The 280PS Thread

On 04/08/2019 at 10:11, ColinD said:

highlights, bold were non retrofit parts, or a royal pain to do, italics were I could, if I can be bothered. QED sunroof I'm not fussed either way about...

my last superb was ex management, a 'k' car. I understand the skoda managers essentially get the cars for free they just have to keep them mint. Of course beauty is only skin deep who knows what else went on... they normally represent pretty good value. I seem to recall the mkII i had being lower than the rest  of the forecourt.

I've come up with a cunning plan to try dcc... off to VW :D 

I still own my "K" plate, ex Skoda UK Superb Elegance. Bought in Feb. '13 so 9 months old with 5K miles, now up to 33K miles.... Probably ex. management, the previous user left their home address, in a very posh village in Cheshire. It had visited some interesting places too, but it couldn't have been their only vehicle at that mileage. 

As for it's condition when purchased, as good as new, + sensible options, spare wheel, privacy glass & paddles. I really wouldn't have kept it for 6+ years if it wasn't a decent car. 

FWIW I've owned 2 x Ford Management Role V6 Mondeos, both cars were priced sensibly & kept them for 4+ & 5+ years respectively.

Again, decent specs. & no signs of ill treatment. 

What oil to use in 280 tsi?

Well it obviously came from the factory with longlife. First service was with Longlife too. It always used a bit of oil, not horrendous but I did need to top it up. Not being a fan of old oil I changed the oil myself between the long oil change intervals. Then I took it for another service (different garage) at around 30k miles. They decided to put in Quantum Platinum 5W-40 (not longlife) and set it for fixed servicing. Which annoyed me a bit at the time, however the oil consumption fell virtually to zero and I think the fuel economy is slightly  better.

Now that the car is out of warranty I will be doing all the servicing myself, so fixed servicing is not an issue. I've just been to TPS to get supplies for engine oil change, DSG oil change and Haldex oil change. Whilst the 6 litres DSG oil is £90 quids-worth (ouch!) and 1 litre of Haldex fluid is £35+VAT (double ouch) I notice that the Quantum Platinum is incredibly cheap at the moment - £11.99 + VAT for 5 litres and £5 + VAT for 1 litre. Bargain!

So if anyone is thinking of doing their own oil changes I would recommend fixed service intervals and Quantum Platinum.

Well the puppy has got my thinking I really

need an estate to put it in in 6 months when it’s grown so I just listed my 280 L&K hatch for sale in the classifieds here.  Such a shame the wife didn’t tell me we getting a dog 6 months ago - I’d have bought the combI 😌

As a previous hatch owner, I would have thought it could cope with anything bar a Newfoundland or Leonburger. My problem was I bought a fully specced L & K 280 (which I love), but then we gave up cruising and bought a caravan - 22mpg, but it doesn't half pull and the 4wd is a big plus!!

55 minutes ago, Steel Grey 42 said:

As a previous hatch owner, I would have thought it could cope with anything bar a Newfoundland or Leonburger. My problem was I bought a fully specced L & K 280 (which I love), but then we gave up cruising and bought a caravan - 22mpg, but it doesn't half pull and the 4wd is a big plus!!

Interesting that you manage  22mpg when towing - I managed 18mpg (280 sportline estate) heading down to the alps with 4 bikes on the roof, sat on ACC at 130kmph most of the way. Guess the speeds are lower when towing though - in UK at least, the french seem to ignore whatever they are towing and sit at 130kmph anyway and don't seem to believe in mirror extensions either.

Was interesting to see the power gauge in the sport menu as while you don't feel any big difference with the bikes, the engine is a gem, the power was up around 60KW a lot of the time even when cruising at a consistent speed.

1 hour ago, Steel Grey 42 said:

Well I want it in the boot and don’t fancy emptying everything out to get a cage in. In an estate I’d be able to leave my clubs in and keep a cage too.   Funny enough when I bought mine towing WAS in mind for when the wife’s Sorrento gives up the ghost but it’s still going strong. 

Re fuel prices for caravannerists, I use the Petrol Prices.com app. I toured Scotland last autumn and it was most valuable - indeed I use it all the time as petrol in my village in Hampshire  is 7p/litre more than the supermarket 2 miles away. I always check prices en route as it defeats the object to detour for fuel. I have just completed a five-tank trial of 'Super' grade petrol versus 'cooking' and found no consumption improvement to justify the extra cost. I'll use it once every four fills to keep things clean. BTW in a five-week caravan trip to France last year, my consumption whilst towing never wavered whatever i put in the tank - the joy of electronic engine management systems.

To Paul 7_7_7, its them bikes on the roof what chews up the fuel

1 hour ago, Steel Grey 42 said:

To Paul 7_7_7, its them bikes on the roof what chews up the fuel

Absolutely! - just surprised it was even more than towing a caravan. Same trip without the bike would have seen low 30s mpg. An to be fair if you knock the speed back a bit the economy improves quite a lot. But when you're doing 700miles in one day time becomes more important that cost. And the extra fuel is still cheaper than higher the bikes there. You just have to get off the motorway to fill up - french petrol prices vary even more than ours do - motorway was up to EUR1.86, whereas the supermarkets were as low as 1.46, on a 65litre fill that adds up.

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

What oil to use in 280 tsi?

Well it obviously came from the factory with longlife. First service was with Longlife too. It always used a bit of oil, not horrendous but I did need to top it up. Not being a fan of old oil I changed the oil myself between the long oil change intervals. Then I took it for another service (different garage) at around 30k miles. They decided to put in Quantum Platinum 5W-40 (not longlife) and set it for fixed servicing. Which annoyed me a bit at the time, however the oil consumption fell virtually to zero and I think the fuel economy is slightly  better.

Now that the car is out of warranty I will be doing all the servicing myself, so fixed servicing is not an issue. I've just been to TPS to get supplies for engine oil change, DSG oil change and Haldex oil change. Whilst the 6 litres DSG oil is £90 quids-worth (ouch!) and 1 litre of Haldex fluid is £35+VAT (double ouch) I notice that the Quantum Platinum is incredibly cheap at the moment - £11.99 + VAT for 5 litres and £5 + VAT for 1 litre. Bargain!

So if anyone is thinking of doing their own oil changes I would recommend fixed service intervals and Quantum Platinum.

Most of us Golf R owners swear by Liqui Moly, especially when tuned. Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 is the bees knees.

On 20/09/2019 at 11:48, I2BAD4U said:

This is my 2.0TSi DSG 4x4 L&K 280hp on Audi RS6 OEM 20"

20190823_165813-02.thumb.jpeg.6a821a2c476f75e1221eb61ad1468303.jpeg

Love the look and was wanting to do something similar with my Sportline as I don't like the Vega 19s

What tyres are you running on that 235/35?

1 hour ago, Rikochet said:

Love the look and was wanting to do something similar with my Sportline as I don't like the Vega 19s

What tyres are you running on that 235/35?

At the moment I have 235 30 20 and on previous set up 8 had 255 30 20 on 20x9J and ET37 from Audi S7. 

• Thanks 1

Hi All

So I've got a slow(ish) flat on the rear left on my 272 Sportline Estate and looking for tyre advice. Just had its first service (9500k) and rears (P7's) were:

O/S: 6.20 6.60 6.20

N/S: 6.30 6.80 6.20

Fronts were:

O/S: 5.70 5.80 5.90

N/S: 5.60 5.80 5.20

Its dropping from 38psi to 25psi in about 36 hours.  I can't see anything immediately obvious that has caused it.   

I'm assuming at minimum I  should replace both rears at the same time, and given the minal wear with the front at the moment it should be OK?   I've seen others do repairs but not something I am familiar with / not even sure where I would take it.  If replacing both any thoughts on the choice of tyre?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Drop it in to your local tyre shop, they will be able to check where the leak is coming from (puncture or failed seating on the rim) and then advise. Chances are it will be repairable if it does have a puncture and be of no concern unless you are really driving the car especially hard. When you get to about 4.5mm on the front it can be worth swapping front to rear, that should see all 4 wear out at about the same time then you have free choice of replacement.

My independent tyre shop changed me 10quid to re-seat a tyre on my other car when it had an issue.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it. I'd first check if it can be repaired. If not, I'd definitely replace both.

I'll leave the 280 owners to advise on best tyres for the sporty end of the rev band, but I put Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 3s on when I had a similar issue on my 190.

In your position I'd put the best of the P7s on the back and the new tyres on the front (on mine the front NS was damaged, so it was an easy decision). £160 per tyre from memory, but it was a few months ago. Quieter than the P7s and more than enough grip for my driving style. Sport Pilot is also a popular choice from what I have read.

@penguin17 - any advice?

My limited experience of tyres so far. Original Pirellis Ok, but I bought the car with 9000 miles on it so I didn’t have to have them for too long. Fitted Khumos. I like these tyres, they are soft, quiet and give good ride and grip. But they didn’t last long - just over 10000 miles (of twisty Scottish country roads - I’m sure you’d get more on the congested roads of englandshire). Next I fitted Michelin PS4s. Much harder, noises, harsher, less grippy  and generally not very nice. But they are lasting really well, will do probably twice what the Khumos did. So it is a matter of what is important to you.

58 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Sorry to hear it. I'd first check if it can be repaired. If not, I'd definitely replace both.

I'll leave the 280 owners to advise on best tyres for the sporty end of the rev band, but I put Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 3s on when I had a similar issue on my 190.

In your position I'd put the best of the P7s on the back and the new tyres on the front (on mine the front NS was damaged, so it was an easy decision). £160 per tyre from memory, but it was a few months ago. Quieter than the P7s and more than enough grip for my driving style. Sport Pilot is also a popular choice from what I have read.

@penguin17 - any advice?

I ditched the P7's as soon as I could afford to as I thought they were awful, especially in the wet.  I had a few scary moments with aquaplaning at motorway speeds.   I switched to Vredestein Quatrac 5 all-seasons which I can't praise enough but my choice was dictated by Skoda fitting the Superb with an obscure R19 tyre spec which left me with a choice of 3 all-seasons.  

I still have the Quatrac 5's and will refit them in Winter (yes I know they are all-season!) but I fancied trying some Michelin PS4's and I think they are bloody excellent, the best Summer tyres I've had; better than P-Zero's, Sport Contacts and GY Eagle F1's (IME and the slightly older variants of).  The only Summer tyre I've had which impressed me nearly as much was the GY Efficient Grip Performance but they aren't available in this size, shame.  Though TBH the Quatrac 5's aren't too far behind which is I find impressive as non of the above could handle the snow and ice too.  

I looked at a few different tyres and trawled near enough every review before getting the PS4's; again shortlisting tyres was hard because of the obscure sizing (either not available or just too expensive!).  I looked at Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, Conti SC6, Hankook Ventus S1 Evo and Falken FK510's.  Now there's also the GY Asymmetric 5's and the Eagle F1 Supersports, both are meant to be very good.  It all depends on budget and personal preference though. 

For my next tyres though I will be going back to the trusty Quatrac 5's, that is unless Vredestein release the Quatrac Pro in this size or some of the other big manufacturers expand their all-season sizing options.  Whilst the PS4's are great in the Summer months I CBA with rotating two sets of tyres as I had previously done with dedicated Summer/Winter wheels.  IME the Quatrac's are not far off the Winter or Summer tyres I've used but that slight drop in performance is negated by only having one set of tyres (and the wear rate on them is awesome, so good value in the longer term).  I do like to have the security of knowing I have tyres that will work well in Winter too. 

Thanks.  I can see a nail in the central part of the tyre now, so hopefully can be repaired, I just need to find someone who is not "too busy".  If I can get fixed I am now thinking about putting the  funds towards a set of 17" alloys, possibly with all seasons to run through winter. and eventually get some decent rubber on the Vega's next year perhaps.

I had the same problem last week - rear right tyre has slow puncture for several months. Losing 2-3 psi every 2 weeks so the tyre pressure warning came on - quick inflate using my bike pump as needed.

Didnt worry too much until of course last Thursday the tyre had gone completely flat 😞 No spare of course and everyone recommends to avoid the puncture repair kit unless its a last resort. Called some local mobile units but no joy. Then remembered Skoda Assist - called them who call the AA. Hour later chap arrived, took of the wheel and found the cause - an embedded screw right in the centre of the tyre.

He did a temp repair which got me to kwik fit who did a permanent repair for £25 - job done.

Anyway sorry for the long winded reply - just wanted to share :)  Puncture repairs are perfectly acceptable depending on the nature and location of the damage.

In future I will not leave slow punctures till it develops into something more serious + I need to look at getting a spare wheel. Presumably my local Skoda dealer can advise!

Strange thing happened after the tyre was re-fitted - when I left Kwik Fit the TCS kept activating - warning light came on and loss of power. Had to pull over a few hundred yards (sorry metres) down the road. Switch of the ignition and restarted and the problem went away - not sure what happened but it has been fine since - anyone else experienced anything similar??

Panic over!  Tyre repair for £20 which is a bonus..  :thumbup:

I'm still inclined to look for another set of alloys and all-seasons/winters, less so from a winter conditions point of view, but more from the sheer state of the roads themselves and preserving the Vegas longer-term.  I'd then look to upgrade the P7s later once fully worn, I get the idea of putting on all-seasons all year round, but the 19's are expensive! I'd prefer to spend that on good quality summer tyre such as the PS4 as recommended.

Anyone else running 17's on their 280/272 and any issues / changes to drivability?

2 hours ago, Chas51 said:

Panic over!  Tyre repair for £20 which is a bonus..  :thumbup:

I'm still inclined to look for another set of alloys and all-seasons/winters, less so from a winter conditions point of view, but more from the sheer state of the roads themselves and preserving the Vegas longer-term.  I'd then look to upgrade the P7s later once fully worn, I get the idea of putting on all-seasons all year round, but the 19's are expensive! I'd prefer to spend that on good quality summer tyre such as the PS4 as recommended.

Anyone else running 17's on their 280/272 and any issues / changes to drivability?

In reply to the last part; I run my 272 on 17s during winter and the ride becomes even smoother! 

The only problem to arise is when I clean the car in winter (if I can gather the enthusiasm). The clearance between the wheel and the calipers on the front is minimal to say the least! 

20181120_125928.jpg

• Haha 1