Everything posted by Gabbo
-
Columbus Map Update problem
That would make sense because the file structure is different than than MIB1/MIB2 downloads. There's usually 2 root folders & 1 file. - MIB1 - MIB2 .Textfile (can't remember the name)
-
Columbus Map Update problem
Try to format the USB stick as FAT32 & then copy the 2 folders from the zip file to it... If that doesn't work, try to format it as NTFS and try again. I can't remember which one worked with my MIB1
-
Columbus Map Update problem
Can you post an image of the file structure on the USB drive? If it can't find the update it's usually not copied to the usb drive in the correct way or the usb drive is formatted in the wrong way. My old Octavia MIB1 would only accept FAT32 drives. I remember reading somewhere that there was a corrupt download on the Skoda website (15Gb instead of 24Gb)... I usually use a usb harddrive instead of the usb key as it's a bit faster that way...
-
tyre repair kit
Is this something you can really do at the roadside in pouring rain & get you motoring again? Finding the cause of the puncture isn't so easy in the dark, nor is removing a nail or a splinter key alone getting access to the tyre from the right angle.. I'd much prefer to have a full-size space saver knowing it would at least get me home without too much hassle/stress
-
What options for a corrupted infotainment screen?
In the Octavia MK3 forum there used to be a guy who repaired VAG Systems. Not sure if he's still around but have a search for "Columbus repair" in the Octavia side.
- Front Assist not working, but no error messages appear.
-
tyre repair kit
Manufacturers only provide these kits to save weight of the "base model" to reduced the weight of the car for emissions classifications.
-
tyre repair kit
I've used the compressor & foam on one tyre. It didn't really fix the puncture & made an absolute mess of the inside of the wheel/tyre. The only other time I needed one, I'd lost the valve from the tyre so no kind of kit would help I always spec a spare wheel since...
-
Keyfob issue after changing battery (red light not coming on when button pressed)...any suggestions?
Double check the battery doesn't have a child protection sticker on it. I changed my key battery last month & it didn't work. After 10 minutes swearing at the keyfob, I was about to replace the new battery with another one. When I took it out I saw a small circular sticker on the top side which was preventing it from making a connection. Seems like it is something that tastes nasty to stop babies swallowing it.
-
Any way of disabling this auto braking?
Just my 2 pennies worth but in the specific condition described in the OP, the car in front is slowing to almost a standstill and turning into a side street. Front assist does not anticipate the behaviour of the car in front, it only looks at the information presented to it, the car in front is stopping & you are driving towards it. In the UK it's quite common to brush past the back of the car Infront when it's turning because you as the driver know it will continue to turn. In Europe a driver turning into a side street does not have right of way over a pedestrian and can often stop before entering the junction. You must think of the system with this kind of manoeuvre in mind. Also, from a manufacturer point of view, there is nothing dangerous about braking sharply in any conditions. It's the driver behind who is at fault if they hit you because they must maintain a safe stopping distance from the car in front in the event of such an emergency stop. Whilst in real life this will obviously cause problems e.g. on a motorway or busy road, the manufacturers are covered by the road regulations given to them & for them it would be more serious if they hit a pedestrian rather than someone else his the back of you.
-
Start Stop Stall
Does it happen also when starting the car for the first time or only during stop/start events? One easy thing to check is the battery terminals are tight and don't show signs of oxidation around the inside. If the terminals are loose they can cause problems starting but this would normal occur for any kind of starting not just stop/start
-
Spare Parts - Where to buy from?
Thanks for all the replies and positive feedback for Skoda-parts 👍 I have already watched the videos in both linked threads before deciding to give it a go myself until I got stuck for where to buy the glow plugs. (Plus read the recommendations of several people with respect to the maximum torque/lubrication/hot engine/tighten-then- loosen etc... The cars has done 235k km so it's fair to change a few parts like this. I will change only 1 for now & see how it goes does. If it's easy, I will consider the others, however, the pressure sensing glowplug for £150 will stay until it's broken for sure Thanks again all 😍 Gabbo
-
Spare Parts - Where to buy from?
Yep looks like the right one & £25 including postage to Switzerland seems a great price.. Have you used them before? After Xmas I need to replace the steering position sensor used for the AFS cornering lights. I'll see if I can order both together to save on shipping.. Thank AG Falco 👍 Gabbo
-
Spare Parts - Where to buy from?
This link seems to be for seat belt fixtures? This was the part I found: https://skodapartsdirect.co.uk/product/skoda-octavia-2014-2020-glow-plug/ Skoda part number is: Bosch SKU: 04L963319E Beru SKU: 04L963319AB These seem to be the generic part numbers: BERU Glow plug GE133 BOSCH Glow plug 0 250 403 009 Gabbo
-
Spare Parts - Where to buy from?
Hello all, I'm looking for some recommendations where to buy replacement parts in the UK (or Switzerland but I guess it's asking too much)? I'm initially after a glow plug for my 184PS TDi 2014 (cylinder 4 so just standard plug I think). The garage here in Switzerland wants 60chf(~54£) each 😱, I've seen them for £35 from a Skoda garage in the UK (choice of Bosch or NGK) They are £12 + £15 shipping in AutoDoc but I've heard bad things about them not being genuine parts or fully compatible... Are there any recommendations for where you buy spare parts? Preferable a smaller or local retailer in the UK but a reputable website is also fine. Thanks in advance for any recommendations or hint in the acceptable glow plug price. Gabbo
-
My Skoda
This is a bit chicken & egg I guess because without Skoda connect you cannot access the OTA updates for the maps & infotainment. It's strange an update is needed though because Skoda connect is not a new service app should have been sorted for many versions
-
My Skoda
Confirm with them "what device" actually needs an update & to what level/version? It's possible to install the updates for Columbus "unofficially" yourself I believe
-
My Skoda
A garage will charge you the download time & installation time even if they already have the necessary files & the installation requires no interaction. Nothing says they have a 100Gbps, they will charge you for an hour downloading at 100kbps... My company paid approximately the same at BMW for a navigation update. ~€450
-
Rear wiper blade for L & K estate
Do you have the part number for the old wiper arm? Do you know if it's different between the estate and hatchback?
-
My Skoda
Perhaps it's something they can do remotely? In my case, I didn't leave the car, the guy went to his desks & logged into some kind of Skoda website. After a few seconds he came back and said try to reconnect your user profile & everything worked. All they probably needs is your VIN & Skoda app user ID/login name
-
What oil type?
Agree, I had the same conversation with him because I wanted to change to 5W30 after the 3rd 1L "top-up" after 21k km However, the garage is "monitoring" the consumption at the moment and has checked for leaks around the engine and into the exhaust system 3 times plus paid for the additional oil so I didn't push too hard. As mentioned I plan to change to 5W30 in the future once they stop giving me free oil at least for one fill to see if it improves the oil consumption (and doesn't affect the fuel consumption).
-
What oil type?
On my new superb TDI (2024) mk3 there's a sticker on the bumper beam & it uses 0W30. I have high but regular oil consumption & I've asked the dealer if I can change to 5W30 as the previous engine. He said technically yes but as my car is in warranty it would no longer be valid if the oil consumption issues get worse. So I will stick with it for the first 3 years before I change.
-
My Skoda
I had the same issue with my new car. I was a bit "quick" for the dealers liking when I picked up my car & had already tried to connect as the main user before the "handover" guy arrived as he was with another customer & had the same error. He activated something in the Skoda system at his desk & then it worked at the next attempt.
-
Rear wiper blade for L & K estate
This was my first thought... Where are you buying the previous version of the arm from? I'm going to pop into Skoda on Friday to see if they'll replace my blade under warranty & if not what they want for a new blade compared with a previous level arm.
-
Pressure sensor or not ? Glow plugs
It's on my Octavia not the superb. It's a 2014 184ps TDi. I've done almost 250k km so can't complain really but was thinking I could save a few hundred CHF by doing it myself