Cars you don't see on the roads any more

Dr Zoidberg

Well during the last few days I've only seen 2 Trabants & 1 x Wartburg 353 Combi

(so obviously no summer & shows only for most owners)

Today in Dresden I saw a Citreon Ami 6 which was being overtaken by a 1970s Mercedes estate which was on (H Suffix) Historic plates yet the Citreon wasn't.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just recently I spotted one of these :-

r.jpg

and within a couple of days, one of these :-

800px-Renault_Vel_Satis_Phase_II_Heck.JPG

Fancy two people in such a short space of time having such bad taste :rofl:

Don't know could be one Multiplas -that's even worse :giggle:

I actually liked the Vel Satis if not the pointless Avantime. Those little Polos gave me a big nostalgia trip! Lovely little cars a friend's mum had one, muc better than the bread van type that followed it.

I learned to drive in my Dads Mk1 Polo , it was Riyad Yellow , and was a pre facelift model , with the original spec dash with the fake wood on it and metal bumpers. Ive searched in vain for one still on the road now in that spec , I guess they have all rusted away by now , ours died after i rear ended a Mk 2 Cavalier in 1988 (yeah i know....) but by then it had had sills , rear arches , the front and rear bumpers were rotten and the front valance and front of the bonnet was bubling up with rust. The car was only 9 years old and only had 57K on the clock. Compare that to my almost 10 year old Fabia which has had absolutely no bodywork and is showing zero rust , it shows how far cars have came in 30 years or so.

Saw one of these last week in Leeds. I have seen it a couple of times before and it is a genuine example, not one of the many body kitted wannabe GSI's.

LotusCarlton_1125156c.jpg

The fastest four-door production car in the world when it was launched in 1989, the Lotus Carlton featured a twin-turbocharged, straight six-cylinder engine developing 377bhp and 419lb ft of torque. It had a top speed of 176mph, and could accelerate from zero to 62mph in 5.4 seconds. Holy Foooooook!!!! :o

There aren't many of these left now. Know for being quite unreliable and commonly breaking down unfortunately.

my Dad used to have a Lotus Carlton from new aswell as 12V and 24V GSi3000's

My Grandad had a V6 Cavalier, don't see many of them about. Strange, I never caught the vauxhall bug though I would rather like a Lotus Carlton

Vauxhall bug - thought that was thing that ate through seat metal on early ones( Like FD 2 LITRE) ,and head gaskets on Cavs . :giggle:

• 5 weeks later...

I was behind one of these this morning.............

Fiat_Tipo.jpg

Fiat Tipo 2litre that looked in mint condition. It was being driven very slowly by an older gentleman who was wearing a flat cap :) Can't remember when I last saw one of these???

My old man had a Fiat Tipo. Were they not galvanised to stop them rusting? Thought they'd last longer.

Care I've not seen for a long time

Fiat Uno turbo. I guess most of them are in trees by now.

I saw this Renault 16 3 weeks ago on the autobahn near Darmstadt in Germany. I later passed a few more, so there must have been an owners' club meeting in the area.

316.jpg

Haha!! Love it! I used to have one ages and ages and ages ago. It was a crazy car! I used to nickname mine the 'woodlouse'

Column shift gear change, right hand hand brake, front bench seats, arm rests, soft seats and even softer suspension - HUGE steering wheel - it was like driving a boat! Was a very comfy car though. The front seats would all fold down backwards to the rear seats and make a decent sleeping area. Great for going to gigs when I was a teen.

Gearbox at the front on the inline engine meant that you could sit in the engine compartment to change your spark plugs. Timing chains got noisy though and to change was an engine out job.

From the Coventry Motor Museum model showcase:

renault16.jpg

Seems they used them for camera cars for the Tour de France due to their supple suspension

Edited by Golf-Fiend

That Renault 16 reminds me of the Renault 4 -the one with the umbrella shaped gear lever -similar style of latout -gearbox in front of engine .

That Renault 16 reminds me of the Renault 4 -the one with the umbrella shaped gear lever -similar style of latout -gearbox in front of engine .

Yup - our neighbour had one (renault 4). I used to get a lift to school in it when I was 15.

I was behind one of these this morning.............

Fiat_Tipo.jpg

Fiat Tipo 2litre that looked in mint condition. It was being driven very slowly by an older gentleman who was wearing a flat cap :) Can't remember when I last saw one of these???

i looked at buying one of these last summer but was a complete dog, j reg that one was they wanted £450, which i deemed £449 too much for the condition it was in!!!!

What -the older gent ,or the Tipex . :giggle: :giggle:

Charade GTti. They only had a 1 litre 3 cylinder engine, but they absolutely flew. They invented the word turbo lag, think they did 0-60 in 7.9 secs which was was pretty quick for 1988!

Very addictive to drive, every gear begged the full 8000rpm.

91000370.jpg

• 2 months later...

Rover 3500 spotted yesterday - it has a 'for sale' sign in the window as well if anyone is interested

P1090379.jpg

Ooooh what a lovely car. Only ever been in one once, but I could live with that in my fantasy garage :)