Navigation Data Update available

My comments are to do with updating the maps using a MacBook - I now seem to be able to do it first time and with no problems. My method is

1. download the files from wherever you choose - the Skoda website or one of the links people give here
  2. the files download to the "Download" Directory on a mac and automatically unpack themselves (at least they do on mine)
  3. insert an SD Card into the Mac (I use a high speed 64Gb one just to make sure I have enough space)
  4. clean the SD card using the free app CleanMyDrive (make sure you choose the SD Card and not your mac heard drive) - ensure everything on the card is deleted.
  5. Open the High........ folder in Downloads, you are interested in what is in this folder and do not want to have the "high......" folder on your SD card, just what is within it. For those who want to know exactly the folder name, currently it is HIGH12_P169_EU_2018_2019
  6. copy the files over (the txt file and the two sub directories) leaving everything in their original subdirectory - you will have a file called metaininfo2.text and two folders Mib1 and Mib2 and their contents within them. It takes a while for them to copy but you can see progress if you have a Finder screen running for the SD card
  7. get CleanMyDrive running
  8. choose the SD Card (I have labelled mine Skoda just to make sure it is obvious to me)
  9. run CleanMyDrive selecting the option to remove junk - the space figures will now change on the screen but not by verymuch
  10. pull the SD card out of the SD - do not eject it, pull it out. The Mac grumbles but you can ignore that. I found if you eject it, it seems to write the junk files onto the SD Card which the skoda update process does not like
  11. Insert the SD card into your Skoda SD slot and choose the update options described in the SD Handbook to proceed with the update
  12. On my skoda, it thinks for sometime (minutes) and then starts the update and takes around an hour to do it. If you stop driving during the update, you just start that bit (ice from the point above) when you start driving again and it picks up from where it left off last time.

Hope this helps - any questions post them here

Paul

@rutterfordharvey  Re: steps 9 and 10. If you eject the SD card from a Finder window or by dragging the icon to the Trash, yes, the Mac will write invisible files on it. However, if you eject the SD card from within the CleanMyDrive.app, you avoid the Finder and no files are written. The benefit being that the card is still ejected properly without any warnings.

Also interesting: I started uploading the files in my Columbus Sat/Nav until it reached 7%, then shut off the engine, locked the car and walked to the shops and back. When I restarted the car, I was surprised to see that the Nav update had reached 50% while I was away for those 15-20 minutes. 

I assumed everything would stop after the car was locked.

I did mine last night as well with no problems.  Extracted the files in Linux to a FAT32 formatted SD card. Thanks for the link!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a MY 2017 Superb with a Columbus system. I went to the Skoda update portal via a link at the start of this thread and entered my VIN, only to be told that there were no updates available.

My Nav tells me that all the maps (Europe) are 2017.

I am currently downloading the 2018/9 from the direct link to the file as posted by Enriquez on 3rd June, but why does the portal tell me that no updates are available?

6 hours ago, Skodafanmaybe said:

Hi,

I have a MY 2017 Superb with a Columbus system. I went to the Skoda update portal via a link at the start of this thread and entered my VIN, only to be told that there were no updates available.

depends on if the car was correctly added to the update portal database by the dealer, during the PDI/registration process.

if it wasn't which can happen, and i've heard of it happening to others, then you will not find any updates for your VIN.

13 hours ago, Skodafanmaybe said:

Hi,

I am currently downloading the 2018/9 from the direct link to the file as posted by Enriquez on 3rd June, but why does the portal tell me that no updates are available?

Updates are due on the Skoda portal in August. They are probably getting it ready and that's why it shows up as no updates for the VIN. Same for me. However I have downloaded the ones from VWportal, installed them on my L&K Columbus and they work fine. Have a search for "VW map updates" on the forum. I think specifically the links to the downloads are in the Octavia forum. The latest one for the Columbus is called P169_N60S5MIBH3_EU.7z

15 minutes ago, lohr5000 said:

Numpty question, but having downloaded the large .zip file, which file/s do I need to unzip and copy to the sd card. There appear to be two main folders MIB1 and MIB2 in the zip file.

Thanks

You need to unzip the whole thing and copy folder MIB1, folder MIB2 and the metainfo2 text file to your SD card.

And now successfully updated.

If anyone is interested I used an exFAT formatted 64Gb SD XC card and it worked fine, copying/unpacking the unzipped MIB1, MIB2 & metainfo2 text files from Windows 10 using the native Win10 File Explorer.

Thanks again BriskodaJeff for the heads up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally updated mine as well. Used a Win 10 computer.

1. Downloaded directly from the link on this forum and unpacked using the free 7-zip prog. Tried an older 32GB USB stick that I had, reformatted to FAT32. Car would not read it.

2. Enquired of Skoda customer services via email as my VIN did not bring up an update on the Skoda portal. They sorted it out in 3 days and gave me a link onto the Skoda portal with my VIN already input.

3. Downloaded via their downloader prog from the portal and let it unpack and copy to the USB. Still car would not read it.

(Stick is OK. Works on my computer.)

4. Did steps 1 and 3 but onto a 32GB SD card (class 10)

Car started the update. Got to 97% and said there was an 'unexpected interruption'. The second time this happened at the same 97%, I was driving the car, and it was on the move, so it wasn't the car electrics shutting down.

In neither case did the software resume the update. (But it didn't kill the existing old data and Nav either).

The 32GB card was from a camera and it works in that fine.

5. Bought a brand new 64GB SanDisk 100GB per sec Class 10 micro SD card with SD card adapter. Used Skoda's downloader to download and unpack on to it.

It worked.

Interestingly, before it would unpack on to it, Skoda's downloader prog insisted that it needed to format the card to FAT32 (it was exFAT as delivered). I allowed it to do that.

I suspect that whatever you use, it needs to be reasonably fast, i.e. modern and maybe 32GB is not enough, although the unpacked update data is 27.5GB and fits onto a 32GB card with space to spare.

I do not know if Skoda are reading this, but if so, I would suggest they look at their instructions and try a few things out as above to see what works and then say what will not work (and why) and what is needed.

Hope this helps others.

• Thanks 1

Interesting. I use a "SanDisk Ultra SDHC Memory Card Up to 80 MB/s, Class 10, U1 FFP, 32 GB, Black/Grey" - have a search for that on Amazon -  when I needed to update and it works fine everytime. I paid £11.99 August 2017 but it seems to have gone up to 20 quid now.

I also use the 64GB version (SanDisk Ultra SDXC Class 10 Memory Card up to 80 Mbps, Frustration Free Packaging - Grey/Black, 64GB) one in each of the SD slots for the music library. Just make sure you don't exceed the 10,000 tracks per memory card limit.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the 10,000 tip, I had forgotten that. Fortunately much of my music is The Grateful Dead where 1 live track of a full concert can last 4 hours, so I doubt that I would reach 10,000 :-)

I strongly suspect that the card needs a decent speed. My card was also from Amazon and was £14.99. The micro SD cards seem cheaper and usually come with an SD adapter and work just as well.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys am busy unzipping Mib1 and2 as we speak once done can I insert the card and drive at the same time while its downloading.

I know the system wont work but can I drive while updating??????

I believe its 2020 updates 

Edited by Donkey001

Well unzipped with winzip transferred to card inserted into slot 1 search wheel spins then after a quick flash it says insert media.

Am downloading from the portal again such a slow process lol.

See if it works 2nd time round??????