What about the things that annoy you?

First 1000 miles: Octy 1.4 150PS Manual Estate SE L.

35.6 average since new MPG with 79 'green' driving rating - I cannot get over 39 mpg on long runs. Less than I was hoping.

Standard headlights are 'orrible.  Too orange, too short throw and far too weak and the cut off is abrupt with little light graduation.  I need to change these as they are a nightmare on B roads at night.

Second gear is rather long, in that I am finding that I have to select frist gear even when rolling up to 10mph to get the engine to pick up.  Annoying in traffic.

Reverse gear and sometimes first gear are diffcult to select - needs a quick 'any gear - foot off clutch - foot on clutch - back into reverse / first' shimmy to select.  Been doing this since day one, not got better.  Maybe needs a checkup later.

Engine; whilst being ok in the mid-range (typical small displacement turbo) lacks any meaningful power low down or high up in the rev range.  I'm used to a lot more power, so i'll live with this.  Fully loaded with passengers, I need another 100HP!

Occassional 'Crashy' rear suspension - typical of a live axle setup.

Park assist is best left to the grannies.  Needs a gang plank to get to the kerb. Won't fit into anything that a 90 year old grandmother couldn't fit into herself.

Front assist - has scared the pants off me twice by slamming on my brakes whilst overtaking a turning car. Have modified my driving behaviour now :)  (in this car)

Smartlink - I'm not paying £150 to activate that! 

Love the car though - all small niggles that I don't think about often. In retrospect I wish I'd ordered a bigger engine and better headlights.  Everything else is great. 

At a steady (GPS true) 110 kph (our speed limit so about 68 mph) I get 5.7 l/100 (49 mpg). That is on dead flat roads, no wind, and 20 deg C ambient temp.

There are lots of factors that will affect consumption, but a few that will improve it.

There might be something wrong with your car....or your driving technique. It is quite easy to waste fuel on a relatively light throttle and it took me a couple of months to get the hang of it after a diesel. You were used to a more powerful car. If you are trying to achieve the same performance with a smaller engine, albeit in a lighter car, then economy will inevitably suffer.

Look at "The Man With No Aim" signature for proof of that, but even he claims to get good economy when the family are with him ( not that often)

I agree that second gear is a little long and I also think that 6th is a trifle short.

It is a little unfair to expect much power below 1500rpm but then it is strong up to about 3500 rpm, nothing much beyond 4500rpm. Because of the long 2nd gear you complained about you should be going at a fair speed anyway.

Halogen headlights are not great, especially in the wet, but apparently can be improved with Osram Nightbreaker (or equivalent). The Mk 2 headlights were worse.

Your notchy gearbox does sound particularly bad I would get that seen to asap. I would not be able to live with what you describe.

First 1000 miles: Octy 1.4 150PS Manual Estate SE L.

35.6 average since new MPG with 79 'green' driving rating - I cannot get over 39 mpg on long runs. Less than I was hoping.

Have to say i am a bit disappointed with my mpg too. I have vrs TDI and admittedly use the car during the week for the school run and then much longer trips at the weekend.

My TDI is averaging 40mpg after 2000 miles :( and that is me trying, my last car 2.2 diesel was much better at 45mpg, I would have thought it would be better.

Edited by Iamholam

Well, both my old Bora and now the octy was smart enough designed to not do that.

On the Mondeo they were simply not clever.

Bascially they are both doing what they are meant to do, but in slightly different ways. One starting later than the other.

Sorry, I blame the driver :devil:

Bascially they are both doing what they are meant to do, but in slightly different ways. One starting later than the other.

Sorry, I blame the driver :devil:

And the lazy driver blames the design ;)

Have to say i am a bit disappointed with my mpg too. I have vrs TDI and admittedly use the car during the week for the school run and then much longer trips at the weekend.

My TDI is averaging 40mpg after 2000 miles :( and that is me trying, my last car 2.2 diesel was much better at 45mpg, I would have thought it would be better.

The engine gets better the more miles it has under its belt. I'm hoping it doesn't get noisier like the last one did however.

• Like 1

Turn on the rear wiper and it washes the screen as the difference between wipe and wash wipe is so sensitive!

Why do car manufacturers not provide a button for a single rear wipe? I hardly ever use the rear wiper on intermittent because it's too frequent, so I always have to turn it on and then straight off again.

• Like 1

Can't remember now, but I think so. My first O3 had them fold out on ignition. There was a lot of discussion at the time on the Golf VII forums, and the coding and adaptations were identical between modules.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So it was on the old cars or it is on the newer ones?

I dont know if my columbus has ADHD.

If I press any radio station they light up a green surrounding, but its only the radio station in the middle that stays green the otherones just fades out in like 4-5secs

Fold out on open is on the newer. Only the early models were fold out on ignition. But they could have changed it yet again ......

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yup - mine fold out on the key. Also, if you unlock and then lock again quickly, they wont fold again!

No easy way (I've found anyway) to disable opening the electric boot from key - not nice to see an open car because of key in pocket :-(

Zero steering feel or feedback. Such a shame for an otherwise accomplished motor.

Bonnet pull as has been mentioned before.

Harsh ride on certain roads. other cars in the house are Mondeo ST(07) and (00) Scoob and they really show the Skoda how to do ride/handling i'm afraid.

Grip..mo idea what the clever diff is about as it seems im spinning up all over the place..

Love the engine and throttle response compared to 320d I had before..miles better.

Yup - mine fold out on the key. Also, if you unlock and then lock again quickly, they wont fold again!

Yep my O3 does this. If you unlock then lock v quickly the mirrors unfold but then dont retract. Think its the same if you lock then unlock v quickly they'll retract but then not fold out again....however you press unlock again and they do.

Ive had two Mk7 GTD's also and cant replicate the issue on either, the mirrors fold or unfold depending on the locking status and cant be fooled....strange given both cars are likely using the same or at least very similar door mirror controllers.

Early cars used to have the mirrors unfold on ignition on, same as Mk7 Golf. They both later changed to unfold on unlock...the behaviour cant be changed by coding as far as I know...its as a result of different door mirror controller hardware being installed.

Second gear is rather long, in that I am finding that I have to select first gear even when rolling up to 10mph to get the engine to pick up. Annoying in traffic

This is real pain given the complete absence of any torque below about 1500 rpm. I find I need to stay in first for much longer than in other cars to avoid labouring when I change up to second, and having to change down to first makes it more difficult to drive smoothly at low speeds. I'd originally blamed the turbo for this and not realised the gear ratio problem until you pointed it out.

Smartlink - I'm not paying £150 to activate that!

I think you've got the standard satnav? For me SmartLink was a much better option than shelling out £750 for the not very good Amundsen. I'm very happy with it.

I'm also happy with my 1.2 l 110 PS engine. It's got plenty of power for everything except dodgy overtaking manoeuvres on single carriageways, when it is merely adequate.

Yep my O3 does this. If you unlock then lock v quickly the mirrors unfold but then dont retract. Think its the same if you lock then unlock v quickly they'll retract but then not fold out again....however you press unlock again and they do.

Ive had two Mk7 GTD's also and cant replicate the issue on either, the mirrors fold or unfold depending on the locking status and cant be fooled....strange given both cars are likely using the same or at least very similar door mirror controllers.

Early cars used to have the mirrors unfold on ignition on, same as Mk7 Golf. They both later changed to unfold on unlock...the behaviour cant be changed by coding as far as I know...its as a result of different door mirror controller hardware being installed.

I''ve just had a my16 rental car with kessy and if you unlock on the remote the mirrors fold out, if you unlock by keyless (grabb the handle) the mirror doesnt fold out, later when you press start button they fold out.

Can it be somthing with kessy?

I''ve just had a my16 rental car with kessy and if you unlock on the remote the mirrors fold out, if you unlock by keyless (grabb the handle) the mirror doesnt fold out, later when you press start button they fold out.

Can it be somthing with kessy?

I have Kessy and they fold our when unlocking the door at the handle.

Well after nearly 2 yrs of ownership, and having got used to most of the cars quirks and accepted the ride and paint quality, the first thing to really really bug me. A lot of people have mentioned before how voice control is poor. Id never noticed this. It nearly always worked a treat. My main use for it was to set a new destination on the sat nav once underway. Never a problem before. However now whenever I ask for 'New Destination', 90% of the time it thinks im asking for 'Destination Map'. WTF! Miss Amundsens hearing is getting worse, and she's only 2yrs old!!

• Like 1

Have never used satnav and so far haven't got lost, even in the USA!!

I check out the destination on Google Maps or Yahoo Maps, work out where the destination house (or whatever) is from the nearest main road, and just check out ordinary maps to see main road route from my place to town I'm going to. When, a couple of times, I've been a passenger in a car being driven with satnav I have to say it drives me bonkers (or, perhaps even more bonkers than usual !!!)

However I can see it would be useful when doing an unexpected and unplanned drive to somewhere new to you.

Hi gents.

Some things that bother me on my Octavia III Combi:

1) Comfort. It's not the most comfortable car I've driven, not even close. The fact that it came with a stock 17-inch wheel with 45 profile doesn't help either. I've been tweaking with the tyre pressure and feel it's slightly better now.

2) Interior noise. I think the engine noise is too loud. Also, on highway, I think the wind noise is also above what it should be. I've been thinking on making some noise reduction, maybe applying some dynamat on the wheel wells and boot, I've read that can help, I need to search the forum for some clues.

3) Colour. That's right, I have a light grey car, probably the dullest color to have :| . I had a good deal when I bought the car, if I went to choose the colour, it would have been much more expensive. This is something that I need to get used to. I have chromed window trims and roof rails and they give a nice touch, but I sometimes feels the chrome effect gets lost with all that grey color around...

I got a white hatch because it the only one they could get to me by when I wanted it. I thought it would be difficult to manage but I am amazed at how easy it is to clean and also how (relatively) clean it keeps. Friends all like it, and the non petrolheads can't believe it's a Skoda.