FUBAR

**** that, the place I got my bike done does bikes on a purpose built bike roller but even so, I'd still not be doing it for them, I'm amazed they can with the health and safety bull**** that exists now. 

For car you get waved in door stopped nose in for them to do emissions for petrol engined cars (stopped doing metered smoke test after they managed to blow up too many peoples engines) with exhaust outside still, then on in fully and lights checked from front and using an angled mirror above door for efficiency, then you have to get out walk around to passenger side and get in while examiner drives into rolling road and operates the machine etc from the car (for H&S) then they drive on forward to far end of building for ramps and beside barrier protected seating area. You have to be driven that 25 meters for H&S reasons LOL yet this new crap! lololol 

Bought my first (not really true, shared a very hot 125 cc CZ with a schoolmate back in the merry 60s. The bike didnt stand for a liter of ether instead of gasoline, so the project inhibited itself, so to say) bike, a Honda 250 in the mid 70s and used it for the same purpose as my motorcycle today, travelling in Europe. Had a couple of years with small children and no motorcycle in the early 80s and bought eventually a BMW R100RS which followed me until 2003 when the present Moto Guzzi Breva came into my life. Admittedly there havent been much time for mjotorcycling the last two seasons, but theres still hope.

• 5 weeks later...

Thought the all black Forza was ready for a bit of a makeover, so ordered a few red body panels from Thailand to jazz it up a bit

DSC_8478_zpsa0ylcwkq.jpg

DSC_8479_zpsreiurfii.jpg

DSC_8486_zpsx9lbpo2u.jpg

• Like 1

Went back to Austria in May, here's some pics from the mobile on that there google plus thingummy

https://goo.gl/photos/kYyfokL5QB4Shbea7

Cracking pics, I really like the way they are presented in the link! Great memories to keep too  :thumbup:

You should start a thread just for your epic adventures! 

• Like 1

Hi 

I am more a biker than a car driver had them for the last 30+  years my current ride is a Honda CB1300

but in the past owned 

CB 400 (3 of them)

CB 550

XL 500

GS1000

Katana 1100

GPZ 900

GPZ 1100

RX 1000

Suzuki GT550

CB 900

and various small bikes C90,RD200,DT175 as winter hacks

Still prefer the bikes but old age and a wife say other things 

post-105250-0-29500200-1435770786_thumb.jpg

post-105250-0-80312300-1435770913_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have seen a couple BUT what puts me off is that it is obvious he is travelling with a film crew who are carrying his suitcase, hairdryer and who know what else.  In the real world that is not how we tour but I understand the format and the fact that he is showing the routes.  Just lacks the gritty reality for me.

I know what you mean about the support car, the idea of touring and visiting different places just seems great fun. In last nights episode he was touring Western Australia on a KTM, I've never been a fan of them but it just looks so suited to touring.

Cool Thread!

I've owned/blagged the following:

Yamaha 50 scooter 

Suzuki X4 125

Suzuki A100

Honda VFR400R (NC21)

Honda VFR750FL

Ducati 900SS

Kawasaki KDX250

Moto Morini Corsaro 1200

Honda VTR1000

Honda CBR1000RR

Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Honda VFR400R (NC30)

Back to cheap, fun....

Has anyone had a Suzuki DL V-Strom 650? I really like the look of them & I quite fancy a v-twin.

I have not owned one, but have test ridden on two occasions firstly against a BMW 650 GS and latterly against Honda CB500x and the NC750.

Initially I was smitten by the VStrom. Good riding position. Comfortable. Nice torquey engine and so on. I was intending to buy it until I rode the 500cc Honda. In simple terms, the Honda was lighter and more usable. It suited my needs better than the VStrom.

As you will probably be aware, there are loads of reviews on the Suzuki. Most of them are very positive.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I know what you mean about a twin as it has a lot going for it with speed torque and a different sound to the across the frame fours.  I don't like the Boxer engine full stop and no matter how much BMW tart them up into what is the latest and most fashionable adventure bike that will only go off road as far as a car park.  To me it is just turd polishing.

I would say to anyone looking at bikes to have a look at and a demo ride on as many different makes as you can before you make your choice.  What I would say and not because I am biased is have a look at Triumph.  I never even considered them and went to look at a Yamaha FJ1300 to replace my vtec VFR and only went upstairs by chance and saw the Triumph range.  They do have some cracking bikes and the triple engine is a beauty.  I bought the 1200 Tiger Explorer because I didn't think the 800 would be big enough for us to both go touring on and as things have worked out the chance of us going touring are slim due to a dog that is poorly.  So we maybe could have coped with the 800 Tiger and many of my friends have them and think they are brilliant.  For me I am still pleased I have the 1200 because of the awesome power and it is shaft drive that means I don't have to faff or worry about the chain.

So if you are considering all the usual suspects all I am saying is don't forget Triumph and you may be pleasantly surprised. Oh and if I could afford one or justify one I would certainly have a speed triple in my flock. :D

It is a marmite thing though I guess.  Don't get me wrong I don't knock anyone for liking them or wanting them but in my opinion there are better more flexible engines out there that are smoother than the Boxer that has that inherent torque reaction when you blip the throttle.  But that is my opinion and anyone else is entitled to theirs as long as I don't have to ride a boxer. :D

• Like 2

It will be my 1st 'big' bike. I don't want a sports bike as I need it for commuting & over time a pillion passenger & some luggage.

I was originally hooked on the fazer600 but next doors aprillia race bike sounds awesome (apart from when I'm trying to sleep).

I doubt I will get around to buying a bigger bike this year, I'm making my shortlist so I have a goal to work towards.

I did an insurance check last night, the fazer600 is £100 extra but the dl650 strom is only £20 more than my ybr125.

A 600/650 60-70bhp bike will be more than quick/pokey enough, it will be a nice introduction into bigger bikes and the ability todo some weekends away & as it will still be a learning curve I'm only looking at spending £2500 as I intend to replace that after a couple of years for something much newer when I gain even more experience

You won't go wrong with a V-Strom mate, fast enough, reliable and has character and will do just about anything. One of my German mates has had his for 3 years and 70,000 miles and is still smiling :)

You won't go wrong with a V-Strom mate, fast enough, reliable and has character and will do just about anything. One of my German mates has had his for 3 years and 70,000 miles and is still smiling :)

Agree. V Strom is a good all round machine.