Real World MPG figures

My 2.0tdi 150 SE business combi. Still rubbish mpg. Had one blip where it bounced up to 44mpg but down again now. Next tank will be some kind of super diesel(whatever is available) to see if it improves.

I drive fast and accelerate hard but even on the tanks where I've really tried to pootle about it's still made very little difference.

post-81741-0-33067300-1457949761_thumb.png

Edited by Bugginbob

If it helps, my 13 plate manual 150 Octavia has a long term average of 51 over 30k. It does 60+ runs but overall average a struggle to get higher and that's in an Octavia.

190 Superb I am not expecting to be great - high 40s with a DSG...

First fill 55.8 on the maxidot, 52.1 calculated.

Great range, 658 miles and still above the red section of the fuel gauge.

This was normal mode, will try Eco mode this week if I can stick it.

Slight improvement on my S2 170 maybe but it's early days.

TBH one of the reasons I was ok with the 190 in our Superb (it was ex demo so no choice) was the rated combined MPG being only 1 or 2 MPG off from the 150. Coming from an Octy III with the 150, I knew how it performed vs rating and I was happy with that. Unfortunately this has not translated to the 190. It is MUCH further off of rating. The 150 was 49.5 with a DSG long term over 45k miles. Over 10.8k in the 190 it's barely over 41.

I don't expect cars to match the advertised mileage however the discrepancy of variation between the engines is rather annoying. You can't make an informed decision as a buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

TBH one of the reasons I was ok with the 190 in our Superb (it was ex demo so no choice) was the rated combined MPG being only 1 or 2 MPG off from the 150. Coming from an Octy III with the 150, I knew how it performed vs rating and I was happy with that. Unfortunately this has not translated to the 190. It is MUCH further off of rating. The 150 was 49.5 with a DSG long term over 45k miles. Over 10.8k in the 190 it's barely over 41.

I don't expect cars to match the advertised mileage however the discrepancy of variation between the engines is rather annoying. You can't make an informed decision as a buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other hand you bought a bigger, heavier car with 30% more power on tap, and only lost 17% of your old MPG. If you're doing at least 20,000 miles a year (which I guess you probably are - at least - if you're opting for diesels) then it'll be costing you an extra £1 a day / £7 a week on fuel compared to the Octy. Inconsequential compared to the depreciation and other costs of ownership, especially compared to the gains of a bigger, nicer car. As you said, NEDC should be taken with a bucket of salt, especially for diesel models. Just enjoy the car.

You do wonder how they get these official numbers.

Obvious stuff is to remove the spare wheel, empty to fuel tank to 1litre, no water in the washers, minimal oil etc. before a test. Even then I don't know how they do it, they must have to strip out a lot more to get even close, like all the seats... 

The standard fuel testing for all makes of vehicle are totally false and have been for as far as I know always. The true figures are about 20% down on the advertised ones,Possibly more on autos and even more with 4x4. MY order for a 190 estate DSG advertises, combined 61.4 mpg, -20% =49.12mpg less say 3mpg for the dsg so say 46mpg. If i can get that I will be very happy indeed as i am getting below 40mpg in my  Mondeo 175 2.2.D. It's about time a new standard test was enforced EG each car in standard trim, fully fueled, on normal tyres, over a set distance at every speed from 10 to 80mph, including start stop between each speed and max acceleration up to those set speeds before leveling off and doing 5 miles or so at constant speed. MPG averaged at the end. If all manufactures did this at least we could compare like for like even if it still will not be real world, the present situation is a joke and the car industry in general has to do something. Advertising standards should do a couple of them to set an example.

• Like 1

It's my understanding that there will be a 'real world' emissions testing introduced in 2017 and covering at least U.S. European and Australasian markets.... Not long now.

• Like 1

You do wonder how they get these official numbers.

Obvious stuff is to remove the spare wheel, empty to fuel tank to 1litre, no water in the washers, minimal oil etc. before a test. Even then I don't know how they do it, they must have to strip out a lot more to get even close, like all the seats... 

Skinny driver ?

• Like 1

Update from my 1.4 ACT manual. Over 4000 miles now and got my first 700+ miles from a tank full of ron 95 today. Very happy with the economy performance of my big brown barge I've nicknamed Bruno.

Fuelly stats since its first fill up:

Screenshot_2016-03-21-21-43-48_zpsz5yla8

• Like 3

Pick up my car end of next week. Just a couple of thoughts:

1) Can anyone recommend which fuel consumption tracker app is best for iPhone?

2) Don't assume petrol pumps are accurate - time of day and temp of fuel can make a difference before we get into inaccuracies in MaxDot vs Pump.

Thanks

The standard fuel testing for all makes of vehicle are totally false and have been for as far as I know always. The true figures are about 20% down on the advertised ones,Possibly more on autos and even more with 4x4. MY order for a 190 estate DSG advertises, combined 61.4 mpg, -20% =49.12mpg less say 3mpg for the dsg so say 46mpg. If i can get that I will be very happy indeed as i am getting below 40mpg in my  Mondeo 175 2.2.D. It's about time a new standard test was enforced EG each car in standard trim, fully fueled, on normal tyres, over a set distance at every speed from 10 to 80mph, including start stop between each speed and max acceleration up to those set speeds before leveling off and doing 5 miles or so at constant speed. MPG averaged at the end. If all manufactures did this at least we could compare like for like even if it still will not be real world, the present situation is a joke and the car industry in general has to do something. Advertising standards should do a couple of them to set an example.

Correct, they are widely inaccurate against day-to-day driving/motoring.

HOWEVER, they do provide a benchmark against each other. In order for Joe Public to draw comparisons between differing models / makes, the fuel consumption tests are carried out to the same standards (there or thereabouts).

• Like 1

Posted Today, 10:04

Pick up my car end of next week. Just a couple of thoughts:

1) Can anyone recommend which fuel consumption tracker app is best for iPhone?

2) Don't assume petrol pumps are accurate - time of day and temp of fuel can make a difference before we get into inaccuracies in MaxDot vs Pump.

Thanks

In fairness Trading standards check Fuel pumps reasonably often and believe me people complain quickly if they think pumps are short fueling

Fuelly stats since its first fill up:

Lee what is your driving style to get those figures?

Do you actively drive it very economically etc or just get in and drive to the road conditions?

I am half way through a tankful where I have been commuting at 65MPH (done 400+ miles so far) and the maxidot is showing an average of 53MPG (this is about 1MPG optimistic). Very boring driving this way but I thought I would experiment, oh and I have also had a regen in this 400 miles as well. 

Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

I have only had my Skoda Superb for just under a week, but I am averaging about 46 mpg.

On my journey home tonight which included motorway, 'B' roads and a little bit of congestion I managed 49 mpg.

(These are Maxidot figures).

This is from a 1.4 Tsi ACT SEL Exectutive. (Petrol........I know........I can't believe it either....... :heart: .....love this car!

• Like 2

Collect my car next Friday. Current car (Cmax 1.8tdci), the one before that (Avensis estate 2.0D4-D) and before that (Volvo S60 2.0t auto) I have always hit within a couple of mpg of claimed combined.

Be interested to see how Superb SE-L 150DSG goes.

Don't have the lightest right foot but am not crazy and do a lot of motorway driving.

Watch this space.....