Leather or fabric seats?

Ive been looking the Skoda Superb and I like the idea of leather seats but wonder whether fabric/ cloth covered seats would be more practical - any experience / guidance or knowledge would  be appeciated.

Love leather. Wouldn't have any different. I suspect you'll get as many loving as hating. I personally don't find them cold in winter (heated seats) and never noticed it sweaty in summer. Had leather seats in various cars for the last 15 years and always a preferred option well worth the money.

Edited by nthurrzzz
  • Like 1

I've now experienced leather for the first time in winter and summer.

Winter : Heated seats so not a problem

Summer : Cant say i've had a problem with it been too hot and weve had a number of 24' days with the car left outside

• Like 1

I wish rubber seats were available.......sexxxy and bouncy......mmmmm (especially in orange)

But only with PINK paintwork, if I recall?

Back on theme in the real world - I've had leather for the last 20 years and this was the tough leather that indeed suffered from butt-baking heat in summer and ball-numbing cold in winter.

With the Superb II and Superb III, with its softer Napa-like leather, I've no longer found it to be a hot/cold problem.

On higher end cars with thicker leather (still soft, not the cheap hard stuff), I'd take the leather. I personally found the leather on the S3 too thin, it looked like paper-thin vinyl stretched over a piece of foam when we looked at the demonstrators. The leather literally moved around like it wasn't secured to the foam underneath, and had already creased (like a crease in a shirt, not like nicely worn quality leather). The ventilated seats looked more premium, but I much preferred the third option; Alcantara. So we got that one. As was said above, everyone is different in their likes and dislikes. :)

I tend to not like heat very much and i'll start sweating after a while even on cloth seats (i'm not even fat).

A cinema replaced their seats from cloth to leather and i cannot bear it. After 10 minutes my back is soaked and i have to carry an extra item of clothing to fold behind my back so it gets some ventilation.

Cannot imagine how much i would hate leather seats. Maybe with the cooling function, but then you're already paying over 3k€ for the privilege.

You mileage may vary, of course. Depends on how you like leather seats elsewhere and if you get sweaty or not.

On higher end cars with thicker leather (still soft, not the cheap hard stuff), I'd take the leather. I personally found the leather on the S3 too thin, it looked like paper-thin vinyl stretched over a piece of foam when we looked at the demonstrators. The leather literally moved around like it wasn't secured to the foam underneath, and had already creased (like a crease in a shirt, not like nicely worn quality leather). The ventilated seats looked more premium, but I much preferred the third option; Alcantara. So we got that one. As was said above, everyone is different in their likes and dislikes. :)

If L&K was available with alcantara that would be my #1 choice. I'm about to order an L&K "unfortunately" with leather as only option...

• Like 1

I also suggest the ventilated seats. I have them on my car and they make the seats very comfortable in hot weather. I have not yet tried them with the seat heating turned on since I have only had the car for a couple of weeks

I love leather seats - have had them in my last 3 cars.  Yeah they do get a bit chilly in the winter (but are nice and toasty with the warmers) and they get a bit hot in the summer which is why I'm getting mine with the ventilated seats but they stay so clean and are so resistant to wear and tear.

Take it from me, I have a black car with black leather seats and live through summers here where we see temps of up to 46C on a regular basis - last summer we had a spell of 11 days over 40 in a row.  If I can make it through without the seats burning me up its a piece of cake for you guys ;-)  

In fact even worse than my own experience is my brother in law's car - Espresso brown BMW with black seats and he lives in Abu Dhabi, UAE.  You don't know what a hot car is until you've got into that thing with the outside temperature pushing 55 degrees....  I once burnt myself on the seatbelt buckle badly enough that it blistered.

• Like 4

Ive been looking the Skoda Superb and I like the idea of leather seats but wonder whether fabric/ cloth covered seats would be more practical - any experience / guidance or knowledge would  be appeciated.

At the moment I'm sat on MY leather sofa at home, opposite my wife who is sat on HER fabric sofa. I know which one is easier to keep clean, stays looking clean without much effort, and which one I prefer to sit on and find more comfortable. Decision made for me.

I have leather in my vRS and cloth in my Scout. No strong feelings either way comfort or heat / cold-wise, but one thing to consider is that a leather-clad car smells MUCH better inside.

I've had the vRS from new and, six years later, still smells suitably leathery!

I echo the above thoughts about leather being much easier to clean - I have two kids aged 8 and 10 so have years of seat-cleaning expertise!!

Edited by dunc69

Could I disturb the thread somewhat with another question: leather seats or ventilated leather seats?

A part from the actual ventilation, what do you think of the leather material itself? I must say I prefer the solid leather, to me the perforated leather in the ventilated seats looks just somewhat cheaper. Agree or not?

I'm going for beige leather either way, so I don't think heat will be much of an issue here in Norway during summer - so ventilation is just "nice to have" to me, apart from the fact that I think solid leather seats look better...