I didn't know it could do that!

TBH I wouldn't waste your money, the Nexens I have never tried, but hear generally good things. The Conti's I find not that good in the wet personally.

I prefer to trust thorough tire tests made by Finnish car magazines over word of mouth, and Continentals have been in the top 3 pretty regularly for years.

I've also had Continentals as my summer tires for the last 6 tire sets* so I'm pretty used to how they handle. Paying a little extra for peace of mind doesn't seem that bad.

*Going up generation by generation over the years.

Edited by kallekilponen

Got the new tires today, and they feel great. I'm surprised on how good the feedback through the wheel is.

Noticed another neat feature today. I was listening to a podcast on my phone (via bluetooth) when I came to my destination, turned off the ignition and jumped off. Later when I returned to the car, the podcast started playing from the exact same spot when I drove off. Neat!

Edited by kallekilponen

I have no idea. It came with "NEXEN Nblue HD"s.

Based on your experience, and with our respective car deliveries only a week apart, I was half-expecting my car to be delivered with Nexens. But I was pleasantly surprised today to find Michelins (both summer and winter tyres).

Based on your experience, and with our respective car deliveries only a week apart, I was half-expecting my car to be delivered with Nexens. But I was pleasantly surprised today to find Michelins (both summer and winter tyres).

I Walked around the dealership today waiting for them to swap the tires and it appears it's about a 50/50 chance.

I was happy that the car came with some premium Michelin tyres. Wasn't so happy when one got a shoulder puncture, had to be replaced and was £101 from blackcircles. . .

Had my Vrs for 3 days now and loving it.

The first day i had it, i went down some country lanes in the dark. Thought what the hell is happening, felt like the car was all over place. After a couple of mins i found out the lights follow the steering. I didn't know it did that. Bloody odd feeling when your not expecting it.

Had my Vrs for 3 days now and loving it.

The first day i had it, i went down some country lanes in the dark. Thought what the hell is happening, felt like the car was all over place. After a couple of mins i found out the lights follow the steering. I didn't know it did that. Bloody odd feeling when your not expecting it.

Only works when the lights are set to Auto.

• Like 1

There's another thread on this, you don't need to hold the key in the starter position either. Just switch the ignition on and turn the key to the starter position straight away and let go, when the engine is ready it will start it self. :)

There's another thread on this, you don't need to hold the key in the starter position either. Just switch the ignition on and turn the key to the starter position straight away and let go, when the engine is ready it will start it self. :)

The self start caught me out I only found it out yesterday thats after me having the car for 8mths,very smart indeed.thats the car not me....

The auto headlamp wash is a pain at night every five squirts of screen wash and off it goes sprays lights bonnet everywhere.

Edited by Maxii

The trip reset button in the middle of the dials is a hoot - time set, service and battery condition, and changes depending on whether the ignition is on or not. Not obviously it does this - just keep the button pressed to avoid resetting trip accidentally.

The auto headlamp wash is a pain at night every five squirts of screen wash and off it goes sprays lights bonnet everywhere.

Might want to get that looked at, should be a every 10 washes of the windscreen.
  • Like 1

Might want to get that looked at, should be a every 10 washes of the windscreen.

The Octavia II used to do the headlights every 5 squirts, but the III is every 10 which is much better. You can always temporarily avoid it (if it's safe to do so) by switching to your sidelights, then squirt, then switch back to headlights.

• Like 1

.... You can always temporarily avoid it (if it's safe to do so) by switching to your sidelights, then squirt, then switch back to headlights.

What about daytime with DRL's only?  Does this mean you can screen squirt 11 times and still not give your car a bath?

Must be a way to  disable that function.....

I dont think it sprays automatically in daylight you have to hold your screen wash on to activate it,I thimk thats the way it works.

The DRL's and sidelights don't make any difference, it only washes the headlights when the headlights are actually on. You can squirt to your hearts content if they're not on. 

Edited by deebeedee
  • Like 1

Just noticed a couple of features today, one is useful, the other not so much...

• The rear wiper activates after a delay, so the nozzle has time to spray enough washer fluid, and you don't accidentally end up wiping a dry glass. That's neat!

• If you reverse too fast the parking camera video feed will abruptly turn off. I'm sure it's a safety feature, but how about a warning instead, or at least a warning before it happens? It's hardly safe that you can reverse too fast but when you do that, you'll also have limited visibility...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Haven't checked if it has been mentioned here yet, but I remember how I had to disable front-back ASR (press button once) or disable ASR completely (5 second press) on my previous car.

I tried that on the vRS today, and it works the same! I used to go into the 'car' menu and set ASR to 'sport' through its setup screen, but this is way faster. Just engage the traction button above the shifter for a few seconds and you skip into sport mode, instead of just pressing it once and disabling it completely.

Is it I who has seen wrong, or does the car only light up one reversing light at daytime, and both when its dark?

Quite clever, but unnecessary, if that is the case.

Edited by Gromle

Is it I who has seen wrong, or does the car only light up one reversing light at daytime, and both when its dark?

Quite clever, but unnecessary, if that is the case.

I'll check.

On DSG cars, when you tap the gear lever down in D/S mode, it goes into Sport. If you tap it down again it will go into D mode. Same applies if you use the paddles on the steering wheel and don't want to continue to use them, tap the gear lever down again and it goes into D mode.

Sone quirks I gave noticed

The heated door mirrors are not connected to the rear windscreen heater button, but on the adjustment button, but if you turn it on, no light cones on and I'm not sure Huw you see if the heated mirrors are on or not at night.

When you come to a stop and put it into park n DSG the TSS activates and the engine dies, however if you press the accelerator the engine comes back to life, not sure how the turbos wind down if the power us cut to circulate the oil...

In a traffic jam, slow moving, with two lanes of traffic and a high kerb to your other side, the proximity sensors have a dicky fit and you get the half screen bars around the car showing in the infotainment

• Like 1

Sone quirks I gave noticed

The heated door mirrors are not connected to the rear windscreen heater button, but on the adjustment button, but if you turn it on, no light cones on and I'm not sure Huw you see if the heated mirrors are on or not at night.

When you come to a stop and put it into park n DSG the TSS activates and the engine dies, however if you press the accelerator the engine comes back to life, not sure how the turbos wind down if the power us cut to circulate the oil...

In a traffic jam, slow moving, with two lanes of traffic and a high kerb to your other side, the proximity sensors have a dicky fit and you get the half screen bars around the car showing in the infotainment

You can bring up the Convienience Comsumption on the Maxidot of the Infotainment, that'll tell you whether the heated mirrors are on or not.

Also, pretty sure the heated mirrors activate automatically?? Noticed the other day (nice dry, warm & sunny weather) that it didn't say the heated mirrors were on, despite the switch being on the 'heater' symbol. Another journey after that when it was raining and not as warm, the mirrors heaters were back on again. Will keep my eye on this see if they ARE auto, or if my car was just in a weird mood. :)

And yes the parking sensors can be automatic, but you can turn that feature off in the settings if you don't like it :).