Columbus firmware upgrade

I'm not dismissing 3rd party POI's, especially if knowing where all the latest speed cameras are is important to you, and I know they work on 4120 (just not off the map disc), it's just not something I need to worry about.

Oh ok, fair enough. But poi's do work on 4120. And the camera databases on poiplaza are updated every 3-4 months, you're missing out! ;-)

The camera POIs i use on PGPSW are updated every week. ;)

Dare I raise my head above the parapet and question the need for speed cameras on your sat nav?

I drive the speed limit 99% of the time. I always pay attention when driving, but here in Belgium it's very easy to miss a 90kph => 70kph sign, and drive past a camera thinking you're ok. I like to avoid that.

• Like 1

I'm no angel. I've been caught speeding in the past by failing to see signs. But it has helped change my driving habits!

I wanted the POI database to get location information other than the speed cameras. Since the two come together, I have them both.

As the Columbus does not make any audible warning, you'd have to be looking at the display a little to often IMO for it to be of use. The speed limit display is the same really.

As i think i've mentioned before i use the PGPSW cameras and when required i also use the PGPSW CamerAlert app which then gives audible alerts via the phones bluetooth connection with the Columbus so giving the visual and audible alaerts for approaching camera sites.

• Like 1

Well, been reading around about the unstopable restarting of the columbus unit on the superb II, im trying to rewrite the firmware and i get the 30% progress and 56min remaining and gets to 42% and shows me a swl error while it pops out the disk, seen this problem somewhere on the forum but got lost in topics. Dunno what to do, im going to burn various versions and try.

Any quick ideas from the guys with history in this matter.

Thank you in advance.

Great way to spend the new year's eve. Lol.

Happy New Year btw.

I tore my hair out for a month by burning DL disks at various speeds but still got the infinite loop install.

Then I tried a burner inside my IMac instead of third party USB burner and success.

Try different mates's computers to burn disk.

I personally think it's down to quality of disk drives.

Used the diskutility on mac to burn at 8x speed on a regular cd and managed to install 3814, columbus is alive, sees the 32gb sd aswell :D all I need is to sort out a new version of maps, i have v3 europe west at the moment, searched to buy newer online but didn't find :(

Also I have a dilemma about the bluetooth module, I think is the old version aswell like 1.0 or something, anyone here done like a software upgrade to it or I need to replace the whole module? Works only with old nokia's, my xperia z2 is "phone not compatible" :( if to replace it, can anyone tell me where it is?

Superb 2 Elegance 170 CR 4x4 2009. Thanks in advance !!!

Under the driver's seat.

You can't do a software upgrade to the BT, you'll need newer hardware if you want greater compatibility.

Upgrading the Columbus firmware won't effect the BT module / operation.

• Like 1

Under the driver's seat.

You can't do a software upgrade to the BT, you'll need newer hardware if you want greater compatibility.

Upgrading the Columbus firmware won't effect the BT module / operation.

Agreed on this. I had the same issue on my 58 Superb with my work blackberry.

I bought a new box that replaced the factory fitted version below the seat. It should be plug and play but I lost voice command activation from the steering wheel when I fitted it. I agree that you should be able to reflash the Bluetooth module to uplift the firmware but I don't think anyone has tried this.

I bought mine on ebay but just switched phone to a fruit based device and I am back to square one so will either get another box or a Bluetooth headset. I believe a new box is about £150 from ebay.

Paul

Yeah, quite expensive from my point of view, I use it with an old nokia (backup phone) don't realy need it to be honest, so I won't invest in that :), would be nice to update the firmware from 1.0 to 3.0 :)) but.. thanks guys for the info !

Also I have a dilemma about the bluetooth module, I think is the old version aswell like 1.0 or something, anyone here done like a software upgrade to it or I need to replace the whole module? Works only with old nokia's, my xperia z2 is "phone not compatible" :( if to replace it, can anyone tell me where it is?

Superb 2 Elegance 170 CR 4x4 2009. Thanks in advance !!!

When your old Nokia connected did the signal drop out on the phone?

If so then you have an rSAP only Bluetooth module. You can get the Sony phones to work with it but it does require rooting the phone and installing an app (paid app) from the play store.

My Xperia Z works perfect with my Bluetooth showing texts etc on the maxidot. There is also an add-on (free) for the app that copies the txts to your phone so they're not stuck on the car.

Phil

• Like 1

When you swap to a new module, there is a need to recode the module and disable voice command, then you can get back the voice command on the Columbus.

For those without ad2p originally, there's also a need to run 2 more wire, otherwise music is to one side only

When your old Nokia connected did the signal drop out on the phone?

If so then you have an rSAP only Bluetooth module. You can get the Sony phones to work with it but it does require rooting the phone and installing an app (paid app) from the play store.

My Xperia Z works perfect with my Bluetooth showing texts etc on the maxidot. There is also an add-on (free) for the app that copies the txts to your phone so they're not stuck on the car.

Phil

Hey man,

Cheers for the info about that. Can you tell me what app i need to buy in order to root my xperia like yours ?:)

Right, found the app on playstore, didn't bought it, but took the trial version, been reading about some rooting of the phone, but I don't seem to find a "howto" , anyone knows and desires to share that info?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome everyone,
Right now Im having version:

Skoda Superb (2011) Columbus
HW-Version H71
Sw-Version 4120

Map version HDD 7918

Can I update latest maps v12???If not whats the latest maps I can load...?

I hope someone can advice plz.