Fabia Vrs Oil Fix

if it helps anyone car went in for first service @ 5.4k miles, needed a litre of oil at 9.7k so nearly 4.5k before 1 litre top up required. Warning had not come on quite yet, told by the dealer the warning will come on just after the level leaves the dipstick.

Normally with the CAVE engine it would be another couple of thousand miles where the economy improves or it starts to look like it needs a new engine.

Your running in regime with the more recent engine should have this point arriving sooner i would imagine.

The only need for the economy runs, is so that you can see just how bad it gets when you are being naughty.

have fun with it,

good things come to those that wait.

(then indicate & just boot it hard, you remember why you were so excited while you waited for the delivery day.)

george

Sorry George can u please clarify for me what u mean about the mpg/100 in regards to engine replacement. Also anyone with the breather mod seen build up oil residue inside engine bay I steam clean it once a fortnight and have noticed this . Also can atone tell me what the go is I this photo in Lyman terms and mechanical

so whatsthe summary of these 10 pages then? Is there a fix and does it work, or are we still inconclusive

From what I gather so far there is no fix. Even engine swap doesn't work sometimes (vickyvrs-her case is really dodgy and involves some questionable engine number re-stamping).

I think there is even one case of CTHE new motor slurping oil. My one is using oil but not at an alarming rate. It is down half way hatched area in 2k miles and I am not going to top it up until much lower. I will give it a chance to settle before hand.

I bloody hope the mpg does improve.... Mines shocking at the mo...

Damo, glad you have the car back and hopefully it is now sorted (no more calls to Skoda Assist). I too have noticed a reluctance for the engine to achieve anywhere near the fuel economy i used to achieve with the original engine. However, touch wood oil consumption has been reduced dramatically for the time being.

I expect to see a variation on economy over a year due to fuel and conditions, but now find it difficult on some trips to manage 30 mpg where previously in excess of 35 mpg was possible. However, more miles required before any real conclusions can be drawn.

I find ext temps have massive influence. All things being equal (exactly the same route, traffic conditions, car load, speed etc) yesterday with -1.0C I barely managed 30 mpg. Today, with +6.0C I got 35 mpg... At this rate I wll be wallowing in high 40-ties summer time :D.

From what I gather so far there is no fix. Even engine swap doesn't work sometimes (vickyvrs-her case is really dodgy and involves some questionable engine number re-stamping).

I think there is even one case of CTHE new motor slurping oil. My one is using oil but not at an alarming rate. It is down half way hatched area in 2k miles and I am not going to top it up until much lower. I will give it a chance to settle before hand.

I've had a new engine and the oil breather kit installed. Both of which have failed to cure the problem and my oil consumption has got worse. Last check up it had used a litre of oil for 600 miles. My mpg is pretty awful too and has been since I bought the car. The most I've ever got out of it was 47mpg which was a rare treat but I haven't even come close since.

I've been monitoring oil consumption since having the oil breather modification done. I used 1 litre of oil for the first 570 miles. Decided to give it a second chance. Then used 0.75 litres for the next 620 miles. This is the same rate of consumption I was having before the oil breather 'fix'. Therefore no better.

Will now book the car in to the dealer's for an oil consumption test. Disappointing :sweat:.

This appears to be a continental description.

A member on here posted it & can maybe say where they got it from.

** Is it an official VAG instruction sent out to all Workshops?? I do not know!)

It certainly is not how some UK Dealerships seem to be doing it.

(being less than exact in some cases possibly)

Maybe someone that has been present during the test done in a Skoda Dealership can comment.

IMO,

They (SKODA UK) need to pay for the petrol used during the Test & the 'Dynamic 100 km test drive'.

Monitoring of the oil must have brought it to the point of needing the Weigh Test.

Permission must have been given to carry out the Test & the Dealership is being paid to do it.

*****That surely is Hourly rate and materials, Oil, Filter, Drain Plug & Petrol*****

It is their, VAG/SKODA's possible Manufacturing or component fault, not the innocent customers.

Costs are down to VAG/Skoda under warranty.

george

• Like 1

Taken from

.15 of the above.

"Perform an informative Technical Repair Query to assess the case including photographs of the weighing proccess before and after the dynamic test drive and a diagnostic test drive and a diagnostic protocol of the Guided Fault-Finding,

listing the VAS505x including the latest updates."

Now that might have been early on when the first engine oil usage problems were being reported.

I would make Trading Standards & your solicitor aware of that document & find out who issued it if having problems with VAG/SKODA.

They are well aware

& it is not just a small amount of vehicles or forum 'Urban Myth' of newer vehicles still having problems 3 years into the

production run of these engines.

Some or most engines are obviously great & have no problems.

SKODA/VAG must have an idea long before now of which production runs or components are at fault.

george

George u are a legend thank u so much if you can I would love a copy for my records . I have taken further steps to finally get Skoda VW to be held to account and hopefully this huge process in the Victorian civil and appeals tribunal vcat I will get an explanation and hopefully get an outcome that can assist u guys over there. This has just consumed me mentally and physically which I hope will come to an end early in the new year. I have all paperwork filled out just waiting for a review to see what else I need. I am the only one in Melbourne with the car and don't have much evidence besides my own experience and what is in this forum which is consided here say. I am not a mechanic but love cars and bikes and no a bit and have appreciated all the threads . The light at the end if the tunnel is near and would appreciate all the help u fellow mk11 owners . Cheers Coops

What a find, I dare not ask where did you get that document from George :).

And small logo failure in the procedure. I understand they are dropping hot oil and weighing hot oil where guidance provides weight to volume conversion rate at 15C. Not sure what is the thermal volumetric expansion coefficient for engine oils. JerryT at is the best person to answer this :)

The document is from a post in a thread on here from around April, May maybe June 2012.

(its not mine.)

I thought it was 'kopo' that posted it originally,

it was the same thread as the one that the VW Polo Owners manual was posted in, i seem to remember.

but i will find the thread later when i have speed on the PC or maybe just speed.

george

EDIT,

April 2012 is about far enough back in this section to get all the stuff you need for any Posts going to VAG/SKODA.

eg.

http://www.briskoda....or-fun-from-new

http://www.briskoda....-tsi-is-a-lemon