What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

2 hours ago, numskull said:

What do you mean when you say your lights are non sla? . 

SLA = Smart Light Assist.

It's Skoda's Gen 1 version of matrix lighting, but using special rollers and shutters to mask/bend/shape the high beam, whilst using Xenons.

There r two types of Bi-Xenon headlights in the pre-facelift:-

1. Version A is non-SLA.  It can do AFS and High Beam Assist (HBA).

2. Version B is SLA.  It can do AFS and SLA.

Physically u can tell the difference by looking at the part number on top of the headlight, the one that starts with 3V. 

If it ends in A, u have non-SLA.

If it ends in B, u have SLA.

Or turn on ur headlights (low beam) and see if the whiskers (7 thin strips inside the headlight) r illuminated.

If they do - u have SLA.

If they don't - non-SLA.

The other way is to tell by the headlight start-up dance.

If it makes a U-shaped beam during the sequence, it has SLA.

The facelift Superb came with Matrix Lighting using LED tech, as is used by many other brands.

The new mk4 Superb comes with an improved version of Matrix Lighting....so they say.

Edited by JR RS

17 hours ago, numskull said:

What do you mean when you say your lights are non sla? But you’re certainly brave; I hope they don’t melt your headlamp housings. 

Hello, non sla xenon headlamps (don't have led strips) and  have 2 clips to hold the lamp and don't have the green fixture that screws to the head lamp .

These bevinsee led lights have 3 year warranty.

I have the fog lights working for a long time  with this brand and didn't have any problem.

Pitcures taken from this post 

NON SLA BIXENON

Screenshot_20190203-224932.png

SLA VERSION 

Xenon plastic adaptor.JPG

Ahhh, right.. Thanks, I thought it might be that but wasn’t sure.
I’m thinking about replacing the current OE Xenon’s with Osram Xenarc Gen 2, but the fitting seems to be ridiculously difficult, so may leave it til the weather improves. 

On 13/11/2023 at 07:22, JR RS said:

The facelift Superb came with Matrix Lighting using LED tech, as is used by many other brands.

Facelift being from what year onwards in the Sportline?  Just trying to understand what lights my MY21 Sportline would have. 

8 hours ago, Donweather said:

Facelift being from what year onwards in the Sportline?  Just trying to understand what lights my MY21 Sportline would have. 

MY21 is facelift.

Facelift has skinnier headlights and skinny foglights, and uses LEDs.

I think they started rolling out from MY20 onwards.

Top = facelift

Bottom = pre-facelift 

408267350_images(13).jpeg.df06e33310c7fab49c9bb0a143331c7d.jpeg

Edited by JR RS

37 minutes ago, JR RS said:

MY21 is facelift.

Facelift has skinnier headlights and skinny foglights, and uses LEDs.

I think they started rolling out from MY20 onwards.

Top = facelift

Bottom = pre-facelift 

408267350_images(13).jpeg.df06e33310c7fab49c9bb0a143331c7d.jpeg

Ok thanks although my headlight does look more like the bottom pic but my fogs look more like the top pic!!

edit: I stand corrected. Headlight looks like top pic yeah?

121281FC-32A3-4EE9-BD77-8A041563C525.jpeg

Edited by Donweather

Can anyone recommend led bulbs for the reversing light? The stock ones are kind of useless...

Thinking about mounting some extra reverselights but would like to try to upgrade the stock ones to led first to see if that makes any differens.

2 hours ago, Ynnoj85 said:

Can anyone recommend led bulbs for the reversing light? The stock ones are kind of useless...

Thinking about mounting some extra reverselights but would like to try to upgrade the stock ones to led first to see if that makes any differens.

Hold that thought!

I’m literally replacing mine tomorrow and will update with before and afters around 5:30pm and hopefully saying no errors

16 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Hold that thought!

I’m literally replacing mine tomorrow and will update with before and afters around 5:30pm and hopefully saying no errors

Okey, yeah looking forward to some info later on then 👍

10 hours ago, Ynnoj85 said:

A few years back I had changed my factory reverse light bulbs to Auxito LED bulbs.

these were step up in lighting.

recently i went with a different LED bulb and it was yet again another step up!!!
these r the ones i got - iilumo Flare BA15S (1156)

highly recommended.

This is inside before and after 

IMG_0051.thumb.jpeg.b6debb216b532c98c6cdd8f334d3b4fb.jpeg

after

IMG_0059.thumb.jpeg.447f8682a363ee30cbbef4eb2b693db0.jpeg

this is what I bought with BF discount 

https://autobeam.co.uk/collections/382-p21w/products/led-382-reverse-unit-set

I reckon we’d get the Wow factor with the ones JR RS uses but only in Australia and I suspect shipping is crazy.

No errors on dash though which is good, maybe if it was pitch black it would be better but not many times I’d be reversing when it’s pitch black

On 24/11/2023 at 19:42, Ynnoj85 said:

Thanks for the pictures 😊

I used my car last night and seemed a lot brighter, I used them later on and remembered my council is stingy and dim the street lights at 11pm.

I’d say it’s worth it and even though when I took the pictures I wasn’t massively impressed they are still way better than originals

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Changed my 5yo xenon bulbs with the same xenarc d3s. No particular complaint of the old ones just a mild purple hue when lit up during warm-up. Not sure if you can notice the difference. Left is new right is old. It does though make for a better visibility at night. At just 47euros a piece and 4y warranty I preferred them to the laser night breaker.IMG_2480.jpeg.260802a850a6253d3ba1237b3a14f177.jpeg 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 20:22, JR RS said:

SLA = Smart Light Assist.

It's Skoda's Gen 1 version of matrix lighting, but using special rollers and shutters to mask/bend/shape the high beam, whilst using Xenons.

There r two types of Bi-Xenon headlights in the pre-facelift:-

1. Version A is non-SLA.  It can do AFS and High Beam Assist (HBA).

2. Version B is SLA.  It can do AFS and SLA.

Physically u can tell the difference by looking at the part number on top of the headlight, the one that starts with 3V. 

If it ends in A, u have non-SLA.

If it ends in B, u have SLA.

Or turn on ur headlights (low beam) and see if the whiskers (7 thin strips inside the headlight) r illuminated.

If they do - u have SLA.

If they don't - non-SLA.

The other way is to tell by the headlight start-up dance.

If it makes a U-shaped beam during the sequence, it has SLA.

The new mk4 Superb comes with an improved version of Matrix Lighting....so they say.

Hi I have the SLA version and have to say the headlights are awful on these cars, I was a bit spoilt as I had LEDs on my previous car which was an Audi A6 

My question is how can I improve the headlights ? I have to drive with the front fogs on they are that bad !

On 30/12/2023 at 12:24, MP74 said:

Hi I have the SLA version and have to say the headlights are awful on these cars, I was a bit spoilt as I had LEDs on my previous car which was an Audi A6 

My question is how can I improve the headlights ? I have to drive with the front fogs on they are that bad !

Sounds like urs is not setup up right.

The Bi-xenons on the mk3 Superb r great, if aligned/setup correctly.

The SLA is great too.

Here is mine in action.  All I've changed is the D3S globes to Phillips XtremeVision Gen2.

And another......

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

God, what next, we are losing the ability to do stuff ourselves and use our own brains.

lights are way to bright now, and I really hate people with front fog lights on when it's not foggy. It's actually illegal and classed as misuse of lights, fine and 3 points if your unlucky.

Rear number plate lights being changed to led. They are too bright and don't light up the plate. They just reflect white light off the plate or body paint. That again can be an MOT failure for white light on the rear of your car.

Some cars the lights on the front and back can be so bright you can't see the indicator straight away. I've been driving 30 years and never needed fog lights coming on to go round a corner. What a load of sales gimmickry.

What is this world coming to.

Sorry ... Rant over.... 😕

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Currymunster said:

God, what next, we are losing the ability to do stuff ourselves and use our own brains.

lights are way to bright now, and I really hate people with front fog lights on when it's not foggy. It's actually illegal and classed as misuse of lights, fine and 3 points if your unlucky.

Rear number plate lights being changed to led. They are too bright and don't light up the plate. They just reflect white light off the plate or body paint. That again can be an MOT failure for white light on the rear of your car.

Some cars the lights on the front and back can be so bright you can't see the indicator straight away. I've been driving 30 years and never needed fog lights coming on to go round a corner. What a load of sales gimmickry.

What is this world coming to.

Sorry ... Rant over.... 😕

I think you are wrong....I had a Audi a6 with LEDs and the world change for me at night, much easier .

As for front fogs round corners , on mine it's a huge improvement. 

Think you just dont like change mate.

Some people need special lighting and stuff others as long as they seen on the dark side of the moon while others get about fine without Special Needs Lighting.

If they think back their mother maybe warned them what would happen to their eyesight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MP74 said:

I think you are wrong....I had a Audi a6 with LEDs and the world change for me at night, much easier .

As for front fogs round corners , on mine it's a huge improvement. 

Think you just dont like change mate.

Then we think each other is wrong. I'm not scared of change, the sliced loaf was an amazing invention! Seriously though. It's all about how you perceived the situation.

Of you drove a 1963 VW Beetle on a 6v battery you would really, and I mean really know what bad head lights are like. Thankfully, change had happened and I welcome it. First it was halogen. Brilliant! Trouble is it's now going the other way. Where do you do with your own safety and start thinking about others safety around you?

Statistics show there are 280 crashes in the UK due to dazzling headlights and 6 of those a year are fatal. Hence why the AA is trying to get the government to do something.

There is no way that fog lights make you see further. They only illuminate a few metres immediately in front of the car. You should be looking at the road way ahead of that. They are designed to keep the light low so that light will not reflect of the water droplets of fog and dazzle self. They are inherently brighter that normal lights. Just like rear fog lights. Visibility to be less than 100m. The clue is in the name

FOG light

Here's the law

Rule 226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Government collision statistics shows that since 2013, there has been an average of 280 collisions a year where dazzling headlights were a contributory factor. Of these, six a year involved someone losing their life.10 Jan 2024

So, to every one. 

save your money on a fine and points on your licence

turn the fog lights off and stop being hell bent on brighter lights. The cars these days are more than bright enough. I don't even use full beam these days they are that good.

On a side  note, I one followed a cat that hit a parked cars door that was open. It was night time and the parked cars lights were on. Poor person in front could not see around the car due to the bright lights on. 

yes, it's the moving cars fault but it wouldn't have happened if lights were not as bright.

automatic full beam. What a joke.

I see that it first dip until it actually sees the oncoming lights. If I used my full beam they would be dipped before as humans can see the light around the corner. That brings me to another point. Lights are so bright now that sometimes people can't see the lights around the corner to dip early.

I won't talk about the knight rider indicators. 😂🤣

No personal insult is intended. It's just my opinion.

safe driving everyone xx

9 hours ago, Rooted said:

Some people need special lighting and stuff others as long as they seen on the dark side of the moon while others get about fine without Special Needs Lighting.

If they think back their mother maybe warned them what would happen to their eyesight. 

Love it 😁👍

• Like 1

The Cornering Fog Lights were / are Sh!te.  Cornering Headlights a different thing if one or other FOG light is not used.

The Most ridiculous thing i first spotted and then read about was in the Yeti Section.

Activating the Front Fog Lights to Automatically come on as you selected reverse.

Then it caught on, And cornering Front Fogs as you reverse.

Total Plonkers pull up roadside and reverse into a drive putting Front Fogs on regardless of who is coming towards them.

If the Needed Front Fogs on to reverse they obviously could press the button and turn on the Front Fogs. Turn on the rear as well if extra lighting is needed. 

• Love it! 1