New VRS TDi

Well, I have had this car now since the 4th of September, what a car! I had a Yellow 180HP VRS a few years ago and moved to the dark side (Diesel), a 2.5TDi Superb, then a 1.9TDi Superb, only to maximize the tax return!

This new 170HP Octavia flies, I doubt very much if my old VRS would have touched it, once you are on the move that is, I did test drive the 200HP petrol version, and to be quite honest it seemed gutless, I bought this model without a test drive and I am not disapointed, but getting it insured was a nightmare! As its not released until 23rd Sept, my insurance company (Esure) would not touch it! Tesco, Direct Line and Skoda insurance were all ok.

Don't knock it, just try one, they cost a lot, but go like hell, in all gears.

Cheers,

Dibbley:)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well' date=' I have had this car now since the 4th of September, what a car! I had a Yellow 180HP VRS a few years ago and moved to the dark side (Diesel), a 2.5TDi Superb, then a 1.9TDi Superb, only to maximize the tax return!

This new 170HP Octavia flies, I doubt very much if my old VRS would have touched it, once you are on the move that is, I did test drive the 200HP petrol version, and to be quite honest it seemed gutless, I bought this model without a test drive and I am not disapointed, but getting it insured was a nightmare! As its not released until 23rd Sept, my insurance company (Esure) would not touch it! Tesco, Direct Line and Skoda insurance were all ok.

Don't knock it, just try one, they cost a lot, but go like hell, in all gears.

Cheers,

Dibbley:)[/quote']

Just as a matter of interest, how come your dealer managed to get one for you before its official release date?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sorry for the delayed response, I have been on holiday.

I just walked in, took a petrol VRS for a test drive, on my own!!

I was not impressed, I was then informed a new 170hp diesel version was due out, so I bought it! It had to be better than the gutless petrol version, and it is! It was the dealers demo version, so it arrived on Friday the 8th and I picked it up on Saturday the 9th. Yes I believe it is the first, and it cost about

And here starts the 4 year debate over which is better - Octavia Petrol VRS, or Octavia Diesel VRS. :rolleyes:

Glad you like it, but I wouldn't describe the petrol variant as "gutless". In my opinion, I would describe the diesel version as disappointing. Each to thier own.

Having driven the 2.0TFsi I certainly would not say it was Gutless, however swapping from a diesel to a petrol you would obviously notice a difference in the way the power is delivered. Each to there own. As Shifty said we will see the usual banter which colour / which model / etc

this is going to be worse than Fabia vRS vs Octavia vRS.

Whats worse is you can't tell them apart!!!

I don't think it is. The Octavia owners will not care.

The Fabia vRS v Octavia vRS was mainly by Fabia owners thinking the car was more special than it was.

Sorry Lads and Ladies, no black smoke!!

Its fitted with the latest particle filter in the exhaust, so when you drop two gears in your petrol Vrs to keep up with one that stays in 6th there will be no sign from the exhaust.

I am not knocking the petrol Vrs, its just the diesel does more without having to work the gears so much. They are both great cars, its just I think the 6th gear in the petrol version has taken some of the edge off it. The 1.8 Vrs thrived on five gears, third was an absolute hoot!!!

Be interesting to compare them out on the road. I reckon the diesel will FEEL faster but the petrol will BE faster. My brothers got a supercharged mx5 1.6 which puts out 186bhp. It feels guttless to drive compared to my Fabia but out on the road he kicks my **** and just pulls away but you just dont get that feeling like your accelerating in it even though you are actually accelerating pretty fast.

Arrrghhh, (as it's international speak like a pirate day) here be my gutless petrol mk2 vRS, she be in 3rd gear on a private spit o' land and she be floored from 30mph to 6k rpm afore ye road was to run out .....

avast ye swabs clicky here

Hi Sorry for the delayed response, I have been on holiday.

I just walked in, took a petrol VRS for a test drive, on my own!!

I was not impressed, I was then informed a new 170hp diesel version was due out, so I bought it! It had to be better than the gutless petrol version, and it is! It was the dealers demo version, so it arrived on Friday the 8th and I picked it up on Saturday the 9th. Yes I believe it is the first, and it cost about