VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

How will that affect my 1.6 Rapid, performance wise?

That is the million dollar question..... Nobody knows until the full info regarding the fix is confirmed by VAG and running on cars.

• Like 1

Alot of talk of how this will affect resale value, consumption, performance and potentially general running cost of the car (tax etc)...

If its the case that the software update does decrease all but running cost, then potentially not getting it done could  make your car more appealing to sellers (obviously if its not compulsory) !?!

Im not holding my breath for compensation, if it happens ill obviously accept it, if not them im not at a great lose BUT if considering getting a remap, would that not invalidate any chance of compensation ?  depending on the conditions changed in the "software update" wouldnt remaps have to be done to work with the software update to potentially pass MOT's or VOSA random roadside emissions tests.  If thats the case, the guys who remap must be also feeling the effects from this.

Personally if i was anyone i would wait and see what the difference will be, any variation from how it runs could be deemed at not acceptable.  Its not all down to 0-60 times, who really drags their car from every light ??? its more real life performance i would be interested in....30-50/70 50-70 times etc...MPG, well i bought my car for fuel consumption as well as performance, it was the best of both worlds otherwise i would have gone for the TFSI instead.  Finally as mentioned, will this update have affects on other components, VAG may loose a lot in this "scandal" but potentially if its going to reduce the life of key components, then they will make the money back quicker than we expect.

So, can I assume that the replacement injectors will be those used in a more recent version of the engine, and the remap will basically update the management software to run the new hardware? I'd like to think the new injectors were tried and tested...

I'm aware I'm thinking out loud here but...

If the repacement injectors are from a more recent version of the 1.6 engine, will the current injection pump and hoses take the new pressure load? Could that be an issue?

If the pump is the same on the newer versions of the engine as it is on my 2010 car, then logically there shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone know if the pumps are the same?

"will the current injection pump and hoses take the new pressure load? Could that be an issue?"

The injectors cannae take it Cap'n - she's goona blow!  Funny how the USS Enterprise never had an problem with emissions :-}
  • Like 2

I am very sure that VW already has solution for 1.6 tdi, within win-win situation. They will probably "recycle" solution of the newer 1.6 tdi engine, but in same time are trying to make their costs of this engine recall as low as possible.

I have been wondering if the 'fix' will affect torque at low revs. As the owner of a 'Bluemotion' variant I am all too well aware that the 'long' gear ratios used in these models depend on good torque from low down. The driving experience does take a bit of getting used to and any changes to torque delivery could have an adverse effect on percieved drivability in Bluemotion models. I vote for a Bluemotion buy back!

I have been wondering if the 'fix' will affect torque at low revs. As the owner of a 'Bluemotion' variant I am all too well aware that the 'long' gear ratios used in these models depend on good torque from low down. The driving experience does take a bit of getting used to and any changes to torque delivery could have an adverse effect on percieved drivability in Bluemotion models. I vote for a Bluemotion buy back!

I'm with you on that one !

So possible further cars involved, with Petrol  Engines.

It is good that once they are forced at VW to investigate themselves they can eventually find out what they have been up to.

Hopefully this will be the start of honesty in the car industry! Emissions and mpg I for one won't hold my breath

Funny how the USS Enterprise never had an problem with emissions :-}

It does actually, it's called subspace rift. There's a TNG episode all about it. S07E09 (Force of Nature).  :nerd:

Oh and of course all the antimatter nastiness when they get a warp core breach.

• Like 3

It does actually, it's called subspace rift. There's a TNG episode all about it. S07E09 (Foce of Nature).  :nerd:

And just like VW emissions, a couple of years later it was being completely ignored in DS9 when they were flying round flat out all the time.

• Like 2

This whole saga is very boring. I wonder how many people really consider emissions when buying a motor. A few tree huggers possibly and those who worry about saving a bit on VED but who there's bigger fish to fry.

I swapped a VW R32 for my Yeti and couldn't care a monkey about fuel consumption, emissions and the rest. The Yeti drives okay and is reliable so that's all I care about. People do get a bit obsessive about trivial things!

Spoken like a true VW share holder.

This whole saga is very boring. I wonder how many people really consider emissions when buying a motor. A few tree huggers possibly and those who worry about saving a bit on VED but who there's bigger fish to fry.

I swapped a VW R32 for my Yeti and couldn't care a monkey about fuel consumption, emissions and the rest. The Yeti drives okay and is reliable so that's all I care about. People do get a bit obsessive about trivial things!

I couldn't disagree with you more. (from a proud tree hugger)

What about the people that have had their cars remapped ? Will skoda pay for the software to be put back on after the recall ? As surely the update/recall will involve a software ecu flash, removing the software of the remap ?

What about the people that have had their cars remapped ? Will skoda pay for the software to be put back on after the recall ? As surely the update/recall will involve a software ecu flash, removing the software of the remap ?

I think you know the answer to that one. Almost surely not. Remap out the window I'm afraid.

If I had bought myself a nice Skoda, but wanted to spray it green and later Skoda did a recall saying the doors had to be changed - I think they would be paying to spray the doors green for me. So I think you have a claim. After all it wasn't your remap that made the car need a recall. I was looking at a fuel saving gadget at a show that bolted to the injector but it would have taken 4 years to pay for itself. They are not cheep.

I am going to do a dyno test before and after the Skoda mod and if it isn't what they sold me - they get hell from me.

Edited by S00perb