Dash Cams

RichieJ, I bought the DOD F520, and I generally found that was cheaper than the GS600. Here is an example video someone sent me from eBay. He bought the exact same camera from exact same seller. It was about £102 posted.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/78928687/AMBA0207.MOV

Can clearly see the registration plates, and quite frankly, I know the quality may not be quite as good as the UK cameras, but it's better than half the price of the likes of the BlackVue one, and DogCamSport MiniDVR. Only problem is obviously if it breaks, coming from Taiwan, returning it will be a bitch :p

how have you mounted this mate?

• 2 weeks later...

Any one tried fixing one of these cams to the black shaded area above / behind the mirror - with just the hinged lens peeking out looking forward ... should be almost hidden there.

I tried putting mine at the bottom of the screen in the centre as illustrated earlier in the topic - but I'd give it a life of about 3 days before it vanished for being a gizmo in plain view if I left it out.

Mine has a fixed lens - so can't where I'm suggesting unless I want a nice view of the car bonnet and top of the dash.

Here is a link to the dash cam I ended up buying.

Cost me around £60 from Taiwan. The settings in this video aren't the best, I was playing around, so the quality can be better than this. I've certainly noticed it's better to have the camera pointed slightly towards oncoming traffic, as as things get nearer the edge of the lens, the sensor struggles to get a good picture.

*EDIT*

Don't forget to change it to 1080p!

Any one tried fixing one of these cams to the black shaded area above / behind the mirror - with just the hinged lens peeking out looking forward ... should be almost hidden there.

I tried putting mine at the bottom of the screen in the centre as illustrated earlier in the topic - but I'd give it a life of about 3 days before it vanished for being a gizmo in plain view if I left it out.

Mine has a fixed lens - so can't where I'm suggesting unless I want a nice view of the car bonnet and top of the dash.

Yup. that's where mine's fixed. Reasonably well camouflaged, especially as it's right next to the light/rain sensors. I used a sticky number-plate fixing pad (about 6mm thick) so there was sufficient clearance to rotate the lens. Cable runs into the headlineing down the passenger side A-pillar, though the dash and into the glovebox, where I stuck a 4-port 12v supply which runs off the ignition.

And yes it does give a great view of the bonnet and the road ahead, but not the dash.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed this one today. Didnt fancy cluttering up the windscreen so velcroed it to the bottom of the dash instead of using the suction mount. You can see the video quality in the ebay ad. Very impressed for the money.

http://www.ebay.co.u...21&cmd=ViewItem

cam.jpg

been chatting to the seller about this cam, its his own design and the one in the above link is out of stock.

hes just designed/produced a new improved camera and should be available to buy soon, he will send one over to techmoan (youtube reviewer) asap to test

looking forward to it tbh

il try arrange a group buy too (depending on how much discount there is)

anyone else bought any other cams recently?

been chatting to the seller about this cam, its his own design and the one in the above link is out of stock.

hes just designed/produced a new improved camera and should be available to buy soon, he will send one over to techmoan (youtube reviewer) asap to test

looking forward to it tbh

il try arrange a group buy too (depending on how much discount there is)

anyone else bought any other cams recently?

Have to admit, my only issues with that camera are:

The picture quality (I have the HD one) is not really HD. Number plates can be blurred once out of the foreground.

-and-

The bracket. It's just plain huge for the size of the product. If you try and mount it up between the windscreen and the RV-mirror, it hangs down below the mirror quite a bit. Plus it's not particularly adjustable. You can see how big it is on techmoan's review. My camera is held to the windscreen with thick sticky pads instead.

• Like 1

new one now instock from smartcam:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c66b12728

may wait till Techmoan reviews it before buying it

Looks interesting will await the review - May get one for the house too if the motion detection is any good.

Fubar...whereabouts did you get your DOD one from?

Cheers

Kit

Sorry just seen question, I got mine on Ebay from a UK seller next day delivery to NI. Was £10 more expensive at time than from China but worth it to be sure no customs charges.

Another option people can use if they want the overall best video quality as an end result but from a horrible looking camera is the GoPro series they are not the cheapest but are more or less indestructible and very reliable. I got a new one to replace my "Bullet HD Cam" for on bike the "GoPro HD Hero 2 Motorsports edition" came with all manor of mounts inc a suction one that can be used on car or self adhesive 3M mounts. The suction cup one can even be used on outside of car on bonnet, doors etc Anyone unfamiliar with them can see their results on just about every episode of Top Gear for last few years as they use them a lot for in car recording and on all the cool HD videos on youtube like the Ken Block vids his new video out yesterday had about 30 GoPro's in it. Can change how wide an angle it records shed load of options 720p 60fps is great can do 120fps next res lower and perfect 30fps at 1080.

If anyone looking for a camera is into any sports that you would like a good action cam to use for aswell its fully waterproof records under water no problems there are mounts to attach it to a surf board etc too. New one battery life is over 4 hours at max quality.

Here is Ken Blocks new vid out 2 days and already 10million views! Make it 1080p and enjoy look closely in full screen you can see GoPro's everywhere.

I paid £194 all in on Ebay and next day delivery 2 weeks ago as much as I dont like the look of them I have always known they are the best quality you can get I have used so many different cams Sony SSD and CCD bullets with PVR boxes, Drift HD170, Oregon ATC9K and Contour then a host of random dash ones cheapo ones and expensive china ones. Dod GS600 is going to stay until it dies due to the results it produces being so high I will stick with it. The Black Vue is IMO the best value overall dash cam now but at the time I got my Dod GS600 it was over £100 more expensive and its not that much better to spend that at time. BlackVue is on Ebay now at £134 inc postage its a fantastic deal.

1_683x426_Moto_PKG_MAIN.jpg

Promotional video

And one of my fav GoPro vids not newest ones used but still amazing quality at 720p

• Like 1

Some interesting options here. Anyone got photo's of a blackvue installed? I'm curious to see how it looks when fitted. I can get the 400HD for approx: £125 which seems like it might be a bit of a steal??

Some interesting options here. Anyone got photo's of a blackvue installed? I'm curious to see how it looks when fitted. I can get the 400HD for approx: £125 which seems like it might be a bit of a steal??

I would definitely go for it if I were you! Only draw back as I see it is if it cannot be totally removed if you were parking and leaving car in an area you were not happy to leave something like that on show.

Not my pics just google search results

DSC_0943.jpg

DSC_0942.jpg

blackvue.jpg

• 7 months later...

I'm aware i've missed the BlackVue group buy ( :( ), but wondered if anyone else had opinions on what's out there on the market... which is increasingly more than was out since the last post on this thread

like other people, i'm after something that can be removed if necessary (or discreet... i.e. no built in monitor or 'bulkyness'), and isn't too much faff to fit if it is removable

I'm aware i've missed the BlackVue group buy ( :( ), but wondered if anyone else had opinions on what's out there on the market... which is increasingly more than was out since the last post on this thread

like other people, i'm after something that can be removed if necessary (or discreet... i.e. no built in monitor or 'bulkyness'), and isn't too much faff to fit if it is removable

The sky is the limit now, all depends on budget of course. Briskoda now has a sponsor who sell them. I just got the new BlackVue DR500GW great camera.

http://www.smartcamdirect.com/

The sky is the limit now, all depends on budget of course. Briskoda now has a sponsor who sell them. I just got the new BlackVue DR500GW great camera.

http://www.smartcamdirect.com/

ah, yes, budget - i didn't mention that (though I did mention the Blackvue which on closer analysis, is a few quid more than I wanted to spend), I was thinking budget / ebay range ---> max £50 :)

Just read through this thread again, I was lucky enough to get in on the Blackvue group buy and have installed it, quick question:

Why is HD footage thrown out in court when it's far better than the councils ****e CCTV footage?

Just read through this thread again, I was lucky enough to get in on the Blackvue group buy and have installed it, quick question:

Why is HD footage thrown out in court when it's far better than the councils ****e CCTV footage?

It is?

Video evidence can only be used in court if you can prove that there is no way it could have been tampered with or edited, I.e. watermarked or certificated or protected format etc. unfortunately something like avi is just too open to being changed to suit.

Video evidence can only be used in court if you can prove that there is no way it could have been tampered with or edited, I.e. watermarked or certificated or protected format etc. unfortunately something like avi is just too open to being changed to suit.

Hand to Police at scene? Could be advisable, especially if camera is recording non stop until Police are actually on it then they can attest to it's integrity?

This one is a great reason to have something in car. Absolute waste of skin!

Hand to Police at scene? Could be advisable, especially if camera is recording non stop until Police are actually on it then they can attest to it's integrity?

This one is a great reason to have something in car. Absolute waste of skin!

If it is handed to police at scene then they can vouch for it later in court but could still be argued by layers, however if police can see what happened they can often get other supporting evidence. Either way insurance company should be happy.

This guy "Techmoan" has done lots of review of the cheaper Chinese Ebay cams.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan?feature=watch

Blackvue is beyond my budget too but I am thinking of getting something. Just enough to help with insurance I'm not worrying about court and forensic integrity.

Edited by Aspman

This guy "Techmoan" has done lots of review of the cheaper Chinese Ebay cams.

https://www.youtube....n?feature=watch

Blackvue is beyond my budget too but I am thinking of getting something. Just enough to help with insurance I'm not worrying about court and forensic integrity.

This one is one I like there are various different names for the same one, it is the same internals as my old DOD GS600 etc.

It is £100 odd though but value for money wise it is fantastic. Personally for a cheap one I would love to test out there is what used to be listed as GS1000 which is feature packed £29 delivered from UK (cheaper from China). I have been running cameras in cars and on bikes for years now and been through many there are some really poor ones out there but also some dirt cheap ones that rival the best and certainly destroy them on value. Only thing you loose with a cheapo China one is the real quality control etc.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5aeb0818b4

I've just bought a supposedly genuine DVR027 for £35 from China for SWMBO. I have a checklist of things to test to see if it is a real one when it arrives. If it is, I'll pass on the seller's details. If its not, it'll be a PayPal claim for fake goods as the adverts declares it 100% genuine and lists most of the features the real one should have.