What annoyed you today at work?

Hyphons

Having to wait an hr for a track possession then walking 3/4mile in the dark with 30odd kg of gear on my shoulders. Set up laser begin looking for start point of my survey section. Loud bang behind - tripod with 2.5k laser beacon on the geound with said laser in shi t all over the place.. pack up all gear and back to van... what a crappy night last night was! And have a lovely repair bill to sort out with the hire company... great!

• Like 2

Having to wait an hr for a track possession then walking 3/4mile in the dark with 30odd kg of gear on my shoulders. Set up laser begin looking for start point of my survey section. Loud bang behind - tripod with 2.5k laser beacon on the geound with said laser in shi t all over the place.. pack up all gear and back to van... what a crappy night last night was! And have a lovely repair bill to sort out with the hire company... great!

are you one of them dudes who look like they are just taking random measurements :)

• Like 1

Might be... not all the time though. Im a civil engineer working for infrastructure maintenance (and upgrade & renewal) for irish rail. So i do track designing and bridge renewals. Platform redesigns, drainage design and installation. As well as project managing boundary fence upgrade contracts, access imrpovements... quite a wide variety of stuff actually! :D

well yesterday I had to sit through our monthly Teambrief. Utter codswallop from the Civil Service. Every month after it on the 50m drive home I think WTF am I doing there.

well yesterday I had to sit through our monthly Teambrief. Utter codswallop from the Civil Service. Every month after it on the 50m drive home I think WTF am I doing there.

Let me guess, a meeting historically scheduled by top brass to organise things, that is now not really needed so just an exercise to fill the time allocated to have said meeting?

If the civil service were a private business, the shareholders would sack everyone.

Having that much to do, I could do with employing someone, but knowing what a pain in the arse employing someone is.

there are loads of people in kos that would love a job right now ;) and you dont have to even pay decent money  :devil:

Not work related - but this annoyed me today:

started to unload my humungous weekly shop onto checkout belt, only for the customer behind me to start doing exactly the same thing at the same checkout leaving a few inches for me to place the bulk of my groceries - wtf - grrrrrrr.

started to unload my humungous weekly shop onto checkout belt, only for the customer behind me to start doing exactly the same thing at the same checkout leaving a few inches for me to place the bulk of my groceries - wtf - grrrrrrr.

Time for a huge coughing fit all over the checkout, methinks  :D

Edited by mender

How about this....

Last weekend of half term, agreed to work:

Friday 2200-0300 for £7.50ph

then 

Saturday 2100-0600 Sunday for £7.50ph, having to sleep on the coach midnight-0400.

Working nights means sleeping days, so got up late Saturday, spent ages preparing bedding and stuff to stay on coach, worked out the route, etc.

Arranged Sunday around me sleeping until late morning, missing going out so booked a paint job in as the family will have gone out.

Had a few hours with the kids and started psyching myself up for a night drive, ready to leave the house 2030ish,

7pm missed a call, then got a text-job cancelled.

Whole weekend wrecked, could not get to sleep all night as slept in day and was psyched and fed ready to drive all night, slept half of today and had to do the job I booked in too.

Plus no pay.

Damn it.

• Like 1

I would have waited until their shopping ended up at the counter and then proceeded to hand the items still in the trolley one by one to the assistant so that things take ages- if the person says anything then unload a verbal barrage on them!

Does diy at home count at work?? Why do manufacturrs supply utterly crap screws with appliances?? Spent the day plumbing a new T90Z to the tank - had to replace the mains fed one as our water pressures too unpredictable and a pump costs more than a shower unit. All going fine til mounting the head rail - and one of the screw heads just rounded 80%of the way into wall. No reason just sheared. Took 15mims with a steel bit to grind the head out enough to snap the head off and get it out and replace it with a decent spax... grrr.. now have to bleed the hot and cold feeds. But at least we have 2 pumped showers again.. first time in 4yrs since the first shower died...

Ending up with 9 boxes of stock labelled "bracelets" :)

Yeah, that's going to be loom bands or out of date charity wristbands :(

Opening one and finding jewellary boxes B)

... that are empty :swear:

... but look to sell well on ebay :whew:

That ten minutes was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster :D

Edited by StevesTruck
  • Like 1

How about this....

Last weekend of half term, agreed to work:

Friday 2200-0300 for £7.50ph

then 

Saturday 2100-0600 Sunday for £7.50ph, having to sleep on the coach midnight-0400.

Working nights means sleeping days, so got up late Saturday, spent ages preparing bedding and stuff to stay on coach, worked out the route, etc.

Arranged Sunday around me sleeping until late morning, missing going out so booked a paint job in as the family will have gone out.

Had a few hours with the kids and started psyching myself up for a night drive, ready to leave the house 2030ish,

7pm missed a call, then got a text-job cancelled.

Whole weekend wrecked, could not get to sleep all night as slept in day and was psyched and fed ready to drive all night, slept half of today and had to do the job I booked in too.

Plus no pay.

Damn it.

The £7.50 a hour is the worrying bit why so low?

Rural area, buses, etc-however they do pay extra hours for anti-social times so it does even out.

It does work out well as I get a very good flat rate for schools which can take 35 mins only and I get some amazing tips and perks on some trips (eg £60 of beers/ciders given to me on one trip), plus I get a fair bit of work for my main job by meeting extra people-and I get the use of a workshop, pit, jetwash etc when I need it which helps.

Some buses and trips I would pay them to do as they are such fun too!  Also get to take family on some trips so get free days out in London or Zoos etc which is great.

I love the job and it helps me overpay my mortgage by adding it to my own self-employment which can be boom or bust depending on weather and season.  Doing a morning school run gets me up and about early, I then get on and paint cars until the afternoon school run when I have a welcome sit down whilst the paint dries, then do the final polishing bit and hand the car back.   When the kids are asleep at weekends, I do the odd night run for a/wages b/tips or perks c/ meeting people d/for the fun of it!

The bigger picture is that it all works out that I see the kids for breakfast, see them when they get in from school and am around most of the time they are home and awake, whilst still paying huge bills and doing work that I enjoy with no boss and no commuting!

• Like 3

Pretty much standard for bus work in our area.  I was working for one of the Nationals and they will be on £10 an hour next year but smaller coach and bus companies pay peanuts.  I am lucky because I have a Police pension but I really don't know how folk with families manage other than with tax credits.  I always thought when I was driving a double decker with up to 97 passengers that the responsibility far outweighs the reward.

• Like 2

Pretty much standard for bus work in our area.  I was working for one of the Nationals and they will be on £10 an hour next year but smaller coach and bus companies pay peanuts.  I am lucky because I have a Police pension but I really don't know how folk with families manage other than with tax credits.  I always thought when I was driving a double decker with up to 97 passengers that the responsibility far outweighs the reward.

Yeah we are one of the highest payed bus drivers in the uk :) we actually got triple pay on monday just gone because of the bank holiday and a proposed train strike so it went from time and half to that :D

Pretty much standard for bus work in our area. I was working for one of the Nationals and they will be on £10 an hour next year but smaller coach and bus companies pay peanuts. I am lucky because I have a Police pension but I really don't know how folk with families manage other than with tax credits. I always thought when I was driving a double decker with up to 97 passengers that the responsibility far outweighs the reward.

Gotta say. I did think the money would be about £12 an hour as a bus driver.

But then that was a guess.

Good job police do good pensions eh (:

One of laydees at work has very unpleasant perfume on today. Not sure which one but it's 'orrible.

It was wafting around yesterday as well.

Can't say anything without causing gross offence.

Hopefully it's a small bottle.

One of laydees at work has very unpleasant perfume on today. Not sure which one but it's 'orrible.

It was wafting around yesterday as well.

Can't say anything without causing gross offence.

Hopefully it's a small bottle.

My pet hate-especially when out for a meal, it puts me right off and makes me feel sick!

My pet hate-especially when out for a meal, it puts me right off and makes me feel sick!

It's an aversion from childhood when my mum would ladle on some overpowering flowery stuff then we'd be trapped in the car with it.

Makes my stomach turn just remembering it.

• Like 1