What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

Enjoy it?  I loved it!  Great to be back out on the TEX and blow the cobwebs away.  I think since I have been back into biking this last few years there is seldom a month goes by without having at least one trip out.  That has done January and another trip out tomorrow for the tyres and to put some miles on them.  It is good to have a few like minded souls to ride with even if the ones with the Harley dropped out when they saw the weather.  I could not cope with having to clean every inch of the bike each and every time I go out and it was only cleaned off yesterday because it is going to the garage tomorrow and didn't want them to have to deal with all that crap when changing the tyres.

Not had a tank bag at all and don't like the look of them or the thought of that great big thing stuck in front of me.  I can see the appeal but not for me so other than that can't help.

Enjoy it? I loved it! Great to be back out on the TEX and blow the cobwebs away. I think since I have been back into biking this last few years there is seldom a month goes by without having at least one trip out. That has done January and another trip out tomorrow for the tyres and to put some miles on them. It is good to have a few like minded souls to ride with even if the ones with the Harley dropped out when they saw the weather. I could not cope with having to clean every inch of the bike each and every time I go out and it was only cleaned off yesterday because it is going to the garage tomorrow and didn't want them to have to deal with all that crap when changing the tyres.

Not had a tank bag at all and don't like the look of them or the thought of that great big thing stuck in front of me. I can see the appeal but not for me so other than that can't help.

It really is nice to blow the cobwebs off isnt it. When you havent been on the bike then go for a spin, its so refreshing and leaves you in such a good mood afterwards doesnt it haha.

Yeah good of you to wash the dirt off. Id do the same too. Not least because hands rubbed all over dirt causes scratches, and im abit OCD :D.

I've had tank bags before. Only small ones as thats all im interested in. I dont want to struggle around it or whatever. Just a small one to put the odd thing in. Never had a Givi Tank Lock one though. It seems a good idea mind. No awkward straps or magnets to scratch the tank.

Today I unburied the bike, removed cover, inserted key, turned to the on position and........ NOFINK! Never seen something so dead in all my life, bloody odo won't even display numbers. Pillion seat off, main seat unbolted etc and battery on board tester shows no sign of life.... Lithium no drain for 1 year my hole! The bike has nothing, no heated grips no alarm not 1 after market electrical accessory etc Old lead acid which was FUBAR'd still would last a few months ffs without being too low to start let aloe dead! 

Now I have no charger for this type of battery and faced with is it totalled because it's SO low now or what? Splash out on an expensive charger to go with my collection of other ones and see, or go sod it and buy a new lead acid one which I have chargers here for and give up on it? My plan is I will see if the shop I got it from who sell the chargers will charge it for me under the guise of wanting to see if it's worth while me buying a charger? Winter temps may be the reason, but it's inside the bike under thick covers in a shed which is sheltered etc. Gets cold but not silly cold and has been the warmest winter since Jesus's dad fried all the dinosaurs that were not in his autobiography..... 

Poor bike though.... I feel such a CHIMP! Total pansy all winter so far not seen a wheel turn in anger, what has become of me??? :( 

• Like 1

Today I unburied the bike, removed cover, inserted key, turned to the on position and........ NOFINK! Never seen something so dead in all my life, bloody odo won't even display numbers. Pillion seat off, main seat unbolted etc and battery on board tester shows no sign of life.... Lithium no drain for 1 year my hole! The bike has nothing, no heated grips no alarm not 1 after market electrical accessory etc Old lead acid which was FUBAR'd still would last a few months ffs without being too low to start let aloe dead! 

Now I have no charger for this type of battery and faced with is it totalled because it's SO low now or what? Splash out on an expensive charger to go with my collection of other ones and see, or go sod it and buy a new lead acid one which I have chargers here for and give up on it? My plan is I will see if the shop I got it from who sell the chargers will charge it for me under the guise of wanting to see if it's worth while me buying a charger? Winter temps may be the reason, but it's inside the bike under thick covers in a shed which is sheltered etc. Gets cold but not silly cold and has been the warmest winter since Jesus's dad fried all the dinosaurs that were not in his autobiography..... 

Poor bike though.... I feel such a CHIMP! Total pansy all winter so far not seen a wheel turn in anger, what has become of me??? :(

Bury your head in shame and slap yourself around the face with a wet fish!

• Like 1

Guarantee with the battery? I would be asking questions of the supplier.  So I guess you cannot use an optimate with them then?  As mine gets out regularly I don't bother with chargers and just ride it but some of us are tough cookies you know. :D   In fact off out this morning to meet up with some cake eating RATS. :clap: 

• Like 1

Guarantee with the battery? I would be asking questions of the supplier.  So I guess you cannot use an optimate with them then?  As mine gets out regularly I don't bother with chargers and just ride it but some of us are tough cookies you know. :D   In fact off out this morning to meet up with some cake eating RATS. :clap:

Probably more to do with eating cakes than riding bikes LOL.

Iremember back in the days of my vfr750 I could leave that all winter from the end of September until the spring when I taxed it and the battery was strong enough to start it no problem. Then came the Blade with its poxy small one and my first experience of battery issues and subsequent optimate purchase. Today manufacturers fit the cheapest smallest battery they can get away with and that includes cars too. The vfr's battery was still going strong when I sold it after 5 years and SWMBO's Seat is now over 8 years old and still on the same one. The vRS has a smaller capacity battery and now after less than 3 1/2 years it struggles sometimes even though its garaged.

I replaced / retired the factory battery in the Octy last year as it was starting to slow a bit turning over, it was 14 years old :D I have random chargers as I used to go away a lot for work and bike would have to hibernate for 4-6 months at a time alarmed bikes battery disconnected and no dramas starting, non alarmed just left as was and no bother starting. Got battery on 7th April last year but don't have receipt anymore will have to see what the score is if I get a chance to go to the shop in the next couple of months............

Still a bit of a nuisance though especially if you bought it in the strength of it lasting OK without having to be trickle charged.  I understand for me it is far easier as I am not at work and if the weather looks ok I can pop out on the bike for a few hours.  Having to work can seriously harm your bike time!  I am constantly reminded on the RAT facebook group if a handful of us organise a mid week run out we generally receive abuse from those suffering from the 'W' word!

I would be back out today if it were not so windy.  40 - 50mph with gusts of higher in places do not make for a nice ride.  I am itching to get back out there and put some more miles on the tyres.  I 'think' I managed about a 100 yesterday but never checked.

• Like 1

Still a bit of a nuisance though especially if you bought it in the strength of it lasting OK without having to be trickle charged. I understand for me it is far easier as I am not at work and if the weather looks ok I can pop out on the bike for a few hours. Having to work can seriously harm your bike time! I am constantly reminded on the RAT facebook group if a handful of us organise a mid week run out we generally receive abuse from those suffering from the 'W' word!

I would be back out today if it were not so windy. 40 - 50mph with gusts of higher in places do not make for a nice ride. I am itching to get back out there and put some more miles on the tyres. I 'think' I managed about a 100 yesterday but never checked.

Go on. Go for a ride. You know you want to ;):D.

Winds no good for going fast... But it makes a challenging ride. Gotta man handle the beast haha.

Yeah been proper blowy this week coupled with some heavy showers has been interesting ! To be fair the k13 handles cross winds really well. Cant decide whether its the low slung engine or the hossack front end.

Need to think about another set of boots soon and a service.

Love riding all year round.

• Like 1

Wheyyyyy, got the bike out today. Was helping out work with some overtime so went straight to town on the bike, tried to put it inside the travel shop but the woman who runs it wasnt having any of it :D Was nice to get out on it again though, hopefully going to the bike show next week in London with a mate and my dad. 

Also got a settlement figure on the finance thats on it, hopefully have that all cleared by the end of the month. 

• Like 1

Today I looked at it while tinkering in the shed with utter disappointment :( Bike shop I need to take battery back to today as it's my only day where my work doesn't conflict with their opening times, have decided to close the shop and go to a bike show lol Ordered a good old fashioned lead acid replacement instead to save anymore wasted time, I wanted out on the bike today and would have commuted on it tomorrow :( 

Well. I decided i wanted another tankbag. I had an Oxford magnetic one on the SV which wont fit the VFR (and i magnetic ones aren't ideal are they) but i liked it because it was easy. I dont like having the pannier rack on all the time because it looks pig ugly and is soo much better looking with it all off and the pillion grabrails removed and the infills put in place. So because of this, it takes me about 15 minutes to put the rack on and sort it all out. 

I wanted something quicker that i could just pop on when ive got small items to carry. Also to put things in that i need quick, rather than fumbling around in pockets and in the panniers when im off on a trip. A tankbag being ideal as i can keep an eye on it all the time and things like my Passport, change for the toll, wallet and phone can go in. 

Yesterday i went to J&S in Northwich and bought a Givi XS307 Tanklock bag. 

http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/xs307-xstream-tanklock-tank-bag-needs-easylock.html

Seems really good actually. Easy to clip on/off to refuel. Stands off the tank a little so it doesn't scratch. Big enough to be useful but not so big that i cant see where im going. Water resistant and comes with a waterproof cover. 

Does have an extra strap which i wasnt sure about at first. It goes sort of underneath the frame at the front. It wasn't ideal to find a place for it to go. I read online that quite a few people seem to cut this off and just rely on the tank-lock system, which i was tempted to do for a few minutes. However, then i thought about losing my Passport, wallet, Iphone etc etc at whatever speed down the M1 and didn't fancy that idea, to be honest. So i took a bit more time and found a nice way for it to clip in. Quick enough to do, doesn't get in the way of anything and stops the bag from flying off if the tanklock somehow comes undone, which apparently they don't but one fixing point is never the best idea is it. 

Heres a couple of pics.. not the best as the bikes obviously in the garage and its absolutely peeing it down, so i didn't fancy bringing it out haha. 

IMG_2842.jpg

Sort of my view, but i can actually see alot more of the SatNav when ive got my hands on the bars, so it doesn't obscure at all. Which is one of the things i was a little worried about. 

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

• Like 2

Got to say fella that looks well smart. I have a tailpack on the beemer which is great for loading up but is properly out in the elements and I keep thinking about one of these for my every day stuff.

How does it clip onto the bracket ?

Do you mind me asking how much ?

As for what I did today, pumped the tyres up as the readout was showing them a smidgen low and I cleaned the headlight lol.

Went for a long run and the weather's been foul so left it at that lol

Got to say fella that looks well smart. I have a tailpack on the beemer which is great for loading up but is properly out in the elements and I keep thinking about one of these for my every day stuff.

How does it clip onto the bracket ?

Do you mind me asking how much ?

As for what I did today, pumped the tyres up as the readout was showing them a smidgen low and I cleaned the headlight lol.

Went for a long run and the weather's been foul so left it at that lol

Thanks! I haven't actually ridden with it yet, but im happy with how it all fits :D 

Its a strange mechanism. It sort of expands and clips in. I dont really know how to explain it in my own words, so its probably just easier to link this video.. :D 

The bag was £100 (for that particular model the XS307. There are bigger ones and much smaller ones) and then £13.99 for the bike specific bracket which is literally just the inner ring that you can see on the video. i guess different bikes just have the screw holes drilled in different places. So that inner plate is sort of an adaptor. 

I've no doubt i could of probably saved a few quid by buying online, but i wanted to get a feel for the size of the things and i wasn't happy with just using pictures on the internet. So i made a day trip of it :D

I like tank bags so i would recommend. I know its personal preference, but i just like em because they're so easy and you can keep an eye on em all the time. Don't think it could leave the bike easily anyway, as its sort of penned in by my arms. 

• Like 1

Cheers dude !

Yeah might have to plan a trip like you and suss out which one fits best. The k13 has quite a long tank so might get something a bit bigger.

Cheers for all the info, shouldn't have been so lazy and looked it up myself so thank you !

• Like 1

Cheers dude !

Yeah might have to plan a trip like you and suss out which one fits best. The k13 has quite a long tank so might get something a bit bigger.

Cheers for all the info, shouldn't have been so lazy and looked it up myself so thank you !

No worries mate. 

Thats the thing. It depends how much you wanna put in it and how big the tank is. Theres one below this that i was tempted for, but its narrower and slightly higher. I was concerned about seeing the SatNav so opted for this. 

Its worth noting, that if you look underneath the bag, there are extra fixing points for the bracket to move it backwards and forwards. So it can change the position of the bag when its on the bike. 

No, its fine mate. Its only a 2 second search when you know what to look for :D

Edit, the one i've got is £85 posted on ebay. So saves  a little bit, but i dont mind paying J&S a tad more as the staff are very useful and have answered all of my questions every time i've been. Very informative and helpful place tbh. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1

Well yesterday I rode it for 100 plus miles and got it filthy.  Lovely warm day but the roads stayed wet all day.  Joined by three other RATS two on Tigers and one on a Speed Triple (no not him it was wet!) and we rode across the Humber Bridge to a cafe at a windmill called Sails and surprise surprise we had cake!  Rode back via another cafe and two had soup and I just had tea because I was so full of cake from earlier.

On arrival back home the Tiger was filthy.

Let it cooled down then a quick spray with the hosepipe and a bit of a rub down and thanks Mr All Year Biker and your ACF50 it was as good as new again.

Tomorrow it goes i for the tyres which I will have to put some miles on before I try them in earnest.  Cake me thinks!

I thought I would give the treatment a test today too.

Out to Reading on the back roads and lanes so my mate's daughter could do a bit of shopping at the Harley dealer, onto Maidenhead so mate number 2 could pick up his GS after having some farkles fitted!

A hog roast lunch thanks to Bahnstormers and then back home.

The NC looked about the same!

Out with the jet wash, a quick wipe over with a microfibre cloth and 5 mins later, she's looking like she had never left the garage.

Best £65 I've spent in a long time

• Like 1

Still not used the bike since October after breaking my arm and shoulder, but eventually got round to fitting my new exhaust on the Tiger this morning. 

Not the best pics but couldn't be bothered taking it out the garage for a decent picture! 

20160205_082205_zpst7opdhy2.jpg

20160205_082229_zpslsrruhud.jpg

• Like 2

Yes but you need to ride it to 'hear' the best bit about it.  Each time I start mine I think I should put the baffle back in but as soon as I ride it I think Nah!  Very addictive is the noise from it and I assume it is actually using more fuel because I am revving it more just for the fun of it but the truth is it is even better on fuel than it was with the OEM one that was obviously choking the engine.

Hope your injuries improve enough to let you out on the Tiger soon.

Tank bags are like Marmite.  I can't stand them and use a top box but they make the bike look pig ugly.  Problem is Jane like to have the securrity of the top box to prevent her falling off the back having nearly launched her when I first took a Triumph Sprint demo bike out!!!!!

Yes but you need to ride it to 'hear' the best bit about it. Each time I start mine I think I should put the baffle back in but as soon as I ride it I think Nah! Very addictive is the noise from it and I assume it is actually using more fuel because I am revving it more just for the fun of it but the truth is it is even better on fuel than it was with the OEM one that was obviously choking the engine.

Hope your injuries improve enough to let you out on the Tiger soon.

Tank bags are like Marmite. I can't stand them and use a top box but they make the bike look pig ugly. Problem is Jane like to have the securrity of the top box to prevent her falling off the back having nearly launched her when I first took a Triumph Sprint demo bike out!!!!!

I have the same with mine. Sounds too loud, but once you get moving its just fine (:

Ah im the opposite. I dont like top boxes. I do know what you're saying about the pillion security though, they are good for that.

And a top box requires another rack. I dont like racks :D.

Thanks, with the baffles in it's not much louder than stock, but not bothered taking them out as i can't ride it.

Only used the bike for 3 weeks since i got it in October so still trying to gel with it.

Came from a 2015 Speed Triple R but had to give it up due to another injury.

• Like 1

Tried calling the bike shop a couple of times but no joy :( The guy has advertised for a mechanic so I think the English bloke who worked for him has moved on :( One of those little old school places where it's open when it's open and dropping all to answer the phone doesn't really happen. They do good trade on ebay though. 

Backup plan 'B' arrived a day late by courier. Never in my life have I had bought a frigging flat pack battery which I then must charge, but charging in the bike on the goold old Oxfort oximiser 900 it is :D

IMG_20160210_152338792.jpg

Added later***

follow up :D

I made the mistake of taking cover off bike and not putting it back on when I took battery out last week...... utterly covered in condensation every inch of the thing :( She fired up with a bit of choke and WOW did she have to clear her damp lungs! 

about 10 seconds after started: 

Also suddenly realised my shed is no longer tidy :o Have old livingroom carpet and underlay (and the hall and stairs and landing) in there along with the old side gate still attached to it's post (might come in handy!!!!) Looks like the Octy will become a skip on wheels at some point over the next couple of days. I am off Friday, but local dump is closed on Fridays GURRRRRR.
Edited by FUBAR

Must admit I have started getting lazy and leaving the cover off mine now it is in the shed.  It still gets dusty in there so should be covered up but I have not noticed condensation at all.  I have no doubt it will be there but I think the shed gets quite warm during the day as it is in the sun.

For some time now I have had a coiple of problems when riding.

1. My back is suffering from a cold draught getting in under the right hand side of my jacket.  (Note not the left had side)

2. Since having to wear glasses for driving I have problems with them steaming up.

First one cured as I ordered a kidney belt off fleabay.  Had it on yesterday and was lovely and warm with no draft at all getting inside the jacket.  My jacket has the short zip to attach to the trousers but it did nothing to prevent my back getting a cold draught and this does.

Second the glasses.  I have tried all sorts to stop them from steaming up without success.  I have used Fog visor spray and it doesn't work in the slightest. I have tried Fairy liquid (other brands are available) I have not tried half of a potato rubbed on them (us older guys will know about that rather than young plumbers!!!!!).  Then I remembered shaving foam.  I read about it some years ago and used to use it on the inside of the doors on the bus so I could see the nearside mirror.  They used to get so steamed up when you had a load of soggy passengers on that it was impossible to see down the nearside which is a little bit dangerous.  So I used that on the glasses yesterday and it worked....ish!  For the first time since I had to wear them I ahve been able to have my visor closed fully without steaming up.  As it happens I can ride with the visor open on the TEX the way the screen is without much of a problem but it is warmer to have it closed completely and quieter too.  So yesterday when I did the glasses would still steam us if I was breathing quite heavily BUT they would clear instantly. 

So now I think I just need to give them another application and make sure I do it evenly on the inside and outside of both sides as yesterday one side was better than the other and then I think I have sorted that out as well.

It was also the first time I have been out on my own on the new tyres for a good run.  I always take it a bit slower when Jane is on the back, not because she is scared but more for her comfort and that added margin of safety.  Yesterday I went across to Lincoln and took a road that I know well and has a lot of tight bends.  I began to push the bike a bit and noticed that my confidence grew and I was cornering faster than usual.  When I got back I noticed that I had reduced the size of my chicken strips considerably!  Not that I have ever been bothered about chicken strips one way or the other but it is a good indication that I am getting the bike much further over on the new tyres than with the old ones.  The bike feel so much more planted and is turning into bends without effort at all in fact so much that when I forget and put a bit of pressure on the bars like I used to have to I am having to adjust to stop turning as quick.

So a good ride out and a couple of niggles sorted that is what I call a good day. :D :D

• Like 1