Uneven panel gaps on brand new VRS - pictures attached

Once the cluster and panel are out, how is the alignment of the panel altered?

Seeing as I had my car prior to the bumper being off I was 150% sure that it was better prior to being removed, so figured something had shifted.

The bumper is held on by 2 screws each side iirc, so have some movement due to holes not EXACT size so there's some play. When I removed the light & Panel I could see the position of the original location due to marks of screw heads. The Photos I have clearly show that head was put into a different position. They also show there's some vertical movement with 1 screw and horizontal with other. You could probably get at the screw in Photo 4 without Panel removal.

I forgot I had these so hopefully will explain to others and to help wega3k.

You should be able to find a snug fit with loosening the screws and trying different setting.

Although I find it totally unacceptable that a brand new car have that type of gaps, do they actually Quality Inspect....makes you wonder.

post-35-1265407073394_thumb.jpg

post-35-12654071045948_thumb.jpg

post-35-12654071390865_thumb.jpg

post-35-12654073224476_thumb.jpg

post-35-12654073605022_thumb.jpg

post-35-1265407456502_thumb.jpg

post-35-1265407691784_thumb.jpg

Edited by GAFF

I work for a company that import new Peugeots and Citroens, you would not believe the number of damaged new cars that we recieve. One I saw this week was having a new sill welded on in our workshops. Many are also damaged by the transporter drivers who have as been said before zero respect for the vehicles.They are on bonus and just load or offload as fast as possible. I would imagine this fate has befallen your new car.

One thing I will say is that when our bodyshop repair a vehicle is certainly done to a far higher standard than any others I have come across. Faults like yours would not have been allowed to happen.

Thanks for that excellent info and photos GAFF. :thumbup:

I had a call from the dealer today. My car is coming out of the body shop tomorrow and will be ready to inspect tomorrow or Wednesday.

Had a look at it today.

Wing hasn't been off - they said it they'd have had to put a new one on and there was the risk of the paint match not being perfect (and of course paint depth would be different) so they've left it as the lesser of two evils. It only seems to be touching because of an excess of paint on that bit of the A-pillar.

Rear bumper has been off but the gaps aren't really changed. The panel between the light and bumper has been repainted and looks fine.

Unfortunately, they say they can't keep the trade-in value on mine until a new one arrives, which I can accept. Technically the gaps are within tolerance (well the front wing one isn't, but it's only touching excess paint AND they say they would put a new wing on if I wanted it but they're recommending, sensibly tbh, that we leave it it), so I can't really argue. So I'm left with 3 choices...

1. Convince myself to stop being such an obsessive weirdo and just accept my new car, which 99% of people would have just accepted in the first place.

2. Call the whole thing off and just keep my car, which is mint, returns great economy and I love driving.

3. Find out what the trade-in hit would be to get a replacement new car. (not inclined to do this).

I said I'd tell them what I want to do tomorrow.

Still happy with the dealership, they've been great. I am however disappointed with Skoda's manufacturing and quality control. My current one and my previous one were perfect.

Edited by wega3k

I'd see what the trade-in difference will be for the extra two or three months depreciation and take it from there.

I wouldn't be doing 1) , so it would be a choice of 2) or 3) depending on the figures.

I expect the garage will give you a stupidly high figure to try and put pressure on you to accept the car.

If you are not 100% happy with the car being supplied then why would you even consider p/x'ing your current car that you are perfectly happy with AND give them money for something that will not be as good in your eyes?

Quick update....

I've had a couple of calls from the dealership today to keep me up to speed. Full marks to them for communication and service. I'm impressed. :thumbup:

Car is at the VW bodyshop today. The dealership have contacted Skoda and we have an agreement that I can order a replacement car with same terms as this one (same p/x, VAT free - even if offer has ended, 2years 0%) if I'm not 100% happy with the rectified car. Hopefully ready for me to go and inspect on Saturday.

Wega

What happened to this agreement. I assume you meant the same P/X value. If they are now going back on this should Skoda not be making up the difference?

I do feel for you. It would take the gloss off having a brand new car to your spec for me

Looks like it's time to walk away :( I know it will be difficult, but at the end of the day,

you expect to get what you have paid for....

I think I'd go along with that view Nick - there would always be something niggling away at me if it wasn't right

And bear in mind how good you know your current car is - and it's only an 08 plate after all, so loads of life left in it yet :thumbup:

And we don't want another white facelift at the East Midlands meet :no:

Edited by Brimma

Wega

What happened to this agreement. I assume you meant the same P/X value. If they are now going back on this should Skoda not be making up the difference?

I think maintaining the p/x value would have been on the cards if it was impossible to correct it to within allowed tolerances.

I can understand the dissapointment of not picking up your car after such a long wait but do not accept that car, it will always be in the back of your mind. If it was a suite of furniture or a table and chairs you might be able to accept some imperfections.......but not a bloody car !!

Maybe you should call it a day and try elsewhere mate, you have a car your happy with, after a few weeks you'll put it behind you and you can order another new one elsewhere. Who knows, maybe you would have saved up a bit more and can get more extras! :thumbup:

Id have to agree, walk away, its always going to be on your mind, and you dont want to be thinking after that you should of left it.

Your buying a new car so you would expect everything to be perfect from day one.

You have a sleepless night ahead of you id say :|

:rofl: From the person who wanted a white one a few months ago :rofl:

Choose wisely Grasshopper Nick

Hook, line and sinker :thumbup:

I saw the light though John - and I'm not talking about your LEDs ;)

I agree with all the other posters, don't accept the car if you're not happy with it. Your current car is perfect and you're happy with it so hang on to it and wait for another deal to come along.

Meh. I'm so totally in the middle of the fence. I keep flip-flopping between the options, convincing myself one way, then the other, every 5 mins. I'll have another gander at it tomorrow on my way into town to help me decide.

the general consensus on here is dont accept the car, it will always be on your mind every time you look at the back end or the wing.

from your descriptions of your car i would just keep it, its not like its past its best or anything, its reliable and you know its ok

spend the money on a private no. plate or something to freshen it up if thats what your after

Meh. I'm so totally in the middle of the fence. I keep flip-flopping between the options, convincing myself one way, then the other, every 5 mins. I'll have another gander at it tomorrow on my way into town to help me decide.

My new car (White FL Vrs) arrived at the dealers last week, and I went and had a look at the weekend. My car was similar to yours, with regard to the fitment of the bumper, and it touching at the top of the wheel arch. From what I could make out, bearing in mind it had only just arrived at the dealers and hadnt been PDI`ed or even washed, I couldnt see any imperfections in the paint work.

I have spoken to the salesman, and he has checked the car over again, and is going to get their Master Tech to check it too, but he assures me that everything is ok with the car. And to be honest, I did have a look at his 59 reg white demo car, and that was in the same condition.

Wega3k, which dealer are you buying from???