Might be about to be less than honest with the missus...

Gyp

Get brownie points by admitting she was right about considering the 170 in the first place, then go and do it!

I'd do it the other way round, get it then tell her she was right all along. She'd then have a problem contradicting her original advice, plus you'd also already have the car.........

You could also do some appropriate grovelling... 'oh darling I wish I'd listened to you in the first place'....

I'm feelin' the love guys, but I'm really not sure about the telling the missus she's right thing.

It sets a very ugly precedent.

It's the sort of slippery slope that no 4-wheel drive system's going to help with!

On the other hand, telling her she was right all along, is a win for her AND for you in perhaps more ways than one.....
  • Like 3

Do it!

You can't take this stuff with you. On the honesty option... only you can call that. Certainly been known to have a few new things and not mention it, only to later once 'noticed' be quite calm, even show of the odd dent. Never tried it with a whole car, that would be an awesome trick. Swap it for a roomster ;)

Now I begin to see a small advantage in private plates.

If it all goes to plan, let me know and I'll pop you out a new sticker too... it's the detail that will undo you.

I've mentioned buying a new motorcycle to the missus during the groom's speech at her best friend's wedding. Got away with that one as she couldn't shout.

I parked another immediately outside the front door and hung a Gucci necklace on the handlebars. Got away with that one as she couldn't shout whilst crying with delight.

Passing a Roomster off as a Yeti would take more than the right circumstance or bling based distraction techniques.

And I forgot to tick the sticker box when I renewed, which I was disappointed with at the time, but now it's one less problem to deal with...

If it all goes to plan, let me know and I'll pop you out a new sticker too... it's the detail that will undo you.

You are a bad man Colin. :)

• Like 2

Personally I'd be honest about it. If you want it tell her so. She will be OK as she was originally correct. The running costs will differ by pennies

Hmmm. Even the insurance company appears to be egging me on...

Insurance%20170.jpg

That's the additional premium for the remaining 10 1/2 months of the policy.

OK, anything else i need to be wary of in terms of detail differences?

Looking at the dealer picture of the interior, the only things I can spot are

switchgear.jpg

the 6 speed/4x4 decal on the knob and that the TCS button on this one is the car sliding picture (to match the dash) whereas mine simply says "TCS OFF" on the button. I presume they are the same apart from the picture (i.e. they are swappable)?

Just be upfront with her:

“I should have listened to you... you were right, the 110 isn’t enough!

However the dealer has offered me such a good deal to swap to a 170 4x4 that I would be mad (again) not to take it”  :giggle:

Win win.

• Like 2

Just do it, don't worry about the colour matching, rims etc. and simply ask forgiveness later. If you start up with upgrades vs replacement, you'll never win her over as that's man maths.

A 170 will work less hard than a 110, so you'll not be spending a great deal more on fuel etc. A 2WD 1.6 TDI Passat 'GreenEco'version with low rolling resistance etc. that I once had the misfortune of renting was substantially more thirsty than my AWD Subaru 2.0TD.  

Just posed the question to my missus who is interested in driving but not necessarily in the car as long as I provide her with a fairly new and reliable vehicle.

She reckons she would probably not spot the change although she did say maybe your wife would notice the difference in an overtaking situation when the extra power kicked in, to which I repied that you would say "ahh yes the 1200 engine is spinning a lot freer now it has a few more miles on the clock"

SWMB0 said to me today, "how have we reached that mileage already....?"  Left me thinking, you do notice some things then. Let that be a warning to you...

If you are going to swap don't expect to just drive in with the old one and drive out with the new one on the same plate.  Since DVLA closed the local offices it'll take a good few weeks to get the plate transferred.

• Like 2

If you are going to swap don't expect to just drive in with the old one and drive out with the new one on the same plate. Since DVLA closed the local offices it'll take a good few weeks to get the plate transferred.

As I discovered when I bought the Yeti in January when it took 3 weeks to sort out.

As I typically keep my cars 6+ years, it feels very odd considering changing one I've only had for 6 weeks. Particularly as the reason I'm considering changing it is because I like it so much.

I came clean this afternoon.

The outlaws were visiting for lunch (honey mustard roast ham that had been soaking in strong dry cider overnight as you ask) so I thought we could have a discussion with minimal drama.

I said "I've bought this".

Missus was totally fine with it.

Shame I only came clean as I decided the cost to change was too high and it was unlikely to happen so was just sharing the fun...

• Like 1

Funny thing the dealer said...

Dealer: "Would it help if I sent you some more pictures of the car?"

Me: "Is it identical to the one I've got"

Dealer: "Yes it is"

Me: "Then no"

I came clean this afternoon.

The outlaws were visiting for lunch (honey mustard roast ham that had been soaking in strong dry cider overnight as you ask) so I thought we could have a discussion with minimal drama.

I said "I've bought this".

Missus was totally fine with it.

Shame I only came clean as I decided the cost to change was too high and it was unlikely to happen so was just sharing the fun...

So a non event then, but brave to chance it in front of the in-laws. Trouble is they don't follow any logical thought process so the door can swing either way - open up to allow you through with no resistance or bash you in the face. When I wanted my 1st Octy after having a poxy Clio for over 10 years SWMBO went balistic. Next year I wanted to trade it in for the Blackline so was expecting another battle. She waived the White flag straight away.

• Like 2

So a non event then, but brave to chance it in front of the in-laws. Trouble is they don't follow any logical thought process so the door can swing either way - open up to allow you through with no resistance or bash you in the face. When I wanted my 1st Octy after having a poxy Clio for over 10 years SWMBO went balistic. Next year I wanted to trade it in for the Blackline so was expecting another battle. She waived the White flag straight away.

It's arriving on Friday

• Like 1