Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

Well the disk went it and is saw the image as valid, didn't seem to see any errors, and it asked me twice if I wanted to proceed, so I've gone for it, and it's presently 30% in.....

Holy crap!!

let's hope I haven't just manufactured a massive paperweight lol.

Mike

yeah Skoda dealers yes.

Well, it's all done now I think I have video in motion as well with this firmware, not that it's much good unless you want to crash :)

Put something on for the kids I suppose.

Mike

Is there a post on this forum on what Bluetooth model I would need to purchase in order to be able to stream audio, and also access my phone sim for contacts and so forth?

• 1 month later...

:sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat: HELP :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat: 

Hi my Columbus RNS 510 has just started in german although some of the writing is still English.  I have no radio or phone but still have sat nav but with no sound.  I presume this is a Firmware issue, from the secret menu i have the following

Delivery part number 3T0035680B

HW - Version   H11

SW - Version  3814

Active map - west Europe

Active map supplier - Navteq

Map version HDD - 8117

can anyone tell me in SIMPLE terms what i need to do, can i download the software if so which one and from where and also do i have to have to downloads maps and if so from where.

Many thanks in advance

Phill

I had that issue last year the day after our holiday started. I had to re-install the firmware once I got back home. I always keep my firmware and map discs in the glovebox now just in case. :)

• Like 1

It depends how much your dealer likes you really. Maps will be £170 odd to buy or they might do it for you for a charge, depending on how much they feel like charging. Firmware updates they don't usually do unless you have a problem, and even then they charge by the hour and have little idea what they might do for you until they actually do it.

• 1 month later...
Guest mpw246pl
I have a Skoda Superb 3.6 on a 13 plate and can't get the map upgrade to V13 to work on my Columbus.

My problems is that once everything is completed (firmware upgrade & map via SD card) and all report 'Success' the mapping appears until the system is turned off. When I turn the system back on, the mapping has vanished as if it never saved to the HDD even though a 'success' was reported.

Firstly I used a firmware disc to upgrade to RNS-510 v5238 which can be seen through the hidden menu of the setup button, information given is:

Delivery Part Number: 3T0035680K

HW-Version H61

SW-Version 5238

SV SW-Version C_EU_13.236_t3

HW Vehicle 0xCA01

SW Vehicle 0x44550001

Bootloader Vehicle 0x44340001

HW Main 00010002000501...

Bootloader Main 00135505

HW Radio 0006

SW Radio EUR_CHN_143F

HW DAB 255

SW DAB NOTAVAILABLE

HW DVDDecoder 004(0x04)

SW DVDDecoder _S0_S7.0

HW DVD Drive Version A2C53173871

SW DVD Drive Version VW1_C0_C4.1

IBOC HW Version -

IBOC SW Version -

HMI XML 1.15.4.8 (EU)

Text File version 16.03.2012

I then used the guides to make a SD card (christian-jeanin link) upon which I stored:

MAPS (folder)

MAPSDVD (folder)

test.mp3 (file)

I then used imgburn to burn a CD-R and DVD-R (track-at once and x2 speed) containing sd_to_hdd_fw.iso (file) and used the verify tool to verify the burn(s) I followed the guides (with key OUT of ignition at all times) re SD card in and CD-R (this works fine) and watched the unit 'saying' it was copying from SD card to HDD and this is the point where it displays 31% complete. At the conclusion a SUCCESS message was displayed and I removed the CD-R and SD card.

At this point the Map & Navigation work fine, and using the setup hidden menu the mapping data is showing as:

HW-Version H61

SW-Version 523

Active map coverage West Europe

Active map supplier Navteq

Map version DVD 8348

Now as i said before, if I power down the unit, when i turn it back on, the system has 'forgotten/lost' the mapping info and the system displays 'Please Insert the Navigation DVD’ message!!!

Going to the hidden menu at this point now shows:

HW-Version H61

SW-Version 523

Active map coverage -

Active map supplier -

Map version DVD -

Following the troubleshooting guide point (4) at christian-jeanin which covers this error has no effect. When I insert another mapping source labelled as DVD1 (western Europe) RNS-510 & RNS-810 2016 the system can be heard reading this disc and within about 20secs the maps appear. I also can use the Nav and the database of streets etc is also there. This ONLY works when the DVD is in place which is not what I want.

I have installed the new firmware twice just in case and this problem still happens.

Can anyone help as to why the mapping has not been correctly saved from the SD card to the HDD even though the system displayed a 'success' message?

Can you still access the hard drive to play and save any music? It's possible there's a drive failure going on, but it's more likely to be a mainboard issue I think. Can you reload the earlier maps without any problem?

Also. any reason why you're using the SD card method instead of just using a dvd?

If you read the FAQs on the maps tool website you'll see that this is a common/known issue.

You also need to burn the maps to a disc and insert the disc briefly after copying from the SD card (once booted up and it prompts for the disc).

For some reason it seems some files aren't copied properly so it prompts for the disc then copies these missing files and it should work.

I had the same issue when I last did mine.

Phil

Edit:

I'm an idiot and missed the last paragraph of your post!

If you've already tried inserting the disc (I assume the same maps version as copied from the SD card?) then it perhaps points to an issue with the unit.

The only other thing to try would be a recovery disc to completely reset the unit and re-format the drive then start again with the firmware update again and copy the maps again. It could just be a drive format issue.

Edited by Phil-E

Guest mpw246pl

If you've already tried inserting the disc (I assume the same maps version as copied from the SD card?) then it perhaps points to an issue with the unit.

The only other thing to try would be a recovery disc to completely reset the unit and re-format the drive then start again with the firmware update again and copy the maps again. It could just be a drive format issue.

Many thanks for the quick reply...

I used the File obtained from www.my-gti for the 'SWL Recovery CD' and this showed a 'Success' sign at the end when put through the system - afterwards using the hidden menu, I was surprised to see the HW was still 5274 which I had previously installed...does the 'SW: Recovery' CD restore the unti to a lower version/ or just recovery the unti allowing it to be used whilst keeping the installed 5274?

On the assumption that this 'SWL Recovery CD' actually did someting, I then used the same web site to make a Format CD – HDD and Maps but when I put this throught he machine it finished showing a SWL Error.

I'm at a loss as to whether to now try and reinstall the Firmware, followed by the maps or whether the above processes have failed.

Any ideas?

One sure way to bugger your unit, keep throwing fixes at it until it's broke. :p

There's some discrepancy in your posts. You first stated that you'd updated the firmware to 5238, now you say you're still on firmware 5274. You've tried (from what I can gather) a firmware update from something to something, then you've updated the maps software with another firmware, then you've run a firmware fix, then run a reformat firmware. I'm not surprised your unit is complaining. If you do actually have a problem then you need the correct fix for that problem, not any and every fix you can try in the hope something works. You could very well have a hardware issue (as I said earlier) so no amount of software fixes will make things magically better.

So sit back, step away from the dvd burner and random downloads from unknown sources, and tell us what exactly you've been doing.

What's the HW and SW number on the data label on top of the unit, also what date was it manufactured? Is it a factory install in the car or an aftermarket, and if so who fitted it? Did the unit behave okay before you started fixing it, and what firmware/maps version was it on? What firmware are you actually on at the moment, and can you reload the original maps you had on the unit?

Anything else you can disclose would be helpful.

Guest mpw246pl

One sure way to bugger your unit, keep throwing fixes at it until it's broke. :p

There's some discrepancy in your posts. You first stated that you'd updated the firmware to 5238, now you say you're still on firmware 5274. You've tried (from what I can gather) a firmware update from something to something, then you've updated the maps software with another firmware, then you've run a firmware fix, then run a reformat firmware. I'm not surprised your unit is complaining. If you do actually have a problem then you need the correct fix for that problem, not any and every fix you can try in the hope something works. You could very well have a hardware issue (as I said earlier) so no amount of software fixes will make things magically better.

So sit back, step away from the dvd burner and random downloads from unknown sources, and tell us what exactly you've been doing.

What's the HW and SW number on the data label on top of the unit, also what date was it manufactured? Is it a factory install in the car or an aftermarket, and if so who fitted it? Did the unit behave okay before you started fixing it, and what firmware/maps version was it on? What firmware are you actually on at the moment, and can you reload the original maps you had on the unit?

Anything else you can disclose would be helpful.

My intention has never been to do things willy-nilly and so cause the unit problems. My rationale is that i see it as similair to a computer and thus if a piece of software isn't running correctly, then delete it, reinstall it, try another version of it or in the end reformat the drive (in this case the HDD) so that you have a clean start from which to reinstall the software that may help.

I was on 5238 when I made the original posting on this thread but in the mean time, I wondered if the software wasn't working correctly as I couldn't rationalise why the map loading procedure indicated it worked (Success screen) but oddly never saved it to the drive permanantly. Thus in order to prove/disprove that the software was working or not, I then installed 5274 and reloaded the maps - same result in that the maps indicated they loaded correctly (success screen) but only would function with the MAps DVD inside the unit.

I hope that clears the ambiguity re the SW.

From the labels on the top of my unit, the information is as follows:

3TO 035 680E

Date: 05.11.2011

HW: H61

This is a factory fitted unit that was in the car when purchased new from a dealers.

The unit still has the factory seals on it.

SW; 3984

To answer your other questions:

• Yes the unit was working just fine until I tried to install the newer firmware which was 528 and then I Installed V13 West maps
  • I do not know the SW version or mapping version that was running in the machine prior to the above
  • I do not have a Skoda purchased version of the maps, which is what I presume you are calling the original. I have two copies of V13 maps, one bought via that well known selling website from a seller with a vast number of positive feedbacks for selling just the same material. The second copy I have made from obtaining the ISO image from another website. 

Hope these links to pictures work for you and looking forward to some help please

Edited by mpw246pl
Invalid photo links removed.

My intention has never been to do things willy-nilly and so cause the unit problems. My rationale is that i see it as similair to a computer and thus if a piece of software isn't running correctly, then delete it, reinstall it, try another version of it or in the end reformat the drive (in this case the HDD) so that you have a clean start from which to reinstall the software that may help.

The software isn't stored on the hard drive. All that holds is simply the maps, music and POI.

I was on 5238 when I made the original posting on this thread but in the mean time, I wondered if the software wasn't working correctly as I couldn't rationalise why the map loading procedure indicated it worked (Success screen) but oddly never saved it to the drive permanantly. Thus in order to prove/disprove that the software was working or not, I then installed 5274 and reloaded the maps - same result in that the maps indicated they loaded correctly (success screen) but only would function with the MAps DVD inside the unit.

I hope that clears the ambiguity re the SW.

This would point to a hardware issue, not the software (5238 etc) or maps. Either that or your software images are corrupt and aren't loading completely. It has been known for seller / distributors to purposely nobble the software so that end users have issues which will need repair (for which they then charge).

From the labels on the top of my unit, the information is as follows:

3TO 035 680E

Date: 05.11.2011

HW: H61

This is a factory fitted unit that was in the car when purchased new from a dealers.

The unit still has the factory seals on it.

SW; 3984

Perhaps it might be better to try reloading the original software version and see if you can save the unit. I'd suggest the Factory version rather thn a dealer update version if you can get hold of it.

To answer your other questions:

• Yes the unit was working just fine until I tried to install the newer firmware which was 528 and then I Installed V13 West maps
  • I do not know the SW version or mapping version that was running in the machine prior to the above
  • I do not have a Skoda purchased version of the maps, which is what I presume you are calling the original. I have two copies of V13 maps, one bought via that well known selling website from a seller with a vast number of positive feedbacks for selling just the same material. The second copy I have made from obtaining the ISO image from another website. By "Original" I meant the version of maps which was on the unit originally. Either that or an earlier version than V13. The two copies of the maps you have are essentially the same thing. The seller simply downloaded them from the same plaxe as you, burnt them to disc, and sold them for whatever he can get.

Hope these links to pictures work for you and looking forward to some help please

Side%20of%20unit.jpg?dl=0  

Top%20of%20unit.jpg?dl=0  

Version%20Info%20%231.jpg?dl=0  

Version%20Info%20%232..jpg?dl=0  

Version%20Info%20%233.jpg?dl=0   

Version%20Info%20%234.jpg?dl=0

Pictures don't work btw.

Pictures don't work btw.

open links in new tab, with chrome works that way

forum engine doesn't allow post pictures links without picture extension(.jpg; .png; ..) on the end

in preview ok

open links in new tab, with chrome works that way

forum engine doesn't allow post pictures links without picture extension(.jpg; .png; ..) on the end

in preview ok

Nope. Looks like he linked to the pictures on his device or computer rather than uploading them or hosting them online. The picture links aren't valid urls.