very close.

It is close, and yes, it's an old biscuit tin :D

From experience of my old remapped Furby, the initial grunt may well make the Diesel "feel" faster, but the fact that you can run an extra 2 - 3k RPM in the petrol and the power will be coming on stronger and stronger.

Like some have said, the company car market is where the D-vRS (see what I did there?) may well find it's niche, I dabbled with diesel with the furby and it was not for me, what would concern me about the D-vRS is the quoted MPG figures being banded about. If someone did the maths, it may not seem like such a good deal to anyone other than company car drivers, or the hardcore diesel heads.

Each to their own, life would be boring if we all liked the same things though eh?

One aspect of diesel -v- petrol debate not menitoned so far is gear ratios. Doing a lot of M/way driving I really appreciate the relaxed cruising in a turbodiesel. Haven't seen the mph per 1,000 figures yet, but I bet that at 80mph the FSI is revving at 3.5 to 4K whereas the TDI will be ticking over at 2 to 2.5K - much easier on the ears. Know which I'd prefer on a long M/way journey...

One aspect of diesel -v- petrol debate not menitoned so far is gear ratios. Doing a lot of M/way driving I really appreciate the relaxed cruising in a turbodiesel. Haven't seen the mph per 1,000 figures yet, but I bet that at 80mph the FSI is revving at 3.5 to 4K whereas the TDI will be ticking over at 2 to 2.5K - much easier on the ears. Know which I'd prefer on a long M/way journey...

The petrol FSI Turbo does 80mph at 3,000rpm - hardly ear bashing and not much more than the 2,000 - 2,500rpm that the diesel probably requires. Besides, there are more aspects to 'relaxed cruising' than engine noise alone and since they are effectively the same car the actual differences will be minimal.

Fair point. Should have done my homework but I doubt Saxo boy can afford to ensure a VTS. More like Saxo man. :rofl:

I thought Citroen offered free insurance on the whole Saxo range which was why they became so popular with the boy-racer brigade? :D

Chris

The petrol FSI Turbo does 80mph at 3,000rpm - hardly ear bashing and not much more than the 2,000 - 2,500rpm that the diesel probably requires.

I would also hazard that a petrol at 3krpm is much easier on the ears than a diesel at 2-2.5krpm! :rofl:

Chris

Interesting thread, if we end up being a two Skoda family the diesel vrs would be a strong contender, mostly because Mr P has always had diesels. He has said to me in the past 'when is the diesel version available?' I think this could be an automatic reaction if you have always had them. I will show him this thread and try to get hold of the auto express test between the petrol and the diesel so that he can broaden his choice by seeing that the petrol should be worthy of consideration too.

It also means it would be cheaper because of all the mk1's available ;)

Does anyone know if auto express send out back copies?

:bs:

I totally agree with you here....if the 200bhp vRS is at all gutless (implying it performs poorly in comparison to the 170bhp taka-chine), then a 535D flies compared to the M5. Heavier engine, less power...hmm..I think not.

I'm waiting to see new-coming threads where Octi vRS 200bhp petrol drivers and Octi wannabe-vRS 170bhp diesel drivers start flogging the forums with 'my peepee is bigger than yours' threads soon...

I love petrol and hate diesel.

However, I have a slight quandry......

I do 50-60,000 miles a year. For me, a petrol car isn't really a viable option, I know, I had a mildly modded ;) mk1 Octy and I saw the fuel bills for that.

I'll probably keep the current SDI for day to day and commuting and buy a nutter wagon with the money I wa going to replace it with. Can't bear the thought of another diesel car unfortunately but needs must.....

At least two of the old sweat's spotted that. ESP is off all the time unless there is bad weather tbh. Just seems a bit to sensitive in the Octy at times.

i'd leave it on at all times except when launching etc myself as i do. i would be zooming about in my transit if it had ESP :(