Briggs and Stratton

seboni121

Bought mine 15 months ago from here:

http://www.gardenlines.co.uk/lawn-mowers/petrol-4-wheeled

Lowest price I could find at the time. Ordered online, delivered next working day with free bottle of engine oil.

Mine's the Hayter Spirit with B&S 158cc engine. Excellent bit if kit. Wish I'd bought it years ago.

Briggs and stratton engines used to be very low tech. Not sure what they are like now though. I went through a whole range of mowers when I did some site maintenance years ago. Ended up with a honda that lasted until I packed it in. I wouldn't buy any other brand now. How much grass have you got to cut and what sort of finish do you need. Make sure you get one with a powrrful enough engine (self propelled?) With a wide enough cut so you get something that will do the job easily.

Briggs and stratton engines used to be very low tech.

Yep - still low tech. Very little to go wrong. Carburettor diaphragm will need replacing after a few years (£2 + half an hour with spanner and screwdriver) but that's about all.

What Tom says; we went for a Mountfield mower a couple of years back mistakenly thinking it had a B&S motor. Turns out it's some cheap Chinese **** (was in at the weekend for a new recoil pack when I was told this) The bloke told me they no longer sell Mountfields UNLESS they are the top end ones with a proper B&S unit. But then he said 'If I were you, next time, get something with a Honda engine' HTH

I have a McCulloch petrol mower with a B&S engine. I looked at Hondas but just couldn't justify the cost - even 2nd hand.

The mower has a easy life and only has light use. It's performed well and the only times its broken down were when I'd left old petrol in it. (Took me 2 hours of fault finding before I realised) and when the Mrs threw a heavy object onto it and bent the throttle assembly.

It's easy to service and suits my needs. Dont get me wrong I'd love a Honda but it would have cost me 3 times the cash and I don't think I could justify that.

Had a problem with our last B&S mower - changed to a Honda Powered mower last year - It's silky smooth and doesn't struggle as much as the B&S - that being said, it was twice the price!

Al.

We have a Honda Izy which has been fine until it started to leak petrol the other day, dirty carb jet probably.

When we bought there were other brands fitted with the Honda engine for about £100 less.

Needless to say SWMBO was there so we bought the Honda branded mower.

We have a Mountfield Mower with a B&S engine, which is possibly over 30 years old (I know it's well over my 25 years of age anyway).

The rest of the mower is getting quite worn but, with regular enough servicing, oil changes, air filter cleanings, and the lead replacement fuel additive that its age requires, the engine is still going strong.

May not be of any use for you, considering that it says nothing about the new engines, but our old one is bombproof.

My Mountfield has a B&S engine. Its about 8 years old and started first pull after winter this year. It has a cast aluminum deck rather than a steel one so no rust or corrosion problems. Its an HP450 or something like that.

I change the oil and clean it up once every 2 years and it seems happy. Its a push-it-yourself tho so might be simpler than a self propelled one.

Cost £100 from B&Q originally so It doesn't owe me anything now :)

Well moved in too our new home :) and its glorious here :) and a old fella came over who lives in another bungalow and said " no don't use the Bosch electric mower " and gave me a nearly new Briggs and Stratton for freee ! , now that's neighbourly :) lovely fella

Briggs and scrap'em is what they are known as, go for a Honda engine, they are indestructible.

+1

Honda worked out how to make ultra reliable engines many years ago and still do. We have some Honda generators and they never go wrong. The BS powered ones we had before were always going wrong.

Well moved in too our new home :) and its glorious here :) and a old fella came over who lives in another bungalow and said " no don't use the Bosch electric mower " and gave me a nearly new Briggs and Stratton for freee ! , now that's neighbourly :) lovely fella

Bet he's been trying to get rid of that for ages. Who says you can't give 'em away?!!! :rofl:

Seriously, that is one nice neighbour. :rock:

When I was about 20, my Dad was given an old then Qualcast with a B&S (ok, h insisted on giving the other guy £5 for it when he saw it). New plug, HT lead and fuel line, and it ran perfectly for 15 years or so, and was then sold to a dealer for £50.

Honda are the dogs but I have had three Briggs and Stratton machines. Diaphragms go but no other problems. Robust, cheap and do the job.

Ive got a newish Briggs & Stratton mower, never had a problem with it. I change the oil, spark plug, drain the fuel and service it before it goes into hybernation for the winter. I changed a Carburettor gasket and diaphragm on my old one (common fault) and that took me 20mins including a coffee break :)

Look after it and it should be fine.

I've had my "push" mower with a B&S engine for 15 years, only changed the plug a few times (for no good reason) and the oil a few times. It starts first pull after the winter, only problem is getting the governer spring going slack after encountering low branches - so had to replace it. Carb problems, none yet, touch wood, I keep it fed with Redex, that keeps some of the flies away, but probably is not too good for the operator - cough cough!

Clinton Ironstone - are they not the only bomb proof engines (probably not made now).

It must be said though, living up North and not feeding the grass means that grass cutting begins in May/June and ends Sep/Oct, so the mowers do not get overworked.

One tip I was given by someone that makes money out of using petrol engine implements, was, if using on level ground use 4-stroke motor, if using on mainly sloping ground always use 2-stroke - these little 4-stroke motors use splash oil feed so on slopes the plate that throws the oil around might just be out of oil a lot of the time, 2-strokes don't tend to have a sump as the oil is in the fuel.

In my case, the crappy but light and good enough Bosch/Qualcast rotary mower gets used on slopping banks.

Edited by rum4mo

We did have a cheap Tecumseh which got battered over 12 years. It was 4 stroke, didn't use much oil and cut through anything. The only thing that killed it was the pull start. Making do with an electric flymo now but I may buy a new one for my old man for his 60th

I have Briggs and Stratton powered lawn mower that is now into it's 32'nd year with nothing more than an occasional oil change and new plug.

Used most weekends for all of that time