Columbus Sales & Repair.

Rustynuts

Thanks for your reply, you've been really helpful and I appreciate it no end!

Yes, the car has a handsfree kit on it already but I'm not sure if that's through the radio or not as I can play music via Bluetooth (when the Swing wants to communicate with my phone).

So I'd need a DAB aerial like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-DAB-radio-antenna-aerial-Columbus-Amundsen-Bolero-SWING-RNS-RCD-510-315-31/253861574704?hash=item3b1b543830:g:HPUAAOSw7Spb0Ad~:rk:25:pf:0

Edited by WolfyWesty

• 1 month later...

RUSTYNUTS,   HELP !!

I have  Superb 2 Estate,  2012 with the Columbus system. When I turned the map on this morning at home, It showed the finish flag for my home but showed my actual position about 20 miles away. I decided to go for a drive and see what happened. The map rotated as you would expect as I drove, but always in the wrong place. I set the navigation to go home, although it appeared to know where the finish flag was, it wasn't able to get me there, (still showing an error of about 20 miles.) When I got home, I tried a navigation reset, (left arrow, right arrow and microphone) but the system restarted with the same error. This is the first trouble in all the years I've had the car. I would be grateful for your thoughts. Regards. Nigel England.

I could've sworn I repliede to this post, but I seem to have managed to fail.

Sounds like the GPS antenna is faulty and isn't giving the required info to the unit. On the maps screen, press the "Maps" button again and it opens a second window with a drop down menu. Select "GPS Viewer" from this menu and report back with what it says.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rustynuts,

I would welcome your help or any suggestions for my problem. I have a MIB1 Columbus in my 2013 Octavia. When I got it it was running 0111 firmware. Over the years I have upgraded to 0411 firmware with Andy Vaughan's help. The maps are up to date (P175).

When I got the car I put the radio logos on to the DAB and FM presets with no problems and the Traffic function worked well, re-routing properly with dynamic routing. However, some time ago, the unit refused to take any DAB logos. It started when I set 1 new preset and tried to assign a logo and it failed to take it, then gradually as I have replaced the presets with new stations, that I can no longer assign logos at all in DAB, it works perfectly in FM. The only logo that works is BBC World Service, but that is OTA. The other issue is that the traffic function has stopped working, it just states "No Reports Found". This happened about 18 months ago. The FM radio is working perfectly, as I understand that the information comes via FM. I am wondering if the unit needs a proper reset, rather than the soft reset of holding the power button. All other functions are fine, DAB reception is good, and mapping is otherwise ok. Thanks.

I'm not much help wit MIB units, this thread relates to the earlier Columbus units.

However, my first Octavia with anMIB1 unit had the same issues as yours, no station logos could be saved and no traffic function. It was a faulty unit I gather but I never got it repaired.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question (sorry if this is the wrong place).

When booting, our Columbus has a 1 pixel high red line on the screen, stretching from the Skoda logo to the right edge. Once it has booted there's no red line. It's always done this, and works fine.

IMG_20190624_205514.thumb.jpg.7bc0e7ebbf5b4ec501549c8d2dbfeb05.jpg

Does this mean something?

• 5 months later...

Another satisfied customer here.....

The Rev.A Columbus in my Superb locked up last Monday and after PMing him on here Andy helped me via PM initially to ascertain that it was the main board that had gone. So, after confirming he had a unit available to purchase, a couple of days later on the Friday I had a trip up to visit him and in no time at all the old faulty Columbus was out of the car and a lot newer Rev.N SSD / DAB unit was installed and coded in to the car. As the existing unit was only FM/AM he also ran the new DAB antenna in for me behind the dashboard and up the 'A' pillar ready for me to fix into place once I had decided where to position it.

After saying my thank-you's and goodbye's I pulled over in a lay-by just down the road from Andy to set the new unit up as the old unit had been before then heading back down the A1 and whilst i was parked up I received a call from Andy telling me he had just driven past and asking if everything was OK and if i needed any help. Now that's what i call service!!!!!! 👍👍👍

I can safely say I'd have no hesitation in recommending Andy and his excellent service and assistance.

Thanks again. 👍

• Like 2

@Rustynuts

Having some issues with Columbus system

Suspect battery drain is linked... Vcds scan shows short to ground/ open circuit to ground or something to that effect... 

Phone sometimes doesnt play sound through... Can hear alternator whine through speakers when on a call..sometimes aux input needs to be deactivated / reactivated... Bluetooth is hit and miss

Can the unit be repaired or is it easier to buy a new 1. Assume the rns510DAB is a straight swap? (Already got the antenna as use an aux dab adapter)

Finger crossed this sounds like something that can be fixed?

Thanks in advance

• 6 months later...

I just had the car in for service and asked for the latest map update which they said they'd check on.  My service bill says no change required as the maps are up to date.  I'm slightly skeptical.  I have a 2014 TDI Combi which is technically MY 2015 but built/delivered in October 2014.  My Columbus has no DAB, but has Bluetooth/HFP.  Short of sliding things out mechanically is there an easy way to tell if this is the case?

3 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

You don't say specifically what car you have and what version of Columbus is installed. A pic of the unit would help.

Superb Mark II Combi 4x4 TDI 125 Sport.

Do you just need the unit photo or the screen turned on?

BDE53BFB-308B-489C-AF3C-E4CE31D9B84F_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Rumbeard

Yeah. that's the right unit for this thread at least.

However, I see you're in Australia, and I'm not sure when the maps were last updated for your region.

If you press and hold "Setup" until it cycles to the screen where it says "Version Information", touch this, and then scroll down to the bottom where it'll have the maps version listed, take a photo of this and pop it on here so at least I can see what you have. I'll try and find out what updates are available, but I'm not certain I can help much.

18 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Yeah. that's the right unit for this thread at least.

However, I see you're in Australia, and I'm not sure when the maps were last updated for your region.

If you press and hold "Setup" until it cycles to the screen where it says "Version Information", touch this, and then scroll down to the bottom where it'll have the maps version listed, take a photo of this and pop it on here so at least I can see what you have. I'll try and find out what updates are available, but I'm not certain I can help much.

Yes. Attached

3F5099B3-8CCD-47A4-A1D9-656E856F3239_1_201_a.jpeg

4BFCC17C-D224-4911-A068-E8DD5C84C0BE_1_201_a.jpeg

I think 8207 are known as V8 from around 2014/2015?

Some sites claim the latest Aus/NZ version is V13 although they are pretty expensive and I expect a dealer may be even more.

V9 was the last official version of RNS510 maps for Australia, since then VW haven't released any updates.  The updates available to buy online (up to V13 apparently) are generated from BMW maps and converted to run on the RNS510, there's a requirement to downgrade from V9 to V8 prior to installing the later hacked versions too. The same BMW hack was used for Eastern Europe maps for the past few years until VW released a genuine version this year.