vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

43 minutes ago, Nandovee said:

So I pick up my VRS on sat. And will be driving it from Manchester to Glasgow. After speaking to Skoda they said it looks to be a good one that has bee. Well serviced and had the warranty work done. So my question is what should I be looking for or doing when I get it home ? Had one owner. And 60k miles. My gut tells me it will be ok. However just wanting extra reassurance. I must admit I'm excited to get.my hands on it. Will definitely miss my petrol drinking astra tho :( 

Gene pool how many miles has yours done. I take it you purchased extended warranty. Did you opt for named parts or comprehensive.

Mine was at 24k miles when I bought it 18 months ago, now on 38k. Bought from a Skoda main dealer as approved used and came with 24 month warranty.

17 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Having had Breather Mod and Software Update usually means it was using oil, or the Dealership advised preventative work.

It was Warranty, not Service Campaign.

Many had no issues after that.

TPMS button beside hand brake / charging socket.

Ignition on once tyre pressures done. Hold down the button, symbol comes up on dash and pings, job done.

Full component warranty for 12 months. Job Done.

Any issues in the first days, 4 weeks best find them.  

Cheers man. Your Skoda knowledge is top notch :) you an ex or current Skoda mechanic or something? Fingers crossed she's a good one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so another update on mine, went for another consumption test today to see if the previous modifications had fixed the issue. The answer being no, using less oil than previous but still too high. New engine time, or at least they are going to put the claim through to the warranty company.

Not sure if the right step would be to continue down this road or seek a way out of the car though.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2017 at 19:56, GenePoolReject said:

Ok so another update on mine, went for another consumption test today to see if the previous modifications had fixed the issue. The answer being no, using less oil than previous but still too high. New engine time, or at least they are going to put the claim through to the warranty company.

Not sure if the right step would be to continue down this road or seek a way out of the car though.

How much oil is your vRS now using after the modifications failed to fix the issue and how come your six year old car is still under warranty?

"Put the claim through to the warranty company".

Simply Clever is buying a Warranty when the Manufacturers 3 or 5 year one expires.

It used to be just with the CAVE engine and now a smart move with the CTHE the way they are now starting to have premature issues.

40 minutes ago, SeaGoat said:

How much oil is your vRS now using after the modifications failed to fix the issue and how come your six year old car is still under warranty?

They never told me actual figures, just said it's consumption had improved but still more than it should be. The car came with a 24m approved used warranty when I bought it.

• Like 1

This may seem like a daft question but why are people so worked up about a VRS using half a litre of oil every 600 miles?

The cost is less than a fiver and you are probably putting in at least £75 worth of petrol in that time.

I ask because a friend of mine who owns a Subaru Impreza laughed when I mentioned it to her.

Do people get that bothered by using 0.5 litres in 600 miles if that is where it ends at, that sadly is unlikely to be where it stops at.

Some people got to 1 litre in 600 miles, and a spark plug burning up & valves burning out and and then a gubbed engine.

It bothered the VW Group enough that the upgraded the engines / components and the Software and introduced the CTHE because the failure rate was high, 

now CTHE's are going the same way.

So if you have one that just used 0.5 litres in 1000km of normal unstressed use and that is as bad as it gets then good on you, 

if it used less then fine, that was how it should be, not 3.6 litres in and 8 litres topped up between services then another 3.6 litres put in.

Not just 1.4TSI Twinchargers, also Euro 5 1.8 & 2.0 TSI's

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/434854-help-skoda-yeti-using-too-much-oil 

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 3

2zp70ie.jpgWell I'm about 1500 miles into my VRS ownership. Checked oil level yesterday and, still at top of dipstick. So I look to have a good one :) *breathes sigh of relief. And I just done the Monte Carlo grill mod with new style badge. And upgraded rear badge also. Loving the car so far. 

On 05/06/2017 at 19:23, Awayoffski said:

So when stone cold top of the Crosshatch.

Down the cross hatch too low when cold.

post-86161-0-06277400-1446204589.jpg

post-86161-0-17131500-1446204596.jpg

Is it down on the 2nd pic when hot or the next day after a journey ?

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would pop in, not been logging on for a while as don't like new layout of the forum.

On other platforms I've been noticing more and more "new to them vRS" owners ie the original car is now moving onto yet another owner who of course is worried about the oil consumption issues. I've urged everyone of them to check the handbook/ service schedule and the boot floor for signs of the sticker or notes confirming if the engine was ever changed or not, and to commence a monitoring exercise on  their oil use,

What I really wanted to do by popping in however was reassert some confidence in the wee motor. Our engine was changed on 26 September 2014 @26k due to using a litre of oil every 700 miles or so. Our new engine has now covered 36k and has not used a drop between services. That is, as George suggests above, how it should be. So for the "new" owners, if you've got the stickers and/ or notes verifying engine change then all should be good, enjoy the wee car.

Hot has about 0.5 litres less in the sump.

If not using any oil then good, but top of crosshatch hot after stopping 4 minutes or so is good, and cold that would be just up the flat part above the cross hatch normally.

Knowing that the cold level is good before setting off on long trips is pretty handy.

Knowing that your car does not drink oil is best of all.

Enjoy it.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 2

Yes it's a big relief. It's a great wee motor I must admit. Good mpg during week on my drive to and from work, and then I let it off the leash at the weekends :). Will be getting those milotec sideskirts i got painted and fitted over next month or so. I'll get some pics up once done.

What a difference it can make to TSI / TFSI engines just not using VW's recommended Long Life oils and never being on Variable / Flexible servicing so not needing to use 5w 30 FS LL3 on Euro 5 or even Euro 6 Petrol Engines just use what is the recommended or suitable oil for Fixed Servicing..

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/437317-5w-40-oil-n0-more-ticking-on-tsi-engine 

• Like 1