Vrs bored

Any one else got bored of their mk2 vrs? Iv lasted 2 years and now I'm really bored of it!

I had a Mazda rx8 before the vrs which was great fun but a pain in the arse and wallet! I would never have had an auto before but loved the fabia vrs when I saw it advertised, when they came out so decided that the dsg would be ok to live with to have such a cool car! But now the novelty has gone!

So Iv been looking at all sorts of cars to replace the fabia and almost set myself to a Subaru or gt86. then... I saw the Octavia vrs .... Omg Skodas marketing dept have done it again Iv seen the advert and instantly want one! Iv got the test drive booked for Saturday and got insurance quotes £200+ cheaper than my fabia vrs! Any one else in this situation? Anyone else tried the octy vrs?

Likewise .. looking at changing back to the Octavia . Just browsing on the skoda website to build to my own spec. I'm fed up with topping up with oil and on my second engine. A litre went in yesterday....

I have a new car every three years and to be honest, no matter what I have had I too get bored of them. OR is it boredom or just familiarity? The car is as good as the day you got it and liked but once you have had it a while, no all its quirks and what it can and can't do it seems less fun to own.

With this in mind, whatever you get, you will at some point feel like you do now.

• Like 2

Christ, dont say your bored f the vRS on here, you'll get linched.  Its the best car ever  :rofl:

GT86 would be a good shout.  Wild card though, try the new Fiesta ST.  What an absolute peach to drive, i particularly abused my friends one when he let me have a spin and it had me laughing my head off with an ear to ear grin.  The Fabia has never done that to me, even after spending a fair wedge on the chassis. Yes it handled awesome but it still wasnt as fun as the ST.  Much more fun than the Clio RS200 as well and definitely quicker.  I thought it felt a bit flat engine wise, but then my Fabia is about 210-215Hp at the moment.  If you add the Mountune pack to the ST its 217Hp and covered under full warranty!!!

• Like 2

ive been trying a few myself, i found the Fiesta ST a bit slow myself but seems very well made, just tried the velostar turbo, awesome looking car but just too slow in every gear for me, ive got a 208 gti and clio rs to try next week and still waiting on the pro c'eed gt to arrive

might as well try them all as im sick of buying oil too

• Like 1

ive been trying a few myself, i found the Fiesta ST a bit slow myself but seems very well made, just tried the velostar turbo, awesome looking car but just too slow in every gear for me, ive got a 208 gti and clio rs to try next week and still waiting on the pro c'eed gt to arrive

might as well try them all as im sick of buying oil too

I agree, I always thought the vRS with its 180ps was pretty gutless, but with 210-220Hp its frankly pretty rapid so i wasnt suprised to find the ST as feeling gutless.  But as i said though, for £500 you can get the Ford Approved Mountune setup which ups power by nearly 20Hp across the entire rev range and 35Hp peak and its 100% covered by warranty.  Its definitely on my radar as tuning this fabia has genuinely put me off modifying after a previous 11 years of fiddling with cars without any issues. 

The only issue for me with the ST was the power.  This is now sorted with Mountune, so its a perfect little hot hatch now.

st_215_power.jpg

• Like 1

I got bored of my (standard) Fabia mk2 vRS after three days and sold it on the fourth.

Yes, it's a capable car but the power delivery is too smooth and the handling not much fun. (note: IMO!)

I am quite lucky in that I do have a few cars knocking about and I can honestly say I'd rather be driving a Fabia mk1vRs or my Yeti.

In fact, if I could only have one car, it would be my 170CR 4x4 Yeti.

It has been mapped to 200bhp, but even after 26,000 miles I'm still not bored with it which is very unusual... It's great!

I did test drive the new Octy vRS.

It's a good car, noticably better than the mk2 Fabia. But I'd want the 220bhp petrol, so it could be let of the leash sometimes to stop it becoming a bit mundane when are on the motorway looking at all the other people driving Octy3s that look nearly the same.

Two other cars I am interested in from a performance perspective are the GT86 and the Fiesta ST with the mountune mod. The latter in particular does look like fun.

Two other cars I am interested in from a performance perspective are the GT86 and the Fiesta ST with the mountune mod. The latter in particular does look like fun.

You can take the man out of Essex but not the Essex out of the man.

Why not the Subaru version of the GT86, looks more individual to me?

Suppose to be a turbo version out soon which could be very good.

Just need the Yen to go back over 200 per GBP and they would be good value too.

• Like 1

I'm still in Essex!

Scoob or Toyota is fine.

They have a lot of grip if you take the cack tyres off to provoke oversteer too.

Litchfield do a supercharger mod too I think. :)

• Like 1

I'm still in Essex!

Scoob or Toyota is fine.

They have a lot of grip if you take the cack tyres off to provoke oversteer too.

Litchfield do a supercharger mod too I think. :)

What tyres do the come with?

Presumably Bridgestones or Japanese Dunlops?

Got to be carefully as I do some work with one of the above and park my car round the corner with its Michelins on.

Well I went straight from an RX8 to a Octavia vRS.

The Octavia It frankly is not as much fun as an RX8, it is not RWD, the engine does not scream up to 11,000RPM, flames don't shoot out of the exhaust, it's much slower, no suicide doors, no xenon headlights, 

However, I can actually fit large things through the boot lid, the rear seats go down; the engine does not drink oil, eat the coil packs, does a hell of a lot more than 17mpg and is less likely to explode below 100k miles. Parts are way cheaper too.

I go through phases with the vRS, as I have done with nearly all my cars and bikes. Sometimes I can have great fun thrashing it, other times enjoying that it can be an easy gentle drive or frustrated that as stock it handles poorly has a potententially dodgy engine etc..

I'm not sure there is a happy compromise, there are some great cars mentioned above. For me I now commute a long enough distance to need a car (and have to transport the kids 3 out of 5 days) so need something reliable, comfortable but not long enough to be able to actually get into the drive or have different routes for enjoyment, it is purely a practical A to B expeience. I am almost starting to move away from the need for a fun car given the additional cost that this brings (stand by for the slating!!). For fun I still have my motorbike which will always outpace any car I can afford and will give me far more of rush.

That said my car does run well so I will probably continue to run it for a bit longer as I think I am probably going to lose more changing it than I will save.

• Like 1

Although I'm perfectly happy with the car after 2 years of ownership, I've thought about it a couple of times. The thing is, If I was to spend some cash again I could only justify it by going to significantly higher horsepower and performance. I don't see the point in losing say 10-15k by trading my vrs for say a GT86 / Golf GTI / Octavia vRS / Focus RS just to go around 220-250hp and get practically just a little more real-life performance, so most cars already mentioned in this thread are already ruled out from me.

What I would like is the new M135i though. Performance/handling wise it's only a step behind that 1M beast, but at the same time way more practical and comfortable for everyday use which is what my car should primarily be about. Plus I'm betting there's some potential in that 2.9l engine. Of course, at something around 2.5 times the price of the vRS it's not exactly a direct comparison...

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 2

Wasnt bored of mine but its 3 years old in December so I have got a new Focus ST 2 coming in 2-3 weeks. I looked at the Fiesta ST but wanted something a little bigger new Octavia VRS looks great to but I got a good deal on the Focus.

• Like 1

Wasnt bored of mine but its 3 years old in December so I have got a new Focus ST 2 coming in 2-3 weeks. I looked at the Fiesta ST but wanted something a little bigger new Octavia VRS looks great to but I got a good deal on the Focus.

The Focus ST does look very good indeed,local Ford dealer has a new ST2 at just under £20k,so a good discount.

When I was in the USA in the spring I read about the Fiesta ST that had just come out over there,BUT their version has four doors,why not here?