Dash Cams

So, I'm enjoying the Mobius Dashcam :) does the job just right and amusing myself by collecting clips for my forthcoming (2014) Christmas-release DVD... "Knob drivers of the year - greatest hits"

Anyways, that aside, I have a question... as per Fubars guide, i've mounted behind my rearview mirror - not only cos he has, but also it seems most convenient and not so intrusive for me as the driver, or obvious to the unsavoury "passer by"...

Few things though:

1) Autolights seem to be more temperamental - i've only noticed tonight there's a block on the side of the rearview mirror near to the dash cam - is this the autolight sensor? I think I'm blocking it slightly so they're staying on for longer in the mornings. 

2) The camera doesn't fully tuck behind the rear view mirror. My passenger sun visor therefore catches on it. I can either try a shorter connector into the cam (do they do "L-Shaped" USB connectors?) - how have other people got on? I'd ideally not like the 3/4" chunk of cable sticking out of the back of the cam so I can make it even more discreet and wrap the cable around the unit and up into the roof

In fairness, I am using the 'sucker' mount at the moment. Hope to move to the 'sticky' one soon, though wanted to get the placement spot on with the sucker one first.

Sorry for babbling - happy to post pics if it helps :)

• Like 1

So, I'm enjoying the Mobius Dashcam :) does the job just right and amusing myself by collecting clips for my forthcoming (2014) Christmas-release DVD... "Knob drivers of the year - greatest hits"

Anyways, that aside, I have a question... as per Fubars guide, i've mounted behind my rearview mirror - not only cos he has, but also it seems most convenient and not so intrusive for me as the driver, or obvious to the unsavoury "passer by"...

Few things though:

1) Autolights seem to be more temperamental - i've only noticed tonight there's a block on the side of the rearview mirror near to the dash cam - is this the autolight sensor? I think I'm blocking it slightly so they're staying on for longer in the mornings. 

2) The camera doesn't fully tuck behind the rear view mirror. My passenger sun visor therefore catches on it. I can either try a shorter connector into the cam (do they do "L-Shaped" USB connectors?) - how have other people got on? I'd ideally not like the 3/4" chunk of cable sticking out of the back of the cam so I can make it even more discreet and wrap the cable around the unit and up into the roof

In fairness, I am using the 'sucker' mount at the moment. Hope to move to the 'sticky' one soon, though wanted to get the placement spot on with the sucker one first.

Sorry for babbling - happy to post pics if it helps :)

Post pics of it's location I will take better ones of mine tomorrow and post back. Basically mine is behind the mirror so that the cable coming out back bends straight up resting against the back of the rear view mirror. This works well for me as the mirror is set for me and me alone, if others were driving and needing to adjust it, it may not be as good a place. Mine is nowhere near passenger sun visor. You can get angled USB cables on ebay etc for pennies. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=angled+usb+min&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=angled+usb+mini&_sacat=0

Specifically this might be handy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-mini-B-5-pin-male-mini-B-5-pin-female-Adapter-Converter-angled-/150846787995?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item231f2b519b

eq2hkw.jpg

9a30qa.jpg

Car still frozen solid will get pics on way back from work. Mine is mounted on self adhesive mount too but I placed my mount more to the right but the sticky pad lower down so that the camera is just visible below the rear view mirror. So that it would still give access to the micro SD card easily etc and so I could see the red flashing LED to confirm it is working if I duck down a little. Will take pics to show better, later on. The self adhesive mount is slightly smaller too making camera a little snugger to windscreen (I got both) it might be worth buying one of those too, only £2 odd from same seller as camera. 

Yeah, got the self adhesive - just not fitted it yet :)

I thought that might be the placement you'd gone for - seems the only other logical position for me... i'll have a toy at the weekend.

Is the block / sensor on the back of the rearview mirror something to do with auto-lights?

Yeah, got the self adhesive - just not fitted it yet :)

I thought that might be the placement you'd gone for - seems the only other logical position for me... i'll have a toy at the weekend.

Is the block / sensor on the back of the rearview mirror something to do with auto-lights?

No idea on the autolights side of things myself, I was too cheap to spec them. If it is just the sensor to make the lights come on, I can't see the camera being able to fully block it, ambient light rather than an all out direct look at the sky should be fine in that sense but worth some trial and error. If your happy with current location just moving it a tiny bit to right for the sun visor, id go for an angled USB cable or an adaptor to make it one. 

The sensor on the back of the mirror is the ambient light sensor for the auto dimming mirror so it can detect the difference between ambient and bright lights behind the car.

Mine is where Fubar's is and it does not interfere with that auto dimming sensor in my case.  

I agree with Fubar, having it accessible so you can see the red led flashing is useful.  Actually if you put your finger by the led you don't even need to duck down, you can simply see the red light reflect on your skin. 

Adam

Bought my Mobius a few weeks ago - love it......... when I remember to take the lens cap off............  :wall:

Haven't got mine on the left side though - using mine on the right with the windscreen sucker, close to the mirror as I can without going on the "dotty stuff"..... means I can easily see when the red light is flashing when driving... the unit is far enough up to be out of my line of sight so no problems at all for me.... When I finally get round to tinting the rears windows it will be even higher once I get an internal sunscreen applied at the same time and then I can mount it over the "dotty stuff" with impunity............. and will hide the tell tale sign of something on the inside screen that the urchins look for...........

I've mounted on the dotty stuff with no issues? 

Been stuck there since I installed it in Mid-Sept (using the 'sucky' mount) --- works well as really difficult to see from the outside... just obstructs the passenger sun visor :( 

It also means that people who drive my car don't tend to notice its there - that's how it seems after I watched the garage doing my servicing, and the guy from the airport parking firm I use driving it around looking for a space ;)

9a30qa.jpg

A dash cam is going to be a Xmas preside to myself this year.

I really like the sound of the möbius.

So just to confirm, the definitive list of stuff I need for installation using permanent wiring is as per this post?

You want a Mobius Action Cam. Easily the best around for the money.

Camerahttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151071891306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - £44.89

Windscreen Mount: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181166005622?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 - £2.93

USB Car Charger Adapter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180942478506?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649£2.59

3m USB Cable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151072001797?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649£3.19

Total Price: £53.60 (all prices are todays exchange rate)

You will need a MicroSD card for recording though.

Reading through other posts, where would I get the piggy back fuse thingy?

Thanx in advance

Personally I went for one of these so that it couldbe wired straight into the fusebox. It already has an inline fuse box so all you need to do is put a blade connector on the end and use one of the un-used parts of the fuse box

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380699351818?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

A dash cam is going to be a Xmas preside to myself this year.

I really like the sound of the möbius.

So just to confirm, the definitive list of stuff I need for installation using permanent wiring is as per this post?

Reading through other posts, where would I get the piggy back fuse thingy?

Thanx in advance

I have links in post 1 of this thread and a guide of sorts, if needed. You can disregard the multi socket adaptor bit if not wanting one of those etc. 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/265343-dash-cam-12v-multi-adaptor-hidden-install-driver-storage-compartment

FUBAR, thanks, I read that one end to end as well.

What I meant was, is the list of stuff in the post from Xrey all I need to complete the install?

I'll probably use the fused USB cable posted above though.

• Like 1

FUBAR, thanks, I read that one end to end as well.

What I meant was, is the list of stuff in the post from Xrey all I need to complete the install?

I'll probably use the fused USB cable posted above though.

Aye that's what I would go for if I was you, nice neat install! 

I did something similar, wiring one of these in to a switched live at the fusebox, giving a charging only usb port in my glovebox.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-to-5V-3A-15W-Step-down-Converter-Regulator-female-Panel-mount-USB-for-car-/261294432505?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3cd65ca0f9

The key with any of these units is that they scale the voltage down from 12V DC to 5V DC (as the one in Rob's post does).

Adam

Just ordered the cam and both types of windscreen mount, plus the USB cable that Rob posted the link to.

All I've got to do now is wait.

How long did you guys have to wait for delivery?

What great service :)

Ordered on 11 dec, from Eletoponline 365 as recommended by you lot.

Good steer guys!

He sent an email on 12th advising it would probably not get to me before Xmas.

Not a problem as I was expecting that anyway.

It arrived this morning!

Just got to wait for UPS to stop sodding about and actually deliver the Long USB cable that Rob linked to.

They reckon they've tried to deliver and got no answer twice.

Funny, I've been in both times they've stated.

They were supposed to come yesterday (3rd attempt) but someone had rescheduled delivery till after Xmas??

Wasn't me and UPS couldn't tell me who it actually was?

I'm betting their driver can't be arsed and is telling porkies?

Oh well let's see what happens later today.....

Long story short, the UPS man wasn't trying to deliver anything to me.

It was supposed to be delivered to the next street !!

Long USB lead turned up yesterday so all installed and working this morning.

Hard wired to fuse box via the roof lining and A pillar cover.

That bit took about 10 mins.

Finding the right fuse for the rear wiper, for switched power, was a little more awkward!

Damn you Skoda for your fuse box schematics!!

Must say I'm Impressed with the picture quality even on lowest resolution.

Going to test it in the dark tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

The video is much smoother than this but YouTube degrades it.

You are right YouTube makes it look like Didcot . . .

Helpful video, think I will get one of those. Not surwhether to affix it at the top or bottom of the screen though.

Update:

The footage under street lighting is quite good, I'm impressed. I get slight glare but that's down to the heated screen elements.

In pitch black it's ok enough to capture what's going on.

Best £70 I've spent for a while.

As for fitting top or bottom, I would go for top, behind the mirror, using the sticky pad fixing.

It is not noticeable from the outside unless you know it's there.

Tip... Remove the white label from beside the lens to hide the camera even more.