aftermarket wheels thread

Updated the stock wheels. The new ones are Sparco Assetto Gara 18x8. 9,2kg each so pretty light compared to original 18" Gemini.

14215349.t.jpg

Looks nice.

How heavy the Gemini´s were?

We really need to organize a Tampere Briskoda mini-meet :D

• 2 months later...

The inside isn't the problem. It's the outside. I think you gain 22mm extra over stock

Depends on the wheel design, but it seems you can go all the way down to ET35. Although ET42 is already sticking more out than the stock (which is ET51, if memory serves me right), the stock Skoda rims are all relatively narrow, at 7.5" - so... 8.5" is one inch wider, therefore, 25mm wider. Now... ET42+25mm=67 vs the stock 51... an ET35+25mm =60, which is nearer to the stock 51.

Actually, and assuming that the 25mm are equally divided from the center point of the wheel, that is 12,5mm to each side.

So...

ET42+12,5mm=54,5 and ET35+12,5mm=47,5 ...dunno, maybe both will fit, but it really depends on where the center of the wheel is - as in if the face is more concave or flat, etc.

• Like 1

I have been using 8.5x17 alloys, ET50 with 225/45/17 tyres, If that helps you anyhow.

The inside of the rim was very close  to the suspension but stil safe. So 8 mm more to outside, in your case, should be even safer.

Instead, on the front, the inside of the rim was rubbing to the end of the steering arm; when I turned max. left or right

For more info just look on this thread at page 7, post 187-189. I do not know how to describe it more accurate in english.

That guy, Cip, it is me, but after there were made some changes on the forum I could not log in again with my old account. so...  :)

Depends on the wheel design, but it seems you can go all the way down to ET35. Although ET42 is already sticking more out than the stock (which is ET51, if memory serves me right), the stock Skoda rims are all relatively narrow, at 7.5" - so... 8.5" is one inch wider, therefore, 25mm wider. Now... ET42+25mm=67 vs the stock 51... an ET35+25mm =60, which is nearer to the stock 51.

Actually, and assuming that the 25mm are equally divided from the center point of the wheel, that is 12,5mm to each side.

So...

ET42+12,5mm=54,5 and ET35+12,5mm=47,5 ...dunno, maybe both will fit, but it really depends on where the center of the wheel is - as in if the face is more concave or flat, etc.

It dont depend on wheel design. And you dont have to assume anything.

ET is wheel offset, and that is just what you need to know - and ARE telling you how the wheel is designed.

ET51 means that the centerline of the rim is 51mm offset from the hub mounting surface.

Positive ET means that more of the wheel is on the inside of the hub.

If you use a rim that is 1" wider than stock, you need an ET that is 13 lower than stock if you want the inside of the rim to be in the same place

• Like 4

Correct. Nothing to do with design. In fact et42 will bring the wheel out 22mm yet only 3mm gained on inside.

Above calculations are bit out sorry. Plenty of online tools that show this. I did the calculations. Just wondered if anyone has run that size

Correct. Nothing to do with design. In fact et42 will bring the wheel out 22mm yet only 3mm gained on inside.

Above calculations are bit out sorry. Plenty of online tools that show this. I did the calculations. Just wondered if anyone has run that size

I would be surprised if they were correct :)

...but that is the point of a forum - to discuss and learn, and I will gladly learn from the discussion that followed :)

Depends on the wheel design,

It dont depend on wheel design. And you dont have to assume anything.

ET is wheel offset, and that is just what you need to know - and ARE telling you how the wheel is designed.

Correct. Nothing to do with design.

Wheel design can actually make a difference, as a wheel with either thicker spokes or ones that curve a lot may not clear the calliper despite the ET being ‘right’ for the car.

But it is worth considering still, several Octavia owners (MKII IIRC... but it’s relevant to any car) have found this out, take two identical sized wheels but a different design, one fits and the other catches the calliper, so simply saying 'X’ size wheel will 100% fit may not be the case with all aftermarket wheels... buyer beware!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Might as well add my own on here too:

31140096951_faf46051cf_b.jpg

Winters on vRS 230 by Rob E, on Flickr

these are my winters - 18x8 ET45 ATS Emotion.

No idea on the weight but they are cast so probably similar weight to the OEM wheels. ATS are a german company so all their stuff will be TUV compliant I expect, so quality is as per OEM. Only watch out if you get a set of these is that they need conical seat bolts (OEM radius bolts won't fit) and spigot rims needed to bring the centre bore down to vAG size, both supplied with the wheels - main reason for buying them was price - less than £100 a corner.

oh, and they're super easy to clean which is what you want for winter wheels IMO.

Tyres are 225/40 18 Goodyear Ultragrip 8 Performance winters with 92y rating.

Edited by rob_e
  • Like 3