1.8 TSI High oil consumption..

I bought my Octavia Mk 2 with a 1.8 TSI engine early this year.

At that point it had done about 80000km.

I got it serviced right away and put in this oil ---> http://www.mister-auto.se/sv/motorolja/bolk-bol-d091020_g3224_a999BOL-D091020.html

During the next 10000km i've been forced to put in an additional 4,5-5liters of oil adding up to a consumption of just below 0,5liter/1000km in average.

However at the 90000km service i put this oil in http://www.mister-auto.se/sv/motorolja/shell-550021713_g3224_a962550021713.html

Last week i had just done 800km after the service and the check oil level came on again...

So in 800km the car had now used somewhere between 0,5liters to 1liter of oil.

After a call to Skoda they claim that the car is allowed to use up to 1liter of oil per 1000km.

The car is still covered by warranty through my insurance company, however they will never accept any claims unless Skoda actually says there is something wrong.

This car is actually eligble for the long life service, which would mean that my car would use between 15 to 30liters of oil in between services, does this really seem reasonable??

If i remember correctly the manual states that up to 0,5liter/1000km is OK, but Skoda dealer states 1liter, what is correct?

Is there anyway to get my car fixed or am i better of just trading it for another brand?

I do really like the car, except the fact that i constantly have to refill the oil and that I'm fearing the upcoming MOT, since i dont really wanna know what all that oil is doing to my cat...

Someone got their 1 litre in 1000km mixed up with the 'May use 0.5 litres in 1000km'.  which is only a figure not something to be accepted.

(see pinned engine failure thread at top of this section.)

So discount that person as someone that has a clue.

Ok great..

The person i talked to was actually the person at the service and repair desk.

I also asked her several times if it was considerd to be normal as long it used no more than 1liter per 1000km, after that she first stated that consumption, every time she confirmed this.

The best part was that if i wanted them to perform the oil consumption test they would measure the oil and if the car would have used a maximum of 1liter for 1000km, they would charge me with 200GBP for the test.

I guess i will have to call back to the dealers..

The same person also looked up the oil consumption problem and said that she had never heard of it, or the fact that there should be solutions for it.

Even though it is quite easy to find links to it and also to the actual TPI.

Does anyone here have access to the actual TPI and what it says?

The number is supposed to be 2027920/1, but i cant find the actual TPI and it would be interesting to be able to show the Skoda dealer it, since they cant find it..

Edited by Snowman89

I might also add that i used the car for about 2000km between the last times i washed the car.

Under that time i managed to generate quite alot of black soot around the exhaust on the rear bumper of the car.

Almost like if the car was a diesel and were running rich..

The car is not using loads of fuel or putting out blue smoke..

I have a 1.8tsi and it uses almost no oil (maybe 100ml/7500km).  That is using 5w-30 502.00.  If you are using 1L/1000km of 5w-40 502.00 there is a problem as it is a thicker oil when the engine is at operating temperature.  Many of the TSI engines suffer oil usage if they have been poorly run-in (you need to keep them on boost and get pressure behind the rings in the first 1000km).

There is a paragraph in the owners manual that describes oil usage.  As Offski said, it says "MAY use UP TO 500ml/1000km".  I even think it might say "during the running-in period".

From an engineering stand point it's unacceptable (and I'm qualified to make that statement.   I know my 1.8tsi regularly gets 800+ km between fuel fills, so I'd be asking the service advisor if they would think it acceptable to spend whatever a single 1L pack is (at a guess 100Krona?) at every fuel stop to keep oil in the engine. 

I'd also ask how blowing 1L of oil out of the tailpipe every 1000km fits in with Skoda's environmental policy.

If your Service Advisor is clueless then I'd ask to speak to the Service Manager.  If that doesn't work then ask to speak to the dealer principal and escalate directly to the local Skoda importer.

Ask them to carry out an oil consumption test.  They may want to charge you for it but the cost is refunded if a fault is found

Edited by brad1.8T

Does anyone here have access to the actual TPI and what it says?

The number is supposed to be 2027920/1, but i cant find the actual TPI and it would be interesting to be able to show the Skoda dealer it, since they cant find it..[/size]

You should be able to download that TPI if you register and pay to access ERWIN.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/322342-erwin-registration/?hl=workshop+manual

• 1 month later...

Okay so about 3weeks ago i had the dealer start an oil consumption test.

Today i "finished" the test and got the results.

1,1liter of oil in 1000km.

The car has been scheduled for new pistons and rods early december..

However im curious why they are replacing the rods?

Does anyone know why they do that?

• Like 1

Recently bought mine being fully aware of the potential oil consumption problems but bought it from a Skoda dealer with warranty included. Car had done 78,000 miles, one owner, water pump done under warranty in 2014. 

After the first 150 miles the oil low light came on. Surely not? Oh yes, it was using a litre of oil in about 300 miles. Oil consumption test done and confirmed too high.  

Although I had a warranty it was obviously covered by the sale of goods act as I had just bought it.

I could of had a refund but it's probably the best all round car I've had since a Lexus RX400h (although not perfect, what is?) and that includes a brand new Yeti which was ok but nothing special.

Pistons, rings and rods, but when the head was taken off it was covered in burnt oil so totally stripped and cleaned. They are also going to do the timing chain and tensioner.

Will be picking the car up today so hopefully everything is ok. In theory the engine should be good for tens of thousands of miles now the work has been done. If it's not in the next few months I can always get a refund.

Up to now the dealership has been excellent in every respect. Silbury Skoda, Cramlington, Northumberland.

• 3 months later...

Guys, dare I ask how much such work is likely to cost me? I've now been tracking my high consumption and from the last couple of occurrences am adding 500ml of 5W-30 every 350 Km ;-). So I appear to be in the same boat - in excess of 1l per 1000 Km.

My 1.8 TSi L&K only has 60K miles on the clock and drives well. I normally drive in manual mode on the paddles, although do regularly let it change down itself. I like a sports feel when accelerating but then maintain a high gear cruising - effectively sports mode accelerating, drive mode otherwise. I'm aware this may not be the most environmentally friendly way to drive. Is it worth modifying this technique to temper my oil consumption?

I get my services done at the local dealer (Grey Gables), who advised tracking consumption when I complained. They did point out that doing the work described is likely to be far more costly than all the oil I'm ever likely to use, and that the high oil consumption won't impact emissions tests (is this point right?). So, ignoring the concerning environmental impact, what's likely to happen if I simply continue topping up each time the warning light appears? Is my engine going to go bang?

Other than the occasional and intermittent issues with my gear selector refusing to identify a gear (see my other posts for details) I'm happy with the car. Although noisy it's roomy, comfortable and can be fun to drive. I hadn't intended to part with this for another 40K, but may need to reconsider :-(

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Sorry not an answer to your question.

But maybe get that 5w 30 FS Long Life Oil (VW 504 00) drained and a new filter in and use 5w 40 FS (VW502 00) 

with under 10,000 mile oil changes and see if you oil consumption drops.

The Long Life stuff or variable servicing is just not worth using in potential oil users that VW Manufactured.

Yes, try the fixed service interval and 5w40. It may improve it for a while.  Not sure on emissions and if burning oil will eventually impact readings, seems likely to me it would eventually, certainly longer term it will start to impact things like the contamination on the cat converter and other peripheral sensors perhaps.

Eventually, you can get a failure. If you read through the sticky thread at the top of the forum you will see one with a current photo of a cyliner head with a failed valve and apparently a failed piston as well.  This was on a 1.8tsi with high oil consumption from 100k Kms. 

On 25. november 2016 at 00:16, simion_levi said:

I believe the piston rods are a different diameter in the replacements hence the need to replace conrods too.

Do you know about the difference?

Until 31/5/2011 used rods with diameter of piston pin 21mm, from that date then piston pins of 23mm ... 0,5l of oil per 1000km is maximum allowed per VAG concern, if anyone from dealership says anything else, he lie ... The reason for it? If new pistons and rods are to be fitted under warranty, material is paid by manufacturer, but labor cost by the dealer, that is politics of VAG concern ...

Be sure that any consumption higher than 0,2l oil per 1000km will damage in longer term the engine and catalyst. Affected engines are the whole second generation of EA888 (1.8TSI-TFSI and 2.0TSI-TFSI) used across VAG roughly from end 2008 till mid 2011 ...

There are details over internet, see more here

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvwts.ru%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D192986%26st%3D0&edit-text=

or

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=cs&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhartogtuning.nl%2Foh_ht_news.php%3Ff%3D84

On 16/10/2016 at 11:43, brad1.8T said:

Many of the TSI engines suffer oil usage if they have been poorly run-in (you need to keep them on boost and get pressure behind the rings in the first 1000km).

Brad, can you elaborate on this please? Handbook says something along the lines of running in gently for the first 500 miles or summat and that's what I've been told in the past in general, but is this wrong to you, am I misunderstanding your boost comment, and how do YOU drive in a new block??

Brad is right to a point about the running in. Many high powered motorcycles were found to have increased oil consumption if run in too gently. Several German and American magazines stripped the engines and found the oil had coated and contaminated the cylinder bores and effectively stoped the piston rings from sealing against the cylinder walls. However the problem with the 1.8tsi engine is a poorly designed oil scraper ring so the running in process may have less of an effect.

Just topping up the oil might last but it's a lottery, as when mine was stripped, the cylinder head and valves were very badly coked up with burnt oil, so eventually this could cause a catastrophic failure inside the engine. Also the catalytic converter will be contaminated with oil so it may well fail an MOT emissions test or throw up a warning light.

On 3/11/2017 at 22:05, blackspaven said:

Brad, can you elaborate on this please? Handbook says something along the lines of running in gently for the first 500 miles or summat and that's what I've been told in the past in general, but is this wrong to you, am I misunderstanding your boost comment, and how do YOU drive in a new block??

I don't thrash my engines or redline them stratight away but I do keep them on boost.

When I picked up the 1.8tsi in 2008 I drove it was a 45kmh drive from the dealer to home along a motorway.  I kept the car in 3rd and varied my speed between 70kph-110kph all the way home (traffic flow was suitable for the task). I doubt I exceeded 3500rpm. 

The next day I was taking the family out to the country (400km round trip) and used 3rd & 4th all the way.  Again, varying speed and keeping the boost up without lugging or over-revving.  Maybe I hit 4500-5000rpm a couple of times.  By the end of the week (1000km) I was occasionally going to redline.  It only needs to get there a few times.

I'll copy the text that I have said once in a different topic:

Just heard a story from a guy who had this oil consumption problem (not on Skoda, though). He went to a dealer and he suggested him to drive harder (the car had automatic transmission that used to choose low rpm). He didn't believe much in that but as the alternative was rather expensive engine repair, he decided to have a try. For some time he switched to manual gear change and after ~2k km he managed to have no oil consumption at all.

Basically if you choose a 2,0 TSI engine then you should't drive it like a 1,4 MPI.

Hmmm, I've always accelerated hard on my 1.8 TSi. Yes the car was a compromise (space for kids to university, comfort, etc) but I wanted a "fun" ride and have used the rev range fully. OK, I don't think I've red-lined it many times, but I drive in manual as I want response. So I don't believe this is the full story to oil consumption issues, which I now seem to have.

That being said, I may have been gentle in the first few hundred miles. Frankly I can't recall, but I believe that was the advice at the time :-(

It was a VW thing.

Fundamental Design, manufacturing, materials, component choice, quality control failures and a non acceptance from VW that such a thing happened.

3 monkeys, and treat customers like mushrooms.

So you buy / lease and treat the car like any other and you might or might not be lucky and have no issues, or have them resolved or be told by VW and Dealerships Jog on you moaning ratbag VW dont build Sh!te engines.

(If you lease then you are lucky as someone else owns the car / vehicle, often VW Finance, sadly some mug might get it as a 

VW, Skoda, SEAT, Audi Approved used car with a VW Warranty, not worth the paper it is written on often, if you even got that paper.)

You either make the best of it, or sort it, or get an Independent Experts Report, a Legal Eagle and you get on with Court Actions against the VW Group, 

but then they are not into defending the indefensible in Courts and Judges reaching a ruling.

They the biggest manufacturer in the world sometimes have to 'Assume the Position',  & take it without lubrication. Pay the money out the lying barstewards.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Posting back. I've been monitoring 500ml top ups for the past couple of months. I'm getting through a litre of oil every 600Kms! Just spoken to my local dealer (Grey Gables) and they are pricing up a full engine replacement :-(. I have a 59 plate, so well over the 5yrs in which I could maybe expect assistance from Skoda. But I've only done 57K (miles) and didn't really expect this much cost for my Skoda ownership....

That is very high. You would of possibly had 6 years under consumer rights in which to take action against the selling dealer, but you are past that too now. The new engine replacement from the dealer is probably going to be uneconomic unless they take it on the chin and really look after you. You may need to think of some other options.