SEL Exec 1.4 TSI - 1k Miles Review

Fantastic review Didorx, really helpful to hear some thorough thoughts on what seems to be quite a less common engine choice! Very much looking forward to sharing my thoughts on the same engine when March comes along!

Slightly concerned about your review of the Pegasus alloys which I've also gone for begrudgingly choosing to spend the money on more gadgets and gizmos! How do you find the ride comfort on them? Nice and supple over bumpy roads?

• Like 2

There are times when the car seems emotionally confused over what do you mean by pressing the gas. This tends to happen when, for example, one quickly slows down in approach to a busy roundabout.. the car nearly stops... one promptly presses the gas hoping to squeeze in to a gap in the merry-go-round... the car goes speechless for what it feels like 2 seconds! Its probably far less than that but the reality is that it's just not the prompt response one would want.

Could the delay at a roundabout also be something to do with cylinder deactivation? 

Great review thanks, I for one will be considering the Series III 1.4  in the future as I'm sure it will be a step up (more power/less weight) from my Series II 1.4 which has been great

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Great review that pretty much echoes my thoughts. I've done about 850 miles so far in my 150ACT. Mines a manual rather than dsg.

Agree with quality, I've not had the pleasure to own/drive premium German brands, but at this stage there isn't much I'd fault with fit and finish. I've got black Alcantara seats which aren't cold to touch and yes heated seats on max are warm rather than hot. The gear stick gaiter and storage box arm rest cover ought to be leather rather than vinyl though. No rattles our squeaks at this stage.

Columbus with Canton is excellent.

Engine suits my driving style well and as Didorx writes, it is up to the job, certainly for UK roads and speed limits. Coming from a diesel previously, you can feel the lightness of the engine up front in terms of readiness to turn in and respond to steering input.

I can occasionally feel when the car powers all for cylinders back up. There can be a faintly detectable wobble from up front under certain throttle conditions but to be honest if I didn't feel this at the same time as the maxidot changing indication, I'd never know.

I need to work on autohold though. I'm finding that I'm raising the clutch to what I think is the bite point at the same time as adding some accelerator. This is fine on the flat but on an incline I often roll back or over rev if I don't hit the bite point as the autohold releases on accelerator. With my previous diesel auto, I used my left foot on the brake, so just need to learn the new car.

Not sure if others will agree but I am finding the steering on the motorway a little frustrating. If correcting position in a lane and you want to make a slight correction, the weighing can feel too much and I find myself over correcting. Again I'll get use to this in time I'm sure, but for rural roads steering combined with the lightness of the engine makes for surprisingly good handling for a big car with no adaptive suspension. Ride comfort and noise on the 17" rims I opted for is great.

Finally, love the colour, see brown saloon photos in the photo thread.

• Like 2

Slightly concerned about your review of the Pegasus alloys which I've also gone for begrudgingly choosing to spend the money on more gadgets and gizmos! How do you find the ride comfort on them? Nice and supple over bumpy roads?

I had 18" wheels with low-profile tyres on the Scirocco so.. that's all I've known for the past 4 years. The S3 is therefore incomparably smoother on the road... I'd say ride is pretty fine indeed.. good over bumps and potholes - you feel them of course but there is no major bang (as it was the case on the rocco). For me it goes back to... what are we comparing it to? A £40k BMW 5 Series? Again, the S3 is just fine..

19" would most likely affect the ride, but can't comment as I haven't driven on them... but in hindsight, I would have ordered them without a test drive - can't possibly be harder than the rocco!

With regards to looks... I think the size "issue" will be less noticeable on yours, because of the darker colour. The wheel arch gap seems more prominent on white. Take a look at the pics of S3s posted on here... many in darker colours and with 17" wheels... looking just great!

Ultimately... I remind myself that I'll spend most of the time enjoying the car from the inside, rather than admiring it from the outside! (60/40 ratio)

Edited by Didorx
  • Like 1

Thanks Didrox, pick mine up on Tuesday, cant wait.

1.4tsi 150 ACT, blue sel withbsome extras.

did the dealer issue advice for the running in

Exciting... you'll love it!

The dealer did say something but... I wasn't listening. I was just focused on the set of keys he was holding! Rather long monologue on his part..

There is however some advice on this in the users manual:

"The engine has to be run in during the first 1 500 kilometres. During this period, the driving style decides on the quality of the driving-in process.

During the first 1 000 km we recommend not driving faster than 3/4 of the maximum permissible engine speed, not to drive at full throttle and to dispense with the trailer.

In the area of 1,000 to 1,500 kilometres the engine load can be increased up to the maximum permitted engine speed."

Edited by Didorx
  • Like 2

Could the delay at a roundabout also be something to do with cylinder deactivation? 

Great review thanks, I for one will be considering the Series III 1.4  in the future as I'm sure it will be a step up (more power/less weight) from my Series II 1.4 which has been great

I've never noticed what happens to the cylinders in these situations but... I do recall having similar behaviour from my Scirocco, which does not have the ACT technology. The slow response "issue" seemed to eventually disappear... either that or I just got used to it.

Edited by Didorx

• 4 months later...

Hello Didorx, thank you very much for your review. I am contemplating a new S3 and am undecided whether to go for the 1.4TSI or the 2.0TDI which most people seem to be going for.  it's nice to be able to read someone's feedback on the 1.4TSI.

Are you still finding the engine powerful enough for your needs and has the fuel consumption improved with the running in period over?

Wondered if you have any comments about the size of the car - do you find the size to be an issue when it comes to parking? Especially after  moving up from the Scirocco?

I went through the 1,000 mile mark in my 1.4TSI manual estate this weekend. Done about 600 miles in the UK with the family & luggage, and a couple of hundred this weekend in France with a mate and two bikes in the back, otherwise it's been pottering around Guernsey at a maximum speed of 35mph - hence TSI rather than TDI.

Swapped a 250bhp Alfa Romeo for my Superb, so was a bit worried about losing 100bhp, but has exceeded expectations to be honest. No problem pulling away or overtaking, even when fully loaded - and it's super quiet too. Mrs Caveman previously had a 1.8TSI Yeti and it pulled pretty well even when loaded, so once I'd worked out the power/weight ratio was actually slightly lower than the Superb then I knew it'd be fine despite only having test driven a 2.0TDI.

As for fuel efficiency, I managed to get up to 45mpg for a two hour run this weekend on mostly rural single carriageway, with a couple of town centres and a few miles on motorway thrown in for good balance. I've found myself getting just under 35mpg at home - to much grumbling from my mate who said he gets 17mpg from his Audi estate.

No problem with the length for parking as has sensors all over it (it's a joy compared with reverse parking our Defender 110!), the only issue I've had getting used to the larger turning circle than my Alfa.

I have a 1.4TSI Manual hatch, have done a shade over 2K miles now.

My run from Bath to Heathrow and back this weekend gave me an average of 49.1mpg on the maxidot. Pretty happy with that.

A most excellent review, thank you for taking the time to write it.

I take it you haven't got or tried the heated windscreen yet as I have tried mine out a few times and compared to the Octavia 3's and Superb II's screens, it is totally rubbish! I had to resort to turning on the zircon to clear it.

The tops of the front doors (where you might rest your elbow) don't appear as tightly screwed to the door internally as I would like. The aircon is misbehaving blowing hell fire through the car on random occasions.

Apart from that, it's quiet and I'm impressed with the economy. I got nearly 800 miles out of the first tank, mostly autoroute and autobahn at 130kph so very impressive for such a large car.

Im not so keen on the seats (coming from leather Octy 3 VRS buckets) and think it's because I am sat so much higher than before. I don't like that but will probably get used to it in time.

Columbus is good, Nav directions are ok, not TomTom clear but good enough. Smartgate, biggest waste of my money as it fails to do anything with any device I have tried to use. Instead, I wish I'd picked TSR as that would mean I'd also have lane assist now but I don't cause I didn't and that really really ****es me off!

Apart from all of these minor faults (apart from Stupidgate) I am happy with the car. I will retune my senses from Octy VRs'ness to Superb soon enough, but right now I miss my Hurcules (SWMBO named her... I.mean...him my darling buttercup!)

• 2 months later...