Bodyshop Staff Possibly Using My Vehicle For Their Own Use

Report them to the Police, Car taken without your consent.

They will be Insured whilst work is carried out but not for going home/riding around in.

What would happen if they crashed it....................

Just to add :-

What would happen if they killed/ seriously injured someone, you might have some explaining to do

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 3

might have been a test drive to check wind noise from the tailgate lol

Only in reverse though..

That's shocking if they've been using it. Keep us updated with the outcome.

Edited by AJ7788

Will keep you posted. Will be working on my strategy tonight.

I currently have complaints in the process with Virgin Media Mobile Insurance involving four faulty replacement mobiles.

And today I've discovered Virgin Media have been taking payments off me even though I left them four months ago.

I'm busier since retiring than I was working full time! ;)

Don't you check your banking online?

I'm retired, nothing gets unnoticed by me now in 4 days let alone 4 months, especially money wise.

Yep, time on my hands I guess and yes I'm busy, busy but in a good way.

If I saw found them doing that, I would go at night with the spare keys and take the car home. Then await the very awkward phone call in the morning.

'Your vehicle has been taken, sir.'

'Taken from where, your premises?'

Then see where it goes from there emoticon-0100-smile.gif

The accident thing is a very serious risk. If the business insurance did not cover them to take the vehicle home, then the responsibility falls on your own insurance under their compulsory 3rd party obligations.

Edited by Huskoda
  • Like 1

If I saw found them doing that, I would go at night with the spare keys and take the car home. Then await the very awkward phone call in the morning.

'Your vehicle has been taken, sir.'

'Taken from where, your premises?'

Then see where it goes from there emoticon-0100-smile.gif

The accident thing is a very serious risk. If the business insurance did not cover them to take the vehicle home, then the responsibility falls on your own insurance under their compulsory 3rd party obligations.

Exactly that, I would have done the same. It's not like they would have phoned the police as they wouldn't be able to explain it.

As stated earlier, it was my intention to go to the residential area and photograph my vehicle in situ, however, I had a few beers with my evening meal and the drink driving limit in Scotland is less than in England. Also it is a 30 Minute commute each way including 17 miles via the M74 which is under Average Speed Camera control and it's also subject to random Lane closures.

Also it would not have been wise to have removed the vehicle due to me signing the vehicle over to the dealer to carry out the warranty work; technically it belongs to the dealership. It's the exact same situation if you ever tried to reclaim items you loaned to your neighbour from their garden/shed etc, which your neighbour is refusing to hand back.

I believe I have enough evidence to prove my point.

Technically, it's your vehicle and you entrusted it to them so they should be treating it with due care. It's not technically their vehicle at all and you're entitled to reclaim it if you find it sitting about somewhere it's not supposed to be (as in they lost it or are not taking reasonable care of it). That was the advice my solicitor gave me when I found mine on a housing estate.

Technically, it's your vehicle and you entrusted it to them so they should be treating it with due care. It's not technically their vehicle at all and you're entitled to reclaim it if you find it sitting about somewhere it's not supposed to be (as in they lost it or are not taking reasonable care of it). That was the advice my solicitor gave me when I found mine on a housing estate.

Are you certain of this? Scots law is different to the rest of the UK.

I would imagine that regardless of the country what they have done is essentially theft, they are just bringing it back... unless they smash it. You signed it over to the dealer, who gave it to them to fix. But its still your car which they are misusing..

Just wait till they've fixed it tell them you won't mention the illegal use of your car if they don't mention the bill.

• Like 4

I don't think he is footing the bill but on another note is their any other bodywork that you need doing but don't want to pay for .

If you play this right you could find yourself in a advantageous position. Does make you wonder though what else are people getting up to in our cars without us knowing? I only use 2 different garages and lucky for me our company does all the work in said garages, so I know them quite well.

When I was getting the cambelt and waterpump changed last year, my dashcam caught the mechanic ragging the nuts off the car and driving through a red light. The route taken was backed up by my tracker.

There is more to this, but will reveal all (far! fnar!) at a later date.

Oh, the mechanic was a Skoda one, and when I complained the dealership gave me two options;continue to use them. Or I could go elsewhere!

I'm sure you could come up with a couple of counter options for the managing director to consider.

One of which might involve his dealership named and shamed beside a US hosted video that he'll have no chance of getting taken down.

Report them to the Police, Car taken without your consent.

They will be Insured whilst work is carried out but not for going home/riding around in.

What would happen if they crashed it....................

Just to add :-

What would happen if they killed/ seriously injured someone, you might have some explaining to do

They'll be insured for any motor vehicle in their custody or control in connection with the business - if the employee who took the vehicle home was insured for SDP then it would have been covered under their road risks policy.

The car certainly wasn't taken without Fin69's consent - it was legitimately in the custody or control of the body shop - that doesn't of course mean he is isn't 100% right to feel totally p***** off.

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

Does your tracker give you the journey info? As in the speed.

Mine transmits every 10seconds when it wakes up from detecting motion and the way points of every 10second interval appear on the logged route and it shows the speed which is very handy, especially when it's in with the garage.

Wouldn't such use would create a tax liability which the company should be keeping record of and individual declaring 'if' it's somehow above board in their cover and small print of agreement signed on handover. If the use is deemed as commuting that is? Person otherwise is benefiting from free commuting directly from the company.... 

On another note are you required to keep the vehicle taxed when it's in garage or can it be SORN'd at their address? As in say it's going in for bodywork on 30th of a month and will be in there for at least a few weeks could you SORN it on the off chance in case it overruns a month and thus save a months VED? 

It all still begs the question - was there any legitimate reason for taking the car away from the bodyshop, and specifically in connection with the reason it was in the bodyshop in the first place?

If the owner hadn't previously been made aware/asked permission of any need to move the car some distance/to another site (and he states it's several miles here, not just across the road) and there's no legitimate reason, then that counts as TWOC.

They'll be insured for any motor vehicle in their custody or control in connection with the business - if the employee who took the vehicle home was insured for SDP then it would have been covered under their road risks policy.

The car certainly wasn't taken without Fin69's consent - it was legitimately in the custody or control of the body shop - that doesn't of course mean he is isn't 100% right to feel totally p***** off.

He gave them consent to repair the vehicle, not drive around in it, and unless Scottish law regarding TWOC is very different to the uk, that's still a criminal offence.