Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

I think you will find a petrol TSI with ACT cylinder deactivation will be very similar to the a TDI.

Yeah thanks. So to make a dirty petrol a little closer to diesels, you offer us a more complicated engine? No thanks. I'll stick with a diesel which doesnt require cylinder deactivation.

As for petrols not needing as many hp. I think they do. What you mean is a petrol engined car wont require such a large engine to produce the same horses.

Yeah thanks. So to make a dirty petrol a little closer to diesels, you offer us a more complicated engine? No thanks. I'll stick with a diesel which doesnt require cylinder deactivation.

As for petrols not needing as many hp. I think they do. What you mean is a petrol engined car wont require such a large engine to produce the same horses.

I think he means CO2

Not NOx

And you would be laughed straight out of the door!!

Like I said..Seeing as Skoda in the UK/Europe have so far not done, been accused off, or been mentioned in the press of doing anything wrong I don't think you would have a case... ... 

The Norwegians did a Euro 6 on the road test which included a new Passat.

Bearing in mind the limit for Euro 6 is 80g/km

for an 8km drive.

At -7 degrees on a cold start the Passat emitted 400g/km

At 23 degrees on a warm engine it emitted 250g/km

So pretty bad, until you look at some others.

The Mazda CX5 2.2D Euro 6

At -7 degrees on a cold start emitted 800g/km

At 23 degrees on a warm engine emitted 400g/km.

So Mazda doesn't have a cheat map but it's Sky Active system is designed to reduce NOx in the EU laboratory tests and has little effect on the road.

Lee

Labs tests are lab tests & mean nothing in the real world.......................

Just look at quoted MPG figures...................... :D

Also that prove that even in the real world that VAG are more "green" than other cars...........................like I said & others have said.............all the other manufactures will be poo-ing themselves because it will affect them if they get found out & looking at those figures for Mazda how the hell will they be able to de-tune that engine down?.................

How long do you think it will be before companies that offer to remove DPF's from PD engines will offer a service to remove Cheat Devices from CR engines?

:D (where's the Smug PD Owner emoji when you need it?)

Like I said..Seeing as Skoda in the UK/Europe have so far not done, been accused off, or been mentioned in the press of doing anything wrong I don't think you would have a case... ...

This is why I asked the question. I wanted people's opinions on my position as I really don't know where I stand. That's what you've given me, and I thank you for that.

• Like 1

This is why I asked the question. I wanted people's opinions on my position as I really don't know where I stand. That's what you've given me, and I thank you for that.

• Like 1

I take it that you drive a petrol? And what are you doing to offset the (also deadly) CO emissions? I also take it you are planting lots of trees daily to offset the CO2 emissions too?

Also, I am not sure that it is VW alone that is responsible for the 'huge numbers of deaths'. Might be all the other diesel powered vehicles as well?

Mainly drive the Dacia Logan.  Emissions.  NO 10 mg/km, CO 672 mg/km, CO2 116 g/km.

Let compared it to the Mk3 wiesel VRS (make sure you put the emission test pipe up the real exhaust pipe and not the fake on RHS)

Mk3 Octy diesel VRS  NO 135 mg/km, CO 260 mg/Km, CO2 119 g/km

(VCA data)

Thirteen times the NO (which is the constituent of most concern currently)      

Hmmmm., 

Mainly drive the Dacia Logan.  Emissions.  NO 10 mg/km, CO 672 mg/km, CO2 116 g/km.

Let compared it to the Mk3 wiesel VRS (make sure you put the emission test pipe up the real exhaust pipe and not the fake on RHS)

Mk3 Octy diesel VRS  NO 135 mg/km, CO 260 mg/Km, CO2 119 g/km

(VCA data)

Thirteen times the NO (which is the constituent of most concern currently)      

Hmmmm., 

I wouldn't be quite so smug..........................

As I quoted in an post above, another post from someone else

QUOTE"The Norwegians did a Euro 6 on the road test which included a new Passat.

Bearing in mind the limit for Euro 6 is 80g/kmfor an 8km drive.

So Mazda doesn't have a cheat map but it's Sky Active system is designed to reduce NOx in the EU laboratory tests and has little effect on the road." END QUOTE

I'd like to see how your cheap Dacia is in the same test compared to the VRS when even Mazda fails compared to VW...................

Using this thread to generically 'bash' diesels strikes me as rather lame, but its a free country. :)

It is not diesel as an engine cycle it is that the high output version take what is an almost inert gas (N) and create dangerous NO ie Nitrogen Oxides to make a real harmful combination to all animals human, cats, dogs etc.

The diesels with an output of about 50 hp/litre are generally fine.  Add SCR and they are some of the cleanest vehicles on the road for NO and of course CO2.

Diesels trying to emulate something they are not is the issue and specifically when VAG then cheat the test and put people who live in built up areas lives in harms way. 

I wouldn't be quite so smug..........................

As I quoted in an post above, another post from someone else

QUOTE"The Norwegians did a Euro 6 on the road test which included a new Passat.

Bearing in mind the limit for Euro 6 is 80g/kmfor an 8km drive.

So Mazda doesn't have a cheat map but it's Sky Active system is designed to reduce NOx in the EU laboratory tests and has little effect on the road." END QUOTE

I'd like to see how your cheap Dacia is in the same test compared to the VRS when even Mazda fails compared to VW...................

We have known this for several decades.  Even when Catalytic converters were being added similar issues came up.  We were only just starting to use electronic injection systems.

When cars were in the warm up phase the catalytic converter was not working properly due to the platinum catalyst not being up to working temperature.  

In road test rather than lab tests with the colder conditions, in trickling traffic the catalyst never got up to temperature and the emission never got under control.

But this is the beauty of the sub one litre petrol engines.  Fast to warm up and bring all its system up to operating parameters very quickly.

The problem in the US and in Europe is that buyers and therefore auto sales companies have been slow to adopt smaller capacity engines which do reach proper operating parameters in relistic real work conditions it is just car punters still want to have the 2 litre badge on the back of the car.

I would be proud to have 898 cc on the back of my Dacia.  A part from 55 mpg it still cruises at indicated 75 Officer, will do well over 100 mph, on non British roads of course,  and with 4 people and 200 kgs of luggage too.

Perhaps people will start to understand what they need for themselves and what they should be doing for there fellow planet dweller.   

Just to show how much (all be it in the possibly cheated test) that petrol cars (and the lower hp diesel) naturally produce less NO even for the more powerful models.

Also that the SCR fitted Toureg etc do, as in this test, produce much less NO when fitted with SCR.

Why should city dwellers pay with their health for the criminal negligence of VW?

Sorry but I'm struggling to see your NO comment in the data you've provided - there simply aren't enough direct comparisons that can be made given the varying sizes and weights of the vehicles.

What I can see is that higher output engines, or those with a greater swept volume, or that are bigger and heavier and are therefore naturally burning more fuel, emit more NO/km.  That's obvious and simple physics.

I can also see that for a specific power output (not torque, note) a larger swept volume diesel engine is needed and, as per above, this leads to higher NO.

However, what is also interesting is the they show diesel has a higher specific output per emission/km according to your figures than petrol (ie higher PS/NOx) and also that fitting SCR reduces this specific output, which may not be what you were trying to show?

As I said though the sample is too swayed by differing sizes and weights of vehicle - you'd have to have test bench-based data to do a proper comparison.

As for city dwellers paying with their health due to VW - please see my earlier post regarding emissions from VW sources compared to other sources.  You'll find that, in all honesty, it's not VW that city dwellers should be blaming.

I think this falls into the same category as Sub-prime debt, LIBOR, MP's expenses etc. In a way everybody knows it is going on but at the same time pretends that it isn't or that they don't know it is and that is a very slippery slope. Emissions tests bear so little resemblance to real-world driving that they are almost irrelevant and might be considered a bit of joke but they do make a real difference for tax, etc. Playing along with a test knowing that it is pointless is vaguely cynical but taking steps to fiddle the test deliberately is, as VW seem to be only now realising, fraudulent i.e., criminal.

• Like 1