SuperSkoda ALL MODELS Bonnet Strut Group Buy updated 17/08/14

I didn't have any problem with the bonnet being raised, Just the quality of the bolts supplied...

Whilst I didn't snap the ball joint bolt, I agree the fittings are a bit cheap, I used a different bolt to fix the bracket to the wing in the end as I had the same issue of it twisting and the supplied bolt wasn't man enough to tighten sufficiently.

Anyone know how to get the broken ball bolt out of the plastic bit of the strut?

Just had a quick look at the encapsulating device, looks like you may have some joy prising the back section off with a couple of 5mm flat blade screwdrivers.

Hi,

Thanks, I received mine on Thursday.

I've managed to fit it this morning, however although it works fine and I'm happy with the quality (I used the original bolt on the wing) I'm also having the same problem with the bonnet raised slightly. I checked before and after and its definitely higher, as previous it was almost below the wing and now its sitting higher.

I can't see where the problem lies, the back and front of the bonnet look better so it seems to raised part is in the middle.

It's not a deal breaker as it does the job, but it is a shame it sits high. I wonder if it can be adjusted at all? This is a pre-fl octavia VRS 07 plate 2.0 TDI

Exactly what I found mate. No fouling but it just sits higher and I can't quite work out why.

My theory is its because there is a slight natural tendency for the shape of the pre FL bonnet to pull against the hinge. With the bracket fitted the compensating pull from the hinge nuts isn't as strong, because (in my case anyway) the bracket didn't sit quite square.

Mines off now because I had a bump this week and the bonnet needs some work but thats another story.. But I may well leave it off when it gets fixed.

I fitted my Yeti strut this morning, it took all of 15 minutes, excellent fit, all I had to adjust was the foam bumper, trimmed so the strut rests on it. Excellent piece of kit and simple instructions.

It could probably be done on the left side without the bracket supplied in the kit. If you used a couple of suitable washers like body repair ones the ball joint could be mounted to the original hole where the prop comes through. That's where the bracket lines up with anyway.

The bonnet was out of line even with the brackets installed and the gas ram removed, so it certainly isn't the ram causing the misalignment.

Mike

When you say "out of line", do you mean the shut gap or bulge in bonnet?

Mine's on the offside.

The bracket is clear of the bonnet, where the ball fitting is.

It could probably be done on the left side without the bracket supplied in the kit. If you used a couple of suitable washers like body repair ones the ball joint could be mounted to the original hole where the prop comes through. That's where the bracket lines up with anyway.

Are you talking of the wing bracket?

If so, how would this effect the bulge in the bonnet?

For whatever reason I've only just clicked on that you were on about where the wing bracket is and not the hinge one. Yes I know I'm a bell lol :D. I haven't even looked at that but then again I haven't been near the car in daylight since I fitted it to look at properly, I just had a look around the hinge area mainly to make sure it was lined back up. I'll try and get a proper look then tomorrow eh. Maybe mine is raised there but if it is I'll find a way of sorting it one way or another as it will annoy me.

Just manage to have a look and yeah it's about a couple of mm higher on the side the strut is fitted. The only point of contact I can see is where the bracket comes over the bulkhead as its chipped a little of the paint off and made a mark on the scuttle tray. If I get a chance I'll have a play and see if I can find a workaround. Otherwise ill stick a kit on the other side so it matches lol :-D ultimately I don't think it will bug me as much as I thought with it being such a small amount but I'll at least have a go first.

No not the l bracket that's on correctly. The one on the hinge, everywhere else seems to clear so if that part isn't causing the slightly raised bonnet I'm not sure as there aren't any other obvious marks.

88 & Mr G, is there any reason you've both opted for the bonnet ball stud to be within the bonnet bracket?

The vid shows the ball outside the bracket!

To be honest I just thought it looked tidier, as it leaves the ram at less of an angle.

Bonnet bracket, I call it the hinge one as its bolted up with the hinge. I thought the same as Mr G when fitting. Just felt right that way for some reason.