We've started having tinker with the 2.0TDI 184PS

if it can be proven that the DTUK system has caused damage to a vehicle, then our product liability insurance would kick in. What more is there to say?

If youre that concerned about things keith, then my advice is leave your car standard and save yourself any undue concerns.

I'm sorry to carry this on (slightly off topic) BUT... Hasn't ANY type of modification on any car still under warranty always invalidated said warranty? This isn't a new thing and it's common sense (as well as written into the terms and conditions of the warranty).

If you were thinking of purchasing a DTUK box (or any similar product) then you have to understand that. Obviously if the headlights stopped working or a door fell off then I can't see any dealer making an issue of the claim just because a tuning product has been fitted.

IF the was a problem with any component related to the engine then fair enough but they would then tell you why the claim wasn't being paid and you'd go back to the supplier with that info and that's what their own insurance would (or should) cover.

It's been said before but you pay your money and you make your choice. YOUR choice, not anyone else's. I'm surprised at the level of repetition in this thread and the number of "just buy a faster car" posts. I thought this was a place for enthusiasts? Surely this will have come up before in the mk1, mk2, Fabia mk1&2 etc etc??

I haven't bought a box (yet) as I'm waiting on my replacement vRS arriving but not sure if I can wait until march for it so might get one sooner than later.

Well that's my 2p spent!

Andrew and Mike thanks for comments above.

My original point was based around the MOUNTUNE relationship and warranty coverage agreement with FORD.

Shame this is not the case with DTUK and SKODA.

Hence my final conclusion.

Not risk my warranty,and potential legal expense in any claim.

Thanks ANDREW for finally spelling out for me.

Sorry i  wasted your valuable time but hope it will help other in this dilemma.

Andrew and Mike thanks for comments above.

My original point was based around the MOUNTUNE relationship and warranty coverage agreement with FORD.

Shame this is not the case with DTUK and SKODA.

Hence my final conclusion.

Not risk my warranty,and potential legal expense in any claim.

Thanks ANDREW for finally spelling out for me.

Sorry i wasted your valuable time but hope it will help other in this dilemma.

Keith,

Sorry if you took it as a dig its just that there's been loads of folk pushing the warranty point - which is wholly understandable, but the answer isn't going to change.

I know what you mean about Mountune and Ford. In fact if I'd had bought a Focus ST I was intending on getting the Mountune Upgrade but the maths just didn't stack up for me. It's a pity that VAG don't have any such arrangement but I think VW would get first crack at that one if it ever happened. If it does, I'll be calling in sick and camping out at the nearest dealer!

Until that times comes, if you can't walk into a dealer and buy it then it's not going to keep the warranty.

Your welcome Andrew, thanks again for your help with everything! :thumbup:

my pleasure, I'm planning on getting our VRS onto our usual dyno, but beforehand ill test the setting you were running on our car, and if it's fine I'll try and dyno that too

my pleasure, I'm planning on getting our VRS onto our usual dyno, but beforehand ill test the setting you were running on our car, and if it's fine I'll try and dyno that too

Well I've run 4:3 for a few days now and the car seems to be more than OK with it, no warning lights and no sign of anything nasty and the car is driveable if you ease the power out . So please make sure you let me know what you're getting when you have it on the rollers! or PM me!... :happy:

Cheers

Edited by SteveWCombivRS

Well I've run 4:3 for a few days now and the car seems to be more than OK with it, no warning lights and no sign of anything nasty and the car is driveable if you ease the power out . So please make sure you let me know what you're getting when you have it on the rollers! or PM me!... :happy:

Cheers

Well I'm using the rs6 at present and genuinely missing the octavia as us the rs6 is quick but it's too quick.. No sooner have you hit the loud pedal it's time to hit the brake..

I'll be back in the Skoda before he end of the week and the rs6 will be parked up awaiting Audi collecting it ten days time :) at that point I'll try map 4 plus 3 on the road and see how it drives etc

Well I'm using the rs6 at present and genuinely missing the octavia as us the rs6 is quick but it's too quick.. No sooner have you hit the loud pedal it's time to hit the brake..

I'll be back in the Skoda before he end of the week and the rs6 will be parked up awaiting Audi collecting it ten days time :) at that point I'll try map 4 plus 3 on the road and see how it drives etc

Keep me posted as I will be interested to see what your opinion is on this optimum setting, to me it genuinely feels good and the car is fine for everyday driving, and that includes wet driving conditions. Obviously you have to maintain sensible driving, but it is very manageable in my opinion. 

Do you think there maybe any updates to the software after the dyno run?...

Keep me posted as I will be interested to see what your opinion is on this optimum setting, to me it genuinely feels good and the car is fine for everyday driving, and that includes wet driving conditions. Obviously you have to maintain sensible driving, but it is very manageable in my opinion. 

Do you think there maybe any updates to the software after the dyno run?...

As soon as I get chance to get the car to Northallerton I'll post details on this thread Steve, and if there any updates I'll drop you a pm and I can always update your box in return for some more unbiased feedback

Summed up very well, this forum is atrocious. Iv done a number of threads to try and help people who maybe interested in carrying the same mods, then you just get the boring people piping up to abuse you.

A thread I placed up regarding the optional extra wheels, i had people asking me to weigh the wheels now what the heck as that got to do with me showing people what they should expect to pay for a set and what they look like on the car.

Keep up the good work Andy :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair those criticising the product often seem more restrained and civil than those advocating it. The last few posts have called those who do question them 'boring' and 'complete idiots'. Hardly polite. I have an open mind and would benefit from info such as do I need to tell my insurers, what are the likely mpg savings, why do skoda not approve of them, what is the guaranteed support from the company rather than just through the good will of Andrew, how does the money back guarantee work, how can I check it's been installed correctly, what updates are available  etc. etc. It seems impossible to get answers whilst ducking all of the mud.

I must admit that Andrew does come across as being very helpful and he'd be the ideal person to buy from if the company were equally as helpful. However, a few of the comments such as the one posted at 22.56 offering to "update"  the box in return for "unbiased feedback" do worry me a little though as this 'trading' doesn't generally indicate honesty and integrity. I also wonder why messages that are applicable only to individuals are posted on here for marketing purposes when a PM would be more suitable and if those without a voice on briskoda receive similar levels of support. Similarly, it has to be said that his advice on the running in post to drive it like you've nicked it will fuel those who see these devices as being a tool to help the anti-social driver or local speed demon blast around the streets like he has a genuine sports car.

Personally i'd just like more power delivered more smoothly and lower fuel bills so i'll continue to research the units as best I can. It'd be a shame for this post to be locked because people can't keep a civil tongue in their head... or a civil finger on their hand.

• Like 4

Well we've tuned 100s of dsg equipped 170 tdis over the last 5 years without anyone's gearboxes falling apart..

But. how can you know that none broke? You sell the box and ship it via mail. That is it, for sure it is possible someone got his gearbox broken, removed the box and claimed the warranty, or even worse, drives it for a while, removes the box, sells the car and the buyer gets a malfunction. How will you get that feedback?

Even the previous experience, max torque you've achieved was what, 443 Nm, that is 10 percent more then max. set by the manufactorer, i suppose there has to be at least 10 percent tolerance, in order to avoid expensive callbacks, but this is 480 now, that is 20% and it looks like you're pushing it quite  far.

I am really interested in your product, and will consider buying one IF you elaborate with proper arguments why do you think that DQ250 can handle 480 Nm. Not so long ago it was speced only to 350 nm, and got approved for 400 with the release of the new engines.

You seem very confident nothing will/could happen, but I would really like to know why? Everibody else seem to thing that pushing torque over 400 Nm on that gearbox requires a  DSG remap at least.

"do u think if i send my ecu and the dsg mechatronic from here will they remap and send it back to me...i would like to remap my dsg to 450 nm, i will soon install a flexalite transmission cooler and i want to try the limit to 450 see if it will work..."

"yes i now but you have to upgrade the inside off the engine also, i think that MTM did this also, the juse the S3 parts

450 nm, and 360 bhp is the max and than bang 

above 450 nm the connecting-rod bends 

That means bigger connecting-rod max 500 nm, diferent pistons, and lower compression 

very nice inddeed 

JD has a 450 bhp, and 500 nm upgrade whit dsg "

"I am already have 400 nm but it is limited by MTM, i have installed(flexalite) big transmission cooler and i am planning the change the fluid every 10000 miles but still i wanna play with the potential because something is saying me the tranny can handle 450 even 500 nm if properly cooled and serviced.."

"JD engineering in Lochem Holland, can remap the DSG. 

http://www.jdengineering.nl/ 

I have 437 nm Tork and 323 bhp whit remap its great. 

JD has a 450 BHP and 500 nm tork golf gti 

remapping has to be done from 400nm. 

above 450 nm, you have to open the dsg and put in extra clutch plates 

The dsg can handel 700nm at the top "

You have a reputation of beeing very cooperative, I hope I do get my answers from you.

Edited by B051LjKo

Well I guess you get the anti modding people on every forum. A lot of the folks that I have seen modify their cars over the years are anything but the hooligans the anti brigade would have us believe they are.

This type of tuning ( and there is more than one company out there doing this, to be fair), is currently the only way of releasing the redundant performance dialled in to these cars.

I would think that, if anyone concerned about the fitment isn't convinced by the patient replies given, by now, then this type of product is clearly not for them. Every prospective purchaser has a responsibility to be sensible out there on the roads and with insurer and warrtanty, but that is down to them, as it is with every other aspect of their ownership.

personally I think it is good to have options. Will I get one for mine when it arrives? I don't know, but its good to have choices, and this thread has put out a fair bit of info to help those choices along. Yes, some of us like dyno printouts, but that's a small thing really.

• Like 1

I'm an idiot.  Could I fit the tuning box?  I'm a complete novice under the bonnet. 

If not, what sort of garage would fit it for me?  Presumably my local Skoda dealer might have a bit of a hissy fit if I ask them to fit a tuning box.

I'm fascinated by what I've read on here, and certainly from early reviews it sounds like a great product.

As for the bickering, isn't that forums are for?!  There's a few on here that like to post their opinions as fact, but ultimately we're all consumers and we're all capable of making our own decisions.  I think Skoda drivers are very much divided between the old-school bargain-crazed couldn't-give-a-toss-about-cars and the petrolhead seeing the chance of getting a few extra horses for his budget...

To be fair those criticising the product often seem more restrained and civil than those advocating it. The last few posts have called those who do question them 'boring' and 'complete idiots'. Hardly polite. I have an open mind and would benefit from info such as do I need to tell my insurers, what are the likely mpg savings, why do skoda not approve of them, what is the guaranteed support from the company rather than just through the good will of Andrew, how does the money back guarantee work, how can I check it's been installed correctly, what updates are available  etc. etc. It seems impossible to get answers whilst ducking all of the mud.

I must admit that Andrew does come across as being very helpful and he'd be the ideal person to buy from if the company were equally as helpful. However, a few of the comments such as the one posted at 22.56 offering to "update"  the box in return for "unbiased feedback" do worry me a little though as this 'trading' doesn't generally indicate honesty and integrity. I also wonder why messages that are applicable only to individuals are posted on here for marketing purposes when a PM would be more suitable and if those without a voice on briskoda receive similar levels of support. Similarly, it has to be said that his advice on the running in post to drive it like you've nicked it will fuel those who see these devices as being a tool to help the anti-social driver or local speed demon blast around the streets like he has a genuine sports car.

Personally i'd just like more power delivered more smoothly and lower fuel bills so i'll continue to research the units as best I can. It'd be a shame for this post to be locked because people can't keep a civil tongue in their head... or a civil finger on their hand.

I had a feeling someone would pick up my comment to Steve..

As far as I'm concerned his feedback is unbiased and he's given an honest review of our product. When Steve first contacted me and told me he was running map 4 on plus 3 i was surprised as I've only ever ran our own car on plus 1 or plus 2, and usually if you go too high you'll see an engine management light.

What i haven't mentioned to anyone at all is that i am actually running a tweaked file on our octavia that has increased mid range pull a touch (based on using my bum dyno), I'm very surprised that Steve is actually running plus 3 on his car and not seeing any management lights. it'd giving me something to think about once i get to use our octavia again.

So going back to my comment, what was wrong is saying to a customer publicly that if we do release new updates that he will be informed, and that i would look forward to more unbiased feedback from him??

As for my comments of driving a car like you stole it, its a tongue in cheek comment and its my own personal opinion on how I drive my car from day one.

My personal opinion is that a diesel engine that is driven hard will give less issues with stuff like dpf's and thats how i have chosen to drive my own diesel cars...

i must remember not to be so honest in the future as that seams to be frowned upon by certain members..

Edited by Andrew@DTUK
  • Like 4

As for my comments of driving a car like you stole it, its a tongue in cheek comment and its my own personal opinion on how I drive my car from day one.

My personal opinion is that a diesel engine that is driven hard will give less issues with stuff like dpf's and thats how i have chosen to drive my own diesel cars...

I was actually told my my dealer to drive the car (Mk2) hard every now and again to prevent issues with the dpf (daily commute 5miles) no running in period

I will be sending my box back to be upgraded for my Mk3 when/if it ever arrives. Personally, I have been running on 2.2 or 4.1 so not pushing the car beyond its tolerances and it does make a huge difference to the driveabilty of the car (my opinion) over the stock settings.

I was actually told my my dealer to drive the car (Mk2) hard every now and again to prevent issues with the dpf (daily commute 5miles) no running in period

I will be sending my box back to be upgraded for my Mk3 when/if it ever arrives. Personally, I have been running on 2.2 or 4.1 so not pushing the car beyond its tolerances and it does make a huge difference to the driveabilty of the car (my opinion) over the stock settings.

i bet you can't wait, and again it will be good to hear how the MK3 compares to the MK2 in both standard and tuned forms..

Give me a call Paul once the car lands and if you send the box back up well organise the new loom and software for you,

• Like 1