Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

And those that are especially concerned about emissions would have done their research beforehand.

You could have done all the research in the world that is available to the averagely intelligent person and not know the VAG cars were designed to cheat emissions tests. Similarly, if you could not tell the VAGs were 'modified' how could you tell if the other manufacturers were doing something similar. in fact they may well be, just they are better at hiding it and lets be honest, it's unlikely the average person would have a clue where to start in order to find out if the multi billion pound company had designed a bit of trick software, I certainly don't know anyone who could tell me, not on this or any other forum I'm on at least

Edited by Lady Elanore

:D I can safely say that when I sold cars, I never had a single person ask me what the amount of Carbon Nitrogens' coming out of the cars pee-pee was. I raised this question with my Suzuki salesman and he said in all the years he'd been selling (many), nobody had asked him either. Seems to be a bit of the 'Daily Mail;' syndrome gone mad.

Lets move on.........................................and all just buy petrol V8s :)

VAGCF, on 12 Oct 2015 - 18:51, said:snapback.png

And those that are especially concerned about emissions would have done their research beforehand.

You could have done all the research in the world that is available to the averagely intelligent person and not know the VAG cars were designed to cheat emissions tests. Similarly, if you could not tell the VAGs were 'modified' how could you tell if the other manufacturers were doing something similar. in fact they may well be, just they are better at hiding it and lets be honest, it's unlikely the average person would have a clue where to start in order to find out if the multi billion pound company had designed a bit of trick software, I certainly don't know anyone who could tell me, not on this or any other forum I'm on at least

But if they'd asked they would have got the right answer! :notme:

What I meant by research is that the potential customers, if looking for a particularly green vehicle would have looked up that information first to narrow down their choice and that would have been the manufacturers and test data, before being discredited. I wasn't suggesting that they should delve into the manufactures claims!

And so they wouldn't have to ask a salesperson for that information.

Edited by VAGCF

With the amount of Toyota,Honda ,Kia and Hyundai motors sold in the states I would have thought they would have caught up with them by now especially after Hyundai were fined billions of $ for misleading mpg figures.

Smart non-US car companies do not sell cars in the US or other companies sell their wares as litigation costs can exceed a century of profits.

Smaller engine capacity - higher boost pressures to compensate for smaller displacement - higher peak combustion temps (so relatively more NOxious)?

That's speculation BTW... :)

I was thinking that it was fitted to a lot of smaller cars that wouldn't need to cheat the emissions test due to their weight etc, in bigger, blunter shaped vehicles, I could see it more so. But I've read that it is Polo's, Furbys etc.

I am amazed at the 1.2 being subject to a recall as I'd have thought it to be pretty clean to start with.

1.2?

There are 1.2 million UK cars affected

The engineers are working, as a priority, to achieve the SAME FUEL CONSUMPTION (CO2 emmissions?)

Without being asked......or admitting.......the trade off will almost certainly be less power/torque.

Dunno, the whole thing has me lost.  VAG needs to come clean now, if they keep finding out stuff like this in drips and drabs the problem will keep coming back to remind people of VAGs dishonesty.

Is there a 1.2L VW diesel sold in the UK?

Either way we now know that economy (and emmissions of CO2) is the priority.

Edited by Ryeman

No real benefit of smaller injectors (smaller holes at nozzle) if fuel pressure in common rail is same. So, they will/should change high pressure pump and/or rail interface (my opinion). For smaller hole they need bigger pressure to accomplish better spray of fuel and same performance of engine.
My SPECULATION is that those injectors are from Euro 6 tdi engines

I made a tongue-in-cheek remark about 10 days ago that I might end up with the new Euro 6 1.6 Diesel as a replacement for my lowly 1.6 Euro 5.

I may not have been wrong....

Edited by eagerv

The 1.2 TDI engine found in the Volkswagen Polo, SEAT Ibiza, Skoda Roomster and Skoda Fabia was also fitted with software to cheat emissions tests. As a result, these will be included in the huge recall which is set to commence in January next year.

Until now, the recall only involved the EA189 engine - which is the 1.6 TDI or 2.0 TDI engine produced from 2009 as an EU5 compliant unit.

The 1.2 TDI is a three-cylinder unit - codenamed EA111 - which wasn't thought to be affected. But it was also fitted with software to reduce emissions levels under test conditions.

...but it is small mistake... EA111 is a petrol one... :P

diesel:

1.2 TDI CR 55 kW 2010-2014 (EA189) - CFWA

...but it is small mistake... EA111 is a petrol one... :P

diesel:

1.2 TDI CR 55 kW

2010-2014

(EA189) - CFWA

So it's not sold in the USA or Australia but in the UK but not mentioned? Or some other market?

So it's not sold in the USA or Australia but in the UK but not mentioned? Or some other market?

In the UK on sale 2010 - 2014

"The 1.2 TDI engine found in the Volkswagen Polo, SEAT Ibiza, Skoda Roomster and Skoda Fabia was also fitted with software to cheat emissions tests. "

In the UK on sale 2010 - 2014

"The 1.2 TDI engine found in the Volkswagen Polo, SEAT Ibiza, Skoda Roomster and Skoda Fabia was also fitted with software to cheat emissions tests. "

It's odd that he didn't add it to the list.

If you check a VOSA recall checker and a thread on here from this year. There is a recall a proper one on 1.2 diesel engines 55kw. For possible diesel leaks from the fuel filter. VW / SKODA. A member here first spotted in in an Irish paper long before long before the UK recall

No idea if this is the same engine as now being talked about.

'There is a recall on 1.2 Diesel engine cars already. in the UK / EU'.

http://gov.uk/check-if-a-vehicle-has-been-recalled

Proper full Recalls, only some Registered Keepers are missed as usual.

Because the Volkswagen Group get the Registered Keepers Contact details and fail to contact them.

the VWG are even worse when it is a Voluntary Service Campaign.

Cars can be at Official Dealers 'In Trade' and Dealer Employees miss Recalls from VOSA and Service Campaigns.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/332371-a-couple-of-vag-recalls