Best diesel brand fuel economy

Hi there, what brand of fuel do people recommend for diesel octavia.

I tend to use shell v power, does anyone else notice a big difference in the way the car runs with different fuels?

I find the acceleration slightly sluggish when topping up at supermarkets.

Is it an old diesel , or a new one ? if you are a tad more specific, I am sure more helpful people would reply, my advice would be to thrash it now and again, when the speed limits apply of course, and let the turbo warm up a bit first, of course, otherwise, look at the recommended  specifications......

Just my point of view....you could always drive a bit faster after topping up at supermarkets.......

I usually use Shell V Power or Esso Supreme. What Ive notice the is more responsive on V Power but the Supreme gives just slightly better MPG.

Best combo Ive used id V Power and Millers Ecomax.

I find V-power useless for economy, same goes for their standard diesel (the "fuelsave" has been 'temporarily unavailable' in east anglia for 3 years now!). Best for me is either Esso or sometimes BP, though for some strange reason BP is more hit and miss. But esso vs BP is around 5mpg difference.

Tried various brands and noticed nothing different between them so I fill up with any cheap stuff and launch some Archoil in before filling up

Same here. No difference at all in my vrs no matter what I use be it tesco, morrisons, v power, etc etc

Is it an old diesel , or a new one ? if you are a tad more specific, I am sure more helpful people would reply, my advice would be to thrash it now and again, when the speed limits apply of course, and let the turbo warm up a bit first, of course, otherwise, look at the recommended  specifications......

Just my point of view....you could always drive a bit faster after topping up at supermarkets.......

Sorry, Its a 2011 1.6 Greenline. 

As above its impossible to compare fuels for economy unless in a lab, I've actually managed to do 700 miles on one tank of V-Power to the south of France but on a regular week I'll only get around 500 miles from a tank!

• Like 1

Sorry, Its a 2011 1.6 Greenline. 

You run a greenline on vpower ! so you have one of the most fuel efficent cars in the range and put the most expensive fuel in it that dosent make sence to me its your car and your choice i just dont get it ,

The price of fuels is generally down to the additives they have in them ie 

supermarket diesel generally have minimal cleaning additives added or its vapour recovery fuel hence they are cheaper and dirty fuels

normal brand diesel like bp,shell,esso have additives added to help keep the engine and dpf clean

then super diesel like vpower,esso super,bp super have even more additives hence the higher price so it must be better which apparently gives better fuel econemy and power mmmmm

I just use shell or esso normal diesel in my remapped pd170 vrs as they are local and the same price as the supermarket,plus the wont make my engine dirty like the supermarket diesel will,  

All fuels sold in this country have to meet very strict standards, which they all do. There is no such thing as poor quality or 'dirty' fuel in the UK, we're very lucky in that regard.

In terms of MPG, the difference between fuels is minimal if anything. There are 101 factors that will have a bigger effect in each drive; humidity, temperature, road conditions, speed, engine oil and most importantly of all, driving style. It's therefore practically impossible to make judgements on the road.

Where there are differences is in the additives. This may have benefits in the long-run similar to using fuel additives added after filling up. If you're buying premium fuels for MPG you're doing it for the wrong reason, IMO. There is roughly a 6p/litre difference between normal and premium branded fuels. Given we're paying around £1/litre on average, you'd need to see a 6% increase in MPG across an entire tank to break even. You could achieve this by slowing down just a few MPH, regardless of fuel.

In my CR VRS I use Tesco fuel (for the Clubcard Points which I convert to Avios) for the majority of the time and every now and again I give it a couple of tanks of V-Power for the additives. I see no MPG difference between them; with my driving I consistently average 50MPG across a tank, reaching 56MPG if I drive carefully. My best ever is 60MPG on a 40-mile trip.

(FWIW, I live within a few hundred yards of a huge fuel refinery and I see tankers for every fuel brand leave it's gates. This tells me the baseline production is the same, which is to be expected since they all have to meet the same standards)

Edited by RobM
  • Like 3

You run a greenline on vpower ! so you have one of the most fuel efficent cars in the range and put the most expensive fuel in it that dosent make sence to me its your car and your choice i just dont get it,

Well I want to get the best fuel economy out my car not too difficult to understand.

Tried V Power and the only difference was how much it cost... actually thats not true as the MPG went down compared to supermarket fuel (Tesco / Sainsbury’s) so after two tankfuls I didn’t use it again.

Currently use Esso but only because it is on the way to work so convenient (not to mention cheapest) 

As has been mentioned there are that many variables from one day to the next (wind speed and direction, traffic, driver, tyre pressures, road surface, ambient air temperature, electrical load etc. the list is endless) then the actual brand of fuel will make little or no difference.

Any perceived difference will likely be down to the placebo effect.

When you need fuel stop at the next petrol station.

• Like 3

Best fuel economy implies the maximum miles per pound cash. The volume of fuel you use is utterly irrelevant. If there were a magic fuel that gave you double the mpg but cost two and a half times as much per litre, you would be wasting your money.  

• 2 weeks later...

any diesel and use additives. Liqui Moly adds 6 cetanes.

best fuel is fresh fuel. So called premium fuels such as V-Power are rubbish because they are left long time in tank and they make it just fraction compared to normal high quality low cetane fuel. Best solution is standard diesel + additives

I wouldn't worry too much. You have very good fuel in UK. Maybe it has changed since I left in 2011

On rubbish Czech diesel...engine is full of rubbish in no time and additives add huge kick in low revs.

I'm a fan of V-Power, used to be excellent in my old petrol car.

Unfortunately I notice no difference whatsoever in using v power diesel, so i don't bother. At the moment I fill up wherever is less than a quid a litre - It wont be this price forever! :D

It all boils down to how you drive the car and what journey you do and if you have excess weight in the boot.

Almost every mechanic and technician I speak to advise to avoid supermarket diesel at all costs especially in modern diesels.

Yes all fuel starts it's journey at the same refinery. But the additives fuel companies (BP, SHELL, ESSO etc) add before it arrives on a forecourt is what makes it a different product.

If your journies mainly consist of short stop start ones then use shell, BP or ESSO as their additives make the fuel cleaner and therefore will burn cleaner with less residue that could clog up your DPF.

Premium diesel is kinder still to the DPF if the car only makes short stop start journey, it may not feel like there's a difference (like you can with vpower unleaded) but it will be making a difference inside the engine.

Personally I have noticed a difference between normal and premium diesel.

I have only had my VRS CR diesel since 22 December 2015 and have noticed the engine is a bit quieter since I have been using vpower diesel. I am 2 thirds through my 3 tank full therefore that's all that's now in my tank.

I ran the car on shell normal diesel till 20th January.

Edited by Jojo1985g

All fuels sold in this country have to meet very strict standards, which they all do. There is no such thing as poor quality or 'dirty' fuel in the UK, we're very lucky in that regard.

In terms of MPG, the difference between fuels is minimal if anything. There are 101 factors that will have a bigger effect in each drive; humidity, temperature, road conditions, speed, engine oil and most importantly of all, driving style. It's therefore practically impossible to make judgements on the road.

Where there are differences is in the additives. This may have benefits in the long-run similar to using fuel additives added after filling up. If you're buying premium fuels for MPG you're doing it for the wrong reason, IMO. There is roughly a 6p/litre difference between normal and premium branded fuels. Given we're paying around £1/litre on average, you'd need to see a 6% increase in MPG across an entire tank to break even. You could achieve this by slowing down just a few MPH, regardless of fuel.

In my CR VRS I use Tesco fuel (for the Clubcard Points which I convert to Avios) for the majority of the time and every now and again I give it a couple of tanks of V-Power for the additives. I see no MPG difference between them; with my driving I consistently average 50MPG across a tank, reaching 56MPG if I drive carefully. My best ever is 60MPG on a 40-mile trip.

(FWIW, I live within a few hundred yards of a huge fuel refinery and I see tankers for every fuel brand leave it's gates. This tells me the baseline production is the same, which is to be expected since they all have to meet the same standards)

Correct all fuels meet the base line standards but that dosent mean they have the same additives put in them and yes fawley esso refinery supplies different companys because they supply the company i drive a tanker for 

If are fuels are so clean why do so many cars suffer from clogged egr,s poor supermarket fuel no cleaning additives = cheaper fuel .        

• Like 1

Well I want to get the best fuel economy out my car not too difficult to understand.

Super fuel around where i live is 10p more a litre than standard for both diesel and petrol wheres the econemy in that ,

so how much more mpg are you getting with you super fuel let us all know your test results !

• Like 1

Every now and then we use a tankful of BP Ultimate, normally if going a long run. MPG is usually 50+ measured over the tank. We have tried many other fuels but strangely Asda diesel seems to give the best MPG. Best achieved so far is 54.1 MPG but can't remember if Asda or BP. Runs well on BP Ultimate. Also runs well on Esso performance fuel but MPG is well down.

Edited by FatblokeVRS

• 2 months later...

I use Murco diesel as its about 500m from where I live (never heard of it till I moved here). I sometimes use standard Shell if they have an offer with the drivers club (like bonus points). Other than those, I use whatever fuel I just so happen to be passing when I need some, be it supermarket or branded, but price does play a factor. I won't fill up at Shell if Asda is next door. My long term average is 2189 miles from 161.6 litres. I believe that to be perfectly acceptable. If your interested the trip computer long term average is very optimistic at 67mpg. My best trip computer reading so far from Salisbury to Ipswich is 78 but in reality, it's nowhere near that.

I will add that it's a 1.9 tdi PD 105 with a few tweaks to the map. It's just about ran in now at 161000 miles and I do a fair bit of motorway driving but some of that is on Londons giant car park, the M25.