Reliability/build quality issues?

I'm still having electrical quirks like you two as well,

headlights turning themselves on for a split second while the switch is off and starting the car is one too! but hard to spot.

Plugging the camera in sometimes does and sometimes doesn't bring the error up.. haven't had it come up with it unplugged, but I don't like to leave it unplugged after what happened to the last loan car Vindis gave me.

It was keyed both sides front to back, every panel, by one guy who did my entire street. So I'd rather have it on over night!

OT, but jeez some people. In a way somewhat fortunate that it was the loan car that got keyed and not yours? Were you still up for paying an excess?

I've got a monumentally bad rattle from the boot, like a loud plastic rattling.  Going to empty everything out thats not bolted down this week and see if it's still there and then it'll be going into the dealers.

I'm still having electrical quirks like you two as well,

headlights turning themselves on for a split second while the switch is off and starting the car is one too! but hard to spot.

Plugging the camera in sometimes does and sometimes doesn't bring the error up.. haven't had it come up with it unplugged, but I don't like to leave it unplugged after what happened to the last loan car Vindis gave me.

It was keyed both sides front to back, every panel, by one guy who did my entire street. So I'd rather have it on over night!

Buy one with an independent battery source if you want it on permanently. You can't expect to leave it plugged in draining power and have no problems. You will have problems if you continue to do this. A drained or low voltage battery will start to give you numerous random electrical issues at best or worst not starting the car.

So it's down to your choice and not the manufacturer supplying you with a defective car in this case.

No I didn't have to pay excess luckily.

Their insurance cover only had an excess if I was physically sat in the vehicle.

And you cannot find a dash cam with it's own power source, if you did, it would be huge.

It draws maybe .5A if that, it won't kill a rather large AGM battery. Not when I drive daily and have a 25mile motorway commute. My point was, I had no idea what the error was, and the dealer doesn't care. FYI, the loan car I had never had a problem with the power draw bringing errors.

Anyway, I had an interesting answer phone message from SUK. Their technical explanations are hilarious.

I think I know what the problem was,

I suspect you had rain water getting in somewhere on the electrics,

My mate has a Renault van that had him scratching his head, I read and cleared the faults for him a few times, each time it got dry the thing behaved, some rain later and on came the dash lights,

I feel your pain Peugeot did the same thing to me many years ago, nothing worse than an unfixable car,

Edited by Supurbia

And you cannot find a dash cam with it's own power source, if you did, it would be huge.

If there were not any available, I wouldn't have bothered posting. There are plenty available with lithium rechargeable batteries. Or you can go for the ones that have a parking mode and only come on if they sense motion/impact.

As advised before, check the state of your battery and run it without the dash cam for a few days and see what happens.

My blackvue (top of the range) has a parking mode, evidently it doesn't work!

I guess my only solution would be to wire in an inline battery and use an ignition switched live to charge it while driving.

Just need to measure amp draw etc.

I'm still not entirely convinced it's just the camera, as I had some weird goings on this morning on the drive to college, but I will report back on that when I've had a chance to scan with VCDS tonight

• Like 1

I've got a monumentally bad rattle from the boot, like a loud plastic rattling.  Going to empty everything out thats not bolted down this week and see if it's still there and then it'll be going into the dealers.

Well after about 8 weeks of rattling it's magically stopped so i'm guessing whatever it was has fallen off :D

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Funnily enough I have had the same energy consumption too high message today. But the ignition had just been on for an hour whilst I applied a firmware update to the Columbus. After about 15 minutes driving it went away. I suspect a faulty battery control module in your case, or a battery that is verging on flat.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Funnily enough I have had the same energy consumption too high message today. But the ignition had just been on for an hour whilst I applied a firmware update to the Columbus. After about 15 minutes driving it went away. I suspect a faulty battery control module in your case, or a battery that is verging on flat.

Can't believe your upgrading the Columbus and your new car is sat at the steelers! :rofl:

Can't believe your upgrading the Columbus and your new car is sat at the steelers! :rofl:

Believe it or not, it as been at a dealers for 2 days and they couldn't do the upgrade! This has been going on since July when the idiots at Simpsons replaced the Columbus with one with older firmware so I lost half the voice commands and the DAB logos. Being an honest guy I wanted to make sure when I traded it in that the firmware was upgraded to fix those issues.

Skoda had supplied the dealer with the cheapest SD card I have ever seen to copy the update DVD to - no wonder they were struggling. I offered to have a go, and an hour later BINGO - upgraded.

I seem to have a copy of the 0202 firmware files on my laptop as well, I wonder how that happened :)

Oh - and Simpsons plain lied to me when they said the replacement was 'up to date' and technical wouldn't authorise an update.

Funny how at a different dealer technical quite happily authorised the update as they were known issues.

Moral of the story - never trust a dealer called Simpsons of Colne as they will quite happily lie to you.

• Like 1

BCM fault is what I'm leaning towards.

It can be charging the entire time (70mph+ for 25miles) home, error message there when turned off. Gone if turned back on. And two hours later it'll be back.

It had some "odd" behaviour last time they had it in for diagnosis, and now the SS error again.

Laptop that has VCDS on is broken too, so I can't even investigate myself!

After reading this I am wondering if I should cancel my order, I am a firm believer that Customer Service means exactly that, Service to the Customer. A pretty poor show by dealers and SUK, and does not give potential customers confidence in either!

Can gateway looks after the battery charging and start stop system I thought.

That's where the errors show up in, not sure on what errors there are now.

Damn lenovo and their weak screns that crack while the laptops closed and in a bag!