Is DSG worth canceling my order for?

DSG is less relaxing than the manual at motorway speeds due to the lower gearing

80mph in the manual is 2000rpm in 6th. same speed in the DSG is 2500rpm, effectively the same as the 5th gear in manual.

and fuel economy is worse. I frequently switch between 2 cars which are identical apart from the gearboxes and hate the DSG 

• Like 1

The 6-speed DSG in our 2006 2.0 TDi was ok but that was about it. The 7-speed in our 2015 1.8 TSi is brilliantly smooth - you really can't tell when it's changing gear. An automatic is always going to cost more than a manual - go for it!

For my 2 pence worth - go for the DSG.

I've changed from a facelift 2009 TSI VRS manual to a MY2016 DSG and find that DSG very smooth and more relaxing than the manual.

If you want to play in manual mode you can, but not as freely as a manual, in that you have to think ahead a little bit for multiple gear changes - it does change immediately when dropping gears.

It's all personal preference but +1 for the DSG :sun:

When I went to look at my previous vRS (Mk2 FL) I found that it had DSG.  I was rather sceptical but after driving it I loved it and wondered why I had been changing gear manually all these years.  I had no hesitation in getting another DSG when I came to change to the Mk3.

Last year, I swapped my Roomster manual for a Roomster DSG.  As others have said, DSG is brilliant and I would not want to go back to a manual.

Mine has the 7-speed DSG but I recently test drove a Yeti with 6-speed DSG and found it equally smooth.

You said you intend to keep your new car for up to eight years, and that a re-order cost for DSG will be £500.

£500 divided by 8 comes to a little over sixty quid per year.

So, your re-order cost for a DSG will be the equivalent of around a tankful of fuel per year.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

Good luck with whichever you choose.

There are lots of people who change their order before the car has been given a build date from the factory.

There's no reason why the dealer should charge you 500gbp extra except for the 5 minutes it takes them to change the order in their system.

Sounds like they are just trying to make another 500gbp out of you.

How about asking another dealer to match your original price + DSG & using that as leverage against the current dealer?

• Like 1

If you've signed a contract (order) for a car and you change your mind, the dealer has the right to keep the deposit.

Hopefully though they will want to keep your custom and offer a good deal to change.

Thanks guys for the replys  :thumbup: Build date is locked in at week 14 as the dealer showed me on his PC plus Skoda UK confirmed this. 

Good news is the test drive went really well and I surprisingly really enjoyed the manual, I was dead set by the time I got there to cancel but after driving around for 20 mins in the manual I was happy with it and was having fun. This may be down to me jumping in a VRS after driving my C4 grand picasso for 40mins in heavy traffic and I know the DSG is a lot smoother then my gear changing but at an extra £1200+ and £500 cancel fee I couldn't justify it to myself (or my wife :dull: ).

Thanks again for all your input

cheers  

• Like 1

My wife and I have has DSG Skodas and VW's for years. I have experienced the gradual improvement in DSG boxes since the first Octavia in 2007; the only way that you know that our present Mk.3 is changing gear is the rev counter 'flick'. There's no way we'd ever go back to a manual car; IMO, manual gearboxes are yesterday's technology and gear changing in our modern traffic conditions is a much over rated pastime! 

My wife and I have has DSG Skodas and VW's for years. I have experienced the gradual improvement in DSG boxes since the first Octavia in 2007; the only way that you know that our present Mk.3 is changing gear is the rev counter 'flick'. There's no way we'd ever go back to a manual car; IMO, manual gearboxes are yesterday's technology and gear changing in our modern traffic conditions is a much over rated pastime!

Agreed. As our traffic gets worse we will see more and more autos like America.

This is essentially why my next skoda is going to be a DSG. I like the control and engagement that you get from a manual, and the satisfaction of block-changing/rev-matching smoothly etc. However my drive to work is a stop-start affair to say the least and my left leg is rapidly approaching twice the size of my right one.

I have today driven a Citroen Picasso with the auto box. I couldn't believe how bad it was. It felt like a box from the 1970's. Every time it changed up or down, it felt like I'd stabbed the clutch down and then slipped my foot off the pedal.

Thank goodness for my DSG.

• Like 1

I have today driven a Citroen Picasso with the auto box. I couldn't believe how bad it was. It felt like a box from the 1970's. Every time it changed up or down, it felt like I'd stabbed the clutch down and then slipped my foot off the pedal.

Thank goodness for my DSG.

Thats how I feel everyday on my daily commute, counting down the days to my new car  

I regret not getting a dog, I think the car would be better for it as the 6 speed box is a pain low down and when cold.

Not to worry. I trained my dog to use both manual and DSG. He prefers the DSG though.

• Like 3

Would anyone run a dsg after the warranty expired?

DSG has been around a long time now, some 13years! Apart from the odd horror story, I understand them to be reasonably ok.

Lots of people buy and sell DSG cars way outside of any manufactures warranty period.

Think 7 speed dry clutch jobbies had most problems.

The big problem I think lots of us suffer,or at least I do, is having had new or a nearly new car, we tend to like the comfort/peace of mind a manufactures or main dealers warranty provides and then feel we have to stay in that comfort (newness) zone.

Edited by Defenderben

Not to worry. I trained my dog to use both manual and DSG. He prefers the DSG though.

And presumably he prefers a TDI because its got no catalytic converter?

The only reason I have an auto is because of a damaged knee, that makes pumping and balancing a clutch a nightmare, so an auto/DSG is the only real option for me.

If I still had a good knee, I'd have a manual and still have a motorbike, however I don't, so a DSG it is.

I wonder how long it'll be before they start charging for a manual as an option, over the DSG?

• Like 1