Road Tax CO2 Banding

Hi all, I'm due to collect my brand new VRS Tdi manual estate this Saturday and I received a very interesting phone call from the dealership. I don't want to name the dealership but I will say they have been up front and honest and I got a good deal too.

I have been informed that the road tax bandings may be amended for my new car (presumably the entire vrs Diesel range) due to an error from the independent test house/organisation who measure the CO2 levels for road tax banding. I think there may be other variants and models affected but not sure which ones. I have been told that this issue is not the same as the VW defeat device scandal. This is due to be confirmed this coming Monday whether or not the emission figure will change and hence the road tax for my vehicle will go up from £30/year to £110/year. It appears Skoda are going to take the hit and pay for any increase in annual road tax for the entire duration of my ownership-this apparently will only cover the first owner/keeper of the vehicle. I was contacted prior to the dealership registering the vehicle in my name-I am going to keep the vehicle-I've waited 13/14 weeks for it and can't wait to get it! I have been asked (not compulsory) to sign to say that I have had the above explained to me. What is interesting is that this issue may affect residual values of this vehicle going forward, again, the dealership admitted this. Another point is that I am lead to believe that because I am about to collect my vehicle right before a decision is made, I have been placed in a difficult position hence why I have been contacted and that Skoda will cover any road tax increase for the entirety of my ownership of the vehicle. I believe after Monday, if indeed the tax bands are amended then the brochures/figures will be advertised and hence any new customer will have the choice to buy that vehicle with the associated road tax rather than it being forced upon them. Watch this space. If I hear any more on Saturday I shall update this topic.

There's been a November update to the brochure and now every page says "Our CO2 and consumption values are provisional and are currently under review. Revised values will be published if necessary."

I wonder how far back this goes. Might it affect all MY16 cars? This sounds like a slightly different issue to what happened in the summer when it was reported here that the V5 for some new cars had a different CO2 figure to the brochure.

I haven't noticed any other changes in the brochure except that they've finally removed a reference to the 4 spoke steering wheel in the SE L that hasn't been available since May. Isn't it about time that any changes for MY16.5 were announce?

Edited by Rodge

I thought this might be useful . I received this yesterday. Sorry if its the wrong thread.

Last week you will have seen a press statement from Volkswagen AG notifying that potential irregularities may exist in published CO2 and consumption values. Volkswagen Group is working at full speed to provide clarification of the issue.  Please accept our sincere apologies for the situation.

This issue is unrelated to the NOx emissions testing issue.

We would like to advise you that effective immediately ŠKODA have added a disclaimer to our website which reads as follows:

‘Our current C02 and consumption values are provisional and are currently under review.   Revised values will be published if necessary’

I can clarify that Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is not impacted by the CO2 issue.

The specific models and engine ranges affected are attached to this communication.

Please be aware this is not a technical issue so there is no technical remedy, the irregularities relate to the certification process for CO2 and therefore consumption. We would like to assure you that all affected vehicles remain technically safe and roadworthy in relation to this issue. 

To the extent that CO2 values and fuel consumption are relevant for the purposes of tax, this increase might affect the amount of tax that is payable.  We want to make clear to you that the Volkswagen Group has informed relevant government authorities of this issue and intends to settle those potential additional taxes.

Volkswagen Group very much regrets the current situation and is doing everything possible to provide a full clarification as soon as possible.   Whilst this is ongoing we are asking customers to sign the attached letter either on order or before taking delivery of their affected new or used vehicles.  This will be done through retailers for the brands affected to ensure that customers are informed of these irregularities.

In the meantime, we wish to thank you for your patience and will contact you again as soon as we have further information.

Yours sincerely,

PatrickMcGillycuddy.gif
Patrick McGillycuddy
Head of Fleet

Customer letter at point of handover, on Dealer letterhead

[iNSERT CUSTOMER FULL NAME]

[iNSERT CUSTOMER ADDRESS]

[iNSERT CUSTOMER POSTCODE]

[iNSERT VEHICLE MODEL]

[iNSERT VEHICLE REG NUMBER – IF HAVE ONE]

[iNSERT VEHICLE VIN NUMBER – IF HAVE ONE]

[iNSERT DATE]

Dear [iNSERT CUSTOMER TITLE & SURNAME]

On behalf of Volkswagen Group UK Ltd and [iNSERT DEALER NAME] we want to be open and transparent with you concerning a potential increase to the published CO2 emissions and fuel consumption figures in the brochure and marketing materials you may have seen for the brand and model you are interested in buying.  Please accept our sincere apologies for this situation.

As discussed with the Sales team, the standardised CO2 and consumption values for this model are currently under review and may change.  We want to make it clear to you that it may be necessary to publish revised, and potentially increased, values in the near future.

To the extent that CO2 values and fuel consumption are relevant for the purposes of tax, this increase might affect the amount of tax that is payable.  We want to make clear to you that the Volkswagen Group has informed the relevant Government authorities of this issue and intends to settle those potential additional taxes.

The Volkswagen Group will contact you with further information if your vehicle is affected as soon as more detail is available.

We would like to assure you that all affected vehicles, including yours, remain technically safe and roadworthy in relation to this issue.  Further, the affected vehicles have been approved by independent approval authorities and can continue to be used on the road without any restrictions.

Yours sincerely,

[iNSERT HEAD OF BUSINESS / DEALER PRINCIPLE NAME]

Customer signature to confirm receipt of letter __________________________________

[iNSERT CUSTMER NAME]                                      [DATE]

ŠKODA: Vehicles Affected by CO2 Irregularities

Model

Engine Description

Power (PS)

Transmission

Fabia

1.4 TDI

Manual

Fabia

1.4 TDI

DSG

Fabia

1.4 TDI

Manual

Fabia Estate

1.4 TDI

Manual

Fabia Estate

1.4 TDI

DSG

Fabia Estate

1.4 TDI

Manual

Rapid

1.4 TDI

Manual

Rapid

1.4 TDI

DSG

Rapid Spaceback

1.4 TDI

Manual

Rapid Spaceback

1.4 TDI

DSG

Octavia Hatch

1.6 TDI

Manual

Octavia Hatch

1.6 TDI

DSG

Octavia Estate

1.6 TDI

Manual

Octavia Estate

1.6 TDI

DSG

Yeti

2.0 TDI

Manual

Octavia Hatch

2.0 TDI

Manual

Octavia Hatch

2.0 TDI

DSG

Octavia Estate

2.0 TDI

Manual

Octavia Estate

2.0 TDI

DSG

Superb Hatch

1.4 ACT

Manual

Superb Hatch

1.4 ACT

DSG

Superb Estate

1.4 ACT

Manual

Superb Estate

1.4 ACT

DSG

I thought I read early on in this matter that already purchased cars would not have their tax band altered.

That was when only the NOx figures were thought to have been wrong, and they don't affect CO2 anyway. More recently VW have noticed they have been lying about CO2 as well.

For cars that have already been registered there isn't any way of amending the official CO2 figure they were issued anyway, so those of us with cars a year or so old aren't going to be affected.

Those who have ordered cars but not yet had them delivered will presumably get the new correct but higher figures.

For the first owner, if they cover the extra cost, great, but it is definitely going to affect residual values as buyers would prefer to pay £30 rather than £110.

It will be interesting to see if they cover the extra cost for company car drivers - if you are a higher rate tax payer and have a fuel card as well as a car, each extra 5g of CO2 can cost you £200 a year in BIK.

If it does affect cars already registered vw/skoda are going to have alot of unhappy owners who will look at legal action over mis selling/ misleading people into buying cars, the low tax was one of the main reasons i bought the car

That was when only the NOx figures were thought to have been wrong, and they don't affect CO2 anyway. More recently VW have noticed they have been lying about CO2 as well.

For cars that have already been registered there isn't any way of amending the official CO2 figure they were issued anyway, so those of us with cars a year or so old aren't going to be affected.

Those who have ordered cars but not yet had them delivered will presumably get the new correct but higher figures.

For the first owner, if they cover the extra cost, great, but it is definitely going to affect residual values as buyers would prefer to pay £30 rather than £110.

It will be interesting to see if they cover the extra cost for company car drivers - if you are a higher rate tax payer and have a fuel card as well as a car, each extra 5g of CO2 can cost you £200 a year in BIK.

For company car drivers I think they will have to do something. Otherwise there will be solicitor letters on the door mat of Skoda UK. Mine will be the first !

I've just been caught by a change (maybe another rise imminent again?) in CO2 on my Leon (ST, with the 1.4 ACT); between ordering and delivery the CO2 figure has gone up from 109g to 111g - Fleet company said one figure (111g), yet Seat assured me it was 109g.  P11D figures are about to go in to the tax man based on 111g (which is now shown in the brochure, but not on the website) which means I have the pleasure of paying another £100 a year for the next 3 years, so will be interested to see what happens here..

EDIT: beaten by skodafang.  I don't have a fuel card, but have already had one rise - I hope there isn't another otherwise I'll be throwing the keys back to the lease company!

Edited by philhoward

If it does affect cars already registered vw/skoda are going to have alot of unhappy owners who will look at legal action over mis selling/ misleading people into buying cars, the low tax was one of the main reasons i bought the car

As said, I think it cannot affect cars already in use.

I was pleased when I got the 1.4 TSi to be told road tax was £110 instead of the £225 for my 1.8 TSi,

but delighted to find that the £110 figure was incorrect and the tax is £30 a year!

Edited by ednmra
  • Like 1

I have a similar but maybe unrelated problem with the tax band on my Scout 184 DSG I bought the car a 4 month old ex Skoda management car with 5000 mile on it. the car was registered in June 15, as far as I was concerned the car produced 129gm/km. When I received my V5, it showed the emissions as 134gm/km which put the car in the next band up from£110 to £130.

I have queried the CO2 levels with the dealer, they tell me it should be 129.

I have contacted Skoda, the person dealing with my query stated the emissions were listed on the label in the boot, I advised him no and even sent a foto of the label. I have now been advised I need to get the dealer to write to RS & G, so they can check the spec on my car and reply back to the dealer. The dealer then has to send off my V5 to DVLA with the letter from RS & G and DVLA will return the V5 showing the corrected emissions value.

This seems to be rather long winded, the dealer is asking why they have to do it, bearing in mind they did not register the car in the first place.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the change in emissons happens without problems!

Is it me, or are they also admitting to having incorrect fuel consumption figures as well?

We all know the official tests are a joke and the figures are unachievable, but at least it is supposedly a level playing field and all manufacturers are running the same tests giving the same made up numbers, so you can at least compare like for like.

If the fuel consumption figures change then there will be a huge backlash, potentially opening the door to people just handing cars back as being mis-sold.

I have a similar but maybe unrelated problem with the tax band on my Scout 184 DSG I bought the car a 4 month old ex Skoda management car with 5000 mile on it. the car was registered in June 15, as far as I was concerned the car produced 129gm/km. When I received my V5, it showed the emissions as 134gm/km which put the car in the next band up from£110 to £130.

I have queried the CO2 levels with the dealer, they tell me it should be 129.

I have contacted Skoda, the person dealing with my query stated the emissions were listed on the label in the boot, I advised him no and even sent a foto of the label. I have now been advised I need to get the dealer to write to RS & G, so they can check the spec on my car and reply back to the dealer. The dealer then has to send off my V5 to DVLA with the letter from RS & G and DVLA will return the V5 showing the corrected emissions value.

This seems to be rather long winded, the dealer is asking why they have to do it, bearing in mind they did not register the car in the first place.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the change in emissons happens without problems!

R22JGB

I think you will find that that the CO2 emissions on the Scout 184 DSG were listed as 134 gm/km for MY15, it only reduced to 129 gm/km for MY16 vehicles

Please see attached image taken from MY15 brochure

post-124231-0-86277800-1447517677_thumb.png

Edited by Williami33

Williami33

Thank you for that info. I must admit to being disappointed that neither the Dealer nor more importantly Skoda UK are not aware of the info in the brochure you quoted.

The dealer has asked me if my car came with a spare wheel, they think the weight of the wheel, Jack etc has an effect on the emissions.

It would be interesting to find out what has been done different on the 2016 cars to the 2015 cars to lower the CO2 emissions.

According to my brochure (Nov 2014) the manual Scout is 129 and the DSG 134.

The plot thickens!!

ScoutingAround I see you have a Scout 184 DSG, is yours a MY2015 car and can you confirm the CO2 emissions on your V5 please?

Williami33 is your car a 184 DSG & a MY2015 car? Can you confirm the emissions on your V5 please?

I've just collected my vrs Tdi estate today and not really been told anything different on the co2 issue-official decision/ news sounds like it's going to be Monday. Love my car by the way!!

From how I understand it, this is not Skoda's fault, it sounds like it is the test house's fault but I guess this should be clarified on Monday.

By the way, whilst waiting for paperwork to be sorted etc., the salesmen let me take one of their petrol vrs 230 dsg hatchbacks out for a spin-what a car!! Was absolutely rapid and that dsg gearbox mated with the petrol engine was great! It pulled and sounded so good. Made me think for my next one in a few years!

As said, I think it cannot affect cars already in use.

I was pleased when I got the 1.4 TSi to be told road tax was £110 instead of the £225 for my 1.8 TSi,

but delighted to find that the £110 figure was incorrect and the tax is £30 a year!

Hi,

Are you sure the 1.4tsi is £30 and not £110.

I have a My15 1.4 tsi se that has just had its first tax renewal. Like ednmra, I was expecting £110, but it's definitely £30.

Exactly the same as mine, manual 1.4 TSi SE hatch, October 2014 reg.  I queried the tax band with DVLA and got an email reply confirming £30, which I paid on line last month. No problems.